Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't seem too bad. If it's like this one, it requires you to use both hands to push two buttons so you can't have your hands in there when it cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_BCnicEao

See those row of black dots on the 'arms'? (3 of them visible on the left of the thumbanail)

Light beams: you can't have anything breaking them when the blade comes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't seem too bad. If it's like this one, it requires you to use both hands to push two buttons so you can't have your hands in there when it cuts.

You could still try to stick your head in it

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I live in eastern MA and commute everywhere between Boston/Buffalo/NYC/NJ. It's jarring for me whenever I'm somewhere like OH and I don't have to be in Mad Max mode 100% of the time.

This is me going back to Montana after living in Portland for the past 8 years or so. I’m dodging and weaving around trucks on the interstate and my dad’s clinging to the oh poo poo handle like we’re gonna die. I forget that it’s not necessary and it takes way more than a week to decompress the need to city-drive.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bum the Sad posted:

:10bux: says that only came about because someone stood one one leg and pressed one of the buttons with his foot while shoving his free hand in there.
100% someone has operated two hand controls with a foot while adjusting the something in the machine with a hand but the foot actuation is more because two hand controls are just a measure of if your hands are out of the way. Doesn't mean you're ready to cut and the pedal gives the final go so your frame of mind is like set up, hands out of the way, last look at it, hit go.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Cojawfee posted:

I've worked at a place with a lot of hourly manufacturing people, and the hardware crew were careful to require two hands to switch on one of the workstations.

Shortly after that there was a lost time injury report where someone stuck their hand in, pressed one of the buttons, and had another user press the second button.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
It's just the part where the operator is sticking their hand completely under the blade that freaks me out, I understand it takes two hands to operate to prevent accents, but imagine sticking your head under a guillotine even with it secured.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/wiNPSXn.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

rock em sock em trucks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's just the part where the operator is sticking their hand completely under the blade that freaks me out, I understand it takes two hands to operate to prevent accents, but imagine sticking your head under a guillotine even with it secured.
Same but driving behind semi trailers, the horizontal guillotine.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

norton I posted:

I've worked at a place with a lot of hourly manufacturing people, and the hardware crew were careful to require two hands to switch on one of the workstations.

Shortly after that there was a lost time injury report where someone stuck their hand in, pressed one of the buttons, and had another user press the second button.

I forget where I read this, but there was an account of someone operating a guillotine at a paper mill in the 1960s, I think. Pedal-only operation, both hands in the wrong place as the foot went down on autopilot. I forget if this was a second or first hand account but I recall the operator saw their hands on the table and tried to pick them up.
Pun intended and regretted.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Laughing at that truck

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gently caress mythbusters lied to me, a big rear end truck can totally catch air

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

We have those machines at work, I'm pretty sure the exact model no less.

They also require 3 buttons pressed simultaneously to operate, two hand buttons at waist level about 4 feet apart and a foot pedal, so not only does it require hands to be out from under the blade, the easiest way to press the buttons is by standing upright.

It's definitely possible to use it in an unsafe way, particularly if a second person is there, but without literally disabling the safety interlocks or having two people push the buttons, it's drat hard to operate unsafely, and there wouldn't be an advantage to doing so.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/0R4t2Pd.mp4

wonder how the suspension is after that

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

starkebn posted:

those guys deserve more than just suspension for that. id have fired them!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Azathoth posted:

We have those machines at work, I'm pretty sure the exact model no less.

They also require 3 buttons pressed simultaneously to operate, two hand buttons at waist level about 4 feet apart and a foot pedal, so not only does it require hands to be out from under the blade, the easiest way to press the buttons is by standing upright.

It's definitely possible to use it in an unsafe way, particularly if a second person is there, but without literally disabling the safety interlocks or having two people push the buttons, it's drat hard to operate unsafely, and there wouldn't be an advantage to doing so.

I used to work in a print shop. One of the old timers was telling us how you could just tape a stack of coins over one of the buttons to hold it down.

I stayed the Hell away from that guy.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PhotoKirk posted:

I used to work in a print shop. One of the old timers was telling us how you could just tape a stack of coins over one of the buttons to hold it down.

I'm very grateful to work in a shop where that would end in that person never operating anything more dangerous than a 3 hole punch ever again.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vindolanda posted:

I forget if this was a second or first hand account but I recall the operator saw their hands on the table and tried to pick them up.
Pun intended and regretted.

Zeroth hand account.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PhotoKirk posted:

One of my recent projects at work was auditing some of the older press controls specifically to make sure that doesn't work

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

One of my recent projects at work was auditing some of the older press controls specifically to make sure that doesn't work

The most common method is a switch that has to be released before you can press it again, right?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No the modern stuff has tie-down protection even for the first actuation. Both buttons have to be pressed within 500ms of each other or nothing happens.

Where it gets weird is that these are usually pneumatic controls, it would be easy-peasy to trigger a rising edge timer with electronics but IDK the exact details of how that's pulled off mechanically. The controller valves come as a black box module from the vendor, you just connect the momentary pushbutton valves to the inputs and then it pressurizes an output line when everything is done right

the magic search term is "two hand no tie down" if you'd like to know more

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 6, 2020

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

LoL freakin captain Murphy over here's all like "The fuse blew? Well cram a penny in there!"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The guy we contracted out for implementing controls used these "zero force" buttons for safety.
https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Push-Buttons/Specialty/800Z-Touch-Palm

I don't know how one would be able to mechanically bypass that system. Tape in a water filled glove?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

we've got a bunch of those in another application for one-handed use, they're surprisingly fragile for a $600 button with no moving parts

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

No the modern stuff has tie-down protection even for the first actuation. Both buttons have to be pressed within 500ms of each other or nothing happens.

<superman 3>

Both keys at same time?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

starkebn posted:

Like something you'd see on Animal Planet.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Chemical safety pro-tip: don't mix your piss jar with your potassium jar

https://twitter.com/WhoresofYore/status/1279872708902375424

Laughs and winces aside, how does the reaction of potassium with urine (presumably mostly with the water) result in reduced pressure in the bottle?

Is it from the metal that didn't react with the water being heated enough to burn, and consuming the oxygen in the bottle?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

GotLag posted:

Laughs and winces aside, how does the reaction of potassium with urine (presumably mostly with the water) result in reduced pressure in the bottle?

Is it from the metal that didn't react with the water being heated enough to burn, and consuming the oxygen in the bottle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TIyWdfxxc

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

GotLag posted:

the kid tried to gently caress the bottle

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GotLag posted:

Potassium + water makes potassium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. The hydrogen then burns with atmospheric oxygen, with the net effect of taking gas out of the air.

Of course the heat produced raises the pressure of the remaining gases, I haven't done the math on which effect overpowers the other.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1Y5ntls.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is that a Catillac or a Meowta?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I thought the engine was purring

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I thought the engine was purring

They are installing a new one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GotLag posted:

Potassium flames briefly with water
Naptha is ignited briefly
Pressure now slightly elevated because of the warm temp and new gas, but equalizes with atmospheric possibly going pfffbbtbpfpfbf around the dick
It seals around the dick and cupping takes over as the mass of gas cools back to room temp.

Lots of vacuum can be had very quickly without much temp change when cupping, the traditional way is you just hold a match or candle inside a jar for a few seconds before applying .

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

starkebn posted:

Nature is a wonderful thing.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Moo the cow posted:

Both keys at same time?

Thank you for making me realize my brain recalls this scene in its entirety despite not having seen the film for 25+ years

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CloudyLameHog-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carecat posted:

Yeah like I said I think they get more lessons than they actually show but in season 5 a guy chainsaws a bedroom door in the first five minutes. Stuff like that makes me question what is genuine. I don't find it hard to believe bad handymen will use the wrong tools and use them incorrectly so out of all Reality TV it may need less manipulation than usual but people are always getting told how to act and what to do for TV.

I absolutely believe it, especially after this weekend. A guy across the street was removing some palm trees from his lawn and he decided to just tie his truck to the tree by a tow strap and yank it out. I took video and I'll upload it once I can stitch the clips together.

Strap came off the truck at least 6 times because he just had it looped around the tow hitch instead of tied on. When he was having trouble pulling from the base he looped the strap around the top of the tree, immediately causing it to pull off over the top (like taking a scrunchie off your ponytail) as soon as it went slightly horizontal. He did this 3 times before realizing his mistake. When the trunk started breaking instead of pulling out by the roots, he went into his garage and came back dual wielding a reciprocating saw and a beer to try and cut the trunk.

By the time he actually had the tree out, there was a stump surrounded by broken wood and a massive patch of bare dirt on his lawn and he had torn the poo poo out of his grass with his tires from the constant pulling and shifting position. He ended up just staring at the scene with a beer, right in the middle of the road, like he was contemplating suicide.