Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They have 2x2 Kallax as well, though you won't fit a turntable and receiver side-by-side on it. Also they sell storage bins that you can slide in to take up the empty slots.

I don't see any problem with putting speakers inside the cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wa27 posted:

They have 2x2 Kallax as well, though you won't fit a turntable and receiver side-by-side on it. Also they sell storage bins that you can slide in to take up the empty slots.

I don't have a receiver, I currently use a phono pre-amp and a headphone amp to control the volume

I don't know how I missed the 2x2 version - thanks!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

wa27 posted:

If you like to play music loud the bass can vibrate the turntable and cause issues. They're better off separate from the unit if possible. That being said: I had my bookshelf speakers on it for years and never noticed any issues.

You can buy doors for the Kallax or cloth cubes to cover the empty ones. Or put decorations in. I had a couple of 2x4s for a long time and I finally got the big one so I have room to grow.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

wa27 posted:

It’s a really bad idea from a fidelity perspective. The open cabinet introduces resonances and diffraction effects.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

It’s a really bad idea from a fidelity perspective. The open cabinet introduces resonances and diffraction effects.

is just putting them on top better? I suppose ideally they'd be on stands but I'd prefer to limit the amount of stuff I need to buy as much as possible.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes.

Any boundary close to the speaker (wall, bookshelf top, etc.) will have an effect, but the bookshelf top and the back wall is still a lot less than the wall, shelf, and 3 other sides of the cube.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I kind of wish my current monitors weren't so ugly - I would try just doing an rca cat5 adapter and running an ethernet cable under the rug. Well they aren't really ugly, but yellow just isn't my color. I know there are some units that let you put the speakers inside, but they are pretty high end like the BDI stuff. The Kantos would let me have something that looked more clean and didn't require any physical connection with my computer audio.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Before I make some specific recommendations, what exactly is your goal here? I know, from the interior design thread, that you care about aesthetics and what not. But I’m not completely sure what your goals are for listening. Better sound for tv/movies? Casual listening? Critical listening? You’ve mentioned wanting to try your hand at electronic music... do you want speakers and a setup for that?

Also, how do you feel about really, really good headphones?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Before I make some specific recommendations, what exactly is your goal here? I know, from the interior design thread, that you care about aesthetics and what not. But I’m not completely sure what your goals are for listening. Better sound for tv/movies? Casual listening? Critical listening? You’ve mentioned wanting to try your hand at electronic music... do you want speakers and a setup for that?

Also, how do you feel about really, really good headphones?

I'll answer the last question first - I rarely if ever use headphones. I have some Sennheiser's but I much prefer to have actual speakers playing in a room.

I guess I'm not 100% sure yet what I want, except to say that I would like to not feel like my computer desk and turntable always have to be right next to each other so they can both share the same wired audio source. I also think that visually, a sideboard or something with a turntable in place of my low table with tv above would look really nice, especially with a piece of art above it as well. I don't really need a tv so this would be a good way to replace that space.

The other idea with having a turntable and speakers on this separate unit is that I can minimize the amount of stuff I have on the desk, and also obfuscate the need for my audio interface, headphone amp (the headphone amp was needed because I only got the most basic audio interface which only accepted one input), and even phono pre-amp by having a turntable/speaker setup on the other side of the room, and then playing my computer audio on those same speakers via bluetooth. As a bonus, the kanto's have a phone connection so I wouldn't even need that phono pre-amp. Also I feel that having speakers in the middle of the room near one wall, instead of in a corner of the room by the other wall will "fill" the room more nicely.

Also when I posted the various furniture options, while I can definitely get some cheap Ikea stuff, the cb2 thing had a lot more appeal to me because of the sliding doors, which retain that really clean look that I like. I think something like the kanto's with a walnut finish would match really well.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 6, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay, one more question. Are you actively married to the idea of using active speakers, or are you open to the idea of using passive speakers together with an integrated amp that has Bluetooth, a phono preamp, etc.?

And do you have any pictures of the wall where this is going to go? I’ve seen the other side of the room, but can’t recall if you’ve posted this side.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

actionjackson posted:

yeah that's what I figured, though the CB2 thing looks really nice (though I'd really need to see it in person to judge).

I'm someone that likes to have things stowed away and hidden as much as possible, which is why I asked about that and the sideboard. I don't have that many records, so with the kallax most of those cubes would just sit empty.

Can you put the speakers in the cubes or is that not a good idea?

All are fine ideas. I’ve used a few Expedit/Kallax in my day and they’re great. I also am a fan of CB2 and think they look and perform well, but maybe don’t overload them with vinyl if you’re worried.

If you can get to a CB2 showroom (does C&B do them in the same store now?)/can wait until after covid (lol) I might try to see one in person but also the brand is strong and the return policy is good so I might just go for it. They look a lot more polished and grown-up than a Kallax, that’s for sure.

I might personally do a nice CB2 credenza to hold the equipment and then do an upright (a couple of them in my case) Kallax for LP storage or whatever. I have a lot of LPs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, thanks for the comments. Below is a picture of the opposite wall.

I think I need to take some more time to decide. I can be impulsive which is bad when it comes to spending. Basically it comes down to if I want to keep the tv or not. Even if I got rid of it, I could still just play the ps4 or ps5 on my computer monitor so it's not a big deal.

If I decide to ditch the tv, I would put in something like that cb2 credenza. I want something that actually looks nice, but what I really want which is something by BDI is like 2500 or some poo poo, so this is a very cost-saving compromise for now. For reference, the credenza would take up the space outlined by the black box I added to the picture. Also I don't have a lot of records (basically if you put them on a shelf, it'd be about 13" across), so I'm not concerned about storage weight, and this was why I said a lot of kallax cubes would be empty.

I would put the turntable on top, and if somehow (????) the speakers could go on those interior shelves that'd be great - then I could simply close the doors when not listening. I would assume the subwoofer would go next to it on the floor which is fine, especially if it's on the left because that's not visible most of the time.

Also to the other question above, I would prefer not to introduce any new piece of equipment unless absolutely necessary.

If I did this setup then I could put a nice art piece above and I think it would look very nice :)

Would speakers work in the interior, say if I put them in the center part, as far from the back as possible? If not that's fine, it's most just of an aesthetic consideration. Having speakers on top is going to look kind of ugly... at least not ideal I should say.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

On an unrelated note, I just got Thom Yorke's Tomorrow's Modern Boxes and this white vinyl is almost as awesome looking as the Anima orange vinyl

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Get speakers that aren’t ugly. Then put them on top of your furniture. Bing bong.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get speakers that aren’t ugly. Then put them on top of your furniture. Bing bong.

yes you can get the YU4 in Bamboo or the YU6 in walnut. Of course it depends on what they and the furniture actually look like in person. Matte black might look better to create contrast.

Here's a technical question - the Kanto's have a built-in phono connection. Is it better to use my phono pre-amp anyway and connect to line? The pre-amp I have is a very basic $50 one, nothing fancy.

A video review said that the phono connection in the Kanto is not that good, but this guy was an audiophile so it might be fine for someone like me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

On top is going to be better, ideally with the speaker placed at the very front of the cabinet. If you do have to put a speaker inside a cabinet, the recommendation is to fill the gap around the speaker with insulation. It's not a particularly attractive solution. And, depending on how you listen, you may not even care about how your speakers sound inside a cabinet. But this is the 2-channel thread, so comments will be made with an eye toward fidelity.

With how you want to do things, active speakers will work great. There just aren't that many choices with built-in phono preamps. Off the top of my head, there's the Kanto speakers you've looked at, the Peachtree M24/M25, and the new Klipsch The Fives/The Sixes.

There's also the option to switch to a turntable with a built-in phono preamp and connect that to a pair of powered speakers. This would open up speakers like the Audioengine HD6, if you liked them. The issue here is that your technics table is actually a really good piece of equipment, and you'd probably have to spend a decent chunk of change to get something that actually performs as well as it does.

From a visual perspective, I personally think that if you already have a turntable visible, you might as well have the speakers out as well. But I'm probably not the best person to ask on this one, given that I have two very large floorstanders in my main living space.

From a purely visual perspective, I think I really like the new Klipsch The Fives. They look good, and the walnut is attractive. Among your current choices for a cabinet, I'd go with the one from CB. The veneers on the Ikea ones just look (or are, depending on which piece) fake.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Klipsch The Fives seem like a no-brainer recommendation for a lot of people who don't want "a stereo" except for the fact that they cost eight hundred dollars.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I expect to see them pretty heavily discounted eventually. They’re just new and their supply chain is probably still a mess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I would go with Audioengine before Kanto, but maybe that’s just exposure bias (I’ve owned and tried multiple AE products and zero Kantos).

I’ve also heard good things about using Adam Audio monitors and I currently use a pair of white JBL 305Ps in my room/desk (mine are the fancy “Design My” special edition ones but the standard white looks really good too if you find the black oppressive).

You could also fit a compact and inexpensive 2ch receiver or preamp/amp combo in your setup if you wanted- that would open your options up massively with passive speakers. Standalone phono pres are also available at various price points and they’re usually pretty small.

You could also look at stands, or floorstanding speakers, and put them on either side of a sideboard/cabinet. That’s what I’d personally do.

Do you have a particular budget? Wanna tell us more about your wants, needs, goals?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would go with Audioengine before Kanto, but maybe that’s just exposure bias (I’ve owned and tried multiple AE products and zero Kantos).

I’ve also heard good things about using Adam Audio monitors and I currently use a pair of white JBL 305Ps in my room/desk (mine are the fancy “Design My” special edition ones but the standard white looks really good too if you find the black oppressive).

You could also fit a compact and inexpensive 2ch receiver or preamp/amp combo in your setup if you wanted- that would open your options up massively with passive speakers. Standalone phono pres are also available at various price points and they’re usually pretty small.

You could also look at stands, or floorstanding speakers, and put them on either side of a sideboard/cabinet. That’s what I’d personally do.

Do you have a particular budget? Wanna tell us more about your wants, needs, goals?

yeah the fives is a bit over my budget. my budget is prob like 500

I'm fine with audioengine as well, I just want something that has bluetooth. And I already have a phono pre-amp so having one in the speakers is not needed for me.

I would consider stands but only if I was unhappy using them on top of the credenza. But I'm a minimalist so I will always start with the least amount of "stuff" first. And obviously the stands add cost.

To back up a bit, I hate that I feel compelled to have a tv because, well what else goes there, and how most living spaces are so focused on the television. So I'm looking for an alternative because I've been realizing that I don't actually need a tv.

After I got my record player last fall I started looking at furniture that would work with it. Since then I've still had it next to my desk, which is fine, but it sort of constricts my options. Basically I always have to have the turntable next to the computer, and I also have to have a bunch of other stuff in terms of cabling around the desk.

I'm someone who always has music on, and so I want to combine that with my interest in continuing to minimize the amount of items I own, as well as clutter.

The plan I'm thinking of would require adding a credenza and speakers. However it would also let me get rid of the following items:

tv (and mount)
tv soundbar
small table for turntable
phono pre-amp (maybe)
audio interface
headphone amp
old speakers
storage bin for records

So it really does seem like a good move on all fronts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If music is your priority I’d get floorstanders, tbf. They’ll honestly probably look less cluttered too, in a perverse way, because you’re cutting down from multiple pieces of furniture/stands/etc to one credenza and a pair of speakers flanking it. Plus you can get some really narrow, really inexpensive floorstanding speakers these days. That will necessitate a receiver/amp, but there are lots of good <$250 options out there that would pair well with $250-$300 in speakers for a good setup. Also don’t discount the used market for that poo poo. I’m sure there’s an excellent amp available in your area for
$100 or less, or even free, if you ask the right people. Tons of bargain bin receivers have built in Bluetooth and/or WiFi these days (Yamaha makes one that’s like $150 and has everything but a phono pre, which you already have) and many have built in phono stages as well. In either case, adding a Bluetooth puck for $25 that can be tucked in the back of the unit is hardly the worst case scenario.

The dirty secret of self-powered monitor speakers is that they often need to be powered on individually, and the power switches are in the back. Unless you’ve budgeted for a studio power strip/power controller you’re gonna be reaching behind them every time you power on/off your poo poo. Audioengine and other self-powered entertainment speakers don’t have that issue and tend to have automatic sleep modes and front power switches and stuff, but they tend to either be pricier/sound quality/good looks or cheaper/the same price/for less good looks and sound, which is why so many goons recommend monitors as a price/performance sweet spot.

As far as your TV situation, get rid of that sucker and put some art up! Or get a big bookcase and pop your stereo in there. Nobody’s forcing you to have a TV for all that our culture revolves around it.

I’m a cinephile so my choice would be to rip out the TV, put $500 into a very nice budget stereo setup and then reintroduce a projector into the mix come Black Friday or w/e. Sucker stays off 95% of the time (maybe keep it in a case if you don’t wanna mount it or put it on a tall shelf) and it’s a white wall (Id probably put a $200 panel screen up, but these days you can get something easily bright enough in the $500 range to hit a wall straight-up), but it comes out for movie nights.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 7, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably still do regular speakers but I'm going to get my subwoofer in a few days so I'll see how that sounds first. It is true my power switches for my monitors are in the back which is annoying. But as you said the Kanto and Audioengine stuff deals with that pretty well.

I did notice the floor speakers, but don't you typically get other speakers with that as well?

One other question, with the Kanto's etc. is it best to have them on a separate stand? Or at least on one of those angled stands they make? Their own website shows them just sitting next to the turntable half the time ;P The stands are 130 or 140 for a pair which seems reasonable (?) The monoprice ones are half that but don't provide any way to secure the speaker to the stand.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 7, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably still do regular speakers but I'm going to get my subwoofer in a few days so I'll see how that sounds first. It is true my power switches for my monitors are in the back which is annoying. But as you said the Kanto and Audioengine stuff deals with that pretty well.

I did notice the floor speakers, but don't you typically get other speakers with that as well? Would they work with my subwoofer just fine?

Generally speaking, if you care about sound quality and dynamic range you want to get the biggest speakers you can fit/afford. Bigger speakers get lower, which means that they tend to better integrate with a subwoofer than smaller speakers. You can set the cutoff frequency lower and/or blend it more easily with the bottom end of the speakers.

While subs are often (generally?) recommended for small bookshelf speakers they often create a more noticeable divide between "speaker range" and "sub range" if the cutoff isn't set just right.

Also with floorstanders, I would generally recommend against adding a sub (first of all, I'd add two subs, which would probably mean building two passives and running them with something like a Crown amp for proper stereo separation, because I'm an insane stickler for that poo poo and you miss out on cool effects like the rhythmic sub-bass panning in Animal Collective's "In the Flowers" if you don't have stereo channels going that deep) for music, unless you're watching lots of movies or you *really care about getting that tympani/drop bass whump. Like, I probably wouldn't bother with a sub/pair of subs for my next "music only" floorstander setup. I'd rather put that money into nicer speakers that can get deep enough. Subs only really make sense if you're committed to bookshelf speakers (which really never, ever make sense unless you already have a piece of furniture constraining their placement) and/or you watch movies. Otherwise it's a waste of money and space better spent on more essential gear.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well the subs on the way so that's that, but I'll say that (and keep in mind I'm not an audiophile of any type), I'd rather have the YU6 or the audioengine A5+ then the much larger floor speakers plus required receiver, just in terms of space. It sounds like you are a big audiophile though so that may be why the distinctions are more important to you than me.

When you say "bookshelf" is that something different than "powered monitors?"

Powered monitors certainly make sense for many reasons, #1 is probably music production - I was told that if I wanted to keep using something on my desk and didn't want to get a sub to get something like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_845HS8/Yamaha-HS8-Black.html

Anyway I did talk to someone at crutchfield and I bought the sub based on my specific situation. I didn't just go out and buy whatever. He recommended:

8 or 10" (I got 10)
100-200 W (I got 150)
something with the lowest frequency response <40 Hz (I got 32)

I did tell him about what I have now, which is 5" with a lowest frequency response of 45.

Are you saying that with new powered speakers I'd want to take into account that subwoofer range?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Wait- before I answer, are these supposed to be computer speakers too?

Like, if your space is small enough you can make monitors work as entertainment speakers, but nearfield monitors are sold as nearfield monitors and not entertainment speakers for a reason, and it’s not just “companies be greedy”.

Like, I wouldn’t be planning to build a credenza vinyl hifi setup around the same speakers I was gonna use for music production at my desk.

Are you gonna like move them to your desk every time you want to play around on Reaper or whatever?

If you really want ‘one system to do everything’ I’d look into running desktop monitors off of your preamp/tape outs or some inexpensive tiny bookshelf speakers (I really like Realistic Minimus 7s at ~$50 a set for desktop) running off of Speaker B outs on a receiver (tbh I don’t get the impression that absolute sound accuracy and pristine flatness are high priorities for your music production setup, or else you’d be asking very different questions, and I don’t mean that at all in an offensive way).

“Bookshelf speaker” just refers to size category. Some are self-powered but most bookshelf speakers are not. Generally the categories today are “bookshelf”, “floorstander”, and “subwoofer”. Bookshelf speakers used to be capable of being quite large back in the day (my 1980 HPM-900s are 50 lbs a piece with 12” woofers, and technically “bookshelf” speakers) but these days they tend to max out at 5-7” inches for the woofers. Floorstanders these days tend to be as big woofer-wise as their biggest bookshelf counterparts with additional woofers stacked beneath. That means that most people looking at putting bookshelf speakers on stands are better served sizing up because the speaker itself will take up the exact same floorspace as a bookshelf on a stand, with way more bass extension and wider dynamic range.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My KRKs are for listening to (mainly streaming) music from my computer along with my turntable - I also got them for music production but I'm not really making much headway there...so the setup I'm thinking about would not involved production at all.

I certainly want something powered, which is why I'm looking at the YU6 for A5+ wireless as an example. And it would be nice to have something that I can be farther away from, rather than monitors where I want to be pretty close.

I see what you mean about floor speakers taking up the same space as the Kanto's with a stand, but it'd also be nice not to have to buy a separate receiver (and then of course the receiver has to be exposed to get a signal).

I think if I had some really high end piece of furniture like the BDI corridor doing something with some extra equipment like a receiver would appeal to be more as it would be hidden. If I get this cb2 credenza I would have to either put a receiver on the shelf (which doesn't hold a ton of weight) and keep the door open at all times to get remote access, or put it... well I'm not sure where (??).

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 7, 2020

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

If your most important goal is to make your space look the best to you you’re asking the wrong crowd. You probably already know what you want.

If you want to have something that looks decent and sounds great you should listen to Ok Comboomer’s advice and deal with a receiver and floorstanding speakers. You could always refuse delivery of the sub and get a refund.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If your most important goal is to make your space look the best to you you’re asking the wrong crowd. You probably already know what you want.

If you want to have something that looks decent and sounds great you should listen to Ok Comboomer’s advice and deal with a receiver and floorstanding speakers. You could always refuse delivery of the sub and get a refund.

I understand what you mean. Since I'm not even sure I will do this new setup floor speakers would be premature. Actually the credenza I'm interested in won't even be available for two months anyway. But I appreciate you guys providing all the help and info; it's definitely been a learning experience!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If OP’s most important goal was having a space that looked good they wouldn’t have bought KRKs :colbert:

Also I take issue at your characterization that “looking best” isn’t a priority here. But granted I’m usually the lone voice yelling “spend another $300 and get the nice veneer and funky looking woofer cones!” when everybody else is recommending LSRs so—

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ok Comboomer posted:

If OP’s most important goal was having a space that looked good they wouldn’t have bought KRKs :colbert:

I chortled.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also I take issue at your characterization that “looking best” isn’t a priority here. But granted I’m usually the lone voice yelling “spend another $300 and get the nice veneer and funky looking woofer cones!” when everybody else is recommending LSRs so—

I bought those like four years ago scratch and dent. Well before I got interested in interior design. I knew KRK was a decent brand in the electronic music space.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
If I were buying speakers for looks and sound I'd get a pair of Focal Kanta No2.

If I were buying speakers to put in a room where I didn't want people to know I had speakers, I would get a bunch of Beosound Shape panels
https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beosound-shape?variant=beosound-shape-6-tiles
B&O also makes some really cool speakers that look more like furniture than speakers, like the Beoplay A9 or Beolab 90.

Actionjackson why don't you just get a credenza with speakers built into it? A 60's-70's stereo console is going to have pretty much everything you are looking for while simultaneously solving your furniture problem. I've seen plenty of projects where people just upgrade the components inside, add a bluetooth dongle, and call it a day.

There's also modern interpretations of old consoles as well:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 7, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I bought those like four years ago scratch and dent. Well before I got interested in interior design. I knew KRK was a decent brand in the electronic music space.

I’m just pulling your leg, holmes. Do you want the KRKs to play from the same source as your credenza speakers or could they be separate units? It wouldn’t be particularly hard to run a line from a preamp/receiver/etc to them from an entertainment unit. Probably best if it was digital and you ran it to a small DAC.

I consider myself to be an interior/industrial design buff as well and what I love about audio equipment is that there’s a ton of variety and driving forces behind their aesthetic. There’s stuff that’s purely utilitarian, stuff that’s exotic and flashy, stuff inspired by “the emotions and aesthetics of music”, stuff designed to appeal to the widest common denominator, stuff designed to invoke the past, stuff designed to invoke the future, stuff to satisfy the bizarre whims of a megalomaniacal designer, and any combination thereof.

I love love love well designed and interesting looking speakers + audio equipment, and I genuinely think they can be some of the most visually interesting and appealing things in a space if well-chosen. They don’t always have to disappear and be hidden away- in fact at the low-to-middle end of the budget you often see some of the stiffest competition for speakers that can look good in a general-purpose space.

Also- Given that you’re in the “vintage audio” thread, have you considered vintage or vintage-inspired equipment?

Nothing makes the design nerds ITT squeal like 70’s silverface goodness.

Hell, even if you go new- silverface Yamaha A-S501, refurb or Black Friday sale to $350. You pair that with a set of Jamos, which are currently being liquidated and can be had at $180/pair bookshelf and $250/pair fs and you’ve got a heck of a stew going

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I really liked the Jamo ones but they are only available in white, prob sold out the rest. But they are more for close listening anyway.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_701S801PMW/Jamo-S-801-PM-White.html

Are these being sold anywhere else on liquidation? I can't find them at this price otherwise.

I do know I could connect my rokit's from across the room using RCA to cat5e or whatever but would prefer not to have a long cable running across my floor.

Here's a couple credenzas by etsy sellers I thought were cool

https://www.etsy.com/listing/551914304/medium-record-storage-cabinet

https://www.etsy.com/listing/688445342/solana-vinyl-console-solid-walnut-mid

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If I were buying speakers for looks and sound I'd get a pair of Focal Kanta No2.

If I were buying speakers to put in a room where I didn't want people to know I had speakers, I would get a bunch of Beosound Shape panels
https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beosound-shape?variant=beosound-shape-6-tiles
B&O also makes some really cool speakers that look more like furniture than speakers, like the Beoplay A9 or Beolab 90.

Actionjackson why don't you just get a credenza with speakers built into it? A 60's-70's stereo console is going to have pretty much everything you are looking for while simultaneously solving your furniture problem. I've seen plenty of projects where people just upgrade the components inside, add a bluetooth dongle, and call it a day.

There's also modern interpretations of old consoles as well:

I thought if you had built in speakers the sound wasn't as good? For the same reason why people said don't put speakers on shelves?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Post more vintage consoles!

https://thevintedgeco.com/products

Kinda makes me wish I didn't give away my Grandma's Magnavox but I just didn't have anywhere to keep it.

actionjackson posted:

I thought if you had built in speakers the sound wasn't as good? For the same reason why people said don't put speakers on shelves?

Bruh the direction you're headed with this whole tiny bookshelf big subwoofer setup makes me think you will probably care a whole lot more about how it looks than how it sounds anyway.
Besides, this isn't the audiophile thread. It's the vintage stereo thread. This is just how things were done back then.

But you don't HAVE to have speakers in the console.
You can have nice stereo setups that look good and still use external speakers

https://symbolaudio.com/product/aero-51-lp-media-console/

e: oh my god that sansui setup :flashfap:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 7, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bruh the direction you're headed with this whole tiny bookshelf big subwoofer setup makes me think you will probably care a whole lot more about how it looks than how it sounds anyway.

it's a delicate balance :)

I do really like the last one you posted, the others are too MCM for me.

anyway thanks for all the info guys. to avoid being impulsive I'm going to wait until the end of the year and see how much the PS5 costs and how the games look for that before deciding to ditch the tv.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 7, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

IKEA's fjallbo shelf unit works and looks great as a stereo console:

Mine is a little untidy but you get the idea.

And it's CHEAP

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

polyester concept posted:

IKEA's fjallbo shelf unit works and looks great as a stereo console:

Mine is a little untidy but you get the idea.

And it's CHEAP

yeah I saw that but the styling is very industrial which is not my bag at all unfortunately. but in terms of utility as a very affordable stereo console it's great I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I really liked the Jamo ones but they are only available in white, prob sold out the rest. But they are more for close listening anyway.

$169 for the floor standing ones. https://www.adorama.com/ja1064580.html?sdtid=14123387&emailprice=t&sterm=SglU1OwhRxyOWEvwUx0Mo34GUkiULMQGFUSV3g0&utm_source=rflaid62905