Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pretty good posted:

Still bitter I didn't get to experience life as a spoiled 90s teen with a bedroom TV/video games + my own desk + walls covered in posters tbh
loving right? I didn't grow up so poor that my family didn't have food/clothes, but once in 1999 I went to a rich kid's house and it was like "what the gently caress this isn't just some TV bullshit, you actually live like this?"

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I lucked into having the family computer in my room during my mid-teens (somewhere between ‘98 and ‘00 maybe?) because my mother decided she wanted to turn the office into a spare bedroom or something. I inherited the poo poo old TV shortly thereafter and got a splitter for the cable. Yes, we got cable internet by the end of the decade somehow, despite living in a pretty rural area.

I knew how insanely fortunate I was, especially given my tech-suspicious conservative parents.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

movie owns

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Randaconda posted:

If you like Clancy Brown, check out Pet Sematary 2. He's the only person who seems to realize the movie he's in is terrible, so he just goes all out.

Is it ZOEY or ZOWIE? My wife have been working on deciphering this for twenty years. We refuse to watch this particular movie with subtitles or look it up somewhere credible as that would ruin the mystique.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Is it ZOEY or ZOWIE? My wife have been working on deciphering this for twenty years. We refuse to watch this particular movie with subtitles or look it up somewhere credible as that would ruin the mystique.

I think it's Zowie, but it's hard to understand, and Stephen King didn't have anything to do with it, so there's not a book to go check or anything.

Movie is totally loving insane and well worth a watch, though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Randaconda posted:

I think it's Zowie, but it's hard to understand, and Stephen King didn't have anything to do with it, so there's not a book to go check or anything.

Movie is totally loving insane and well worth a watch, though.

Oh we love the movie, but we always point out the inconsistencies with the pronunciation of the dog’s name. It’s such a rollercoaster of nuttiness.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Oh we love the movie, but we always point out the inconsistencies with the pronunciation of the dog’s name. It’s such a rollercoaster of nuttiness.

I assume it was made for people who thought the first one was too lighthearted and happy

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:krad:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

loving right? I didn't grow up so poor that my family didn't have food/clothes, but once in 1999 I went to a rich kid's house and it was like "what the gently caress this isn't just some TV bullshit, you actually live like this?"
What really hosed me up was that my parents were doing ok in the 90s and my older brother had literally all that poo poo and I was so psyched to one day be allowed to kit my room out like he had, and then I got to spend my own teen years in the 00s couch surfing with relatives and family friends :smithicide:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAQTScuJJsA

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Randaconda posted:

movie owns

Aside from Randy Quaid (and the scene were the dog out jumped the death ray fire), this movie still stands the test of time and was Will Smith’s superstar coming out party. Love this movie too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Antioch posted:

If we're talking about bad TV from the 90s, let's talk about EARTH 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_2_(TV_series)

First of all, Clancy Brown and Tim Curry made this the best thing ever to 11 year old me. The Kurgan and Pennywise? Sign me the gently caress up.

Secondly, fantastic opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAwFtJrp3c

Dig that Star Trek wanna be orchestral music.

There was so much weird cheesiness. The Terrians are some sort of telepathic superspecies that can psychically tunnel through the planet, the little dudes are kleptos, and Tim Curry's BWAH! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--2_Jk2_byo

Earth 2 was one of those shows that grew out of execs wanting to capitalize on the Environmental movement. I remember it having a lot of touchy feely stuff in it.

Recomended was the intro for Space Above And Beyond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HLeLEmp1AY

It was a bout of USMC's who were fighting in a war againt an alien race called the Chigs which we rarely saw. Because its in space, they do both ground missions and space fighter combat. Had a good ensemble and each character was district. One of the interesting concepts was AI had been created and revolted (because their designers tried to make them more human by putting in the concept of taking a chance into their base programming) and humanity had created vat grown soldiers and once the AI war was over, these Invitro's had to try to integrate into society. It only lasted one season, so it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger.

NOW YOUR A MAN! MAN! A MAN MAN MAN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXaT_1I-vw

Those comic book pages have to be Leifeld, or at least someone making an conscious attempt to emulate his style.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

If we're talking Trey Parker/Matt Stone movies, it's hard to get more 90s than this clip from BASEketball.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sex Hobbit posted:

If we're talking Trey Parker/Matt Stone movies, it's hard to get more 90s than this clip from BASEketball.

Baseketball is honestly a classic. Plus the house band is Reel Big Fish.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Both the Nirvana and the Alice in Chains Unplugged shows were fantastic.

The saddest part of the AiC show was when Layne took off his sunglasses and you could see how far gone he was.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

PhotoKirk posted:

The saddest part of the AiC show was when Layne took off his sunglasses and you could see how far gone he was.

Oh, gently caress. Yeah, that set was SO good, but just depressing as hell to watch in that sense. I used to have Music Bank or whatever and it had a lot of footage of those guys in their apartment or practice space, etc. and that always struck me as upsetting too, because at certain points they genuinely seemed to be having fun. It’s been a long time since I’ve watched it though. I think it was on VHS.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
So yea. I used to think AiC unplugged was like the tightest hour long set, but it turns out the 50 some minutes of music took over 6 hours to film. You can hear their manager audibly cry on the album, because he did not think Layne could possibly perform.

Babylon Astronaut has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 5, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Independence Day has so many scenes that just drags it down to a boring crawl. I think it really doesn't hold up outside of the Will Smith/Goldblum scenes and of course the independence day speech. Special effects still look good because of the miniature work.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mu Zeta posted:

Independence Day has so many scenes that just drags it down to a boring crawl. I think it really doesn't hold up outside of the Will Smith/Goldblum scenes and of course the independence day speech. Special effects still look good because of the miniature work.

:wrong:

It's a perfect film with zero flaws

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The CGI was made in an era before motion blur was a thing so it's a little out of place here and there.

Also wasn't that like OS 8 or 7.5 on the MacBook? Lol

How da.fug he hacking without wifi?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FilthyImp posted:

The CGI was made in an era before motion blur was a thing so it's a little out of place here and there.

Still a good boy :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like Independence Day and I really don't like Roland Emmerich, but it's easily his masterpiece and despite being a really stupid movie filled with ugly stereotype it just clicks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trabant posted:

Still a good boy :colbert:
It's more the scenes with the alien ships. The assault on El Toro for example. That one's a little rough.

Good rear end compositing on that doggo though. Nice touch with the shadow on the wall and lighting the pup too.

That shot always stood out at me, even my first time watching. I think it's a combo of the dog being so sharp, the black levels being slightly off, and the fact that the fireball should make him look more silhouetted or something.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jul 5, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It's more the scenes with the alien ships. The assault on El Toro for example. That one's a little rough.

Good rear end compositing on that doggo though. Nice touch with the shadow on the wall and lighting the pup too.

That shot always stood out at me, even my first time watching. I think it's a combo of the dog being so sharp, the black levels being slightly off, and the fact that the fireball should make him look more silhouetted or something.

and how the fireball interacts with the tire

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

So yea. I used to think AiC unplugged was like the tightest hour long set, but it turns out the 50 some minutes of music took over 6 hours to film. You can hear their manager audibly cry on the album, because he did not think Layne could possibly perform.

Came to basically say this. There were a few songs that took about 4 goes to get right. Layne is just so out of it even by then. :(

Nirvana is the one that is basically one long take, theres basically only a bit of dialogue that is exempt from the "album" release and considering Cobain was all over the shop when live it was its absolute lightning in a bottle as far as quality.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
drat, I wish I'd listened to 90s music back in the 90s. I was more in to classic rock at the time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I grew up in a household with a single mother, two young gay boys, and me. If it wasn't coming down slow and easy via MTV, the radio, or friends I straight-up did not know about it. Then when p2p hit in the 00s I mostly spent it catching up with indie poo poo to impress girls and anime/video game soundtracks because we all go through that phase. I didn't really learn about poo poo like Alice in Chains until I was a goddamn adult and I hate that.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
That Dré is now blind from diabetes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Nkh2uPW.mp4
:allears:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
After all these years, it just clicked. The opening drum bit from Clarissa’s intro is the same opening drum bit from Tears for Fears’ “Broken”.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a huge crush on Clarissa back then .

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If they reboot that show Ferguson would totally be an alt right dude. Or maybe not since given her real life mjh might want that all for herself

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:qq::qq:

In the arrrrrms of an aaaaaangel

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:qq::qq:

In the arrrrrms of an aaaaaangel

I worked at the Clown when that was going on, and it was so insane the district manager said customers could either get them plain, or the way they come. No special orders. So many adults threw literal tantrums they couldn't get them without mustard or whatever.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I worked at McDonald's during a similar promotion - but it was .29 and .39. This was when everything was pre-made and we would just make like a hundred at a time and throw them in the warmer case. Special orders weren't allowed with the deal.

My friends and I would go there at lunch from high school and order 10 or 20 each. I think it was Tuesdays only.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SLOSifl posted:

I worked at McDonald's during a similar promotion - but it was .29 and .39. This was when everything was pre-made and we would just make like a hundred at a time and throw them in the warmer case. Special orders weren't allowed with the deal.

My friends and I would go there at lunch from high school and order 10 or 20 each. I think it was Tuesdays only.

Yeah, it was .29/.39 for me, too, but it was the same basic deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Randaconda posted:

I had a huge crush on Clarissa back then .

I agree with a Ranaconda post. These are truly the end times.