Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsterEnvy posted:

The pillars at the side are separate models.

I was thinking more about the center piece, where you'd have to paint the metallics on the two Necrons off to each side without getting any on the rest of the platform, and the green, glowing orbs behind them, where you'd have to thread the brush between the Silent King, his staff, and the two Necrons.

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Sub-assemblies are for cowards.

I mean, I haven't done any sub-assemblies, but it's due to poor planning, rather than personal challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can't take him seriously anymore after ADB posted an image from the IC's FB page comparing the ambassadors on either side of him to Statler and Waldorf.
https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/1279672378709151749

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's driving me crazy that both the Battle Sisters squad and the Dominions & Celestians are out of stock. I want to give you my money GW, get with te program! I might end up with Retributors out of impatience.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

It will come with a helmeted option. The preview image here shows it if you scroll right/left.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/04/warhammer-40000-preview-new-models-revealed/

Thank you, good spot on this!

Stephenls posted:

It matches the one from the Repulsor Executioner. You could steal the one from the regular Repulsor.

This is also appreciated! I have done a ton of work sorting bits recently (photos to follow) and am always looking for more helmets. I like that the Primaris and Smol helmets are interchange but some of them still look weird on the primaris bodies.

I built Feirros recently and also swapped his head for Marneus' helmeted one because lol Feirros head

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Simulating the devastating nature of a properly executed cavalry charge. You could make the reverse argument of "why wouldn't hitting somebody at full speed with a multi-ton bike be significantly more effective than doing the same thing with a guy on foot?"

Sure, but no other bike unit, even the melee focused ones like Nob Bikers, has a similar rule. And after waiting futilely to see the shadowspear marine rules get spread around to other factions I don't have much hope for widespread rule updates to bring other factions into line with the primaris.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

It’d be interesting to tally up all the new models released in 8th edition and see how many each faction got.

Is it something like;

1. Space Marines
-Huge Gap-
-no, seriously, enormous gap here-
2. Chaos
3. GSC
4. Orks
5. ???

Plus side; new 40k models that are coming out are pretty freaking sweet

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

It’d be interesting to tally up all the new models released in 8th edition and see how many each faction got.

Is it something like;

1. Space Marines
-Huge Gap-
-no, seriously, enormous gap here-
2. Chaos
3. GSC
4. Orks
5. ???

Plus side; new 40k models that are coming out are pretty freaking sweet

Oh I know someone has done that as I saw a screenshot of it elsewhere. I think the count was like 60 Marine models in total compared to not even half that for everyone else. So it's not like your prediction is completely out of whack.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

mr_stibbons posted:

Sure, but no other bike unit, even the melee focused ones like Nob Bikers, has a similar rule. And after waiting futilely to see the shadowspear marine rules get spread around to other factions I don't have much hope for widespread rule updates to bring other factions into line with the primaris.

I'm sorry that GW hasn't already updated all other similar units in the game to match a unit that *checks notes* isn't out yet.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I think it's a fair comment that GW are ignoring their established rules when they created these units. It's also fair to say that we are literally going into a new edition right now, and whilst existing codexes will work for now, there is a reasonable if not certain chance that new codexes will be following (if only to tidy up the mess that is 8th edition + PA + whatever else rules have been released for each faction). You'd hope that GW will similarly buff other units.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

it'll be a pain to paint if you're not doing it in sub-assembly.

This has been a requirement pretty much since sprues appeared with half a foot, the left leg and a loincloth being one 'piece'

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I can't remember the year, but not that long ago Space Marines were outselling all of Warhammer Fantasy Battle combined.

Games Workshop is Space Marines, Space Marines are Games Workshop.

(I'm a guard player, I'm acutely aware of the disparity).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like space marine releases because all these people start acting like their rights are being trampled on.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I like space marine releases because all these people start acting like their rights are being trampled on.

"All the loving space marine models!"
'you finished painting that Ork army you bought 3 years ago?'
"That's not the point"

:v:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

JBP posted:

bonus point when its someone who plays deathwatch.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Decided to take the plunge and snagged the Start Collecting Orks box with the Age of Sigmar starter paint set. Queued up a tub of Waaghn / Warboss / Snarsnik greens to help pad the color options, are there any other solid starter colors I should snag? Was considering Screamer Pink and Nuln Oil and maybe another red?

Hope there is room for another mattress in the basement for when my wife starts finding warboys everywhere.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

^burtle posted:

Decided to take the plunge and snagged the Start Collecting Orks box with the Age of Sigmar starter paint set. Queued up a tub of Waaghn / Warboss / Snarsnik greens to help pad the color options, are there any other solid starter colors I should snag? Was considering Screamer Pink and Nuln Oil and maybe another red?

Hope there is room for another mattress in the basement for when my wife starts finding warboys everywhere.

Mephiston red is a good choice and works as a highlight for Khorn red. If you plant on painting any yellow,grab averland sunset. It’s not the prettiest yellow, but it covers pretty week in 2-3 thin coats and you can layer a brighter yellow color on top of it more easily. Grab adrax earthshade if it isn’t already in that set.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

^burtle posted:

If you want a really bright skin, i like Moot Green (or for very bright skin highlights). If you want contrast options Snakebite Leather is a good one for doing the leather armor.

Also i don't know how many other orks you have, but get an HQ character, since the Painboy is no longer an HQ! I'd recommend whatever box comes with 5 nobz and the new warboss model. Or you can do what i've seen others do and buy a box of gretchin and turn the Runtherder into a Weirdboy.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Will add those to the list for the morning, thank you! This is my first box ever so I will eventually figure out who else I need to get my hands on I hope.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I really want to use orks, but I have negative desire to buy/paint/roll that many fuckin orks.

horde armies blow

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Having to paint another cadian model with huge arms and hands has seriously made me consider becoming a marine player so the line is working as intended.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

As a player who started his first-ever 40k army with the Primaris side of the Dark Imperium box, a large part of the reason why I am yet to start collecting a second army is that most models look so old and terrible by comparison. Militarum is a prime example of this.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really want to use orks, but I have negative desire to buy/paint/roll that many fuckin orks.

horde armies blow

Yeah I feel you. I really want an orc army but it requires a level of commitment I can only whisper darkly about.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gunder posted:

As a player who started his first-ever 40k army with the Primaris side of the Dark Imperium box, a large part of the reason why I am yet to start collecting a second army is that most models look so old and terrible by comparison. Militarum is a prime example of this.

Yeah I was actually ready to move on from marines but the new assualt and bike focus means I'll be extending my marine army out to the end of the year before I actually start sisters with any seriousness. Hopefully that means I'll have a good Christmas or starter box for sisters though.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

JBP posted:

Nobody is acting like their rights are getting trampled on.

It’s reasonable for folks to want their faction to receive cool new models, in a hobby about building and painting cool models.

Yeast posted:

"All the loving space marine models!"
'you finished painting that Ork army you bought 3 years ago?'
"That's not the point"

:v:
This is dumb for a lot of reasons.

If your metric for determining whether or not a faction deserves new models hinges on players having unfinished kits, then no faction deserves new models because many players have unfinished kits.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nobody is acting like their rights are getting trampled on.

Do you have social media?

This is dumb for a lot of reasons.

It was clearly a lighthearted joke.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 6, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

If your metric for determining whether or not a faction deserves new models hinges on players having unfinished kits, then no faction deserves new models because many players have unfinished kits.

It's fine because those 10VP per game will ensure everyone paints their models now.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I would love to make a space marine army someday, but it's very intimidating with all these new units coming out every month or so. I'm not the type of warham that just buys whatever hits the shelf and has a $3,000 back log. Mainly because I can't afford to, but also because I usually only play 2000 point games and I can't justify buying a kit just so I can have a different wysiwyg gun option. Kudos to you made lads that can!

I just wish all the armies and factions had dedicated codexes and got the same focus. But then again, I'm just a biased and jaded EC fucboi that wants to shower cry about my noise marines having old sculpt upgrades and no book. :saddowns:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I spent approx 14 million years painting 10 elves and they're still not close to being done, and then I bang this poo poo out in an afternoon and am like 'oh yeah, this is why people like marines'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I never finished painting the Orks and Gretchin from the 2nd edition starter box, and I still have Space Elf warriors that aren't painted. :ohdear:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope we don't get plastic Steel Legion because they'd inevitably be 2cm taller than the already perfect metal ones.

I would like to see the whole line back in production, though. Maybe new plastics if they can keep the creep in their pants.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I would love to make a space marine army someday, but it's very intimidating with all these new units coming out every month or so. I'm not the type of warham that just buys whatever hits the shelf and has a $3,000 back log. Mainly because I can't afford to, but also because I usually only play 2000 point games and I can't justify buying a kit just so I can have a different wysiwyg gun option. Kudos to you made lads that can!

I just wish all the armies and factions had dedicated codexes and got the same focus. But then again, I'm just a biased and jaded EC fucboi that wants to shower cry about my noise marines having old sculpt upgrades and no book. :saddowns:

I mean one of the big things about 9th is trying to move away from the idea if you're not playing 2,000 points you're not truly playing 40K. You got the real feeling that practically all the missions were designed to work at that level in 8th and you only played 500 point games with new people.

Now with the crusade rules and the fact missions have been designed for each of the game brackets, the idea is small games of 40K should feel similarly rewarding.

If you wanted to start a space marine army, you're basically not going to go wrong with primaris marines, intercessors are pretty much always going to be a solid troop choice, depending on the Chapter some HQs are similar (e.g. Getting your hands on ragnar blackmane for space wolves is a good idea because he's a good HQ and he's just been primaris'd).

As for the WYSIWYG thing, I actually think primaris units sort of ignore this for the most part. Technically each Intercessor bolt gun types look different but I don't think anyone would say you have to have the right scope on the gun for example. Assault intercessors seems to be pistols and Chainsword only etc. I think the only unit where its fairly distinct what weapons they have is Aggressors but even then it's not a big deal for most players if you say "my aggressor have flamestorm instead of the bolt gauntlets".

Maybe consider starting a crusade force for your chosen chapter and basically only buy primaris marines?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

I hope we don't get plastic Steel Legion because they'd inevitably be 2cm taller than the already perfect metal ones.

I would like to see the whole line back in production, though. Maybe new plastics if they can keep the creep in their pants.

This is the same feeling I have. Would love new Imperial Guard infantry kits. But it would mean anything new would be so different to all my 150-or-so infantry models (Cadian bodies, Pig Iron heads, FW or Anvil Industries autoguns). I'd feel weird using them side-by-side. And there's no way I'm building the army up from scratch, skirmish games are pretty much my limit now.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm concerned they will do something like replace all regular guardsmen with tempests scions or some poo poo, and essentially make my 100+ guard infantry obsolete. Likewise with my Grey Knights.

I get the impression they are slowly phasing out old school marines for regular space marines, but wouldn't have quite as much compunction when it comes to other races.

Then again, the Necrons just got new warriors and from what I can tell they are roughly the same size as the old ones.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kitchner posted:

Yeah I'm concerned they will do something like replace all regular guardsmen with tempests scions or some poo poo, and essentially make my 100+ guard infantry obsolete. Likewise with my Grey Knights.

I get the impression they are slowly phasing out old school marines for regular space marines, but wouldn't have quite as much compunction when it comes to other races.

Then again, the Necrons just got new warriors and from what I can tell they are roughly the same size as the old ones.

I think as they grow desperate for more income they'll make over the older lines and be hailed as heroes by the grognards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kitchner posted:

Out of interest, people here who have participated in or organised an escalation league, how quickly did it "escalate"? I appreciate it will differ a lot but I guess I'm looking for how much time were people given to buy and assemble bigger armies, did they have to be painted to play etc.

Biweekly and monthly were the ones I ran into the most. Did one between friends that was weekly but that's because we had just all gotten new armies in one go and needed some extra motivation to work through it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanqol posted:

I spent approx 14 million years painting 10 elves and they're still not close to being done, and then I bang this poo poo out in an afternoon and am like 'oh yeah, this is why people like marines'

Gonna need to see some more of your DG, that color is poppin' really nicely

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ijyt posted:

Biweekly and monthly were the ones I ran into the most. Did one between friends that was weekly but that's because we had just all gotten new armies in one go and needed some extra motivation to work through it.

What was the jump? Start at 500 and increase by 250 points each time?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

horde armies blow

Don't worry, this is definitely gonna be the edition where you're not gonna have to paint 150 Boyz to have even a remote change of winning!!!

Right guys..... guys? Right? :ohdear:

edit: If I didnt manage to paint over 100 in the 10+ years ive been collecting Orks its never gonna happen

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I suppose it was too much to hope that they'd change the no-Primaris thing for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey their Faction Focus even says, "You want an army filled with nothing but Meganobz and Warbosses? You can have it and still have all the Command points you’ll need."

And I mean I've literally wanted to run an HEAVY Meganob army forever!

E: what are they even changing with CP / Detachments in 9th? I barely played 8th but I strongly disliked how it seemed to devolve into gaming the Detachment system to maximize CP and abusing CP-refunding abilities

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 6, 2020