Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

xZAOx posted:

It's not a lot of equipment - it's just a bow. I got my +3 for 5ex, but it was corrupted and happened to have the right sockets. Normally they are 7-8ex. I think TR is really popular this league.

Before that you can use a garbage rare bow with +1 to something useful, and after that a 5-link Silverbough for a whopping 20c. Drop in an Empower for 8c (although there are 1-3c listings too). I don't know which "normal" 6-link gem you'd drop for Empower, just play around in POB.

You can self-craft a +2 6-link for about 30c, and a +3 for that plus 2 ex. 6 Porcupine cards at about 4c each is a 6-link, and a Shrieking/Deafening essence of dread is about 8c to get +2 to bow skill gems. Crafting process I'm using is this.

Jinnigan posted:

p.s. has anyone got an updated version of the aura calculator?

https://poe.mikelat.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So is there some kind of standard, safe(er) way of getting exp in this game? The exp loss mechanic is destroying my soul. I hate getting to the end of an otherwise rewarding map and looking at that arena door and asking myself "Should I fight this boss? If I die ill lose a poo poo load of time....". Feels bad.

If exp loss and lab were abolished this would literally be my favorite game of all time, hands down. Hell, I would even take a huge exp gain penalty after say 85 or 90 to just not have to worry about losing an entire level because I happened to pop Sirus at the end of my exp bar.

I know the solution is "get good", but I just want to relax and have fun drat it....

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Don't fight the boss. Or run maps that aren't as juiced up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WTF BEES posted:

So is there some kind of standard, safe(er) way of getting exp in this game? The exp loss mechanic is destroying my soul. I hate getting to the end of an otherwise rewarding map and looking at that arena door and asking myself "Should I fight this boss? If I die ill lose a poo poo load of time....". Feels bad.

If exp loss and lab were abolished this would literally be my favorite game of all time, hands down. Hell, I would even take a huge exp gain penalty after say 85 or 90 to just not have to worry about losing an entire level because I happened to pop Sirus at the end of my exp bar.

I know the solution is "get good", but I just want to relax and have fun drat it....

If you want to relax and have fun shoot for level 90. You can beat Sirus at level 90, the last 10 hell levels are just for bragging rights.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

WTF BEES posted:

Man I struggle with this often too. Especially once I get like 70% into a level post 90.

I had Sirus up last night at 93.75. I was so struck by analysis paralysis that I quit for the evening. Today I just ran other maps until I leveled. Then I ran Sirus, plus I'm doing other "dangerous" things while I'm barely into the level.

If I step back, I try to remember that most builds don't care about points past 95. It still sucks though to see your exp bar plummet.

As for safe stuff - I find delving to be safer and consistent, but you're going to need some mapping obviously for sulphite. Of course you can also buy chuy runs, but that poo poo is expensive imo.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

It just seems like a glaring design flaw that a huge portion of the player base never gets this last 5-10 passive points. That's two small clusters right there! And I understand the argument that death needs to have consequences outside of hardcore, and I agree it does. But I mean, you already lose map portals which can already be heartbreaking enough, and the fact dying means an automatic fail for a LOT of mechanics (looking at you Blight).

I know I'm pissing and moaning a lot, and yeah I'm just venting and shrieking into the void. I just love this game SO MUCH. I picked it up less than a year ago and have 1200+ hours into it already, and I'm STILL learning BASIC things about the game, and that's rad as hell. It just has a bad habit of slapping the piss out of you in the worst ways sometimes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

puravida posted:

Yup, I’m following Esoro’s guide and have a 5L Silverbough, lv20 Toxic Rain and lv2 Empower taking the damage ascendanies first. In POB each pod is only around 70000 DPS which makes clearing and mapping pretty difficult - stuff eventually dies but its not particularly smooth or quick.

Even with Malevolence, 15 stacks of Wither and Despair the damage isn’t great - bosses will move out of your pods often too, which tanks your DPS. For a barebones starter maybe TR Trickster can work, but if someone is rolling a new character this league I definitely wouldn’t suggest it.

Hrm, I wonder what the disconnect is. I really had no issues with conqs nor bosses (aside from my own derps here and there), well before I had notable gear. Maybe check out some of your other pieces or your skill tree?

Aerox posted:

The best thing you can do is get your +3 bow ASAP and probably your +1 chaos gems amulet w chaos DoT multi and crafted chaos damage increase. Quality all your gems except vicious projectiles, get them all to 20, and get a level 3 corrupted empower. That should easily get you through red maps and you can start working on smaller tweaks to your gear to deal with Sirus.

Just noting to any other people thinking about TR, I didn't have any of that (other than 20% qual on TR itself) and was clearing red maps fine. I still haven't qualitied any other gems (besides empower and enlighten) because I'm tossing my prisms at more TR gems to try to corrupt +1 hehe.

But maybe my experience is the odd one out, if anyone else is struggling with TR Trickster like puravida is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Suspicious posted:

If you need a whole bunch of yellow and low red maps to get going just holler in global 5555

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, definitely do this. With the new atlas system, white and yellow maps usually just collect dust in most players' stashes.

Cool, thanks. I'm bad about asking for help in games (although you made me a set of gear in FFXIV one time Fister, thanks again!), but I'll give this a shot.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WTF BEES posted:

It just seems like a glaring design flaw that a huge portion of the player base never gets this last 5-10 passive points. That's two small clusters right there! And I understand the argument that death needs to have consequences outside of hardcore, and I agree it does. But I mean, you already lose map portals which can already be heartbreaking enough, and the fact dying means an automatic fail for a LOT of mechanics (looking at you Blight).

I know I'm pissing and moaning a lot, and yeah I'm just venting and shrieking into the void. I just love this game SO MUCH. I picked it up less than a year ago and have 1200+ hours into it already, and I'm STILL learning BASIC things about the game, and that's rad as hell. It just has a bad habit of slapping the piss out of you in the worst ways sometimes.

The penalty is very small before you get to at least like 94-95. If you're dying every map, that's a sign to improve your build or run easier maps.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

WTF BEES posted:

play slower, run your red maps magic/blue, or sacrifice some damage for added tank

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

WTF BEES posted:

It just seems like a glaring design flaw that a huge portion of the player base never gets this last 5-10 passive points.

Two things about that:

1. Most of the player base doesn't even hit level 90, let alone anything past that.
2. Getting to 95 and beyond is designed be a grind.

In terms of total XP, 90 --> 100 is more XP than 1 --> 90, and that's not even considering the XP penalty that you really start to feel around level 92. Hitting level 100 is literally in a challenge called "End-Game Grinds". This is super-duper intentional and I don't see that ever changing.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Yeah, they made 95-100 harder when people started counting time played in days instead of weeks

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Papercut posted:

The penalty is very small before you get to at least like 94-95. If you're dying every map, that's a sign to improve your build or run easier maps.

I'm thinking I'm just running way too juiced up maps when my goal is exp. It's just real hard not to run some 120% corrupted, delirium'd, elder influenced monstrosity when the opportunity presents itself.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
they doubled the xp needed to go from 99 to 100 because streamers were reaching it too quickly

WTF BEES posted:

I'm thinking I'm just running way too juiced up maps when my goal is exp. It's just real hard not to run some 120% corrupted, delirium'd, elder influenced monstrosity when the opportunity presents itself.

sounds like you already know why you're dying so much

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

sounds like you already know why you're dying so much

I have no argument for this. It does indeed sound like I need to get past my own anger and frustration, and alter my approach to what "end game" should be for me.

Edit: I'm also kinda salty ED/Contagion spellslinger can't take me as far as manual cast. I just switched over and man hitting a pack with contagion and then MISSING with ED is just.....oof.

I still say gently caress lab though....

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 5, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you use ED first, then contagion after. ED also has a small AoE when it hits now, though you should still get +1 pierce somewhere for easier usage.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Crafting is easier than ever for tr tricksters. You can get a 6 link bow from porcupine cards or imperial legacy, or buy one for under 20c. Then use shrieking essence of dread for about 6c, about 1 out of 10 times you will also roll +1 to all gems. Another option is fossil crafting with corroded metalic and pristine, or there are other options that are similar. Craft chaos dot multi and your done. Attack speed is also a big dps increase if you get lucky. With a +3 to bow gems setup instead of support gems it makes more sense to use efficacy, damage on full life or increased duration. So for under 100c you can get a 6 link +3 bow with a little luck.

The expensive way of doing it is using a higher level bow so you can roll the higher tier, alt aug regal till you get damage multi or attack speed and +1 to all gems, or zeal essence till you get skill bonus, and then multicraft, +2 to support gems and chaos dot multi. The crafts are 4 ex, but getting the base takes a lit of time and who knows how much. You could also start with a fossil for extra quality then enchant for quality to attack speed or area of effect.

Crafting the skill amulet needs a lvl 82 hunter influence, currently these are around 50c for the base. Then both the all chaos skills and chaos dot multi are what you want, and there are only a few other chaos mods. Between reforge with a chaos, reforge chaos are more common, remove a chaos and add a chaos, augment a chaos you can hit both easily. Those are all common t1 seedcrafts so you have a lot of chances. If you get lucky and roll all dexterity skills you can add both chaos multi and all chaos skills. The same seedcrafts are useful for cluster jewels. Especially remove a non chaos and add a chaos, you can get 3 notables on large clusters easily with how common the seedcrafts are

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Also mirage archer means you can move around during the boss fight anytime it isnt safe, and you still do damage. And higher attack speed makes it safer to attack. Wither on spell totem and witches brew flask help a lot for single target damage

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I tend to make a conscious effort to separate times I'm trying to level from times I'm trying to do difficult content. If you set a goal for your mapping session of clearing your next Sirus, for example, you should not care very much if you die, unless you die too many times and brick the fight of course. Conversely, if my goal is getting 2 passive points, I'm not going to care if Exilence says my net worth went down. By focusing clearly on one goal at a time, you'll progress faster overall. From there, you can do things like set yourself triggers where you'll switch goals. If I'm focused on clearing a round of conqs but I've done well and I've got to 80% xp, I'll often switch gears and do some delving, buy into a poorjoy or breachstone rota, or just chain some t10/11 maps to pick up the level and then go back to my prior goal. Most people with most builds can't do all the things at once, so pick one, focus on it, and don't be too worried if you're losing on some other metric that isn't your current focus.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pork never goes bad posted:

They're hard to get to chain without investment because the base and aoe are low, but the clearspeed increase is worth it for a lot of people - 10% faster is 10% currency gained if your survivability is still good. They also solve porcupines and other on death effects, and they're better in denser content than less dense, so they scale with difficulty.

I have used one on cyclone and it was nice for clear but not amazing, but when I used it on storm burst trickster with all the phys as ele and chaos scaling it chained really well and took the build from clunky to buttery smooth. It made both builds safer despite taking a survivability hit.

Oh okay, I didn't realize you could scale the AOE. That makes a lot of sense for what I'm seeing.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

you use ED first, then contagion after. ED also has a small AoE when it hits now, though you should still get +1 pierce somewhere for easier usage.

It.....it works like that? Why did I think you had to have contagion up first to spread Ed??

puravida
Jan 4, 2019

xZAOx posted:

Hrm, I wonder what the disconnect is. I really had no issues with conqs nor bosses

For sure, I’m probably missing something obvious so its good to hear that your experience with the TR trickster was way smoother! That bow craft tip above is super useful too, I’m gonna try that this afternoon and see if I can work it out.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

WTF BEES posted:

It.....it works like that? Why did I think you had to have contagion up first to spread Ed??

Are we the same person? I just gave away all my ED/C gear because I didn't like the way it played and thought the same thing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

WTF BEES posted:

WTFBEES posted:

Are we the same person? I just gave away all my ED/C gear because I didn't like the way it played and thought the same thing.

Uh...are you two the same person? :confused:

And the ED debuff will proliferate so long as the target has both ED and Contagion debuffs on it when it dies. It's sometimes easier to do Contagion then ED if the ED hit would insta-kill it, but since ED is a fairly slow projectile you can usually squeeze a Contagion cast in before ED lands.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 5, 2020

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

WTFBEES posted:

I'm gonna be pissed if we're the same person. Misconceptions about game mechanics are one thing, but having reality upended is another thing entirely.

That being said, it just seemed logical somehow that contagion had to come first. Like, the pipe has to exist before you can send water down it, or something.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

WTF BEES posted:

Edit: I'm also kinda salty ED/Contagion spellslinger can't take me as far as manual cast. I just switched over and man hitting a pack with contagion and then MISSING with ED is just.....oof.

You can do literally everything as spellsinger ED if you just work on your gear more. I planned to swap to self cast around red maps before the league but with how easy gear is this league I just never bothered.

Currently level 99.5, should finish it off in another 2-3 days.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

WTF BEES posted:

WTFBEES posted:

what the gently caress is going on

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

WTF BEES posted:

I have no argument for this. It does indeed sound like I need to get past my own anger and frustration, and alter my approach to what "end game" should be for me.

FWIW, I agree with you mainly. But skill points past 92 or whatever aren't needed. They're definitely nice, and you get stronger, but you 100% don't need them (esp since almost everything in the game can technically be dodged).

But yeah, I agree that it's a poor design. It's a grind, for sure, the exp gain alone is a grind. The 10% penalty though just makes people play in boring ways and I think it's bad and anti-fun. The only reason I think it hasn't been changed is because, as I said - it's not actually needed for anything.

WTF BEES posted:

gently caress lab so hard.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
it's 10 skill points out of 123 or whatever. it's just a carrot to make people want to level, even in your low 80s your gear starts to matter way more than your level.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Cinara posted:

You can do literally everything as spellsinger ED if you just work on your gear more. I planned to swap to self cast around red maps before the league but with how easy gear is this league I just never bothered.

Currently level 99.5, should finish it off in another 2-3 days.

Any pro gearing tips with it? I know looking at the "sheet dps" the game provides in its tool tips is a nono, but my Ed damage went up by orders of magnitude when I switched from my two +1 to all chaos gems wands to that one unique staff who's name escapes me.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I think you're talking about a Cane of Unraveling, I kept one of those in my stash in case I want to try ED/C later this league.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

UberDan's cremation archmage necro hits it's final form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-c6AzRwseg

That last phase of Sirus :aaaaa:

( POB for anyone interested: https://pastebin.com/fnUyG1TW )

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Self cast is always going to be higher damage, but you can get enough damage that it just doesn't matter for anything actually in the game. You can make a double +1 / chaos dot multi wand without too much effort with plants. Just get a ilvl 64 or 65 opal wand, get +1 spell skill gems, the only two prefixes left with a chaos tag are dot multi and +1 gems. If you want it to be a high roll it takes some effort but still isn't bad.

Lowlife lets you get actual auras as spellslinger still, so that's a large boost.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

If you don't like the xp loss, don't die. Its that easy, the game isn't killing you 24/7, its you that's dying too much

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What considerations would you be making as far as buying "a good base" to craft on, would it just be having a max implicit value and ilvl or are there some explicits that you'd start off with?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dance Officer posted:

Cluster jewels turned out to be a big boost to damage for my bleed bow glad, thanks whoever mentioned it. All I have to do now is save up for a 6l lioneye's remorse.

What was this advice again? Friend is doing bleed bow and he is saying his damage is poo poo unless he gets a 10ex bow or something.

btw, for ease of crafting is there a way to copy an item from the market and paste it somewhere where I know what kind of mods everything is?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Depends on what you're trying to craft. Ilvl is a factor, as is Influence. The base is often important, especially on weapons, body armour and all kinds of ES gear. Generally ilvl86 is the best, but its not always necessary and rarely even not useful at all

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

What was this advice again? Friend is doing bleed bow and he is saying his damage is poo poo unless he gets a 10ex bow or something.

btw, for ease of crafting is there a way to copy an item from the market and paste it somewhere where I know what kind of mods everything is?

Things you need for endgame content on a bleed bow glad:
Ilvl 83+ Elder Citadel bow (25c)
Lioneye's Fall Viridian Jewel (30c)

Craft a vaguely good bow with the elder bleed mod and you're good to kill some Sirus/Uber Elders

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

lampey posted:

Crafting is easier than ever for tr tricksters. You can get a 6 link bow from porcupine cards or imperial legacy, or buy one for under 20c. Then use shrieking essence of dread for about 6c, about 1 out of 10 times you will also roll +1 to all gems. Another option is fossil crafting with corroded metalic and pristine, or there are other options that are similar. Craft chaos dot multi and your done.
...chaos seed crafts...

I'm playing TR mines, but this has been my exact progression. What's nice about this is that it's a plan for smooth progression to get progressively nicer bows. I should also point out that porcupine cards give you an ilvl 50 bow, which is too low for fossil crafts to hit +2 bow gems (the essence method is fine though).

In addition to Hunter amulets, I've also spammed chaos flowers onto Hunter gloves and quivers. The chaos dot multi is very easy to hit, and it often even comes with some bonus chaos res, which you'd normally pay a premium for on other pieces. Between a high life roll, decent chaos res roll, and high ele res roll, I'd reroll chaos seeds until I'd get 2 of the 3, and bench craft whatever's missing.

puravida posted:

I’d honestly have to advise against TR trickster. It’s very, very difficult to get decent damage and clearspeed on the build without a LOT of +1 skills equipment, I’ve been struggling even in low yellow maps because the DPS just isn’t there and I can’t afford a 6-link at the moment.

For the same cost of a Silverbough + Jeweller's Touch prophecy, you can just make a Porcupine/Imperial Legacy 6L bow with +2 bow gem essence.

As TR mines, my damage was also lackluster until I got some cdot multi onto my gear (see above). The difference was noticeable ingame. I've also noticed that my damage drops off like a rock if I didn't have my cursebot with me, so maybe also look into a source of Despair or Despair on hit.

Withering Step also helps 'nuke' down a pack more quickly -- fire off your TR pods, pop your defensive flasks, and Withering Step and run into a pack.

I refuse to spend more than 1-2ex on my starter gear, so this is the trash gear I've been running with. Decently-juiced T16s are comfortable solo, and I've come close to beating AL7 Sirus with a cursebot (who also used up 4 of my portals because he was reading Reddit in between phases and got hit by the Rain of Stars move :argh:). I'm very bad at Sirus, so it'd certainly be very doable if I played better. (And probably also fill out my sockets and actually ran a guard skill, which I *just* realized I'm missing.)

((And don't copy my gear or setup verbatim though, this is my first time playing both TR and mines so I don't know what I'm doing. I've just had a very different experience from you, that's all.))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

EVIL Gibson posted:

I can't really comment on the bow craft, but I've been trying to get one for a while and I've not gotten anything that beats my Crimson Storm. From the pob'ing I've done, it looks like "60% chance to deal 100% more damage with bleeding" is the big mod to look out for. Otherwise, even 350+ phys dps bows aren't beating my lovely unique.

But if you're looking for bossing dps, I'd recommend looking into Assailum. They've dropped to 25c now, and even an uncharged shot will do like a million bleed damage against shaper.

In terms of cluster jewels; I wasn't told what to look for specifically, but I settled on a large physical damage cluster jewel with furious assault and exploit weakness, and two physical damage over time medium cluster jewels, with notables I can't remember off-hand. And a small life cluster jewel to get back to 195% life.

Getting the cluster jewels more than doubled my split arrow dps, with my lovely crimson dance bow.

You can probably craft the jewels yourself; for the damage jewels you're looking for physical mods, so harvest craft for that. For the life cluster, use life crafts. It shouldn't be too hard.

In terms of damage, the cluster jewels more than doubled my split arrow dps, and I'm clearing t14+ maps decently on my 5link lioneyes vision. Buying and crafting the jewels was also way cheaper than getting a 6link lioneyes, and way more damage.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 5, 2020