Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

In case you ever wondered about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT__8bXtOX8
Needlessly opaque like the rest of the game.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

What's even the point of having AC without THAC0? :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flannelette posted:

That's actually significantly simpler than what I expected. The only thing it could do with is an on-screen representation of how many hits each piece has left until it breaks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honestly I’ll take that armor system over Doom’s where I didn’t learn until Plutonia that there’s a difference between green and blue armor beyond 100/200 points it gave you and how you have to remember which one you last picked up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I like how the Copper mod for Quake 1 handles armor, in that there's a difference between the different tiers, but they'll "degrade" to lower tiers as your armor gets closer to 0, so 25 armor protects the same amount no matter what armor you picked up.

In other news, here's a big-rear end new devblog for the Master Chief Collection, answering such questions as "where's the loving Reach sound fix" and "Forge when" in graphic detail. Also: Jetpacks and Warthog hats.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

Honestly I’ll take that armor system over Doom’s where I didn’t learn until Plutonia that there’s a difference between green and blue armor beyond 100/200 points it gave you and how you have to remember which one you last picked up.

I replay Doom and Doom II once a year and I'm just now hearing about it from this post.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

I guess you were supposed to RTFM? It was 1993.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

The manual hints at but does not elucidate that the green Security Armor absorbs 1/3 of damage taken until depleted and that Combat Armor absorbs 1/2 instead.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
goddamn the doom manual owned

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

verbal enema posted:

goddamn the doom manual owned

Kablooey time!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never had it as we only played the shareware version with the first ep when I was a kid. I didn't play the full game until I played Doom95 at a sleepover.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

You're not going to know not to hit green armor when you have a bit of blue armor left from it I think. It seems to imply that you always get the best results from picking up every armor you find which is only true taken across the life of the armor and not if it will actually save your health from fatal damage.

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's actually significantly simpler than what I expected. The only thing it could do with is an on-screen representation of how many hits each piece has left until it breaks.

Yeah I didn't know that you held onto the armor things like that until they broke, in the end you just pick up any armor that shows up anyway. Clearly trying to be like an rpg but not enough info and the game being too fast paced to care, I can just chug some pink juice if I get hurt anyway.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Dammit, I thought about finally sitting down and playing Death Wish with Blood: Fresh Supply, but now I want to wait for this new episode to come out. :argh:

What is Death Wish like in general? Blood in general is on the difficult side, but is Death Wish harder?

I think Death Wish is easier than the base game, if only because of the hitscan enemy placement. Whenever you enter a new area I made sure any hitscanners either wouldn't be looking directly at the player or were so far away they would need to move a bit before firing. This affords you a moment to react to their presence, making the encounters more fair in the higher difficulties. There are a few times I didn't do this, but still telegraphed their position so you aren't caught off guard (like a bathroom mirror that shows you what's around the corner in the reflection). I always run through new levels a few times on extra crispy to make sure there's enough ammo and no cheap deaths. There's a GmanLives video review that emphasizes the difficulty, but that's based on an old version (1.3) that lacked sufficient health pickups among other things. I'm currently working on new levels for 1.7 and trying to resist poking around in the old content too much.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Punch-Out DOOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RU04WPrfgU

This thing has got to get nominated for a Cacoaward

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Flannelette posted:

Interesting.
During my recent (March 2020) playthrough of Hexen 1, I noticed that armor tends to fall apart after 3 minutes, even while not in combat. I was using GZDoom, I chalked it up to maybe hitting a weird bug. The biggest issue with Hexen 1 is the gameplay followed by the boss fights. You will hate the final level of Hexen 1, regardless of what character you pick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Dark Army: Uprising Remastered is a massive single player TC for Return to Castle Wolfenstein providing some more Nazi paranormal experiments to slice into bratwurst with chaingun fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQL7qURV83M

The author of NBlood and PCExhumed is up to something...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh48FPXKuNM

Civvie Is Empty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzAjixbXMk

EDIT BECAUSE SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENS AFTER I DO A NEWS UPDATE:
https://twitter.com/ShadowWarrior/status/1278697416435343361

The Kins fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 2, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

why companies try to make 'sexy zombie' concept a thing??!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Because they failed to understand the symbolism in Silent Hill 2 re: the nurse monsters.

To be fair, Konami themselves failed to understand the symbolism as well

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turin Turambar posted:

something something eros vs. thanatos something sexy + gross = creepy something something gamers like boobs

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did anyone talk about MechDoomer because that mod loving rules, I love stomping around in a Mad Cat and blasting barons with medium lasers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

The Dark Army: Uprising Remastered is a massive single player TC for Return to Castle Wolfenstein providing some more Nazi paranormal experiments to slice into bratwurst with chaingun fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQL7qURV83M
I've been sort of interested in trying this mod for years now, but the trailer makes it look lit it commits the too-common mod sin of making impressive looking maps that are really just empty rooms to get shot to death in.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I had totally forgotten this game even existed, I watched someone do an LP of it many years ago and I was intrigued and wanted to buy it, then I forgot about it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angry_Ed posted:

Because they failed to understand the symbolism in Silent Hill 2 re: the nurse monsters.

To be fair, Konami themselves failed to understand the symbolism as well

So, your post led me to a bunch of silent hill wiki articles (no, not THAT SH wiki), and goddamn. Just read about Homecoming's Sepulcher, and was reminded of Angela's 'Abstract Daddy' :stare: :gonk:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kamrat posted:

I had totally forgotten this game even existed, I watched someone do an LP of it many years ago and I was intrigued and wanted to buy it, then I forgot about it.

I watched the same LP, and while I was not struck with an urge to buy the game it has always rattled around in my head as that "one weird sorta-compelling Russian edit: okay Ukrainian shooter (that's not that one, or the other one, or that other other one)".

Oh right, I think that's where I first learned the word laudanum and then later down the line learned what it actually was and went "ohhhhhh".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 3, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I hope Shadow Warrior 3 excises a lot of the RPG cruft but still keeps the far-to-high gun count of its predecessor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hopefully they fired every single person that wrote for Shadow Warrior 2 and rehired the people that wrote Shadow Warrior 1.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want the sequel to Shadow Warrior 1 that Shadow Warrior 2 very clearly wasn't

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I want the sequel to Shadow Warrior 1 that Shadow Warrior 2 very clearly wasn't

Basically this.

I will also accept a build engine sequel

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

something something eros vs. thanatos something sexy + gross = creepy something something gamers like boobs

It's mainly the boob bit, can't be mid 2000 eastern euro jank without pointless boobs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

blyattlefield

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zeether posted:

Did anyone talk about MechDoomer because that mod loving rules, I love stomping around in a Mad Cat and blasting barons with medium lasers

I gave it a try and didn't really seem very good to me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I gave it a try and didn't really seem very good to me

You know what mod disappointed me? The RE4 Mercenaries one. Man, I had high hopes. Then again, the last time I played it was years ago, so maybe it's been updated? It just felt really janky.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Fallom posted:

blyattlefield

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish more people were making retro FPS :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wish more people were making retro FPS :(

There are so many, its a surfeit of choices.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
do i gotta mod thief 3 to play on expert from the start sigh

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Relin posted:

do i gotta mod thief 3 to play on expert from the start sigh

That's only the tutorial mission, after that you get to choose expert.

I think you need to mod it to raise the difficulty in the hub-world though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drat, I've reached the point where I'm going with lzdoom instead of gzdoom, because gzdoom keeps crashing on my 10 year old Mac pro.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
OSX's support of the stuff that makes GZdoom work isn't very great at present and only gonna get worse. I'd not expect to see OSX ports for much longer, so maybe a good time to learn how to boot camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karasu Tengu posted:

OSX's support of the stuff that makes GZdoom work isn't very great at present and only gonna get worse. I'd not expect to see OSX ports for much longer, so maybe a good time to learn how to boot camp.

:negative:

Someday, I'll get a new PC....