Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The show has been very restrained in its portrayal of book material and that's something that I think has the potential to hurt the show in coming seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't remember anything about season 4

For me the highlights of the show are always episodes 1x4, 1x8, and then all of seasons 2 and 3 are a blur of awesome building tension. Season 4 just seems to drone on. Maybe it's because I binged it.

How can you forget the adventures of Amos and Marty?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't know why people always have issues with the death slugs. It's an alien world that no one bothered to survey all that thoroughly. There are plenty of things on Earth, where we evolved, that accidentally gently caress us up badly. It's amazing even more things weren't immediately deadly to human biology in an alien biosphere.

Personally I loved the small scale frontier setting, and I was along for the ride when everything that could go wrong went wrong is miserable succession. Exploring the unknown is not necessarily a fun and exciting thing. There's a lot of things out there that are both boring and deadly.

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, and in retrospect that's clearly because they got an absolutely miserable narrator for the audiobook, because the story is absolutely a great one that encapsulates a lot of what I like about the Expanse: A romantic setting bogged down by all sorts of miserable inconvenient realities in a story that emphasizes the human costs. That's kind of the premise of the Expanse. Space travel is cool, but our society is miserable and people will suffer and we should probably care about that.

Season 4 didn't have the same energy of things hurtling forward that seasons 1-3 did. It's very much a "dealing with consequences" season, as we get a look at how the amazing opportunity the gates give us can quite easily just result in more misery. I think it's important to dwell on that point and walk through it the way we did, lest we get blinded by optimism. A thousand more worlds are just a thousand more opportunities to keep loving everything up.

I've also read the books so I know there's a lot more crazy stuff to come and I'm fine taking my time getting there, so that might also have let me relax and enjoy the desperate misery of Ilus more.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, and in retrospect that's clearly because they got an absolutely miserable narrator for the audiobook,

FYI it was re-recorded with Mays. The only things with the Bad Narrator now are I think two of the novellas

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I liked the "what else could possibly go wrong?!" style of season 4, because of course that is how its gonna be on a previously inhabited planet with native flora and fauna. The only thing I didn't like was how everyone was wracking their brain on why Holden didn't go blind and not once did the doctor ask, or Holden say, "by the way, I have a ton of cancer killing drugs pumped into my body everyday, think that could have something to do with it?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That bit worked better in the books because by then everyone had been awake for like a week straight and was barely functional. It wasn't as clear on the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

S4 gave us the real Amos, showcasing Wes Chatham's acting range

why the gently caress there are no gifs of the full scene loving google deliver my search!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0tg4hZvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rM5VyxVHk

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjlV_QKTcoM&t=45s

gif would be perfect

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

man I love the expression Amos reveals when his human suit falls off

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pattonesque posted:

Wes did amazing things with this scene...I can't wait to see S5. :monocle:

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Another question, the visions of Julie that Miller sees in Season 2. Do we know if those are just hallucinations, or is it the protomolecule playing around with things to talk to Miller, like how protomolecule-Miller will eventually do with Holden?

I always took the fact that he saw that bird he was always seeing on ceres a few moments prior that this was definitely the protomolocule tapping into his brain the same way it does with holden later

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

It's cool but it seems uncharacteristic for Amos. He doesn't seem to show any sadistic pleasure from inflicting violence before this.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I think a desire to punish someone you deeply believe to be evil is different from a desire to inflict pain for its own sake.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Amos just had to shoot his buddy/sex friend because of murty. It's personal to him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bedshaped posted:

It's cool but it seems uncharacteristic for Amos. He doesn't seem to show any sadistic pleasure from inflicting violence before this.

He does very similar crazy eyes on Miller in early season two. He does seem to enjoy beating Morty more, but he also just had to kill Wei because of Morty so I think it makes sense that it's personal in a way Amos usually isn't.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Amos is a merciless killing machine that was badly damaged in childhood and I think he was abused a lot in like sexual way?
I guess he ended up force feeding his pimp their own limbs while keeping them alive to enjoy a bit of vengeance.
In the end he is pretty straight and down to earth guy with high moral standards that kept him from just wiping all the baddies off from the surface of Ilus so when he got a moral reason to beat the poo poo out of murtry yeah he was drat loving happy to do it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Amos is absolutely certain on his own that beating up Murtry is the right thing to do and that's why he's so happy imo

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Murtry also has a very punchable face, so we might all feel the same when presented with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rndmnmbr posted:

Murtry also has a very punchable face, so we might all feel the same when presented with it.

Yea, you can't put Burn Gorman in something and not have people want to see him get punched in the face.

I loved how Season 4 showed Bobbie is totally in control in any combat situation, like with the thugs that were making her nephew make space meth for them, she just gets tired of talking and kills them. BUt when she's put into a social situation with the Presidents Dinner, she has absolutely no idea what to do.

Would you call Amos a moral absolutist? Like he has a very clear sense of right and wrong, but he also is very quickly to go all Frank Castle on people who he sees are being bad.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Amos doesnt have a sense of right or wrong, or if he does it's very alien to standard human. That's why he relies on other people for that. What he does have is an understanding that when it's time for violence, he should be the winner.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Amos is absolutely certain on his own that beating up Murtry is the right thing to do and that's why he's so happy imo

It's this. Amos knows he's hosed in the head, but he lives in constant terror of hurting someone who doesn't deserve it, which is why he hangs around with a wet noddle like Holden. He needs that external moral compass.

He enjoys hurting Murtry, but mostly because it's a loving relief to have such a clear-cut case of someone who clearly needs the poo poo kicked out of them. It's less sadism and more catharsis.

twistedmentat posted:

Would you call Amos a moral absolutist? Like he has a very clear sense of right and wrong, but he also is very quickly to go all Frank Castle on people who he sees are being bad.

I'd say he's a nihilist who's self-aware about how unhealthy his world view is, especially for the people he cares about. He doesn't want to be that way, but his history and upbringing forced him so deep into that mindset that he can't self-correct without regularly loving everything up. A moral absolutist wouldn't constantly seek out external validation.

Again, it's why he relishes situations like Murtry or Strickland. Instances where right and wrong are so loving obvious that even he can't screw it up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think Amos also puts a lot of effort into his ~person suit~ and has to actively think WWHD in most situations. Being able to drop the facade and :airquote: be himself :airquote: when he is certain that Holden will approve is probably beyond cathartic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The "person suit" analogy is really bad because Amos isn't something like Hannibal. He has violet impulses, but he knows that it's almost always wrong to act on them, and he doesn't particularly like being that way. It's just how life taught him he has to be if he wants to survive.

Look at how he is around kids—i.e. totally chill—for an example. He doesn't try to hurt them or manipulate them, because they're no threat. When he's in a room with an adult, a huge part of Amos' brain is shouting at him "is it time for violence? How about now? Now? Better hurt them before they hurt you." Around kids or anyone who can't realistically threaten him that impulse settles down because it's fundamentally a hyper-active defense mechanism.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 5, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I always enjoyed Amos saying to Alex that he's just upset because Amos saved his rear end and made him look weak. Like it's so astute and absolutely correct, but is one of those circumstances where being technically right is not the best path forward.

Also, gently caress the actor who played Alex and ruined my current rewatch.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's especially lovely because he is a big reason why the show still exists.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey everyone, almost all caught up with the thread, can't wait for Season 5 to see more of my favorite character Alex! Now to take a long, deep sip of coffee while I skim the last few pages...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
:shepface: "I don't want to fight you, Alex. Please don't make me. Because if we do, who is going to fly the ship?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Look at how he is around kids—i.e. totally chill—for an example. He doesn't try to hurt them or manipulate them, because they're no threat. When he's in a room with an adult, a huge part of Amos' brain is shouting at him "is it time for violence? How about now? Now? Better hurt them before they hurt you." Around kids or anyone who can't realistically threaten him that impulse settles down because it's fundamentally a hyper-active defense mechanism.

This best example of his survival instinct was at the hotel shootout scene at Eros.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I loved how Season 4 showed Bobbie is totally in control in any combat situation, like with the thugs that were making her nephew make space meth for them, she just gets tired of talking and kills them. BUt when she's put into a social situation with the Presidents Dinner, she has absolutely no idea what to do.

If only there were cucumber sandiwiches
https://i.imgur.com/YpAWcHQ.mp4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVV-R6KaGc

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The most Infantry thing Bobbie has ever done

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think Amos also puts a lot of effort into his ~person suit~ and has to actively think WWHD in most situations. Being able to drop the facade and :airquote: be himself :airquote: when he is certain that Holden will approve is probably beyond cathartic.

Yeah I think this is it, although not sure about the Amos suit part. I don't think he's pure lizard brain or anything. Amos doesn't know right from wrong because of what he had to do to survive as a kid, but he understands that it's best for him to do right, so he latches on to someone who seems to be righteous. Being able to be certain that he's doing good and letting the mask drop off, especially after having to keep a lid on himself over an incredibly stressful couple of weeks... well that bloody grin says it all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Amos wants to be a decent person, he's also aware that he has no idea how to do so. And he is very practical with no compunctions about violence.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Amos wants to be a decent person, he's also aware that he has no idea how to do so. And he is very practical with no compunctions about violence.

Which is why he gloms on to every decent -- or even just well-meaning -- person he meets.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Norton the First posted:

Which is why he gloms on to every decent -- or even just well-meaning -- person he meets.

I think he specifically chooses Holden as the most moral person he's met and leaves Naomi for him like a wandering remora...

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I was also thinking of Prax and Anna. Amos gets a new best friend every season.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The real Expanse was the friends Amos made along the way...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think he specifically chooses Holden as the most moral person he's met and leaves Naomi for him like a wandering remora...

He switches to Holden after Naomi admits she lies to the crew. Amos has his weird crisis during Season 2 and then Naomi admits at the end of the season what she did with the protomolecule: “She's not the person I thought she was."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I bet having real bread and real cucumbers is an extreme luxury for Martians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

twistedmentat posted:

I bet having real bread and real cucumbers is an extreme luxury for Martians.

It seemed pretty easy for them to get waffles.