Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Huh, that plastic strip should be pretty flexible. I can't imagine it just snapping off like that unless it was already badly creased. It seems unlikely for the material or the molding to have been defective, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

Why do these provide more protection than an Alpinestars SMX boot? They don't look any more substantial than a hiking boot, but I don't necessarily know anything.

Speaking of! I ordered a pair of Alpinestars SMX boots off Revzilla, and when I went to try it on, this happened:

I'm actually pretty surprised, because I'm not some oafish brute. I am hoping it is some manufacturing defect with that particular piece of plastic and not a bad omen. :ohdear:

should’ve been more specific! the smx-1 boot was the one I was talking about. ankle high, not shin high

those smx plus boots look like they offer far more protection than the klims I posted

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got an Echo quick release clip drop-in D-ring replacement on the way today. Don't need to get rid of my D-rings so I'll probably just rubber band them down so they don't jingle around.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Any recommendations on helmet cams? Not looking for anything fancy for vlogging, just something for insurance/ticket backup.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Any recommendations on helmet cams? Not looking for anything fancy for vlogging, just something for insurance/ticket backup.

I was looking for exactly this and went with the Drift Ghost XL for the giant battery and waterproofing at a decent price. So far so good, the video quality is adequate and the sound quality is atrocious but it's very good as a helmet-mounted DVR as long as you remember to turn it on at the start of a ride.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So trip report on the Echo quick release clasp.

Seems really sturdy. Apparently exceeds DOT chin strap standards, whatever that means. It's smaller than it looks in pictures and was really unobtrusive on the ride, whereas before I was worried it would feel like a giant brick under my chin. The click in is really positive. Best of all, my d-rings don't really flap around at all, and the way I folded in my spare strap loop on the other side means I don't have any loose garbage flopping around under the helmet. I'm probably going to take a bit of nylon thread and sew the excess strap to .. itself .. in a really small spot as it's folded away just so it doesn't come undone.

But I'm pretty happy with it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm using Sena 10c as a combination dashcam/Bluetooth communicator and it works okay. Purchased 4 of them for multiple people, had 2 replaced within a warranty period for various defects. The warranty is rather generous, 2 years, and customer/tech support is excellent. They have nicer versions of that system out now, each with more features and higher-quality video. Also has built in radio tuner, if that's your thing. About 20k miles in 3 years, still going.

You can also have a dual camera system hardmounted on your bike for like $100, which is fine, if you only riding one single motorcycle. Amazon is chuck full of those

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
What's a good source for armor? My summer jacket has this bizarre (seemingly proprietary) sized armor pocket in the back, tailored so the only thing that seems to fit in there is this:

Problem is this seems to be out of stock everywhere I've looked. Measures 11.75 inches at the widest, 7 inches at the narrow part, and 17 inches long per the placeholder pad that comes in that pocket. And those are pretty weird dimensions compared to my other jackets and back protectors.

Any ideas?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s the Armadillo back protector which both Fieldsheer and Cortech appear to rebrand, but maybe you already know that.

This looks like a similar shape and dimensions. Maybe email Revzilla see if they recommend it as a replacement?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The D3O website has back panels in various shapes and multiple sizes in each shape.

Any recs for tail bags? I put the little Perun rack on the 690 tail and I'd like to get something that's good for jamming full of produce and a bottle of wine at the grocery store. The Mosko 22L and Kriega US-30 look pretty cool. I've always just done the backpack but I figured it's probably more comfortable to use a rack so why not.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I don't know about that other one but I have a Kreiga US-30 and it kicks rear end

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm leaning that way. The Enduristan tornado bags also look pretty cool and aren't as expensive as the rest of their stuff.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Yerok posted:

The D3O website has back panels in various shapes and multiple sizes in each shape.

D30 can also be cut with a pair of scissors iirc, so just buy whichever block is roughly the right size and shape down the corners as necessary

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looking for some advice on how to get leather to do what I want. My right glove's pinkie is twisting in a way that causes the seam to be directly below the fingertip which sucks. I figure it's because of how the force applied to the throttle affects the leather. I have attached a picture of it. Any idea how to change this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Not really. That's just the way the combination of leather patching, hand anatomy and grip position work out. If the glove started out straight and molded into that shape it will always try to return to that Form.

Have you applied enough leather conditioner/leather oil/ leather balm throughout the usage? Dry leather can move into twisted shapes through the wetting and drying cycles of your sweat.

E: alternatively you can try to go for a glove with a pinky finger lock next time that affixes the pinky finger to the ring finger. Not only will it stop your glove from rotating around the pinky but it will also prevent your pinky finger from breaking in the most horrible ways should you fall down unluckily.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 28, 2020

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Retiring my Bell RS-1 after 6 years for a Scorpion EXO ST1400 based on the Fortnine video recommendation. What won me over was the idea of the air bladder/pump system. As a kid I was denied Nike Pumps so I am getting to relive my childhood fantasy in helmet form. First off, the thing is loving LIGHT by comparison. Next, it ships with 2 visors, and one has pinlock mounts. And oh wait guess what they have a set of pinlock lenses included.

The one major issue I looked at was, according to the reviews on Revzilla, the ear cutouts were too small for the Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL speakers. Well poo poo, I love my Cardo speakers so I sent a message to the Revzilla guys asking them if this was true. They sort of hemmed and hawed and admitted it was true. I thought, "well I can probably modify it to fit" and ordered the helmet. It came in today and I went straight to work. At first, when I tried to drop in the speakers they did not fit. Then I spent a grand total of 5 seconds looking at them and realized they're not circular, they're slightly teardrop shaped. And guess what, the ear cutouts in the helmet are also teardrop shaped. Just loving align the shape (round peg/square hole?) and it makes an almost perfect interference fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJIjoE27F-Q

Anyway the road noise is significantly reduced. I am very pleased so far. The only problem is the dropdown sunshade visor came in damaged. I sent an email to Revzilla showing the problem and I expect they'll take care of it and send a new one. The only thing I'm going to miss so far is the transitions lens I had on my RS-1 that darkened in bright light. Is there a pinlock transition lens I can order?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
F9 has a new video up on summer gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWd4shge0qc

I've never heard of an armored shirt, I'm definitely intrigued and I might get one. However, while I'm always looking for cooler gear but I can't say that my jacket has felt like the weakest link, and I'm not sure what's so different about the pants he mentioned vs my current Klim Outriders.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not sure what is to stop that shirt from twisting in an off, leaving the parts where hard armour pieces should be meeting asphalt protected only by the spandex.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Yeah I don't know if I could trust something that apparently stretches so much to stay in place while sliding.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is he saying those jeans are better than mesh pants? I have a hard time believing that.

Also, does anyone make prescription goggles I can order online? I have prescription sunglasses, but I'd like to have some protection when the shield is up

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

Is he saying those jeans are better than mesh pants?

Nah, it's just that he'd rather wear one pair of pants vs mesh riding pants over "normal" clothes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You know you don't have to wear regular trousers under mesh riding pants?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ryan is talking about situations where you don’t want to look like a power ranger so it’s either trousers under mesh or riding jeans.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I don't think he's so much saying "here's the one and only pants", I see his videos as more like ways to build a versatile wardrobe based around where you're going, what kind of riding you're doing, if you're going to work or at just loving around, etc etc.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

ought ten posted:

Ryan is talking about situations where you don’t want to look like a power ranger so it’s either trousers under mesh or riding jeans.

But why wouldn't you want to?

Also I didn't know there was a standard for impact resistant glasses/goggles. That's kinda neat, much better than an openface. I know it isn't as protective but for 20-30mph riding around town where I usually with the visor open anyways and nervous about bees and rocks, I think I can live with that. Definitely want the full shield for the highway though.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 5, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My solution for not wearing power ranger pants at the end of a bike ride are just to bring a change of pants in a backpack or messenger bag or something.

After two hours in the sun today, I’m fully on board with investigating mesh pants though. My leather jacket was fine at speed. The denim Kevlar mixture keeping my legs a swampy mess was decidedly less “fine”.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Also, does anyone make prescription goggles I can order online? I have prescription sunglasses, but I'd like to have some protection when the shield is up

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I think I’m in search of some new short gloves.

These are the Dainese D1 Carbon short after less than 6 months of cumulative riding by a beginner.

Going to opt for a full leather palm on whatever I decide on. I love the fit but the wear is really iffy. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised if they wear through into holes before the end of the year.

Any recommendations for something in the $100-200 CDN range?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 6, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I say this pretty much every summer, but the hands-down best hot weather bike gear I have ever owned is the Rukka stuff made from Cordura AFT. Last I looked they make two versions, one moderately spendy that doesn't come with a goretex liner and :lol: :10bux: spendy that does. I have the cheaper stuff (AirAll, I think?) because zip-out waterproof liners are dumb.

Every mesh jacket/pants I've owned had big solid Cordura or leather panels in impact areas that didn't flow any air at all. The Cordura AFT stuff flows air everywhere, including the impact panels, and it makes an unbelievable difference in keeping you cool. I did 4 hours in the sun, 92F/33C, 50% humidity on Friday and wasn't even uncomfortable, much less miserable. I've done 12 hour days in it, mid-summer. You still sweat, but it doesn't feel like you're wearing your own personal sauna.

edit: AFT, not AFR

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 6, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm starting to think dainese gear is bad now. My brother's short cuff gloves had the palm panel just de-seam itself from pulling it on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I really hope not. Dainese is the only stuff I've got that has lasted. I hope they haven't dropped in quality. :ohdear:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a Dainese HF D1 and it was worth every penny, it's the only bike jacket I've actually enjoyed as an item of fashion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

I'm starting to think dainese gear is bad now. My brother's short cuff gloves had the palm panel just de-seam itself from pulling it on.

It isn't bad but it's very Italian, meaning overpriced for what you get and all the fiddly bits explode randomly one by one

A* are much better despite also being Italian, they seem to degrade more slowly and evenly so by the time the leather is worn through the stitching, zips etc are also hosed.

Fwiw my A* GP plus' are several years and two crashes old and they look better than that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

OK I think I’m in search of some new short gloves.

These are the Dainese D1 Carbon short after less than 6 months of cumulative riding by a beginner.

That's surprisingly bad wear, I'm actually amazed as I always thought of Dainese as being at least comparable to A*. My A* gloves held up way better than that, and those are now my "going to a concert on my bike and they may get stolen out of my tank bag" gloves once I got my Knox Handroids (right arm's favorite gloves).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dainese gloves have never seemed all that great to me. Their jackets are fantastic though, as are some of the boots. Just get Held or A* or some other gloves. Definitely more comfortable, less expensive, and more protective options.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah to be clear I have two Dainese jackets and one pair of street riding shoes that are holding up beautifully. If the tex hadn't eaten road twice all of my stuff would have been pristine.

The gloves have been off'd twice but none of the wear can be attributed to that. I think this particular pair may be bad because the palm and outer layer is mostly a dumb suede type hide which I won't be buying again.

I don't really want to start making the claim that they're indicative of Dainese as a whole but they ARE disappointing for $150 (CDN) gloves. I'll probably be looking to A* or something else for my next pair.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 6, 2020

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I only use shorty gloves in the summer.

Models I've tried, and can recommend:

Knox handroid pod Gen 1 and gen 4.
Feels very secure, design can be dividing. excellent quality. wore through a leather panel on the side of a finger after about 25k miles. Rebought the latest gen. scaphoid slider with d3o alike backing

Knox Orsa Leather MK 2.
More airy and a little less beefy than the pods, my lightest safe summer glove. good quality and fit. slider with d3o alike backing

Held sambia
My previous summer lightweight gloves, has palm sliders, but finger construction is a little too flimsy for my taste. replaced by my orsas. Superfabric scaphoid sliders

Waterproof shorties with no thermal liner:
Richa atlantic gtx gloves.
Very good waterproof glove, sliders + goretex. cheap for what it brings in tech. Superfabric sliders, d3o soft knuckle armor.

Lindstrands flex
Very good non-goretex lined waterproof, membrane is breathes ok and does not pull out. replaced after about 25 miles when the liner wore through on the inside of a finger. plastic slider with some padding behind

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

That's surprisingly bad wear, I'm actually amazed as I always thought of Dainese as being at least comparable to A*. My A* gloves held up way better than that, and those are now my "going to a concert on my bike and they may get stolen out of my tank bag" gloves once I got my Knox Handroids (right arm's favorite gloves).

:D

completely unrelated, but I've been running rev'it cayenne pros for awhile when it isn't above 90 and they are very good and seem to have better protection than my other alpinestars celer v2s, but for that expensive of a glove I expect them to work with a touchscreen and they do not. mildly frustrating, but I just bought some stick on touchscreen-compatible fingertips and they work well

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to flatten out seams in the finger of a glove? My new (last year) Helds fit pretty decent except for there's a seam on my left pinky that digs into my finger almost every time I move it. Really missing my old Helds which literally fit like a glove, but they're starting to get a bit threadbare.

Also I gotta get me a chin curtain for my HJC, I got back from a 6-ish hour ride and my eyes were so goddamn dry from the wind blowing up it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Manufacturing defect, return to Held for exchange or refund.