Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I live in a city with one of the highest spikes of COVID-19 per capita over the past week. Every day I see posts by friends still going out to eat.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/status/1278451410351394819

At least I've lost some weight by eating nothing but home-cooked meals for the past 2 1/2 months. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

double nine posted:

Now I'm wondering what a vast snarl sounds like.

It's like a barbaric yawp put through a space echo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/deanna4congress/status/1274313538992037894

e: this was not the thread I intended to post this in but I figure it sort of works still

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jul 5, 2020

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

People are dying to get back in to Disney World.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/

They're reopening the parks over the next two weeks as Florida reaches 10K new cases of COVID-19 a day.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Watching US politicians and corporations over the past week collectively go "well we've tried very little and it hasn't worked so we give up" is kind of horrifying to be honest.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bike tory posted:

Watching US politicians and corporations over the past week collectively go "well we've tried very little and it hasn't worked so we give up" is kind of horrifying to be honest.

is there a fancy word for fully expected and horrifying at the same time?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Imagine if we collectively had this do-nothing approach to Y2K.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Imagine if we collectively had this do-nothing approach to Y2K.

It was stockholder money at stake then not poor peoples lives. These are very different categories of problems.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Inceltown posted:

It was stockholder money at stake then not poor peoples lives. These are very different categories of problems.

It mostly called for internal action from institutions on a purely technical level; most people formed an opinion of Y2K that was totally divorced from the reality of the problem and its resolution, and no action on their part was required at any step of the situation

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

taqueso posted:

american politics

Hodgepodge posted:

It mostly called for internal action from institutions on a purely technical level; most people formed an opinion of Y2K that was totally divorced from the reality of the problem and its resolution, and no action on their part was required at any step of the situation

i thought the simpsons y2k was what people actually thought was going to happen for a long while, i was too youung to remember it. america deserves laser stoplights

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The US would be a better country if Hoover had been hanged by a mob.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

The US would be a better country if Hoover had been hanged by a mob.

That's true for about 99% of politicians everywhere.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

And kings, senior academics, everyone in military command, probably most if not all first world citizens... I love the taste of black pill in the morning.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

T-man posted:

And kings, senior academics, everyone in military command, probably most if not all first world citizens... I love the taste of black pill in the morning.

What an obvious big rope lobbyist. I know your game!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

That's true for about 99% of politicians everywhere.

Our biology teacher told exactly one joke in the three years she taught me:

"Yeltsin, Clinton, and Kohl are on a helicopter. The engine stalls. Who is saved?

Humanity."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

shocking that an american wishes the deaths of millions of blacks and latinos

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

Yeah but it's hard to pronounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZL90C7s8w

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Everyone's 2021 horoscope coming along nicely.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

BMW is putting microtransactions in their cars lmao

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311332/bmw-in-car-purchase-heated-seats-software-over-the-air-updates

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I can't wait until I have to pay a subscription fee to use the heater in my car, and the price goes up over winter. Can you imagine how lovely and janky these over the air services will be when somebody buys the car used in 10 years? Just like how all Teslas will likely be instantly remotely bricked the second the company goes bankrupt.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well, BMW does stand for Bring Money With (you)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

how far do you think they can push this before it compromises the safety? I mean the obvious answer is "until they can be sued over someone's death" but I'm wondering where that line is

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao someone beat Tesla to a tech nightmare scenario

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

good lord

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

3.99 monthly airbag sub

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Peanut President posted:

shocking that an american wishes the deaths of millions of blacks and latinos

I'm sure the starving child making yeezys is very proud of kayne for breaking the race barrier in inhumane exploitation. Dollar a day's worth I reckon.

I feel the same way about small black owned businesses as I do about any other corporation. Nobody gets a free pass for capitalism.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

T-man posted:

I feel the same way about small black owned businesses as I do about any other corporation. Nobody gets a free pass for capitalism.

seems hosed up

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

lmao someone beat Tesla to a tech nightmare scenario

Doesn't Tesla already do this with their "self driving" feature?

I remember reading about people buying used Teslas with that feature and getting surprised by Tesla removing it because they new buyer didn't pay them for the feature.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

Doesn't Tesla already do this with their "self driving" feature?

I remember reading about people buying used Teslas with that feature and getting surprised by Tesla removing it because they new buyer didn't pay them for the feature.

I can remember people being butthurt about OnStar costing money, but that actually had a live person monitoring it and a cellular plan so it's really not the same

red19fire
May 26, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

3.99 monthly airbag sub

Elon is going to start an onlyfans that’s only accessible from the dashboard-mounted iPad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
credit card slot on your own dashboard so you can turn on the hazard lights when the car locks you inside

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

I'm sure the starving child making yeezys is very proud of kayne for breaking the race barrier in inhumane exploitation. Dollar a day's worth I reckon.

I guess you just want that starving child to not have a job now? Monstrous.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Peanut President posted:

I guess you just want that starving child to not have a job now? Monstrous.

Literally an argument I heard from a professor in a Business Ethics university course. Oh wait no, it was "do you want that child to have to turn to child prostitution?".

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

however, for an adult it 'scool

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bike tory posted:

how far do you think they can push this before it compromises the safety? I mean the obvious answer is "until they can be sued over someone's death" but I'm wondering where that line is

Well if the Boeing 737 Max planes are example... um yeah that far (https://www.theguardian.com/busines...features-report)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So Melbourne is going back into lockdown for six weeks after their border restrictions let through some 'rona and the whole thing is very capitalism.png

First the state contracted out the staffing of its quarantine facilities for incoming people
So the facilities were being guarded and operated by people with no experience or training (and who are on minimum wage)
Who caught coronavirus and are now being scapegoated for the new outbreak because they were doing poo poo like carpooling to work (which spread the virus amongst them)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

to quote capitalism's own sacred scripture; "you get what you pay for"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bike tory posted:

So Melbourne is going back into lockdown for six weeks after their border restrictions let through some 'rona and the whole thing is very capitalism.png

First the state contracted out the staffing of its quarantine facilities for incoming people
So the facilities were being guarded and operated by people with no experience or training (and who are on minimum wage)
Who caught coronavirus and are now being scapegoated for the new outbreak because they were doing poo poo like carpooling to work (which spread the virus amongst them)

This conveniently skips the part where people in state housing have been locked in the apartment buildings with no notice and are not even being given food. Yes, they're mostly brown people, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

all I can make out is “tax refunds don’t last forever”