Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Titanic posted:

No idea.

I'm in a hospital, trying to recover. These tiny posts are all my strength.

Star Citizen well probably be in development longer than I'll be alive at this point it feels.

:siren:A second iceberg has hit The Titanic:siren:
No sinking this time, get out of dry-dock soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

I'm in it for the long haul but god drat if we're still posting in this thread in another 8 years.

I guess it at least provides some continuity in life to hold onto. Death, taxes, and the star citizer thread.

We'll be posting from inside our Teslas, that we bought with bitcoin, as we wait to play SC on the car's Stadia.

Get well Titanic, remember that you have survived James Cameron messing around.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Torquemada posted:

:siren:A second iceberg has hit The Titanic:siren:
No sinking this time, get out of dry-dock soon!

He better get better! And quick!

I've been AWOL for years, but came back to see what Dapper Don has been up to these days. Only to find out he passed away over 3 months ago!

So sad rn.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

colonelwest posted:

If these numbers are real, this is never going to end. In another 8 years the 5 of us left posting here will be laughing at CIG’s 11th elevator rework.

Did goons from 5 years ago think 5 years later we would be talking about how SC surpassed the 300 million mark during a global economic meltdown and recession while they put elevator panels on the map?

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

kilus aof posted:

Scammers wish they had scam like CIG. No matter what happens Chris Roberts gets to walk away with millions. And he never had to worry about his target wising up or being raided by the feds. He doesn't need to flee to some country with no extradition, he can say in his house backer's money bought. At worst he maybe gets a civil suit from the Calders.

I dunno about this. SC probably isn't technically a scam, but as cons go is CR even that good? Compared to televangelists and ICO crypto queens and Madoffs of the world CR feels small time. I mean, a quick google shows CR's personal worth is believed to be in the 1-5 million dollar range. AFAIK in the world of shady capitalists or Wall Street sharks or whatever that is nothing to write home about.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I dunno about this. SC probably isn't technically a scam, but as cons go is CR even that good? Compared to televangelists and ICO crypto queens and Madoffs of the world CR feels small time. I mean, a quick google shows CR's personal worth is believed to be in the 1-5 million dollar range. AFAIK in the world of shady capitalists or Wall Street sharks or whatever that is nothing to write home about.

Well that's a key point though. No one scammed by this is.going to be important. By keeping the scam scope small, you make a good living for years and get to play director. Then when it collapsea, no one is going to care about some a bunch nerds overpriced jpgs bought over a decade.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOywJPI9uTU
I just rewatched this What Happened of Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning and I see a lot of simularities. A new start up trying to develop a super ambitious project and how that almost never works out.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Abuminable posted:

He better get better! And quick!

I've been AWOL for years, but came back to see what Dapper Don has been up to these days. Only to find out he passed away over 3 months ago!

So sad rn.

She’s a good ship.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the Squadron 42 Video? self.starcitizen

submitted 7 hours ago

I mean, look I understand. We all want to see new stuff and don't want them to break deadlines. Completely agreed and understandable. However, I can live without a trailer as long as they explain what they are doing and we see there progress in some form. The dives into star citzen, like with the vanduul and the monthly reports show that they are making progress and while I am disappointed in the lack of video, the amount of freakout since the end of Invictus week is a bit much. I'm more mad with the lack of attackable Idris in the next patch then the 42 vid.

i never cared about the sq42 vid!!!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I love that these people think the videos and reports mean CIG is "making progress."

After all, what is "progress" anyway?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

She’s a good ship.

ms titanic, get well soon
rock on

- a goon

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo posted:

You are awesome - just when I needed a good pick me up you post these for us.

Thank you.

You're welcome, I hope you feel better too :)

https://i.imgur.com/pK3rzDL.gifv

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Get better soon, Titanic!!

No lie, I hope this happens. Please start giving CIG 80 million dollars a year I'm begging you

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Set better goon, Titanic??

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'll be honest: it's driving me crazy that the 2020 lines don't follow the same colors. Crazy I tell you!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Did goons from 5 years ago think 5 years later we would be talking about how SC surpassed the 300 million mark during a global economic meltdown and recession while they put elevator panels on the map?

No.

Five years ago around now, a goon named “ohdeargodno” was posting video excerpts from Reverse the Verse 53, directing us to observe Chelsea Day’s eyeroll (a little past the 22 minute mark) and inviting us to speculate about what the hell was really going on at CIG LA.

And a few weeks later, Derek Smart would nail his first blogpost upon CIG LA’s door, and soon after, declare “The War on JPEGs“ had begun.

I doubt anybody posting back then (pro or con) would’ve believed that neither game would be released yet CIG doing better than ever (financially) in five years. It would’ve made no sense then and makes even less sense now.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Back when Uncle Derek was still the hero of the rebellion, whose shenanigans inadvertently raised the profile of the fiasco and successfully warned off uncountable would-be backers. Without his valiant narcissism, CIG would have even more money, although this is probably cancelled out by whales spite-backing, bankrupting themselves to own he who must not be named.

Good times back then, man. Ben. Sandi. The door. Chris throwing stacks of paper on the floor. Swedish meatballs, tickle tapes. Shaving jokes. What happened?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

What happened? ..... You know, you where there - they tried to drive a rover up the ramp and the wheels literally came off.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kosumo posted:

What happened? ..... You know, you where there - they tried to drive a rover up the ramp and the wheels literally came off.

I saw this live and I remember it like it was yesterday!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Danknificent posted:

Back when Uncle Derek was still the hero of the rebellion, whose shenanigans inadvertently raised the profile of the fiasco and successfully warned off uncountable would-be backers. Without his valiant narcissism, CIG would have even more money, although this is probably cancelled out by whales spite-backing, bankrupting themselves to own he who must not be named.

Good times back then, man. Ben. Sandi. The door. Chris throwing stacks of paper on the floor. Swedish meatballs, tickle tapes. Shaving jokes. What happened?

We got a few years of weekly stupidity from CIG, since they doubled down when they should’ve gone dark. But after CIG got a billionaire’s money, Chris belatedly realized “hey, maybe we should stop making complete asses out of ourselves all the time.” By 2019, Sandi bugged out, Chris got stage fright, and CIG pulled the curtains down. Now Lando scuttles out a couple times a week with retread content about sound design, or concept illustrations of new creatures that will never be in the game, and we all sit around waiting for CIG to do something, anything besides stalling for more time and fracking for more money.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

I love that these people think the videos and reports mean CIG is "making progress."

After all, what is "progress" anyway?

Somehow releasing an overdue update on the status of a delayed puff piece video about work on a game that is 5 years late is major progress for CIG.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Did the SQ54 update video go m.i.a. about the same time as Star Wars Squadrons was announced?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

Did the SQ54 update video go m.i.a. about the same time as Star Wars Squadrons was announced?

I’m sure that didn’t help things. Chris is so pissed about the whole thing (they even copied my NAME dammit!):

You hate to see it

quote:

EA is publishing a space combat simulation game. Who'd have guessed that would happen in 2020? The pattern of EA's Star Wars games has been reasonably predictable so far—DICE making a Star Wars FPS wasn't much of a stretch, nor was a third-person action game from some of the creators of God of War on PlayStation.

But a successor to the Lucasarts sims of the '90s? That seems like the kind of game that today's EA would never make.

Star Wars: Squadrons is a pleasant surprise. What's exciting is that the developers are openly owning this new game's debt to '90s sims, like X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. There was no subtlety from creative director Ian Frazier as he introduced the game at this week's EA Play event: He showed his own childhood drawings of the ships' cockpits from that series.

Clearly many others at developer Motive Montreal share his passion. And EA is even bold enough to call Squadrons the "definitive Star Wars pilot experience," which will no doubt be hotly discussed by a fanbase that hasn't seen a Star Wars game like this since 1999's X-Wing: Alliance. It even supports flight sticks, and VR will put us in those cockpits in a way the classic sims never could.

Could’ve been YOU, Chris, giving players the definitive immersive Star Wars dogfighting experience. But you just had to try to be a moviemaker again, didn’t you?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

G0RF posted:

I’m sure that didn’t help things. Chris is so pissed about the whole thing (they even copied my NAME dammit!):

You hate to see it

Could’ve been YOU, Chris, giving players the definitive immersive Star Wars dogfighting experience. But you just had to try to be a moviemaker again, didn’t you?

And I stood up and said:
"It should have been me
No, it should have been me!"
Jumped out of my seat and screamed "It should have been me!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lammasu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOywJPI9uTU
I just rewatched this What Happened of Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning and I see a lot of simularities. A new start up trying to develop a super ambitious project and how that almost never works out.

It might amuse you to know that they’re trying to rewarm that corpse AND curt schilling got chased off Twitter recently for being gross.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

No idea.

Star Citizen well probably be in development longer than I'll be alive at this point it feels.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :glomp:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Unless I missed it, they never mentioned exact numbers anywhere.
Just showed some meaningless graph.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

CIG better have a good accountant or a ton of that extra money is going to be taxed as income.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy. That's a lot of hate to poo poo out in 7 minutes.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

kilus aof posted:

CIG better have a good accountant or a ton of that extra money is going to be taxed as income.

Ortwin and his crack legal team are probably hard at work getting CIG declared a non-profit religious organization. Soon all of those JPEG sales will just be tax exempt donations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

In other scam news: Tesla just surpassed Toyota as the world’s most valuable auto maker by market capitalization, and is now worth $206 billion; even though it has less than 3% of Toyota’s sales.

I give up. Star Citizen will never end. Anyone want to start planing a party for when it hits $1 billion in funding?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 6, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In video game crowd funding “scam” news I stumbled across it the story of Paprium last night.

It’s a crowd funded Sega Genesis game that shows signs of Star Citizen.

This is a 3 part series on the dev of the game.

https://youtu.be/kXLtnqbeBNI

It started crowdfunding nearly the same time as Star Citizen and made lots of promises that were probably never able to be achieved.

Spoiler the game is still not out but supposedly limping along.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Here's some black ferrets for you, hope it helps :)

https://i.imgur.com/lF3ouRX.gifv
and other assorted black ferrets.

Never can get enough of them here ferrets.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

No idea.

Don't sink before Star Citizen does, get well soon!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

70 - 80 million dollars this year for what ... its just to much to handle

having said that i know a few people in business and some things you would not expect are absolutely booming ... guess a huge wad of beer money is flowing into SC while the pubs shut.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

colonelwest posted:

In other scam news: Tesla just surpassed Toyota as the world’s most valuable auto maker by market capitalization, and is now worth $206 billion; even though it has less than 3% of Toyota’s sales.

I give up. Star Citizen will never end. Anyone want to start planing a party for when it hits $1 billion in funding?

While the market value is absurd at least i can understand it, people feel that Tesla is going to be the next big thing and shake up the car industry and at least Tesla actually does something and sell products. I mean you can complain about the products and the CEO or what ever but right now you can sell you Tesla stock and get your money back.

SC on the other hand is just pile of napkins with concepts drawn all over them and some one claiming this is a product when it comes to tax time.

If CR ran Tesla they would still be doing cup holder development and claiming the cars will start pumping out the factory as soon as they work out how to make there new fancy fabric cup holder liquid not dissolve after coming into contact with liquids, but every one will fall over them selves for this never been done before cup holder !! and If you wanted your money back you can drive pas CR's mansion and just feel remorse.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

In video game crowd funding “scam” news I stumbled across it the story of Paprium last night.

It’s a crowd funded Sega Genesis game that shows signs of Star Citizen.

This is a 3 part series on the dev of the game.

https://youtu.be/kXLtnqbeBNI

It started crowdfunding nearly the same time as Star Citizen and made lots of promises that were probably never able to be achieved.

Spoiler the game is still not out but supposedly limping along.

Surely you mean Parpium, son.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

While the market value is absurd at least i can understand it, people feel that Tesla is going to be the next big thing and shake up the car industry and at least Tesla actually does something and sell products. I mean you can complain about the products and the CEO or what ever but right now you can sell you Tesla stock and get your money back.

SC on the other hand is just pile of napkins with concepts drawn all over them and some one claiming this is a product when it comes to tax time.

If CR ran Tesla they would still be doing cup holder development and claiming the cars will start pumping out the factory as soon as they work out how to make there new fancy fabric cup holder liquid not dissolve after coming into contact with liquids, but every one will fall over them selves for this never been done before cup holder !! and If you wanted your money back you can drive pas CR's mansion and just feel remorse.

Yeah, a more appropriate comparison in that respect would be Theranos, not Tesla.Tesla at least actually has a product.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is it fair to say Chris Roberts is the Jar Jar Binks of game development or is that unfair on Jar Jar?

(Any goon able to Photoshop a Jar Jar Binks/Chris Roberts/:iiasb:?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CIG Board member, Roberts family estate owner, and seemingly former VP of Marketing :sandance: wrote and directed a short film last year called “Sonny”. Maybe it was already discussed but I don’t recall seen mention of it...

Plot is kinda interesting...

quote:

Sonny is overweight. His clothes are tight and uncomfortable, his job selling above ground pools and spas is a joke and for the icing on the cake, his wife--who is really too good looking for such a specimen is sleeping with the owner of the company. Today is the day the Sonny is going to get his revenge. Except today is also the day his nine year old daughter has told him a very silly and complicated joke. And it made him realize that today might not be the best day to throw his life away.

That sounds like a Sandiesque plot alright... sneering derision for working class schlubs, and for husbands in ill-fitting clothing + solidarity with wives who married beneath their object value...

Was it The Agent who said Sandi’s got her own production company now and that she’d be cranking out socially-minded films and entertainment down the road? If this is an early entry, I look forward to seeing what else she cranks out down the road... She’s definitely got her finger on the pulse of Santa Monica trophy wife grievances.