Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just want to make a public shoutout to the guys at Next Audio Labs. A few weeks ago I downloaded the latest version of RekordBuddy, and due to some stupid quirks in my computer and DJ libraries, I ran into an issue that prevented the software from working. They were on the horn with me the past few days talking about how weird and unique the issue was, and sending me custom builds of the software to source the problem. Yesterday they sent me a build that looks like it's going to work. I'm excited to get back to my curse: cataloguing, striping and sorting hundreds of tracks into playlists and paring down the playlists by quarter to keep selections fresh.

The latest versions of RekordBuddy also no longer require you to analyze your entire library every time you want to sync things between Traktor (or Serato) and Rekordbox. That's going to save me hours and trillions of CPU cycles. I know I talk about the software a lot but if you're the type of DJ making use of multiple DJ software it's a tremendous boon to your workflow and entirely worth the few ducats it costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have some dumb beginner questions that I haven't been able to get straight answers to, this time or last time I tried my hand at this. I am mainly interested in open-format sets, the kind you might play at a house party, not EDM or anything in a club, although I would wonder about the answers to some of these questions in that setting too. I understand that the practical answer is that people might not care at all in that setting, but I'm interested in learning to do this "right."

• I understand that people try to keep tempo the same when they transition so that it's not jarring to the audience, but they aren't playing an entire multi-hour set at the same tempo, are they? My uninformed thought is that maybe you'd try to play several (3-5?) songs in a row that are the same tempo, using the pitch faders to normalize the tempo between them, and then do some kind of more abrupt transition like an echo out to move to a new BPM range. Is that accurate? I understand I could also do half-time or double-time transitions, but that's still pretty limiting.

• I'm assuming most people aren't just fading one track out and hitting play on another track like a radio DJ, right? I mean, it does seem like that would work, but I think I should be looking to do better than that. Besides echoing a track out, I know I can just line up the tracks and cut to the new track on the one, or try to EQ mix the bassline of the old track out and the new one in, although you don't really have a ton of time with non-EDM tracks unless you set up a loop. Are there more options I should know about? I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on this, but they don't tend to get more in-depth than that.

• Videos on YouTube are all over the place about how much I should worry about mixing in key. Seems like more of a concern if I'm planning to EQ mix, but not so much with the others? I can't imagine people are trying to play entire sets in Gb minor, right? What's considered to be a "compatible" key? I would think maybe parallel (e.g., C Major -> C Minor) and relative (e.g. A Minor -> C Major) minors, maybe the dominant (e.g. C Major -> G Major)? (I am new to DJing but an old hand at music theory, feel free to throw music terms at me. In contrast, I have no idea what "4m" means as a key.) Should I care about this at all? Finding songs that are both the same tempo and the same key seems like a big ask, if you're looking to do it for more than a song or two.

• When I bought my S2, Traktor 3 didn't exist. Is it worth the upgrade ($49), and am I likely to have performance issues with it if I didn't have any with Traktor 2? My DJ laptop is a MacBook Air with a 1.6GHz i5 and 8GB of RAM.

I am kind of wondering if I shouldn't have gone the Traktor route at all, and instead gone with Serato or Rekordbox, the latter of which wasn't really a thing at the time, but unless it's going to be a big improvement for me, I would just as soon not invest several hundred dollars in a new controller when my S2 works fine, and I don't know which I would go for in that case anyway. My biggest complaint about Traktor 2 is that it's not possible to put the waveforms next to each other, although I know I should be working on getting to the point that I don't need them. (And effectively I don't, since they don't do me much good separated.) But it's bizarre that it's not even an option. I've also read that it's easier to search for things in your library in Serato, but maybe that's improved in Traktor 3.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

guppy posted:

I have some dumb beginner questions

There's really not any sort of "one size fits all" approach to djing, which is why it's hard to find what you're looking for. Many of these questions break down to defining your style. I'll try to address some of them from the perspective of a multi-year, top40/open format bar & club dj.

quote:

I understand that people try to keep tempo the same when they transition so that it's not jarring to the audience, but they aren't playing an entire multi-hour set at the same tempo, are they? My uninformed thought is that maybe you'd try to play several (3-5?) songs in a row that are the same tempo, using the pitch faders to normalize the tempo between them, and then do some kind of more abrupt transition like an echo out to move to a new BPM range. Is that accurate? I understand I could also do half-time or double-time transitions, but that's still pretty limiting.

This is heavily dependent on music format. If I'm playing a 100bpm track and need to get 120, I might do the stair step method of playing a couple songs to get there or if it's a well known song, I might drop it cold. It really depends on the track and what the crowd is feeling. There are also trannys (premade transition tracks) which are also fine, but I tried not to use them all the time. One of the hardest things to do while learning is not playing in front of somebody because you have no idea how your set is landing. The audience is a big part of what's happening as far as song selection and mixing style. Also, if you haven't already, I highly recommend finding some kind of record pool that has the kind of music you're looking to play out. If you play polka or something, maybe there's not one out there for you, but generally speaking record pools have most of the genres covered.

quote:

I'm assuming most people aren't just fading one track out and hitting play on another track like a radio DJ, right? I mean, it does seem like that would work, but I think I should be looking to do better than that. Besides echoing a track out, I know I can just line up the tracks and cut to the new track on the one, or try to EQ mix the bassline of the old track out and the new one in, although you don't really have a ton of time with non-EDM tracks unless you set up a loop. Are there more options I should know about? I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on this, but they don't tend to get more in-depth than that.

Again, this is music dependent. Almost all of my songs have come from record pools (shout out to Benzi and Clubkillers) so they have dj intros on them already. A dj intro is an 8 or 16 bar drum only intro to a song that may also just go straight to the chorus before the first verse. This will allow you to mix either way...you could use a long intro if you're maintaining a groove or you can set a cue point on the chorus to change things up. You could also learn a few scratch techniques like the babby scratch and the one or two click flare. These are all tools in a tool box, not necessarily appropriate for every transition. Use your gut.

quote:

Videos on YouTube are all over the place about how much I should worry about mixing in key. Seems like more of a concern if I'm planning to EQ mix, but not so much with the others? I can't imagine people are trying to play entire sets in Gb minor, right? What's considered to be a "compatible" key? I would think maybe parallel (e.g., C Major -> C Minor) and relative (e.g. A Minor -> C Major) minors, maybe the dominant (e.g. C Major -> G Major)? (I am new to DJing but an old hand at music theory, feel free to throw music terms at me. In contrast, I have no idea what "4m" means as a key.) Should I care about this at all? Finding songs that are both the same tempo and the same key seems like a big ask, if you're looking to do it for more than a song or two.

I think this is one of Traktor's dumb quirks but you should really be using the Camelot wheel and not standard notation. I don't remember if Traktor has camelot translation or not. The basic gist of Camelot is that the notation is in 1A, 2A, 3A or B around a wheel. You can mix from 1A to 2A and know that it will be in key, and you can go 1A to 1A if you want. You can also jump from A to B and around the wheel. I know Serato DJ and Rekordbox have Camelot. And this is easier than you think. A lot of genres have similar keys...for instance, there's a lot of top 40/hip hop that's in 5A. Build a library with a huge number of tracks and this gets a lot easier. It may seem hard at first but really, with practice and time, all of this gets easier.

quote:

When I bought my S2, Traktor 3 didn't exist. Is it worth the upgrade ($49), and am I likely to have performance issues with it if I didn't have any with Traktor 2? My DJ laptop is a MacBook Air with a 1.6GHz i5 and 8GB of RAM.[/list]

I am kind of wondering if I shouldn't have gone the Traktor route at all, and instead gone with Serato or Rekordbox, the latter of which wasn't really a thing at the time, but unless it's going to be a big improvement for me, I would just as soon not invest several hundred dollars in a new controller when my S2 works fine, and I don't know which I would go for in that case anyway. My biggest complaint about Traktor 2 is that it's not possible to put the waveforms next to each other, although I know I should be working on getting to the point that I don't need them. (And effectively I don't, since they don't do me much good separated.) But it's bizarre that it's not even an option. I've also read that it's easier to search for things in your library in Serato, but maybe that's improved in Traktor 3.

This is one of those never ending discussions amongst DJs. I've been using Serato software since 2008 and I would never use any of the extra features in Traktor. Some people love Traktor. I will say this: none of the working DJs I know use Traktor. Even the two that used to use Traktor switched over to Serato DJ a couple of years ago. Use that info how you want.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2020

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. Some follow-ups:

TheWevel posted:

This is heavily dependent on music format. If I'm playing a 100bpm track and need to get 120, I might do the stair step method of playing a couple songs to get there or if it's a well known song, I might drop it cold. It really depends on the track and what the crowd is feeling. There are also trannys (premade transition tracks) which are also fine, but I tried not to use them all the time. One of the hardest things to do while learning is not playing in front of somebody because you have no idea how your set is landing. The audience is a big part of what's happening as far as song selection and mixing style. Also, if you haven't already, I highly recommend finding some kind of record pool that has the kind of music you're looking to play out. If you play polka or something, maybe there's not one out there for you, but generally speaking record pools have most of the genres covered.

I could, but those are mostly geared toward working DJs, which I'm not. I do have a massive private music library, so having music available isn't really a concern. If you're stair stepping up 20 bpm, what are you doing to transition up a few BPM each time, since you can't beatmatch them? Just doing something like a cut or an echo, so it's not a perfectly smooth transition but also not a massive change of tempo all at once? Fade one out and one in, radio style?

It sounds like if you're doing a significant tempo change and a sharp cut, it should be something quickly recognizable?

quote:

I think this is one of Traktor's dumb quirks but you should really be using the Camelot wheel and not standard notation. I don't remember if Traktor has camelot translation or not. The basic gist of Camelot is that the notation is in 1A, 2A, 3A or B around a wheel. You can mix from 1A to 2A and know that it will be in key, and you can go 1A to 1A if you want. You can also jump from A to B and around the wheel. I know Serato DJ and Rekordbox have Camelot. And this is easier than you think. A lot of genres have similar keys...for instance, there's a lot of top 40/hip hop that's in 5A. Build a library with a huge number of tracks and this gets a lot easier. It may seem hard at first but really, with practice and time, all of this gets easier.

This isn't a Traktor thing, it actually defaults to Camelot notation. I changed to standard because I'm more familiar with it. I assumed Camelot was just a simplified notation for people who don't know music theory, and to be honest, I just looked it up and I think I'm right. Moving around the Camelot wheel is what's known as the "circle of fifths" in conventional music theory, so moving up or down a number (8A to 7A or 9A) is just moving up or down a fifth. So if you're in Bb Major (6B), you can move up a fifth (F Major or 7B) or down a fifth (Eb Major or 5B). Moving from the same number "A" to "B" is moving to the parallel major/minor -- they have the same key signature, but a different tonal center.

I think that parallel major/minor (for example, A Major to A Minor, or 11B to 8A) won't work very well, though, since the key signatures are different, right?

It doesn't seem to me like it matters if you use Camelot or standard notation as long as you understand what's going on.

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 5, 2020

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

guppy posted:

I have some dumb beginner questions that I haven't been able to get straight answers to, this time or last time I tried my hand at this. I am mainly interested in open-format sets, the kind you might play at a house party, not EDM or anything in a club, although I would wonder about the answers to some of these questions in that setting too. I understand that the practical answer is that people might not care at all in that setting, but I'm interested in learning to do this "right."

• I understand that people try to keep tempo the same when they transition so that it's not jarring to the audience, but they aren't playing an entire multi-hour set at the same tempo, are they? My uninformed thought is that maybe you'd try to play several (3-5?) songs in a row that are the same tempo, using the pitch faders to normalize the tempo between them, and then do some kind of more abrupt transition like an echo out to move to a new BPM range. Is that accurate? I understand I could also do half-time or double-time transitions, but that's still pretty limiting.

• I'm assuming most people aren't just fading one track out and hitting play on another track like a radio DJ, right? I mean, it does seem like that would work, but I think I should be looking to do better than that. Besides echoing a track out, I know I can just line up the tracks and cut to the new track on the one, or try to EQ mix the bassline of the old track out and the new one in, although you don't really have a ton of time with non-EDM tracks unless you set up a loop. Are there more options I should know about? I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on this, but they don't tend to get more in-depth than that.

• Videos on YouTube are all over the place about how much I should worry about mixing in key. Seems like more of a concern if I'm planning to EQ mix, but not so much with the others? I can't imagine people are trying to play entire sets in Gb minor, right? What's considered to be a "compatible" key? I would think maybe parallel (e.g., C Major -> C Minor) and relative (e.g. A Minor -> C Major) minors, maybe the dominant (e.g. C Major -> G Major)? (I am new to DJing but an old hand at music theory, feel free to throw music terms at me. In contrast, I have no idea what "4m" means as a key.) Should I care about this at all? Finding songs that are both the same tempo and the same key seems like a big ask, if you're looking to do it for more than a song or two.

• When I bought my S2, Traktor 3 didn't exist. Is it worth the upgrade ($49), and am I likely to have performance issues with it if I didn't have any with Traktor 2? My DJ laptop is a MacBook Air with a 1.6GHz i5 and 8GB of RAM.

Most of your questions I would consider to be aesthetic ones rather than fast and hard you must do these things:

If you know you want to go up or down you slowly pitch up (you can also turn on key correction if you are doing it digitally so the only thing that is affected is tempo) over the duration of a track or a couple of tracks, obviously that's not going to work for a major speed change but if you're going up to say Drum and Bass speed eg 170 from a slower Breakbeat speed eg 140 you can loop a drum section and just keep pitching that up until you get to the correct tempo then cut over to the Drum and Bass.

You can cover transitions with almost any kind of effect, you can loop sections and progressively reduce the loop size as you bring the other one up, you can spinback your first track as you bring the second in or scratch the second one in, there are almost unlimited options especially digitally where you can build up multiple effects at once, the only barrier is the music you are playing; play around see what works for your ears.

Mixing in key can be nice, it's more applicable when beatmatching. DJs tend to use the camelot notation because it's easier to find harmonic mixes if you are at say 12B; E major then you just need to look for an 11, a 12 or a 1 rather than A major, f sharp minor, b major or a flat minor. You don't necessarily mix the same key (although you could) you'll normally move through to complimentary keys.

Traktor 2 to 3 isn't a major upgrade from what I remember other than opening up the digital control system and unless there is a specific feature you need on the new one I wouldn't bother upgrading, same with moving to Serrato/Rekordbox; they are all slightly different with slightly different feature sets, if there is something there that you consider you need then consider changing but the differences are IMO Coke to Pepsi rather than car to motorbike if my lovely analogies make sense.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I used Serato until I got my Denon SC5000's, and I might again since they're compatible with it.

I shelled out for Traktor Pro 3 because my friend bought me a couple control vinyls and I decided to give it a go.
I'm not a fan. I like the flow of Serato much better and Traktor doesn't have anything to offer me that Serato doesn't do better imo.

Just my .02

But if you're just worried about it... Your S2 will work perfectly with Traktor Pro 3.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

guppy posted:

This isn't a Traktor thing, it actually defaults to Camelot notation. I changed to standard because I'm more familiar with it. I assumed Camelot was just a simplified notation for people who don't know music theory, and to be honest, I just looked it up and I think I'm right. Moving around the Camelot wheel is what's known as the "circle of fifths" in conventional music theory, so moving up or down a number (8A to 7A or 9A) is just moving up or down a fifth. So if you're in Bb Major (6B), you can move up a fifth (F Major or 7B) or down a fifth (Eb Major or 5B). Moving from the same number "A" to "B" is moving to the parallel major/minor -- they have the same key signature, but a different tonal center.

I think that parallel major/minor (for example, A Major to A Minor, or 11B to 8A) won't work very well, though, since the key signatures are different, right?

It doesn't seem to me like it matters if you use Camelot or standard notation as long as you understand what's going on.

Camelot is easier because if you are digital you can sort by camelot notation in a library with your already playing track and the tracks that are next to your currently playing one will be harmonically mixable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the advice all, I feel much better equipped to mess around now.

fat gay nonce posted:

Camelot is easier because if you are digital you can sort by camelot notation in a library with your already playing track and the tracks that are next to your currently playing one will be harmonically mixable.

Ooh, that is a really good point. Oh well, at least I understand what's happening under the hood now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used Serato until I got my Denon SC5000's, and I might again since they're compatible with it.

I shelled out for Traktor Pro 3 because my friend bought me a couple control vinyls and I decided to give it a go.
I'm not a fan. I like the flow of Serato much better and Traktor doesn't have anything to offer me that Serato doesn't do better imo.

Just my .02

But if you're just worried about it... Your S2 will work perfectly with Traktor Pro 3.

Oh, I'm not worried about the S2 not working with Traktor 3, it's the laptop I'm concerned about. Sometimes when a new version of a software package is released, the system requirements take a jump because the makers assume that people will have upgraded hardware as well. DJ software being more latency sensitive than most applications, I don't want to upgrade and then find out that my old laptop can't hang.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

guppy posted:

Ooh, that is a really good point. Oh well, at least I understand what's happening under the hood now.

Oh, I'm not worried about the S2 not working with Traktor 3, it's the laptop I'm concerned about. Sometimes when a new version of a software package is released, the system requirements take a jump because the makers assume that people will have upgraded hardware as well. DJ software being more latency sensitive than most applications, I don't want to upgrade and then find out that my old laptop can't hang.

I mean it runs fine in parallel with Ableton Live on my Lenovo x220 i5 8gigs of ram (but I'm on the latest Windows 10.)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had maybe the most fun I've ever had since my vinyl days screwing around with djay on my iPad and a DDJ-400. The Tidal integration is genius.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

guppy posted:

That's what DJing is, messing around with music. Mixing in key is definitely something you should learn to do but if you're not specifically trying to impress other DJs I wouldn't worry too much about doing it. The best sets are organic and you'll find that when you play something and your brain realises that <x song> would work, it's usually one that does. Don't feel like you have to go through 2 or 3 other tracks you don't particularly want to play to get to a track you do want to play.

I'd say the best thing you can possibly do to learn (if you can arrange it) is to play back to back with someone. Not necessarily going 1 for 1 but going off what they're doing and putting a track or two that fits what they've played and maybe nudging the style somewhere else from time to time. If you've got a large selection of music and a few hours you can end up in some weird places.

I should add that I just can't play one genre when I DJ, I get bored and inevitably wander. The idea of doing a straight hour of a single genre bores me to tears. I can listen to them and enjoy them, I just don't enjoy doing them because I feel like anyone listening would be as bored as I was doing it :v: and I guess with that said, don't play anything you don't actually love.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Best thing you can do is set some time each week to just mix. Lesrn your tracks, and just try goofy shut. Experiment with different types of transitions, loops, effects, and feel put what works. Always try something new, learn to fix screw-ups fast, even mix a way you normally don't. A lot of it is just practice, trial and error, and having fun.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Hey not sure if I have the right thread to ask but: I am a talent less rear end clown musically and I started watching youtube videos of Reggie Watts and Marc Rebillet. I just wanted to know if someone smarter than me can suggest a set up for making music similar to those guys that incorporate samples with vocals and a keyboard set up. Limited piano experience and I have zero inclination to share my music just need a hobby and I have been looking at experimenting with musical poo poo for a while. 30's goon bachelor with disposable income and just want to know what a reasonable way for an idiot poo poo head like me could get myself set up to start to gently caress around with music. Please mod move my post if this is the wrong thread. Thanks in advance

EDIT: have a pretty decent laptop if that helps.

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 23, 2020

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Get a simple midi controller and ableton and you’re set. If you really want to spend money you can get a Push but I would practice and get yourself familiar with production and the style in which you work, then you’ll be able to get gear that matches your needs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SilkyP posted:

Hey not sure if I have the right thread to ask but: I am a talent less rear end clown musically and I started watching youtube videos of Reggie Watts and Marc Rebillet. I just wanted to know if someone smarter than me can suggest a set up for making music similar to those guys that incorporate samples with vocals and a keyboard set up. Limited piano experience and I have zero inclination to share my music just need a hobby and I have been looking at experimenting with musical poo poo for a while. 30's goon bachelor with disposable income and just want to know what a reasonable way for an idiot poo poo head like me could get myself set up to start to gently caress around with music. Please mod move my post if this is the wrong thread. Thanks in advance

EDIT: have a pretty decent laptop if that helps.

Marc uses one of these, last time I checked. It's a really cool little unit borne of the phenomenon of musicians using guitar loopers (which are traditionally stompbox floor units) as tabletop units. I believe he also uses MainStage on his laptop to call up any sound to his MIDI keyboard. Not sure of the routing situation but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out with a simple 2x2 or 4x4 audio interface.

You could also do as abuse culture. says and go entirely in-the-box (although you would at least need a MIDI controller and audio interface) with Ableton, it's very versatile software, the only problem with this is if you ever want to expand your sets and incorporate more and newer virtual instruments and effects, you're at the mercy of your CPU and will have to begin making compromises to compensate for latency. Natch, this is still an issue if you're using hardware with a laptop, but at least the Roland looper (and lots of other hardware loop devices) has onboard effects and will take a significant part of the work off your computer's hands.

If you want some more inspiration in a similar vein, I highly recommend checking out Beardyman if you haven't already. These days his setup is much more complicated, with loads of customized touchscreens that I can't make heads or tails of, BUT earlier in his career (like the linked video) he made some insane music with a rudimentary guitar loop pedal and a pair of Korg KAOSS pads (which, IIRC he also uses as loopers for multiple layers) for effects. I have a KP3 for sale if you're interested.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Found a DJM600 black version for $300 locally. Thinking about pulling the trigger on it for a basement all vinyl 4 deck setup but I'm still slightly reluctant.
I've never used one and don't know how they sound. I did have the Behringer knock-off of it and ditched it because it was lovely but now I'm desperate for another mixer.
Thoughts? Other recommendations?

e: yes I realize that it only has 3 phono inputs, I've got that covered already.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 27, 2020

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Found a DJM600 black version for $300 locally. Thinking about pulling the trigger on it for a basement all vinyl 4 deck setup but I'm still slightly reluctant.
I've never used one and don't know how they sound. I did have the Behringer knock-off of it and ditched it because it was lovely but now I'm desperate for another mixer.
Thoughts? Other recommendations?

e: yes I realize that it only has 3 phono inputs, I've got that covered already.

That’s a great price and black is a little more rare in my experience. It doesn’t sound good but I think if your using it for vinyl only it will be okay, I’ve found they really sound bad with modern cdjs. Depends on your speakers too I guess and it will be better than the behringer.

Edit: I would get it if only to have a cool piece of dance music history. That was THE mixer when dance music took over the world.

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 27, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I mean ideally I'd just throw a Rotary Bozak AR-6 or Rane at the problem but I have a lot of other expenses I'm incurring at the moment so budget is key and I guess I can't bitch too much if it sounds like trash.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

I would not pay that kind of money for a DJM600. It’s honestly a pretty garbage tier mixer compared to anything modern

Maybe I’m just bitter because I played on them so regularly back in the day and had more than one good set recording not turn out because the quality was so bad

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
See that's what I was afraid of... I would gladly trade all the on board effects and maybe even fader cut in adjustment for a simple but great sounding mixer of similar price and maybe with effects loop to cut down on the amount of poo poo I would need to connect to add a looper and my own effects.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mixer talk just reminded me that I have a new old stock Tascam XS-8 [rebadged Ecler Hak 320, made in Spain and everything] sitting in my closet I’ll never use. If anyone wants to make a good offer on it before it goes on eBay let me know, keep in mind shipping will be a ton.

[Gnarlycharlie this would not work for you]

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Mixer talk just reminded me that I have a new old stock Tascam XS-8 [rebadged Ecler Hak 320, made in Spain and everything] sitting in my closet I’ll never use. If anyone wants to make a good offer on it before it goes on eBay let me know, keep in mind shipping will be a ton.

[Gnarlycharlie this would not work for you]

I don't know, that thing looks pretty solid. If it weren't lacking curve adjust, I'd say it could be a decent battle mixer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't know, that thing looks pretty solid. If it weren't lacking curve adjust, I'd say it could be a decent battle mixer.

It's an excellent battle mixer it's just 2 channel with only 2 vinyl inputs so wouldn't work for your 4 deck thing.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Hi guys

I have treated myself to the Pioner DDJ 200 controller as a beginner and it's a decent bit of kit. I can't say I am expecting to do anything more cross fading, but I will be experimenting around with various things.

Having used djay Pro on an old Macbook Air for years, said Mac is on it's last legs. I have been using Virtual DJ on my Windows laptop, but to use said controller with it, it requires a subscription charge. Rekordbox came free with the controller, but I don't think it works as well as djay Pro/Virtual DJ.

I'm tempted to pay the £45 for djay Pro on Windows. But I'm worried I will stump up the case and then find that I need to pay ANOTHER fee on top of this to use the DDJ 200 with it. Does anyone use djay Pro for Windows with a controller and can confirm any of this?

Thank you

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Use rekordbox or serato only, they’re the industry standards. Nobody uses anything else except for some psychopaths (like me) who still use Traktor.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I’ve found rekordbox quite awkward. I don’t find it aesthetically pleasing but also there’s no where to park songs as a queue. Never tried Serato. I’ll have a look.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

britishbornandbread posted:

I don’t find it aesthetically pleasing but also there’s no where to park songs as a queue.

Use playlists for this. You're not wrong about Rekordbox being kind of awkward though, which is why

abuse culture. posted:

some psychopaths (like me) ... still use Traktor...

for cueing/striping/playlisting songs. I can't think of the last time I've used Traktor in any other context but I still keep it around because I'm so fast at prepping tracks in it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rekordbox came with my controller but I've only really used djay on my iPad since the whole point of the exercise was to not have to sit at my desk more and Rekordbox's interface is a loving disaster.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I'm really leaning towards djay Pro for my PC at this stage, especially as I find it the easiest to use (have it on aforementioned old Macbook and my iPad). The only annoying thing is on the free fifteen minute session demo, it's a little bit slow when I'm trying to go through the folders on my remote hard drive. Hmmm

I may be tempted to just use my iPad, but that requires a purchase of Audiobus, and I wouldnt be able to access the contents of my hard drive without choosing what I am likely to play before hand and sticking them on via iTunes.

This all seems really needlessly complicated and annoying.

EDIT:

Mister Speaker posted:

Use playlists for this.

I am not certain what you mean by this re: Rekordbox. I'm presuming by playlist you mean something that resembles what you'd throw together on a playlist on iTunes. Thing is, i just want a nice sidebox to drag some songs into when I'm thinking a few songs ahead. It's crazy Rekordbox doesn't have something that simple built in, unless I am missing it on the bombside that is their interface

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 29, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

It's an excellent battle mixer it's just 2 channel with only 2 vinyl inputs so wouldn't work for your 4 deck thing.

GAS got me. I DM'd you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got an email that there's currently a deal to upgrade from Traktor 2 to Traktor 3. I haven't upgraded because I don't need much in the way of features, but for $25 I'm thinking about it. Is there any performance impact, and will a Kontrol S2 (Mk II) still work okay with it? My DJ laptop is a 2015 MacBook Air, so I don't want to upgrade software and then find that my laptop can't hack it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

guppy posted:

I got an email that there's currently a deal to upgrade from Traktor 2 to Traktor 3. I haven't upgraded because I don't need much in the way of features, but for $25 I'm thinking about it. Is there any performance impact, and will a Kontrol S2 (Mk II) still work okay with it? My DJ laptop is a 2015 MacBook Air, so I don't want to upgrade software and then find that my laptop can't hack it.

I didn’t notice any change in performance going from 2 to 3. It’s pretty much the same old Traktor with a UI refresh and a few new features, so you’ll probably be fine. You can always use the free trial to check, though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Thing is, i just want a nice sidebox to drag some songs into when I'm thinking a few songs ahead. It's crazy Rekordbox doesn't have something that simple built in, unless I am missing it on the bombside that is their interface

You can do this in Serato DJ with the "Prepare" list.

https://serato.com/latest/blog/20257/how-i-use-serato-dj-prepare-w-jordan

edit: I guess your controller doesn't work with Serato DJ which is a bummer.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 1, 2020

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

skull mask mcgee posted:

I didn’t notice any change in performance going from 2 to 3. It’s pretty much the same old Traktor with a UI refresh and a few new features, so you’ll probably be fine. You can always use the free trial to check, though.

Yeah they still haven't added warping yet, not paying $25 for a new skin

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thing is, i just want a nice sidebox to drag some songs into when I'm thinking a few songs ahead. It's crazy Rekordbox doesn't have something that simple built in, unless I am missing it on the bombside that is their interface

That's exactly what playlists are. Just make a bunch for songs with similar vibe and tempo. They don't have to be ordered, just think of them as 'crates'. Bonus tip: sort them by key.

My custom slipmats arrived. Too bad my decks are currently in the shop. :(

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

re: Rekordbox. I'm presuming by playlist you mean something that resembles what you'd throw together on a playlist on iTunes. Thing is, i just want a nice sidebox to drag some songs into when I'm thinking a few songs ahead. It's crazy Rekordbox doesn't have something that simple built in, unless I am missing it on the bombside that is their interface

There's no tag track list like on the standalone players? I use that all the time an essential feature imo, even when I was on serato it had that temp list in the middle you could add to. And member back in the vinyl days we used to put them sideways in the crate.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
is it kosher to post a mix in here for critique? it's 2 hours long, lol!!!!!!!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

abuse culture. posted:

is it kosher to post a mix in here for critique? it's 2 hours long, lol!!!!!!!

:justpost:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got my Techs back from the shop! Turns out there was way more wrong with them than I thought. They're purring like kittens now, except one cart still has a stronger right channel than the left so I think I might need to replace that. And boy am I out of practice spinning vinyl. Anyway here's the whole setup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

Got my Techs back from the shop! Turns out there was way more wrong with them than I thought. They're purring like kittens now, except one cart still has a stronger right channel than the left so I think I might need to replace that. And boy am I out of practice spinning vinyl. Anyway here's the whole setup:

That's a pretty epic setup but how do you even reach the dicers?