Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

katkillad2 posted:

It's on your wish list probably because Valfaris is :black101: and a great game. Everyone should probably know by now if you like these sorts of games, tough as hell where you die numerous times before making progress. I also enjoyed Slain, but Valfaris is 10x times better in comparison. It's crazy how much they improved over Slain.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Switch performance of Valfaris, I played on PC. It was one of my favorite indie games of last year.

Switch performance is great on Valfaris and is leagues better than Slain. Slain allegedly got a 60 FPS update but it still feels sluggish. Also the combat, at least at the beginning, is very boring because you have a 3 hit combo and no real movement options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

DLC Inc posted:

holy gently caress I cannot remember the last time I actually got angry at a game until now at the endboss of Ninja Saviours. Legit one of the loving worst boss fights in any game I have ever played. It ruins the entire goddamn game it's so bad, I want to just delete the game now if this is what I have to do every playthrough.

The level 5 boss with the white hair was the one I got mad at. Even after watching 1cc runs on youtube I still can't figure out how to beat him beyond dumb luck. The final boss is a pain but once you know to throw the enemies up at him and to be a little careful with the telegraphed lasers it's really not so bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

katkillad2 posted:

It's on your wish list probably because Valfaris is :black101: and a great game. Everyone should probably know by now if you like these sorts of games, tough as hell where you die numerous times before making progress. I also enjoyed Slain, but Valfaris is 10x times better in comparison. It's crazy how much they improved over Slain.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Switch performance of Valfaris, I played on PC. It was one of my favorite indie games of last year.

God drat that's beautiful, gonna pick this up on Steam. Thanks for the gif!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
BTW, TWEWY Anime next year!!
https://youtu.be/PyIt1obb1dE

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Probably a dumb question but if I missed playing Animal Crossing for a couple of days, could I mess with the clock to get to still do those days? And if I do that, it shouldn’t have any impact on save files for other games, right? Like if I beat a boss in Hollow Knight on Saturday but set the time to Friday, nothing will change in the HK save, right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nanigans posted:

Probably a dumb question but if I missed playing Animal Crossing for a couple of days, could I mess with the clock to get to still do those days? And if I do that, it shouldn’t have any impact on save files for other games, right? Like if I beat a boss in Hollow Knight on Saturday but set the time to Friday, nothing will change in the HK save, right?

You can and it won’t mess with anything else. It’s really totally not necessary though unless you miss some holiday event you really wanted to do but couldn’t.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
But

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can and it won’t mess with anything else. It’s really totally not necessary though unless you miss some holiday event you really wanted to do but couldn’t.

But then my perfect streak of checking in at the ATM every day will be broken! :ohdear:

But yeah, thanks for the answer!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I just got a switch lite, two questions: are there really only two themes available? Is there a way to read the instruction manuals for the games? That was one of the best things about the 3DS and Vita.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nybble posted:

BTW, TWEWY Anime next year!!
https://youtu.be/PyIt1obb1dE

Man... when are they just gonna a sequel. IT always feels like they are building up to something and then they don't

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Botw Update.

Just now I completed Revali's champions ballad, after seeing a side of him I never go to see in the cutscene, we cut back to the real world. it's 30 minutes to sunset and Kass is there, he playes his song of Revali, a sad yet wistful song, the sun is setting to a magnificient panorama of clouds and the air is crisp, giving me a clear view of hyrule castle, the divine beast, and the beautiful setting sun.

this song is playing for reference:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyPdBS2DUY

Kass continues play the song as I stare off in the distance, remembering all the amazing sunsets I have been blessed to be able to see in my real life, in my childhood and how they made me feel, Remembering the adventures I've had in this game and the things I've done as I near it's end. The sad realization that I am saving a world that has moved on from me and the people I loved. The gold red light shines on myself and Kass.

The sun nearly sets, off in the distance a triangle formation of birds fly, giving me a feeling of intense emotional welling I havent felt since I've gone amazing journeys to National Parks, driven nearly to tears like it's the sunset ending of a Miyazaki film.

Life is worth living, bravely and to the fullest.

God drat. Nintendo. Just god drat what a masterpiece.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 5, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Picked up Okami HD a few days ago when it was 50% off. Still getting used to the brush controls.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

Picked up Okami HD a few days ago when it was 50% off. Still getting used to the brush controls.

As I recall, you should be able to swap which of the shoulder buttons activate the brush mode. I found it easier to swap that to the button on the left, as I recall, so I could hold the Switch with my left hand and draw with my right hand on the screen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Okami for PS3 like 5 years and got maybe an hour into it. The glacial pace of the cutscenes murdered any desire to play I had.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Al-Saqr posted:

God drat. Nintendo. Just god drat what a masterpiece.

b-b-b-but weapon durability!!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought Okami for PS3 like 5 years and got maybe an hour into it. The glacial pace of the cutscenes murdered any desire to play I had.

I played it way back on the PS2 so honestly I've been skipping a bunch of them. They are way slower than I remember but it seems to be an early game thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bleck posted:

b-b-b-but weapon durability!!!!

Weapon durability preys upon the weak-minded of us who never outgrew hoarding elixirs for boss fights. I’m started to think it might be genetic, like Cilantro.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Friends of Mineral Town in Five days. Still curious to know how it holds up in a post Stardew world. I used to love that game on the GBA and HM 64, but SV just took those formulas and ran super far with them.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Bust Rodd posted:

Weapon durability preys upon the weak-minded of us who never outgrew hoarding elixirs for boss fights. I’m started to think it might be genetic, like Cilantro.

I think honestly my biggest problem with RPGs is that I keep going back to the inn/base/poke center when that's an option instead of using items to push on, making dungeons or pushing through a new area take at least twice as long. When I was younger and dumber I just used poo poo! Or spent all my gold buying new gear at the store instead of saving it because i know I'll replace it with drops in an hour? Some games today I would've liked more if I was better at just not trying to be optimal and just hosed poo poo up instead.

In botw I was like 20 hours in when I stopped hoarding weapons and just always used the best I had. Sometimes this resulted in having slightly worse weapons for a harder fight, but most of the time it just meant I wasn't disappointed when I found weapons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Terminally Bored posted:

I just got a switch lite, two questions: are there really only two themes available? Is there a way to read the instruction manuals for the games? That was one of the best things about the 3DS and Vita.

Yes, only two themes.

No instruction manuals.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Phosphine posted:

I think honestly my biggest problem with RPGs is that I keep going back to the inn/base/poke center when that's an option instead of using items to push on, making dungeons or pushing through a new area take at least twice as long. When I was younger and dumber I just used poo poo! Or spent all my gold buying new gear at the store instead of saving it because i know I'll replace it with drops in an hour? Some games today I would've liked more if I was better at just not trying to be optimal and just hosed poo poo up instead.

In botw I was like 20 hours in when I stopped hoarding weapons and just always used the best I had. Sometimes this resulted in having slightly worse weapons for a harder fight, but most of the time it just meant I wasn't disappointed when I found weapons.

Someone posted here the comparison of the weapons to guns/ammo you would pick up in an fps.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, only two themes.

No instruction manuals.

lmao

We need a :nintendo: emote

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also the Switch shop continues to not have music which is the worst thing about it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Friends of Mineral Town in Five days. Still curious to know how it holds up in a post Stardew world. I used to love that game on the GBA and HM 64, but SV just took those formulas and ran super far with them.

I’m curious too. I’ve only played Stardew up to fall of the first year so I’m gonna do a full playthrough of this before I go back to it. I’ll give my thoughts here. It does have multiple QoL improvements itself over the GBA version.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I asked in this thread about getting FE 3 Houses or Xenoblade Definitive a while back, and I finally decided to go with FE just because it's a genre I've never played.

I played for a couple of hours last night, and all I've done is the opening battle, and wandered around the monastery and caught a fish and had lunch with some people.

(Totally did not get lost in the monastery and wander in circles for half an hour. Nope. That didn't happen.)

Holy crap there are a lot of menus and stuff though! Is it all going to be pretty easy to figure out without looking stuff up? I couldn't even figure out how to get access to the seeds I received after doing a quest where I planted a seed I got in the greenhouse. lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You’ll be able to figure things out without a guide. Just take it slow and mess around.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Squiddycat posted:

Also the Switch shop continues to not have music which is the worst thing about it

It's horribly sluggish as is, I don't trust Nintendo not to gently caress it up so I'll take the radio silence and deal with a nearly unusable shop vs a totally broken one

Just pull up some catchy elevator music on your phone while you shop, or better yet don't use the eshop because it's trash

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

lmao

We need a :nintendo: emote

It needs to be the :capitalism: emote except with Mario and “that’s Nintendo”

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The Switch OS is less than megabyte or some madness. I'd like more options but I can't complain about its snappiness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

antidote posted:

I can't complain about its snappiness.

Never browsed the sales section of the eshop I see.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Xbone's system menu causes its own sounds to skip and crackle, even on the One X, and there's no option to turn the sounds off. You'll also likely have to do a full reboot of the system from time to time to improve performance, something you never have to do on the Switch.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It needs to be the :capitalism: emote except with Mario and “that’s Nintendo”

Sure but really it could only ever say "Yah! Wahoo!!!"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mister Facetious posted:

Never browsed the sales section of the eshop I see.

It feels like we've just adopted the PSN store as the standard, where if there's a hiccup in your network, you're basically done searching for DLC add-ons for the week.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The Xbone's system menu causes its own sounds to skip and crackle, even on the One X, and there's no option to turn the sounds off. You'll also likely have to do a full reboot of the system from time to time to improve performance, something you never have to do on the Switch.

Whataboutism

No but seriously it's irritating how bad UIs still are in general, and don't even get me started on smart tvs

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah seriously. I have all three modern consoles and my one x is constantly needing a hard reset a few times a month just because something will randomly go wrong, like it can't launch games, sound errors or even loses my wired internet connection. It's such a trash OS. I wonder if they'll be able to start anew and improve it on the new Xbox.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah seriously. I have all three modern consoles and my one x is constantly needing a hard reset a few times a month just because something will randomly go wrong, like it can't launch games, sound errors or even loses my wired internet connection. It's such a trash OS. I wonder if they'll be able to start anew and improve it on the new Xbox.
IIRC the Xbox One actually has three OSes going via a version of Hyper-V. The frontend and UWP apps use a lightly modified Windows 10, games use their own dedicated "Xbox OS" and then there's the back-compatibility stuff. Since the Series X is back-compatible with the current-gen, I suspect they're not going to be completely rethinking the whole setup on the new machine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bunch of first party games are $40 right now including Mario Maker so loving buy it if you haven't already you freaking idiots.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

Bunch of first party games are $40 right now including Mario Maker so loving buy it if you haven't already you freaking idiots.

Hachi machi that’s a hell of a price for infinite Mario

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Kins posted:

IIRC the Xbox One actually has three OSes going via a version of Hyper-V. The frontend and UWP apps use a lightly modified Windows 10, games use their own dedicated "Xbox OS" and then there's the back-compatibility stuff. Since the Series X is back-compatible with the current-gen, I suspect they're not going to be completely rethinking the whole setup on the new machine.

:wtc:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's weird but running everything inside virtual machines has paid off in terms of security, the xbox one has never been jailbroken

there was an exploit in the browser that allowed running arbitrary code with low privileges but they couldn't bust out of the VM so it went nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

it also has the wrong kind of ram