Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Anyone have any experience with Clayton F76+/Arista Premium Liquid developer? I'm starting up my film dev setup soon and it was one of the developers I've been looking at.

EDIT:

Derp, page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Megabound posted:

Looks like my Kiev that suffered mirror bounce.

It would be up to 3 lines, not all the time and no issue with longer exposures.

kiev sucks rear end

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I get better results from an ANR glass plate for 120. Can't remember if it was BetterScanning brand or not. It fits into the lower piece of my v550's holder in place of the plastic frame. Much better film flatness. Whether or not that does just a whole hell of a lot for the already marginal image quality of the v550 is kind of in the eye of the beholder IMO, but there is a noticeable (if not huge) improvement. The bulging and awkward shimmying of setting the film into the holder is made a little less annoying by the glass plate, too. You at least have the piece of mind of knowing that you couldn't do anything more.

Speaking of, my v550 is coming on with a green ready light, but that's it. Computer doesn't detect it, and there's no warm-up action. I'm hoping it's just the USB cable going out, but if not I guess I'll be in the market for a new scanner soon.

Kind of annoying because I shot and developed a true test roll from my new F3, but I can't get the frames scanned to check for shutter wackness. In the meantime, I shot this video of the shutter in action with my phone's slow-mo function. Anyone see any obvious signs of dragging, capping, etc.? Speeds shown are 125, 500, 2000..I think.

https://imgur.com/ntckyQP

(The GIF doesn’t play in my version of the awful app browser, but copy/paste into mobile safari does fine.)

you should be able to see it in the negative without scanning it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

Anyone have any experience with Clayton F76+/Arista Premium Liquid developer? I'm starting up my film dev setup soon and it was one of the developers I've been looking at.

EDIT:

Derp, page snipe

saving money on these dumb chemicals is a fools errand just buy the kodak or the ilford.

1 gallon of d76 from the kodak powder diluted 1:1 is good for 30 rolls , or $0.45 per roll. your savings are minimal.

Compare it to the 1 liter bottle of hc110 and that will get you 212 rolls for $35 = $0.165 per roll (dilution h)

if you really want to save money then you're in the wrong hobby.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

saving money on these dumb chemicals is a fools errand just buy the kodak or the ilford.

1 gallon of d76 from the kodak powder diluted 1:1 is good for 30 rolls , or $0.45 per roll. your savings are minimal.

Compare it to the 1 liter bottle of hc110 and that will get you 212 rolls for $35 = $0.165 per roll (dilution h)

if you really want to save money then you're in the wrong hobby.

Um okay. I never said anything about saving money, was just asking about if anyone had experience with that particular developer. I'm already getting a bottle of HC-110 and I was gonna get another developer to experiment with.

You do you, though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

VoodooXT posted:

Um okay. I never said anything about saving money, was just asking about if anyone had experience with that particular developer. I'm already getting a bottle of HC-110 and I was gonna get another developer to experiment with.

You do you, though.

Have you messed around with rodinal yet? It’s pretty versatile and keeps well. I like it. Better than the ilfosol 3 I got a while back (or I just don’t know how to use it well).

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I've never had any bad results with Ilfosol I just seem to have hard time finding good dev times for it. I got a few packets of expired D76 and so far it has worked great. I've not tried the D19 I got at the same time though, I think it was a little more expired though. I also have a box of TD-3 I haven't opened yet that I'm excited to use.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

President Beep posted:

Have you messed around with rodinal yet? It’s pretty versatile and keeps well. I like it. Better than the ilfosol 3 I got a while back (or I just don’t know how to use it well).

I've been thinking about it. I might get a small bottle down the road.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

GreaseGunner posted:

I've never had any bad results with Ilfosol I just seem to have hard time finding good dev times for it. I got a few packets of expired D76 and so far it has worked great. I've not tried the D19 I got at the same time though, I think it was a little more expired though. I also have a box of TD-3 I haven't opened yet that I'm excited to use.

I used some on a roll of FP4+ and royally hosed it up. Very well may have been user error.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I moved to Rodinal and HC110 from Ilfosol 3, mostly becuase of shelf life but also thanks to this real nice comparison Andrew & Denae did on Youtube:

All these are linked to big images.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I started with HC110 dil B, that other major Kodak developer that you replenish (they had tanks of it at the darkroom), tried microdol, etc. have always been completely satisfied with rodinal, nice results and depending on concentration you can do fast development or stand/semi-stand. And the shelf life of Rodinal is unbeatable.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 6, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So I have an M4 on the way, going to hop back into shooting some 35mm. What's the best bet for a classic looking B&W film on the market these days?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So I have an M4 on the way, going to hop back into shooting some 35mm. What's the best bet for a classic looking B&W film on the market these days?

Go buy a couple rolls each of Tri-X, HP5, and maybe FP4 if you want something smoother and finer-grained. Stick with the one that makes you happy.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Yond Cassius posted:

Go buy a couple rolls each of Tri-X, HP5, and maybe FP4 if you want something smoother and finer-grained. Stick with the one that makes you happy.

Oh, out of that bunch FP4 no doubt. But I saw there's a ton of B&Ws out there so was wondering if anything else might be worth a shot. Wish I could still get Verichrome Pan or Plus-X but those days are long gone.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh, out of that bunch FP4 no doubt. But I saw there's a ton of B&Ws out there so was wondering if anything else might be worth a shot. Wish I could still get Verichrome Pan or Plus-X but those days are long gone.

You can still get Kodak Double X which is similar to Plus X (just faster) and from around the same time period.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

You can still get Kodak Double X which is similar to Plus X (just faster) and from around the same time period.

Well poo poo, this is interesting. I'll have to acquire a few rolls and check it out.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

VoodooXT posted:

Kodak Double X...

Does it have a remjet layer?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Sauer posted:

Does it have a remjet layer?

There's no remjet on the black and white stocks.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Ooh, that's neato. Thanks.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Developed a roll of that Sonic 25 from FPP. I wasn't really pleased with any of it. I'm not very good at judging what will look good in high contrast black and white stocks. Maybe I should try it again and develop it in D19 now that I think about it.

Sonic 25 18 by Grease Gunner, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I have the same challenge. Not really experienced enough yet to know when I can pull off a good high contrast shot.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Any of you shoot with the Ultron 35/1.7? Ordered one to use with the M4 since the Leica stuff has gone up way too much lately (honestly, $1100+ for a god drat Summaron?! People are nuts). Really like how it draws compared to e.g. Zeiss.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Can't help you with that exact lens but I use a voigtlander 40/1.4 on my Bessa and I think it's great.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
thats the new hotness that replaced the 35mm f1.4 right?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Speaking of the voigtlander 40mm 1.4, all of these shots I just developed were taken with it. Mix of velvia 100 and ektachrome in 35mm.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nice.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

you should be able to see it in the negative without scanning it

The scanner had a bad USB cable. Check your USB cables, folks!

Whether it’s looking at the neg on a light box or viewing scans, the F3’s output has no other signs of shutter drag or bounce besides that one long exposure. That’s with B&W neg film though. Will see how it does with slides.

Nice camera. Too bad it’s 35mm.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anybody want to help identify some poo poo? Won an auction for around 140 bucks, with the below:

https://imgur.com/a/VyNncqF

So far I've identified:
Minolta XE-5 with 50/1.7?
Canon EOS 300 with 35-105
Canon EOS 1000F with ??? (looks like some lovely zoom)
Minolta 7000 with 35-80 POWER ZOOM
Minolta Dynax 8000i with ??? (this camera looks kind of neat actually)
Olympus 35 RC
Praktica LTL with some Pentacon prime
Voigtlander Vito? Not quite finding a matching one when I look online
Minolta 3000i
Minolta HiMatic AF2
Praktica that mostly but not quite looks like a Super TL

I figured I could keep one or two and just sell the rest on auction site after checking them out and doing better descriptions.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Man, that XE-5 is cool. Too bad I’ve sworn off Minoltas newer than the SR-T line.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

President Beep posted:

Man, that XE-5 is cool. Too bad I’ve sworn off Minoltas newer than the SR-T line.

I just picked up a beautiful SRT303b with the 35/2.8. The aperture blades are a bit sticky though so once I figure out where my spanner wrench has wandered off to I'll give cleaning them a go.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 23, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that's a vitomatic I

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

polyester concept posted:

that's a vitomatic I

Thanks! Just got a call from the seller who insisted on hand delivering the entire pile of gear since it was his uncle's and he was worried it might get damaged in shipping somehow. So will get it next week sometime. Hopefully some of the stuff is in working order, I figured that I might get a piece or two for my analog collection and part out the rest and recover the funds.

Also got an offer today on a C330f without lenses in unknown condition (but cosmetically nice looking) for 70 bucks shipped. I figured these things are loving tanks so perhaps it might be fully functional. Not sure how much--if anything--can be tested without lenses though so maybe I will just acquire a 55 or 65mm and see what happens. I had a C330 (non F) many years ago and other than being extremely heavy for what it was (compared to the 124G I used at the same time) the other thing I recall was some uneven--but not overlapping--frame spacing. Apparently it's not an uncommon issue and is generally from some hard grease forming a lump in the wrong place. So that ought to be fixable without too much effort I imagine, should this one suffer from the same thing.

Looking forward to getting back to more film shooting!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got the pile of gear today. 5 (!) like-new monopods, a couple tripods, a spotting scope, two VHS cameras (one looks completely new, plastic still on it), and all the cameras shown in the pics.

Chatted with the seller a bit. It all belonged to his uncle who was a bit of a manic collector, and he suspected the cameras had been used a handful of times at most before he got bored and got another one. The Olympus 35RC looks like it's basically new and everything on it works, so that alone is probably worth what I paid for the whole mess. The XE-5 had a sticky winding lever initially, but after working it a bit it's perfectly fine again. It's a big ole brick with an awesome viewfinder, so it will probably remain with me. (edit: the light meter even works! )

Also got a handful of Tamron adaptall lenses (with Pentax mounts despite there not being a single Pentax camera in the collection). 300/5.6, 28/2.8, and some zoom. I think the two primes are considered halfway decent so can probably sell those off.

Slowly going through the rest. The Canon SLRs power up and work fine, the Minolta ones have dead batteries so we'll see about those. Will need to locate a manual for the Praktica since I can't make sense of the controls on it. (edit:found one on Butkus)

Overall a successful purchase I'd say. The C330F arrived in the mail as well today. Don't have any lenses but other than a broken film spool knob it seems to be in quite good condition and the mechanical poo poo moves smoothly.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 29, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So Kodak is going to convert factory space to producing pharmaceuticals with a $765 federal loan? Will this affect film production and prices? Or is this not the Kodak that makes film and rather one of the other Kodaks that budded off from the Gizmo of Eastman Kodak when it got wet?

I guess it’s not that much of a stretch for a film company to moonlight in pharma. Fujifilm was touting a COVID vaccine it was trialing earlier this year.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Kodak Alaris is the one that makes Portra, Ektar and so forth. Eastman Kodak (which is the one that took the loan) makes motion picture film and industrial chemicals.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ah, cool. I thought that the motion picture film company was the same that made still photographic film, but I see now this is the crypto Kodak. Their CEO also appeared to be doing some pretty blatant insider trading before there was public knowledge of the loan. Good to know that none of this extremely based corporate behavior is going to kill Portra. The pandemic itself can take of that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

New arrival! Bought a whole R kit and was going to resell it all, but yikesaroo, this might stick around for a bit. Holy poo poo what a heavy little bastard, and what a viewfinder...

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Welp, my ME Super's electronics have died. I changed batteries and opened it up to see if there was anything I could fix but it seems like it's just succumbed to age. Before I just buy a replacement body, I was debating either getting another smaller SLR or maybe even a rangefinder. I have a Canon EOS 1n so I have another 35mm SLR but it's just a bulky camera to carry around for travel.

Any suggestions for the new travel unit?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Spotmatic? It has electronics but only for the lightmeter, everything else is all mechanical. It's pretty svelte too compared to later SLR bodies and there's a poo poo ton of amazing M42 glass around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pan F+ developed in Rodinal on a Fuji mini Tiara. Bumped up the clarity and contrast a little in Lightroom, I have no clue on how to do those things during development yet.

Boat House by Cacator, on Flickr

Distant Rain by Cacator, on Flickr

Fairview Mountain by Cacator, on Flickr