Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

The house ferrets is probably my favorite little detail in Dune

It will NEVER be relevant to anything

the ferrets are there to defend against assassin rats.

:widowsnypa::widowsnypa::widowsnypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

whydirt posted:

I may have committed some light jihad

I feel like the original quote works just fine in Dune

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Tobias stays on caladan because he's a neverdune

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Tobias stays on caladan because he's a neverdune

There are dozens still on caladan

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kiimo posted:

I want to cry so bad, but I don't think I can spare the moisture

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

I want to cry so bad, but I don't think I can spare the moisture

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
gains prescience

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 3, 2020

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

threelemmings posted:

gains prescience

Lol. Lotta layers on that one

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This teaser of dune messiah seems promising

https://twitter.com/Star5eed/status/1278780977792376835

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My fart is a killing word...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He gives air to the dead

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
nooooooooo leto 2 you cant do what im scared to do you cant just turn yourself into a monster to shape humanities collective unconscious so they become immune to prescience

Phlegmish posted:

Haha Golden Path go brrr

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Funny the topic of farts comes up right as I catch up with this thread (ok this gbs so no surprise).

Yesterday I let one rip in my husband's van, which he calls the Space Van. I was all "well, you want to be an astronaut, you gotta deal with farts in an airtight environment." This led to wondering what happens when someone farts in a space suit, or on the ISS (spoiler: they're both bad).

This in turn has me wondering what happens if you fart in a stillsuit, what the tube up your butt. Does it have a vapor release, or are you walking around with an air bubble trapped in your thigh pads?

Discuss.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unfortunately space suits have layers around the neck so that suit depressurization that happens below the neck doesn't suck out the oxygen from the helmet, so astronauts doing EVA don't really get to enjoy it by letting one rip and smelling the roses, as it were.
Also, unfortunately, the pressure in the ISS and similar places isn't that high - so you can barely smell anything, and with the constant circulation it gets scrubbed pretty quick, so you don't get to share it with the others.

That being said, it does remind me of one of my favorite space imagination things, which I've completely cribbed off Spider Robinson:
What happens if you build a perfectly spherical mirror around an astronaut, then give him a flashlight and tell him to turn it on?
And what happens if he puts it in his mouth?
As Spider observes, if you ask this of people they first think of a quick answer, then start getting a far away look in their eyes - and so far, nobody's come up with an answer.
The best part is, we could test it right now, if we really wanted to.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Distilling my big wet farts for the sietch

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Guild steersman propelling himself to the front of his tank with a perfectly calculated cinnamon and methane blast

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Funny the topic of farts comes up right as I catch up with this thread (ok this gbs so no surprise).

Yesterday I let one rip in my husband's van, which he calls the Space Van. I was all "well, you want to be an astronaut, you gotta deal with farts in an airtight environment." This led to wondering what happens when someone farts in a space suit, or on the ISS (spoiler: they're both bad).

This in turn has me wondering what happens if you fart in a stillsuit, what the tube up your butt. Does it have a vapor release, or are you walking around with an air bubble trapped in your thigh pads?

Discuss.

Depends on if it was a wet fart or not

If it was, I will duel you to the death for wasting moisture and marry your husband, and then the two of us will roam the desert in your van

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The true Naib doesn't let a spice blow go to waste. That's what the second tube is for, huffin farts.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also, unfortunately, the pressure in the ISS and similar places isn't that high - so you can barely smell anything, and with the constant circulation it gets scrubbed pretty quick, so you don't get to share it with the others.

So what you're saying is the technique of cupping your fart with your hands to transport it to somebody is vital in space?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Phlegmish posted:

Depends on if it was a wet fart or not

If it was, I will duel you to the death for wasting moisture and marry your husband, and then the two of us will roam the desert in your van

No true Fremen would ever leave a skidmark in his stilsuit

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Your shart was silent, desert fashion. Who told you how to do that?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My PIN is 4826 posted:

So what you're saying is the technique of cupping your fart with your hands to transport it to somebody is vital in space?

Between 1970 and just barely in time by 1975 for the Apollo-Soyuz-mission, NASA and various American subcontractors spent approximately 1.7 billion US dollars (adjusted for inflation) and countless engineering man-hours to devise a perfected small container, with associated tubing and pressure control devices, smell amplifiers and moisture retainers, and tiny laser-lighted disco balls, for the express purpose of providing the kosmonauts aboard the Soyuz a real, true grit American fart.

Once the two vessels had met and docked to each other in the cold harshness of space, and the crews of competing ideologies and superpowers met, the American astronauts began the elaborate process of unleashing the contents of their advanced fart technology, when the commanding kosmonaut officer walked up to them, unclenched his fist, and the aroma of Siberian despair was unleashed. "American pig-dogs, did pencil episode teach you nothing?"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Once again I must declare kanly on this thread.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

phasmid posted:

Once again I must declare kanly on this thread.

The art of Kanly still has it's admirers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bubblyblubber posted:

Your shart was silent, desert fashion. Who told you how to do that?

lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Halfway through book 3 there's a one time only spelling of "lasegun" which cracks me up for some reason

XA Shere
Apr 18, 2019
The Lithium [SALT] is in the soil. LoL.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ingmar terdman posted:

Halfway through book 3 there's a one time only spelling of "lasegun" which cracks me up for some reason

Lazagun

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lasag...ne? Garfield x Dune crossover now

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
They are supposed to be laser tigers, which could have easily taken down the twins. Some wires got crossed and they brought in Lazatigers instead and well we all saw how that worked out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Phlegmish posted:

Lasag...ne? Garfield x Dune crossover now

Shoving odie into the still
"Your slobbering will waste no more water"

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

They are supposed to be laser tigers, which could have easily taken down the twins. Some wires got crossed and they brought in Lazatigers instead and well we all saw how that worked out

What do you mean, the Tigers did kill poor Leto?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

10 cheap installments and these unbeatable* leaseguns can be yours!

*do not operate near shields or shield generating equipment

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

!Klams posted:

What do you mean, the Tigers did kill poor Leto?

Speaks the secret phrase to unlock ur hidden memories:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about halfway through Heretics now, and I'm mostly liking it. Trying to remember which Bene Gesserit is which is tripping me up a bit, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah Lucilla and Odrade seem almost interchangeable at the start, but they're going to be diverging pretty thoroughly and quickly soon enough

I myself am reading Chapterhouse, lol what is this about Secret Jews, every single new book needs to have yet another major element incongruously added to the pile

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I think that part actually fits somewhat. Herbert definitely likes the idea of religious lineages and oral history passed down through generations. See: tleilax, zensunni fremen, BG as a nonreligious example of a contiguous line of rite and ritual.

The reason it may feel a bit off is he doesn't really spend much time with them so just mentioning that they're "just" Jewish makes it feel a bit more anachronistic and just pulled from our time than the amalgamations zensunni or orange Catholic.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I know im recycling jokes here but nevertheless

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The part with the Rabbi an his family made some sense, I thought, since the scattering is a tale of people going through some of the worst times in history, from a famine and then spreading outwards only to crash into retreating waves of humanity. I think he probably threw that part in because the Diaspora would be a good example of what happens to large, closely-knit ethnic or cultural groups during the stresses of their time. It's not like he dwells on them having Jewish characteristics, I don't think. It's kind of in the same vein as Dune, where the Zensunnis finally settle on Arrakis after the Emperor has them moved from one lovely planet to another to keep them out of important affairs.

The kneejerk reaction a lot of people have is to imagine the bit from History of the World, but it's not like that and it contains a small but very interesting plot point to the end of the story. (The young RM who was awakened without BG training and maybe even without the Spice Agony, which is contrasted with Scytale, now imprisoned, and the "null entropy" capsule containing the DNA of all the Tleilaxu masters and their science project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
My friend is slowly going insane with the quarantine restrictions and picked knitting back up, so I designed a pattern for a scarf:

I'll post pictures of the finished product as soon as quarantine lifts or Shai hulud cleanses the land of the failson taint, whatever comes first.