Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ you are talking sense. Unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just think about how much paperwork you'd need to fill to pay a single potato with EU budget.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Angry Lobster posted:

Just think about how much paperwork you'd need to fill to pay a single potato with EU budget.

Got approved by the EEC to farm 1 potato a day

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
For an EU SA you'd need translators to translate every post into every European language.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fader Movitz posted:

For an EU SA you'd need translators to translate every post into every European language.
I think this would actually result in the EU SA having a multiplicative effect on the economy, putting money in the hands of the younger internet-savvy generation who can translate shitposts into other languages.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

In EU-SA we all understand English, but refuse to post in it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

An insane mind posted:

In EU-SA we all understand English, but refuse to post in it.

We're all also very snobbish and weirdly defensive about being not American

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Fader Movitz posted:

Yessss!!!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Welp in case SA doesn't make it,thanks to everyone who made this a informative thread.orange devil, middle one, dawncloak and everyone else you're cool dudes and dudetes.

Lol lowtax.
I still can't believe dude squandered away a new spine and a cool 12k a month by refusing to stop being a piece of poo poo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Imagine making 12k a month and all you have to do is not hit women.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 24, 2020

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i have a link to a truly terrible "Europe" themed discord

everybody there is a racist 15 year old

guys what the gently caress is with the internet outside of SA and antisemitism because I feel like I've stepped out of my safety bubble and it is wild

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

orange sky posted:

I loved watching the central european nazis dunking on Mario Machado like "white power used to be a clean thing now we have these fuckers saying they're neo nazis"

It's the best

Source for that? That's hilarious

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Squalid posted:

i have a link to a truly terrible "Europe" themed discord

everybody there is a racist 15 year old

That is the core Discord demographic, yes. Did the Gamer branding not tip you off?

Pretty sure even Reddit is less consistently racist than Discord nowadays.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There's no real alternative to SA.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Angry Lobster posted:

There's no real alternative to SA.

This.

I aint discording.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dawncloack posted:

This.

I aint discording.
I think the idea is that it’s a lifeboat for when the forum goes down where people can coordinate an exodus into another forum.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Discord is Facebook for gamers, and that's two solid reasons against using it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nazis took over large parts of the internet. Ideally we'd put effort into taking it back as opposed to isolating ourselves in bubbles.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi friends, been away for far too long.

Was nice knowing you all, shame Lowtax couldn't stop beating his wife.

All we need now is see him having a rant about the gipsies and i'll start to seriously consider that Lowtax might actually be Portuguese.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Are you guys headed for bread n roses?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am headed there

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are you guys headed for bread n roses?

the what now?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
This place. It was started by a bunch of people from CSPAM in January and a lot of people are making accounts there since it's that or some Discord channels right now.

Normally you need to pay 10 dollars after registering but they're waiving it at the moment. It means you need to be manually approved and it takes a bit of time since people are flocking there.

Edit: There's also cspam.xyz. It's just one board now since was literally thrown together overnight but who knows how things will turn out.

There's the thread about offsites

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 25, 2020

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Hello, old friend.

Also bnr or buns and rods as is coloquialy known is cool and suprisingly easy to use on mobile. Check the offsite thread in cspam for other alternatives.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 26, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I was planning to make a replica of the italian thread on b&r but if someone else is going to make a eurothread i'll just post there.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Croatia will have parliamentary elections next Sunday. The same two parties are still battling for dominance, as they have been doing for the last 30 years. I understand that makes it the most ossified political scene of all the ex-communist countries. Still, there are some new developments. Here are the relevant parties, in the order they are currently polling.

SDP (social democrats) - Old left. The president of Croatia (also former PM, and former head of the party) Zoran Milanović has a way of being arrogant and abrasive without actually fighting for the cause or achieving anything. The style is now copied by his successor Davor Bernardić. The man has no qualities that I'm aware of, but he's supposedly hard-working. The idea of him running the country in a major crisis makes me uneasy to say the least.

HDZ (democratic union) - Old right. The current PM is Andrej Plenković, a moderate and a former diplomat. He visited the recent Novak Dokovic's tennis tournament, met him briefly and patted him. It later turned out that Dokovic is covid positive so a whole bunch of tennis players, staff and other involved people had to self-isolate. Somehow, that doesn't apply to Plenkovic and he's facing public outrage over it. It's even more embarrassing since his elections motto is "There are no untouchables".

Demokratski pokret (homeland movement) - New right, except it's mostly old faces. Led by boyish-looking businessman/singer/politician/entertainer Miroslav Škoro. I'm not sure what policy changes they strive for compared to what HDZ is offering. The pro-choice/pro-life discussion recently resurfaced, only for Škoro to conclude that he's for protecting life from inception to birth, but that he's also against making abortion illegal. That's already HDZ's stance. Also, he wouldn't form the government with Milorad Pupovac who leads the Serb minority. OK but not sure it's a huge deal. They are anti-Serb but not unreasonably so. Again, very similar to HDZ.

Most (bridge) - The big hit of the last elections, a collection of small-town majors interested in improving their communities and meritocracy. Started disintegrating (both as a group, and ideologically) even before the parliament formed. It looked like they were heading for the political scrapyard, like so many Croatian third-way parties, but they still retain some clout. They have recently been joined by two fairly well-known political commentators, one of them a former acquaintance of mine. It helped reinvigorate the party's perception a bit.

Možemo (we can) - New left. A coalition of parties that includes communists (worker's front) but is better known for Tomislav Tomašević's "Zagreb is ours". Not too long ago he was a green party activist who was struggling to get into Zagreb city council. It didn't take him long to turn into one of the opposition leaders in Zagreb city council, and his bloc is now on the door of the parliament. That's great since there are decades of activism and education behind this guy, he's here to stay, and I believe his influence will grow organically.

Živi zid (living wall) - An anti-establishment party that grew from an organization that was disrupting evictions of poor people. They started disintegrating after they won a seat in the European Parliament and fought over it. The most idiotic and very popular member of the party, Ivan Pernar, left to make his own party.

Stranka s imenom i prezimenom (party with name and last name) - Liberals. The oddly-named party is something like Most 2.0. Competent and unrelated individuals who include a former state attorney and a former director of a hospital. Both were sacked for being too successful.Also a popular anti-taxes, anti-syndicates economist.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bit EU adjacent:

Iceland just had presidential elections.
People seemed to like the sitting president Gudni Johannesson, who got 92% of the votes cast.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200628-iceland-s-president-easily-wins-re-election-with-90-percent-of-votes-partial-results-show

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
You Gotta Pump Those Numbers Up, Those Are Rookie Numbers
/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clearly everybody who voted for him was a family member.

Thank you, thank you. Try the veal, folks.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

Macron appoints Jean Castex as French prime minister
Low-profile conservative politician to replace Edouard Philippe.

PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron appointed Jean Castex — a low-profile, 55-year-old conservative politician — as his new prime minister on Friday, according to the president's office.

Castex, who is mayor of the small town of Prades in southern France, had previously been given the delicate task of handling the government's plan for exiting the coronavirus lockdown.

I mean, we all knew Philippe was toast, but who the gently caress is this guy? Any French posters know?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

I mean, we all knew Philippe was toast, but who the gently caress is this guy? Any French posters know?

From Mayor of a town of 6000 to Prime Minister seems a slight step up. Wikipedia says he was an advisor for social affairs to Sarkozy

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, that made me curious; advisor and small-time mayor doesn't really seem like the right cred, even under the French imperial presidency system.

Is he just the blank slate through which Macron and his team can push poo poo, or is there some weird tradeoff with the Republicains or something? IDGI

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

He's had a good but basically undistinguished career in the civil service including several ministry jobs under Chirac & Sarko. He's absolutely an odd pick for PM, but he was a Fillon supporter so he's probably something of an a olive branch to the conservative right as well as an uncontroversial technocrat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What bugs me, not that anyone needs more proof, is that they still claim to be centrist or whatever when it's just another affirmation that LREM is just another right-wing party. I'd wish they'd just come clean about that already.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Junior G-man posted:

Not really more than what the blurb says. Small town mayor, was part of the Chirac and Sarkozy administrations in minor roles, supported Fillon during the 2017 elections, tasked with organizing the end of the covid lockdown, now Prime Minister.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It sounds like he'll only be a sockpuppet for Macron.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah , this guy might as well be named (placeholder), french PM.

Btw french goons, does this green+red alliance real?can it hold?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

STAGES OF INDIGNATION: There was some excitement for those who spent the weekend in the Brussels bubble: Commission President Ursula von der Leyen appeared, along with other senior figures from the European People’s Party, in a electoral spot for Croatia’s HDZ on the eve of the country’s election. (The clip is the sort of name-dropping exercise which is supposed to show people how well-connected their leader is.)

It prompted some strong reactions. And it wasn’t so much the content of the video, in which everybody wished for a “safe Croatia,” or the reminder that von der Leyen hails from the EPP that people objected to.

A Renew Europe spokesman said it’s “unprecedented and inappropriate” for the Commission president “to campaign” in a national election, saying that von der Leyen “should focus on leading our Union as a whole” and that her “priority should be to campaign for the recovery plan and future MFF.”

So apparently the EC President was campaigning on behalf of the EPP candidate in Serbia.

Good look that. Not as bad as Juncker literally telling the Greeks that a vote for Syriza means death, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Junior G-man posted:

So apparently the EC President was campaigning on behalf of the EPP candidate in Serbia.

Good look that. Not as bad as Juncker literally telling the Greeks that a vote for Syriza means death, but still.

It's Scotland op, not Serbia. Serbia isn't yet a member of the African Union.