Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Motronic posted:

That's awesome. Retropie/Mame?

Yep, downloaded a huge romset for final burn alpha.
Also has every NES game and a smattering of games for other consoles for good measure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nice! i set mine back up from my move finally

only one pic on my phone atm but here it is

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Currently removing trim to do basement floors in finished area...

In summation. gently caress the PO.

Yes that 6" piece of trim will never come off cleanl with 4 nails.

Oh cool fiber trim in a basement that isn't going to be a poo poo Noodle becsuse of humidity.

Edit up to a third trim material just pulled a section of plastic trim off

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 3, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:eyepop: Those are both amazing!

Not having a workshop during this... let's euphemize it as "downtime" really makes me appreciate everyone else's work :)

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Yay, love Mame builds! Since I don't have the garage space in my current rental currently (and can't coat everything in sawdust again) to build a full cabinet, I opted for some very cheaply made controllers - 1 for me and 1 each for the kids to plug into my computer and away we go.

Behold the LunchMame! If anything goes wrong just unclip the lid and take a look!

(Internals from AliExpress, lunchbox from Kmart)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh my god that's so wholesome and I need one

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Oh my god that's so wholesome and I need one

One spare afternoon and a few bits and pieces and you're there! https://almigo.blogspot.com/2020/03/hours-of-fun-in-your-own-lunchbox.html

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lunch boxes are also fantastic for it

focusattack and paradise arcade for parts, FA is in PA and Paradise is in Hawaii for shipping reasons

if you have any questions post in the Fighting Games thread in games, I've made every mistake 50 times and will share all my pain and theres a bunch of others who still carry water for the days of old arcades

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I only use my pi 2 or 3 times a year to play Tecmo Bowl with updated rosters and god damnit the pull on me to make a lunchbox stick is making it's presence known.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

That's really cool. Any good plans for an arcade cabinet?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Dave posted:

I only use my pi 2 or 3 times a year to play Tecmo Bowl with updated rosters and god damnit the pull on me to make a lunchbox stick is making it's presence known.

I love that this is a thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah fill me in on how this works

I'm guessing at this point you just feed a script a csv file and it modifies some hex values?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Enthusiasts compile new roms and post them on TecmoBowl.org. I recommend Goji’s roms as he updates the rosters and releases a new version every week through the season.

https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/606-gojis-nfl-tecmo-super-bowl-liv/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Suburban Dad posted:

I love that this is a thing.

pretty much

nice to see some people are making the world a better place in their own little way

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Camo Guitar posted:

Yay, love Mame builds! Since I don't have the garage space in my current rental currently (and can't coat everything in sawdust again) to build a full cabinet, I opted for some very cheaply made controllers - 1 for me and 1 each for the kids to plug into my computer and away we go.

Behold the LunchMame! If anything goes wrong just unclip the lid and take a look!

(Internals from AliExpress, lunchbox from Kmart)

You could probably fit an RPi in the box and make an amazing plug and play unit for a TV

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I had some walnut left over from a project so I made a Japanese style tool box to hold my hand tools.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/making-a-traditional-japanese-toolbox

I used these plans, I changed them up slightly.

The maple lock piece is held in place with magnets. I was going to dovetail it but I cut and glued everything before I remembered that I had planned on doing it.

Plywood/poplar shelf to hold some of the smaller tools.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
There was very little grim determination and zero sanding, but... I got bored on Sunday and decided to build something. So...

These fuckers got a chicknic table.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

There was very little grim determination and zero sanding, but... I got bored on Sunday and decided to build something. So...

These fuckers got a chicknic table.

Nice! I'm sending that to my friend who has chickens

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Got the drawers, hood, and doors on my miter station/wall.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Built myself a mobile assembly/outfeed table. I watched a bunch of videos then designed it from scratch to fit my needs. I really need to learn how to build drawers better. Haven't quite figured out the secret sauce to making everything perfectly square, but after a little shimming they work well, but a bit more trial and error than I would have liked. The slot on the left holds my table saw/router jigs which took a bit of thought to design efficiently. Drawers on both sides, and somewhat of a bench dog setup with the vise and T-Track. Vise handle was handmade on the lathe as my first time ever using a lathe. Finished with Arm-R-Seal.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's pretty sweet! And it looks like a very good job on the vise handle.

:sigh: I miss having access to a lathe.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Trabant posted:

That's pretty sweet! And it looks like a very good job on the vise handle.

:sigh: I miss having access to a lathe.

you guys shutdown again?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
No, the space is still open. I just don't feel comfortable going in because people can't be trusted. I mean the world at large, not just the people I'd be sharing the space with.

I might give it a shot if I didn't have to help out my elderly parents with general life stuff on occasion. It's too much to risk just to indulge my sawdust fetish.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

bEatmstrJ posted:

Built myself a mobile assembly/outfeed table. I watched a bunch of videos then designed it from scratch to fit my needs. I really need to learn how to build drawers better. Haven't quite figured out the secret sauce to making everything perfectly square, but after a little shimming they work well, but a bit more trial and error than I would have liked. The slot on the left holds my table saw/router jigs which took a bit of thought to design efficiently. Drawers on both sides, and somewhat of a bench dog setup with the vise and T-Track. Vise handle was handmade on the lathe as my first time ever using a lathe. Finished with Arm-R-Seal.

That looks really cool, i'm currently in the process of adding drawers to my work bench, based on this video/guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZouy2wDoU

Should be done this week, learning lots along the way.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Slash posted:

That looks really cool, i'm currently in the process of adding drawers to my work bench, based on this video/guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZouy2wDoU

Should be done this week, learning lots along the way.

Brad was my inspiration for this workbench. Both of those videos were my starting points. Building his miter station and flip/cart next.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I posted about getting a Kelly hatchet off eBay in the Blacksmithing thread with some questions. The plan is to clean it, polish it, get the edge professionally sharpened, buff it and get someone who knows what they're doing to hang it on a new handle. Long-term it is going to be a little camping hatchet/tool. I don't expect YouTube restorer perfection, but it will be nice to have something I've done on-hand.

It arrived on Monday, there were good and bad parts about it.

1. Although I'm not keeping it, whoever hung it on the current handle did not use a hatchet/axe handle and it doesn't fill the entire eye. The head is loose af, so I'm not even willing to try a few practice swings.
2. The edge appears to have been ground on an angle, so it gently curves now, rather than being straight, and the top edge starts about 1.5cm or more behind (closer to the poll) the bottom. I'm not going to be able to reshape it straight as there's not enough head, it only being a hatchet, and there's a notch for something in the bottom edge (I think it's a carpentry thing for pulling nails, maybe)?
3. Other damage is less than expected, specifically the mushrooming of the poll wasn't as bad as first thought.
4. I think the PO tried to use a grinder to sharpen it, leaving some weird bevelled sections near the edge, and probably what contributed to the shape in #2 when they've hosed the pooch, but there's enough meat in the cheek/face to smooth it out and make it look normal again.

One of my housemates is an incredibly crafty type who has a whole range of ridiculous skills and experience doing things. I managed to find a metal bastard file with no handle in her toolbox of tricks, and a vice without anything through the hole in the winder. I used the tail of the file to tighten the vice to hold the handle of the axe so I could work on it.

About 30-45 minutes with the bastard file and I've managed to remove the mushrooming. I'm now working on cleaning up the very top and the poll to make them square/straight.

I ordered a M14 threaded drill bit adaptor for a 6 inch angle grinder hook and loop backing pad and a bunch of various grit wet and dry sheets. I ordered from eBay and won't expect them until late this month unfortunately. If I'm right, I should be able to do all the rest with this file, the drill, the sanding sheets and some drill-bit buffers and compound, and there's a place around the corner from where I live that sharpens axes and rehangs them.

I'll update this with some progress photos later.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Since sailing season has been canceled this year, have been eyeball-building a sailboat from scratch, I have some RC guts to dump in it when it is mostly water tight. It is loosely based on an mid-1990s/early 2000s IMOCA/Open 60 design (the modern 2015+ models look more like alien spaceships than sailboats). Gonna hit it with some wood putty to seal up the gaps, put a transom (back/trunk lid) on it, and I have a prebuilt rudder off of ebay

Thinking about naming it the Stephen Fry, as the nose (bow) is a bit crooked. I also have an ardupilot for it, which in theory should turn it into an autonomous GPS sailing drone? We'll see.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hadlock posted:

Since sailing season has been canceled this year, have been eyeball-building a sailboat from scratch, I have some RC guts to dump in it when it is mostly water tight. It is loosely based on an mid-1990s/early 2000s IMOCA/Open 60 design (the modern 2015+ models look more like alien spaceships than sailboats). Gonna hit it with some wood putty to seal up the gaps, put a transom (back/trunk lid) on it, and I have a prebuilt rudder off of ebay

Thinking about naming it the Stephen Fry, as the nose (bow) is a bit crooked. I also have an ardupilot for it, which in theory should turn it into an autonomous GPS sailing drone? We'll see.

Should put this in the scale modeling thread!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hadlock posted:

This is super neat, thanks for sharing it!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I messed up when turning this guy originally but kept the pieces with the intent of using a kintsugi-style repair process to fix it. I'm calling it a qualified success, even with the big chunk missing from the side:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

That happen on the lathe? I have thrown bowls but never blown one up.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm not sure about the sequence because it happened in a flash. I was working the outer shape, got a bad catch, the chuck let go, and it went flying. It bounced off my face shield but I don't know if it was already in pieces or if it broke once it landed. Probably the latter, but :iiam:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm gonna keep :justpost:ing even though this isn't so much a "project" as "thing I did to tickle the storage/organization fetish center of my brain."

I have a couple of Dremel tools which came with their own cases and bags, plus various accessories, and I wanted them in one place. I bought one of these (look for a sale, use the coupons):

and picked out the included foam to Tetris my way into having the tools and accessories like this:

Still have room to add... uh, some tiny thing!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Trabant posted:

I'm gonna keep :justpost:ing even though this isn't so much a "project" as "thing I did to tickle the storage/organization fetish center of my brain."

I have a couple of Dremel tools which came with their own cases and bags, plus various accessories, and I wanted them in one place. I bought one of these (look for a sale, use the coupons):

and picked out the included foam to Tetris my way into having the tools and accessories like this:

Still have room to add... uh, some tiny thing!

I should probably do this. I really hate some of my tool cases.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If I had a bunch of tools -- and no drawers/cabinets -- I would absolutely standardize on one case or storage system. I imagine it gets expensive in a hurry though.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Wife's pet name is Bird. Started calling her momma bird now that she's pregnant, made her this for her birthday. Little wall art for the nursery.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

bobua posted:

Wife's pet name is Bird. Started calling her momma bird now that she's pregnant, made her this for her birthday. Little wall art for the nursery.

You knocked it out of the park! Looks great!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Trabant posted:

Same. It’s very satisfying to custom fit foam for tools.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Should say last aid imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Scrap wood and 3d printed hardware turned into a grinder stand/storage.