Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Those 3 are all showing on my client as from "9 jul to 16 jul" so I wonder if they miswrote it or if its really going to be later today?

huh, it's not the 9th

that's next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sleeveless posted:

SR2 is the rare multiplatform game where playing it on console is preferable because the PC port is basically unplayable outside of an obscure combination of clock speed, operating system, mods, and the alignment of the planets so don't sleep on it. Though it has some weird balance and difficulty problems due to its age (sometimes your reward for completing a chain of activities is infinite ammo for a type of weapon, other times it's a coupon to save five bucks on healing items) so you might want to look up a guide or something if you get frustrated or stuck.

Volition announced a year ago they found the SR2 source code and are working on fixing the PC port but it's a two-man team doing it in their spare time and not an actual official remaster so who knows when or if we'll get it.

the gentlemen of the row mod basically fixes all of that, or did the last time i booted it up a few years back. who knows if the march of operating systems has invalidated that.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sleeveless posted:

Volition announced a year ago they found the SR2 source code and are working on fixing the PC port but it's a two-man team doing it in their spare time and not an actual official remaster so who knows when or if we'll get it.

Iirc Gentleman of the Row is what gave that modder a job at Volition, and that's probably one of the people behind the code fixing so I'm sure it'll get done

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolguye posted:

the gentlemen of the row mod basically fixes all of that, or did the last time i booted it up a few years back. who knows if the march of operating systems has invalidated that.
The guy who did Gentlemen Of The Row back in the day is the producer on the updated port. The sole programmer is Minimaul, who did a bunch of SR2 mod tools before doing contract coding work for Volition.

It's being done "on-the-side" in both guys' spare time, so it was slow-going even before Covid complicated matters. I dunno when it's gonna come, but I'm looking forward to it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, he's a goon too, his name escapes me at the moment but he's quality people. to the best of my knowledge his old work on gentlemen of the row still works, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think it was Idolninja?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HopperUK posted:

Correct.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

repiv posted:

huh, it's not the 9th

that's next week

I have no idea why I believed the Hue banner saying its the 9th instead of looking down on my own PC screen, my bad

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Coolguye posted:

Still works for me. For whoever was correctly talking up British Male and Hispanic Female voices, some of the coop mission stuff is extra hilarious with both of them saying stuff the whole time. Truly two great tastes that taste great together.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, Mike "Idolninja" Watson was hired to work as Community Manager during the development of Saints Row 4 and he's the reason the game had Steam Workshop support. He's in a good amount of videos that Volition puts out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_-3xb7FNc

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
But will they make the tow truck side progressions actually beatable?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Discendo Vox posted:

But will they make the tow truck side progressions actually beatable?

I never had a problem with those.

Heli missions involving power lines on the other hand...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also modern versions of Windows don't suffer from the CPU bug in the first place.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
All this talk about Volition just makes me wish FreeSpace was coming back....

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

A bunch of new games for Twitch/Amazon-Prime-havers: Turok 2, Dark Devotion, Kunai, Melbits World, Dear Esther, and Grip.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

oh dope posted:

All this talk about Volition just makes me wish FreeSpace was coming back....

I would love this. FreeSpace was so good. I hope theres a resurgence of the space dog-fighter genre with the star wars game coming out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ACValiant posted:

I would love this. FreeSpace was so good. I hope theres a resurgence of the space dog-fighter genre with the star wars game coming out.

Thaaaaat looks to be PVP-focused and is even going for the e-sports 5v5 thing. Would be very surprised if the campaign was anything more than a perfunctory sideshow.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Mordja posted:

Thaaaaat looks to be PVP-focused and is even going for the e-sports 5v5 thing. Would be very surprised if the campaign was anything more than a perfunctory sideshow.
You are probably right about those guesses. One can hope though! I backed Everspace 2 to scratch adjacent to that itch in the meantime.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ACValiant posted:

You are probably right about those guesses. One can hope though! I backed Everspace 2 to scratch adjacent to that itch in the meantime.

Did you play the demo? It's way more Freelancer than 'Space. It's also still available on Steam, actually.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mordja posted:

Did you play the demo? It's way more Freelancer than 'Space. It's also still available on Steam, actually.

I've completely given up hope there'll ever be a Freelancer-worthy game again.

And Freelancer was a miracle considering its hellish development.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stickman posted:

A bunch of new games for Twitch/Amazon-Prime-havers: Turok 2, Dark Devotion, Kunai, Melbits World, Dear Esther, and Grip.

Dear Esther is a game I’ve always wanted to try but could never quite pull the trigger on, so this is nice

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dear Esther is a game I’ve always wanted to try but could never quite pull the trigger on, so this is nice
it’s good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's alright. I think it's a very pretty game and a nice experience, but it's one of the games that caused people to get very lovely about the idea of "Walking Simulators" and I think it doesn't hold up as well as Gone Home does, for example. For free it's definitely worth playing through.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love Dear Esther. I feel like anyone's fun with it is going to entirely depend on whether they like the writing style.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Dear Esther is an experimental type of game. The story fragments you get may vary from playthrough to playthrough and in some cases they may allude to a different series of events -- they also used to somehow contradict themselves in the same playthrough, but that might have been a bug or intentional, I am unsure.

It's a good game though (that started off as a free mod) and it was stunning at the time, what they did with the Source engine, especially for the standalone game. Jessica Curry's soundtrack is really good too. I really like the idea behind the "This Godforsaken Aerial" piece. which is perhaps my favorite of the set. The tones are supposedly morse code for "Esther" repeating.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The thing to realize about Dear Esther is that it's a mood piece first and foremost. Approaching it even like other walking sims like Gone Home is going to leave you frustrated.

There is something of a concrete narrative you can piece together if you really want to, but that's better left to reading forum posts laying out theories after the fact than trying to puzzle it out in-situ.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I played it recently-ish and I didn't really have trouble following the narrative. I mean it's fragmented at first but then the threads start to tie together, and you start to realise what things are actually a reference to. It's definitely an art piece but I feel like that's more about how it presents and explores its story (which is more of a small, mundane, personal tragedy at the heart of it - but those moments can be bigger and more meaningful for the person affected by them, and that's what the game's expressing)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Also Dear Esther has an element of randomization which unfortunately means whether you have a legible story is literally up to chance unless you're willing to at multiple times or do homework afterward.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Watch Dogs 2 will be free for a very limited time - you have to have Uplay running during their presentation on the 12th.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1280172277406076928

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Remind me on the 12th

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

repiv posted:

Watch Dogs 2 will be free for a very limited time - you have to have Uplay running during their presentation on the 12th.

Yeah that's like a 45 minute window. Would suck to be in Australia where it's at like 4AM.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll be at work so I'll just hire someone to log in for me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

This is asking for trouble.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The servers will 100% get hammered

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And so, after a presentation with way more clicks than usual, they make the game free for a week as an apology.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Can't you just leave Uplay open? That's their launcher isnt it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not leaving my laptop open while I'm at work, I have a cat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Len posted:

Can't you just leave Uplay open? That's their launcher isnt it?

They have to ask you to log in because nobody willingly uses it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waffleman_ posted:

Turn off the thing that makes it go to sleep when you close the lid? Like people going "that's such a weird time frame that's impossible" are creating a problem that doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Waffleman_ posted:

Make your cat log into uplay.