Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

China can build two hospitals in a week. So its possible they problem demolished it, then rebuilt it before the satellite flew over again imo.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

China can build two hospitals in a week. So its possible they problem demolished it, then rebuilt it before the satellite flew over again imo.

There's a great indian flick about a bureaucrat who decides he really, really, really wants to set off a nuke. Mostly because China did and now their economy is doing great, but the west won't let india set one off, which is holding India back.

So he tries and fails, and it turns out the USA has spy satellites watching India, and they put a stop to it. So a decade later he gets a mole in the Indian Space Research Organization to figure out when the spy satellites are overhead and, as a gently caress you, builds a nuclear test site for 45 mins every day, the window when there's no satellites, in the same spot as they were going to test the bomb a decade earlier.

The movie occasionally cuts from some super intense moments back to some white nerd in DC watching images slowly download from the spy satellite and going yep... still an empty desert.

It's also a 100% true story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmanu:_The_Story_of_Pokhran

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:38 on Jul 6, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

:hmmyes:

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/SarathPrasanna4/status/1279112121306013696

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm amazed by this stuff.

someone in the government tells CBP to put a customs hold on some wigs on suspicion they are made of human hair (not actually illegal on its own) made with forced labor (that is) because these particular wigs came from a manufacturer in xinjiang. next they tip off you, an AP reporter, with a scoop about it, and then have CBP put out a press release. (btw a previous hold a few weeks ago on some hair turned out to be synthetic.) you then write a story that the hair "is suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a chinese internment camp." and also, your source who tipped you off puts you in touch with a familiar name for context quotes: rushan abbas, a uighur-american "activist" who is connected up with the intelligence services and formerly worked as a translator-interrogator for al qaeda prisoners. ah, but don't mention that.

that's not all. axios here then reads the AP story and does some lazy googling / background research, and discovers an RFE/RL (i.e. U.S. government) story from a few weeks ago which claims human hair is being harvested from prisoners, citing "10 female former camp detainees" and a "pakistani trader who gave his name as amir" who heard about it from "his friend," followed by some speculation from a "human rights researcher" with the victims of communism foundation who's like "yeah that seems likely." also this researcher with victims of communism apparently got into serious legal hot water in taiwan after accusing ko wen-je, the progressive-liberal mayor of taipei, of organ harvesting... apparently his evidence for that was not so solid. so that's the "background," and also make sure to say "suspected" and "likely" here and there in front of claims about human hair harvesting, and put in the appropriate links back to RFE/RL in the story to cover your bases. and then send it to your editor who hits publish, and now lots of americans are frightened at the news that the chinese communist party is harvesting hair from people's skulls like the nazis.

and then the national security council says they're shocked by this dastardly new low for the communist party of china because axios reported it and they're credible, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/WHNSC/status/1278328641974304770

edit: also this happened a day after the chinese government passed the hong kong security law

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Jul 6, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm amazed by this stuff.

someone in the government tells CBP to put a customs hold on some wigs on suspicion they are made of human hair (not actually illegal on its own) made with forced labor (that is) because these particular wigs came from a manufacturer in xinjiang. next they tip off you, an AP reporter, with a scoop about it, and then have CBP put out a press release. (btw a previous hold a few weeks ago on some hair turned out to be synthetic.) you then write a story that the hair "is suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a chinese internment camp." and also, your source who tipped you off puts you in touch with a familiar name for context quotes: rushan abbas, a uighur-american "activist" who is connected up with the intelligence services and formerly worked as a translator-interrogator for al qaeda prisoners. ah, but don't mention that.

that's not all. axios here then reads the AP story and does some lazy googling / background research, and discovers an RFE/RL (i.e. U.S. government) story from a few weeks ago which claims human hair is being harvested from prisoners, citing "10 female former camp detainees" and a "pakistani trader who gave his name as amir" who heard about it from "his friend," followed by some speculation from a "human rights researcher" with the victims of communism foundation who's like "yeah that seems likely." also this researcher with victims of communism apparently got into serious legal hot water in taiwan after accusing ko wen-je, the progressive-liberal mayor of taipei, of organ harvesting... apparently his evidence for that was not so solid. so that's the "background," and also make sure to say "suspected" and "likely" here and there in front of claims about human hair harvesting, and put in the appropriate links back to RFE/RL in the story to cover your bases. and then send it to your editor who hits publish, and now lots of americans are frightened at the news that the chinese communist party is harvesting hair from people's skulls like the nazis.

and then the national security council says they're shocked by this dastardly new low for the communist party of china because axios reported it and they're credible, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/WHNSC/status/1278328641974304770

edit: also this happened a day after the chinese government passed the hong kong security law

so they are made by slave labor, but the whole thing is just worded to give it an extra nazi connotation

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
wheres my loving uygh CBP

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
all labor is wage slavery under capitalism my friend, especially under the oppressive machinations of chinese state capitalism

but for the low low price of $5.99*, you too can adopt your own personal uyghur

each uyghur comes with a starter outfit and will bleat out invectives againt the tyrannical chinese regime on command

they're great with kids too! perfect for when you're stuck at home with those spoiled monsters!

remember, the uyghurs freedom is in your hands

you wouldn't abandon a friend in need would you?

* shipping and processing fees not included

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

huhwhat posted:

all labor is wage slavery under capitalism my friend, especially under the oppressive machinations of chinese state capitalism

but for the low low price of $5.99*, you too can adopt your own personal uyghur

each uyghur comes with a starter outfit and will bleat out invectives againt the tyrannical chinese regime on command

they're great with kids too! perfect for when you're stuck at home with those spoiled monsters!

remember, the uyghurs freedom is in your hands

you wouldn't abandon a friend in need would you?

* shipping and processing fees not included

wasn't there a Politico article that proposed exactly this (except maybe for Syrians or Central Americans or whatever)

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

I like how the hair weave story came out like 5 days ago but no one seems to have followed up on wether or not the hair is actually human. every story I’ve read says “suspected” human hair. like how many days does it take to figure out if hair is human or not

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It wouldn't be hard to check the generic DNA on the hair either.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Well, maybe changelings have the ability to mimic human hair strands when disguising.

Or maybe it's just a narrative that needs to be pushed for propaganda purposes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the boston bomber posted:

isnt china sterilizing uigher women because they wont comply with the two child policy? is that different than what they do for non-uigher women who don't comply?

Minorities aren't subject to the two child policy or other family planning laws, only Han Chinese. It's one of the things that always gets brought up, with the same energy as Americans complaining about affirmative action, when minorities come up in China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

It looks like UK is supportive of Boris new BNO deal across the parties. Good job on Boris offering it (unlike Tsai Eng Wen who only so far has paid lip service and I don't know whatever the gently caress US does), and good job on the Brits. It's a rare win-win-win situation.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Jul 6, 2020

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Chinese Ambassador in the UK just made a speech denouncing the UK for breaking the joint declaration by offering citizenship to BNO holders, but China already said in 2017 that they don't consider the joint declaration binding anymore!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

SMIC only has 14 nm fabs right now because the Netherlands, under US pressure, refused to allow ASML to export EUV photolithography equipment to China. How this plays out will be interesting.

Another Skylake refresh :jerkbag:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gonna lmao bigly if the result of this dumbass trade war is intel and amd biting it when china floods the market with $10 chips

THS
Sep 15, 2017

whats all this about the wig hairs??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

whats all this about the wig hairs??

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1279152627633106944

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US's current Huawei sanction bans all other fabs outsides of TSMC to fab chips for Huawei, because US even bans Huawei use silicon designing software. So in theory Huawei can buy smartphone soc from Qualcomm and Mediatek but not design their own Kirin soc. The only way to get around it is China use her leverage in other area (rare earth, agriculture purchases etc) to sign a new package deal with US (presumably with Biden).

Huawei already paid TSMC to stockpile their base station chips and next version of smartphone soc, so right now US and China has one year to get the a deal signed.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
2020 start its 2nd half with record rainfall in southern China
https://twitter.com/mywayne0511/status/1280087007620853761?s=20
https://twitter.com/haha5134/status/1278601217661374464?s=20

Yunnan
https://twitter.com/niuniu_Liu2/status/1277942145467338754?s=20

Hubei
https://twitter.com/wuwenhang/status/1278991614359240705?s=20

Chongqing
https://twitter.com/lengshanshipin/status/1279776342976819201?s=20

Hunan
https://twitter.com/ChloeLi04740401/status/1279575281993502720?s=20

Shanghai
https://twitter.com/wuwenhang/status/1280079247990599680?s=20

urban fishing
https://twitter.com/mywayne0511/status/1279359111918837760?s=20

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
man what a rough fuckin year

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
is there a good chinese news aggregator? something like naked capitalism, here's a collection of things that happened today with links to other places and snippets of analysis

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah heres a chinese news aggregator: learn mandarin

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

THS posted:

yeah heres a chinese news aggregator: learn mandarin

It takes like 3+ years to learn mandarin, it's an incredibly complicated / complex language

e: when I say 3+ years I mean daily intense study, that's how hard that poo poo is to learn if you're not a native speaker

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Jul 7, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I feel like if we're only talking about learning Chinese to read the news you could pull it off in a year, with a good teacher/class.

Seems kinda overkill though, if that's literally your only reason for learning Chinese. Not gonna say it's not worth doing but that's a lot of work if you're not gonna use it for anything else.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Top City Homo posted:

its repressive but you are claiming a "soft genocide" which should require a high burden of proof outside of US sponsored propaganda

Hey now, they've also got a German evangelical fundamentalist who works for a US think tank and believes god has sent him to destroy the Communist Party of China, to prevent Satan from destroying civilization and feminizing men by stopping fathers from beating their kids, a handful of ISIS affiliates who work for Erdogan, and a fascist Australian-Turkish biker gang. If those aren't credible non-US sources, I don't know what would be.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Jul 7, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BrainDance posted:

I feel like if we're only talking about learning Chinese to read the news you could pull it off in a year, with a good teacher/class.

Seems kinda overkill though, if that's literally your only reason for learning Chinese. Not gonna say it's not worth doing but that's a lot of work if you're not gonna use it for anything else.

Maybe I'm just a dumbass but I still couldn't read the news after a couple of years of studying. I think there are way too many specialized terms.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
im fine with a chinese news aggregator i can just run it through a translate

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Most Chinese majors at universities can't read newspapers properly after three/four years. You need like six thousand characters under your belt and a huge vocabulary, especially if you're reading global news not some local soft news story about a kind grandpa

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pomeroy posted:

Hey now, they've also got a German evangelical fundamentalist who works for a US think tank and believes god has sent him to destroy the Communist Party of China, to prevent Satan from destroying civilization and feminizing men by stopping fathers from beating their kids, a handful of ISIS affiliates who work for Erdogan, and a fascist Australian-Turkish biker gang. If those aren't credible non-US sources, I don't know what would be.

its crazy when digging at the sources its 3 people just using each other as sources

Zenz -> Omer Kenat -> Rushan Abbas

and quoting articles quoting them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whoa there buddy slow it down with the genocide explaining

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's wrong with scmp and just follow twitter for Chinese news.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Some Guy TT posted:

whoa there buddy slow it down with the genocide explaining

its dick cheney leaking to the new york times as an anonymous source and then quoting the new york times as evidence of WMDs all the way down

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

BrainDance posted:

China is is gonna be the next sole superpower in the world once american capitalism disappears up its own rear end in a top hat in the next 10 years so why not

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
By the time China surpass US in comprehensive power, real time translation would become pretty good. But if you like learning language its a good hobby to pick up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

edit 2: collapsing anyyyyy second now

https://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/3092124/hong-kong-steps-weaken-local-dollar-hot-money-inflows-defy

lol I wonder who's so afraid of getting sanctioned that they're dumping their USD
"defies speculation." i have to go and see whether the NYT/WSJ were speculating about bankers leaving HK. the law leaves them alone. bankers are not out in the street protesting. bankers as a class do not go out in the street and protest ever

could you imagine a banker riot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
for these guys it doesn't matter if they're in HK or shenzhen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjO1bMHbDpY