Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

100 lesbians drop out of a drone piloted by a masked blops guy in a desert bunker with a hologram president watching his every move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i want to get started w yakuza games and i just have a ps4 which should i start with ? i know zero is a prequel but is it a dece place to start the series

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

bump_fn posted:

i want to get started w yakuza games and i just have a ps4 which should i start with ? i know zero is a prequel but is it a dece place to start the series

Yes, it’s the best place to start, it doesn’t assume that you have any knowledge of the other games’ stories.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yes, it’s the best place to start, it doesn’t assume that you have any knowledge of the other games’ stories.

It's also a perfect game

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

It's also a perfect game

:hai: I think I’m probably about 75% or more of the way through 5 and I think 0 is my favorite so far. Other games might do individual specific things better but 0 is the best overall package, and has far and away the best substories.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my goal's to be done 0-6 by the time 7 comes out but these games are so massive and deep and i dont want to just race through them lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

my goal's to be done 0-6 by the time 7 comes out but these games are so massive and deep and i dont want to just race through them lol

I’m trying to do the same thing. 3 and 4 didn’t take too long but 5 is loving massive lol. I’ve heard 6 doesn’t have as much content as the others because a lot of the development time went to the new engine, but that’s fine with me at this point, that’s definitely one that I’ll be mostly interested in the main story.

It’ll be nice to go back to being Kiryu all the time too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my favorite gaming memory from last year was seeing that early leak of the battle system for 7 on april fools and going "oh cool, they put a ton of effort into that joke vid" and then finding out it was 100% real five months later and losing my goddamn mind

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’m trying to do the same thing. 3 and 4 didn’t take too long but 5 is loving massive lol. I’ve heard 6 doesn’t have as much content as the others because a lot of the development time went to the new engine, but that’s fine with me at this point, that’s definitely one that I’ll be mostly interested in the main story.

It’ll be nice to go back to being Kiryu all the time too

yeah i played a bit of 5 before i decided I was doing myself a disservice starting at the end and the character swapping thing felt better in theory than practice. the best part about it was the different fighting styles and 0 did those 1000x better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve had 6 for like a year and a half but I will not play it until I get through the others. I’m taking my time going through the series and I’m up to 4 now. Absolutely one of my favorite series of all time

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I just bought Kiwami. Trying to space them out in the hopes that 3 - 6 come out for PC by the time I get there...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Kiwami 2 is my next one. I'm excited to see the new engine and also spend forever platting it. I wish they'd do western releases of those Edo period spinoffs.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah i played a bit of 5 before i decided I was doing myself a disservice starting at the end and the character swapping thing felt better in theory than practice. the best part about it was the different fighting styles and 0 did those 1000x better

I don’t like how they split the characters up into sections so you play as one guy for a long time and then his part of the story’s done and you don’t see him again until the finale—0 having just the two protagonists and switching back and forth between them regularly as the stories intertwine was a way better way of doing it.

Also that the protagonists always have their own separate stories when the new guys work a lot better as part of a team than when carrying the story on their own. It was cool when they all met up at the end of 4 and then they’re all split up again by the beginning of 5 lol

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wish they'd do western releases of those Edo period spinoffs.

:hai:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I never finished 0 because I loved the side stories etc, but I couldnt feel the main story and just stopped playing once I did all the side poo poo. Sometimes I load it up to play and just do the hostess club for 3 hours

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ive only ever played Yakuza 0 but I feel like the thing everybody is quietly indicating but never really admitting is that 0 is the only one thats actually truly great and every other one is a bit of a letdown in comparison. Hope its not true and I still plan on playing all of them someday but thats just the vibe Im getting through gamer osmosis.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Ive only ever played Yakuza 0 but I feel like the thing everybody is quietly indicating but never really admitting is that 0 is the only one thats actually truly great and every other one is a bit of a letdown in comparison. Hope its not true and I still plan on playing all of them someday but thats just the vibe Im getting through gamer osmosis.

Most of the Yakuza games suffer from the same thing as Metroid Prime 2 and 3. They're really good but they can't compare to the other game in the series that is just flawless. That's my opinion anyway

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

Most of the Yakuza games suffer from the same thing as Metroid Prime 2 and 3. They're really good but they can't compare to the other game in the series that is just flawless. That's my opinion anyway

This. 4 is my least favorite in the series so far and it’s still very good, the others just range from “very good” to “flawless”

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

i think yakuza 0 was the only game ive played that was a recreation of a place ive visited and I liekd to walk around kabukicho and say "that building is from my game" out loud.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

when my friend and this rando from guam got into a fight with some japanese guys who threw chips at them for looking at their girldfriends i just stood at the side clapping over the top of my head

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

net cafe scandal posted:

I've gotten a similar vibe but I also get the vibe that Kiwami 2 and 6 get right up to 0's level. The writing for all the Majima Everywhere encounters in Kiwami 1 rivals the best 0 substories, but 0's main plot does such an airtight interweaving of Kiryu and Majima's storylines and so many of the bosses are just so absurdly badass like Kuze in the sewers

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

when my friend and this rando from guam got into a fight with some japanese guys who threw chips at them for looking at their girldfriends i just stood at the side clapping over the top of my head

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

net cafe scandal posted:

This is reasonable but I'll say the new engine in Kiwami 2 and 6 is in itself a massive improvement. Being able to seamlessly go in and out of buildings (and incorporate interiors into combat) is such a breath of fresh air

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Each Yakuza game is different enough from the rest that they're fun to play even if they're not as good as 0. I'd also say that Judgment is 0 level, it loving owns.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Take it to the Sega thread nerds. This thread is for talking about forced dog murder.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

Take it to the Sega thread nerds. This thread is for talking about forced dog murder.

This post made me realise that the world has instantly forgotten about tlou2 despite it being called the greatest PlayStation game ever made two weeks ago. Huh.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why you throw chip? <-- classic goon catchphrase lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This post made me realise that the world has instantly forgotten about tlou2 despite it being called the greatest PlayStation game ever made two weeks ago. Huh.

the only thing anyone will remember about it by the end of the year is the drama

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

maybe the rope physics

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an actual dog posted:

maybe the rope physics

username post combo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frenz posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Frenz posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Frenz posted:

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Frenz posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do people actually like it. I haven't seen anyone mention it outside of this thread.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Did anyone say Schindler’s Myst yet

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

Did anyone say Schindler’s Myst yet

nah. wouldnt be very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

Do people actually like it. I haven't seen anyone mention it outside of this thread.

I know some people who like it, they just don't spend all their time talking about video games so I had to actually ask them "hey did you like it." So, people that aren't us like it.