Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wheeee posted:

In that price range the two IEMs that generally stand above the rest are the Etymotic ER2XR and the Moondrop Starfield.

Having owned multiple Etymotic IEMs over the years as well as the Moondrop KXXS upon which the Starfield is based, my preference is for Etymotic but both are good; Etymotic basically have a more 'correct' neutral sound tuned off Etymotic's in-house DF target, whereas the Starfield/KXXS will have a wider perceived soundstage with most music, but with a relatively 'hollow' sounding midrange ime.

Look up some reviews of both, and always buy from a store that allows returns

:hmmyes: good options! Also a good site in general it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm thinking about getting some big circumaural headphones for use mostly at my PC, onto which I'll probably affix a modmic as needed. I'm not an audiophile, and wired is fine, but I have a big head and need something that'll sit off my ears comfortably without getting too hot. What are my options around ~$200?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What are people wearing that don't want to shut the world out? That want to hear what's going on around them but also listen to headphones. I have some buds and Sein's and some others but they all mute the world too much for some situations. I have congenital hearing loss and can't hear some frequencies, so good is good enough. Honestly I might grab a $20 pair of Koss if there is nothing else.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I use the AKG K240's though they're a little hard to drive. They allow me to hear the world around me just fine when necessary.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wormil posted:

What are people wearing that don't want to shut the world out? That want to hear what's going on around them but also listen to headphones. I have some buds and Sein's and some others but they all mute the world too much for some situations. I have congenital hearing loss and can't hear some frequencies, so good is good enough. Honestly I might grab a $20 pair of Koss if there is nothing else.

depends on where you are/what your needs are. I have some Plantronics Backbeats that are semi-open, which I like for working out/commuting on foot/being in lab.

I also liked my Q701s when I used them with an apropriate amp....:/ I should get those outta storage and fix em up.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

wormil posted:

Are the headphones that you already have open-back?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Baby Proof posted:

Are the headphones that you already have open-back?

They are all closed circumaural except my buds. I've never used open phones other than those cheap foam ones, I didn't even know they existed. Basically I need to hear my surroundings when video conferencing or walking the dog and because my hearing is poo poo there is no use in spending more than $100 and I'd rather spend less since I already have decent headphones.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

In that price range Koss KSC75 or Koss Portapro are the poo poo; I was actually looking for my KSC75 the other day since they're great for use on like bike trails where you don't want sound isolation.

Koss also has a lifetime warranty.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The portapro are legendary for a reason and the K240 might be a problem outdoors, both from "can your phone drive these" and from comfort while sweating viewpoints.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These seem like a pretty smoking deal.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have a set of NAD HP50 headphones. They came with a mic cable they specify is for iOS devices. What makes a cable OS specific? Is there no way I can have the headphones connected to my PC and use them for work calls?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

me your dad posted:

I have a set of NAD HP50 headphones. They came with a mic cable they specify is for iOS devices. What makes a cable OS specific? Is there no way I can have the headphones connected to my PC and use them for work calls?

Seems like there are buttons designed to work for sure on iOS devices.

From their online manual:

NAD VISO HP50 posted:

VISO HP50 includes an inline microphone and remote cable for use with iPod and other iOS devices. The cable is equipped with a call answer button and other phone features for effortless switching between music listening and talking. It also features music and video playback control for iPod®, iPhone® and iPad®.• Audio is supported on all iPod models. The remote is supported by iPod Shuffle (3rd generation and later).• The remote and microphone are supported only by • iPod nano (4th generation and later) • iPod Classic (120GB, 160GB) • iPod Touch (2nd generation and later) • iPhone 3S, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad and iPad mini

That said, since you already have them, why not just plug them in and see if they work? :)

I imagine the worst that will happen will be that you can't use the button controls?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm worried I may be getting old when I don't think about this kind of thing on my own.

I was just messing around with it a bit more and I had the headphones plugged into the headphone port on my PC but I may need to plug it in through the mic connection, which is unfortunately on the backside of the PC and my cable isn't super long.

I'll mess around with it some more.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are there any decent brands for AirPods Pro replacement tips in memory foam? Tons of sketchy poo poo on amazon.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

priznat posted:

Are there any decent brands for AirPods Pro replacement tips in memory foam? Tons of sketchy poo poo on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Compa...ctronics&sr=1-3

Comply, make sure to pick what you think is the right size or get the sample pack.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dogen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Compa...ctronics&sr=1-3

Comply, make sure to pick what you think is the right size or get the sample pack.

Ah nice, not available on amazon.ca yet but hopefully will show up once they launch. Worth waiting!

I think the silicon tips have a rip in them and wondering if that is what is causing a bit of a noise like a tap when I move, kind of annoying.

Also now I can’t seem to get a good fit using the test on the left bud which is the problem one. I hear you can get a replacement pair of tips from apple for $4 or something.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Spinfit were supposed to have some silicone ones for the airpods pro out by now but they were already running behind and I assume the pandemic has further complicated things.

You might see if the comply website ships to canada? https://www.complyfoam.com/products/app-comply-foam-tips-compatible-with-airpods-pro/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dogen posted:

Spinfit were supposed to have some silicone ones for the airpods pro out by now but they were already running behind and I assume the pandemic has further complicated things.

You might see if the comply website ships to canada? https://www.complyfoam.com/products/app-comply-foam-tips-compatible-with-airpods-pro/

Oh on the amazon link for me it said they are preordering now and will be out on the 27th, if they are already out I will check out getting them direct!

Hm 4.99 shipping but 15-30 days, dang prime has spoiled me :haw:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

After reading the OP and googling around a bit this afternoon, I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD596 or the Audio Technica ATH-M50x, leaning towards the former. Does anyone have any opinions on those two headphones? Or would you recommend something else entirely?

Quoting myself here for context. Does anyone know if Sennheisers are having distribution issues or something? The HD 569 seems to be on back order everywhere I look. I was hoping to get them over the ATH-M50x because I've seen reviews that say that they are significantly more comfortable, especially if you wear glasses, which I do. I guess if I can't find them soon I can always just order a pair of ATH-M50x and swap out the pads if they are too uncomfortable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a pair of the hyped Urbanfun YBF(whatever). They are a legit and very good and especially for the money. Highly recommended as long as q/a doesnt bite it in the rear end.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

VikingofRock posted:

Quoting myself here for context. Does anyone know if Sennheisers are having distribution issues or something? The HD 569 seems to be on back order everywhere I look. I was hoping to get them over the ATH-M50x because I've seen reviews that say that they are significantly more comfortable, especially if you wear glasses, which I do. I guess if I can't find them soon I can always just order a pair of ATH-M50x and swap out the pads if they are too uncomfortable.

No idea about Sennheiser, but in your research did you stumble upon the AKG K371? It's a relatively recently released headphone, came out last year, and is tuned almost exactly to the current Harman OE target which is close to perceived neutral with a large sub-bass boost; it's commonly recognized as the best closed headphone near that ~$150 price range by those who've heard them, and I'd agree having owned a pair.

There's also the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro in that price range, which I've talked mad poo poo about due to Beyer's weird tuning making them polarizing, but having had a pair in the past they are also in my experience better sounding than the M50X, which when I briefly listened to it sounded muddy with harsh treble. Personally not a fan of the DT770 but lots of people are.

I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet, but check those two out as well, especially the K371, and if you can't try before you buy always buy from a store with a return policy since audio gear is highly subjective. Between the two I mentioned the K371 will have a harder time getting a good seal with glasses, which may be an issue, whereas the DT770 has large ear cups that are easier to get a seal with.

Also in general pads actually have a fairly large impact on sound quality, and in a lot of cases aftermarket pads will gently caress up the sound of a headphone; exceptions exist but you'd have to research to find them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

priznat posted:

I ordered Dekoni bulletz off drop.com. They are pretty good. Came in a three pack. I live in Canada. Took some time, but worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

I ordered Dekoni bulletz off drop.com. They are pretty good. Came in a three pack. I live in Canada. Took some time, but worth it.

Which MM size?

Also any issues with them fitting in the case?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

MarcusSA posted:

Which MM size?

Also any issues with them fitting in the case?

Large, same size as the original large rubber ones. They fit fine. They stick in my ear much better. Had issues with the left one falling out when laying down with the original tips. Not an issue now.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
Hi,

Looking for a bit of help with my headphone choice.
A while back my old Bose headphones (QC25) that I've had forever stopped working so I've been looking for replacements.
With the whole COVID19 thing happening, I've been working from home (and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future).
I bought a pair of Jabra Elite Active 75t buds to use both for music and for all the zoom meetings. I am so close to happy with them, but I have constant sound issues when it switches over to 'call mode' / using the microphone produces uneven sound in my buds, either mostly in left or right ear, seemingly at random, but very frequently. Weirdly enough the issue isn't present when listening to music, but Jabra support have not been able to figure out the problem, so I'm leaning towards just returning them for a refund. There's also the occasional issue where there is a bit of static, or connection dropout when moving around a bit.
Overall they give me the feeling of being one or two iterations away from being a great product (reminds me of when I bought the original Kobo ereader, it was easy to tell that a couple of releases away would be amazing (though that ended up being a Kindle for me)).

Now that I've tried out IEMs I'm happy to give them another crack, is there another brand that's a bit more reliable? Or are they all kind of 'ok' connection and stability-wise? I don't mind going back to over-ear ones if required.
Things I like about the Jabras / features I want:
Hear-through is awesome, I found this very handy to have on when walking around, and I genuinely can hold full conversations with someone with earbuds in and this feature on. It was particularly good having a sliding scale for this, not just an on / off toggle.
Can connect to two devices at once - needs to be able to pick up calls on phone (I have an Android phone) and also answer ones on the laptop as required.
A lot of the other IEMs I've looked at are a bit bulkier, I really like the size and shape of the Jabra ones, I can lie down on my side and they aren't uncomfortable. They don't draw attention to themselves which I like.
Wouldn't mind a slightly better quality microphone given the amount of talking I have to do throughout the day.
Don't think I need active noise-cancelling if IEM, I've been pretty happy with the passive stuff for now.
Decent quality for music - I'm no audiophile, but they're going to be used for about 80% music, 20% chatting to people.

Probably doesn't matter since everything ships internationally, but I'm in Australia.
thanks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I have a pair of Jabra 65T Actives where the microphone doesn't work at all. I bought them on sale so the stores are out of stock for a replacement and Jabra themselves are running through the usual support bullshit like rebooting, etc. Does anyone know anything? I'm on a Pixel 4 XL and my Bose QC35s work for calls and I've tested on a Pixel 1 and an iPad as well. My friend has my exact set up (Pixel 4 XL + Jabras) and his works fine. :mad:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

crepeface posted:

I have a pair of Jabra 65T Actives where the microphone doesn't work at all. I bought them on sale so the stores are out of stock for a replacement and Jabra themselves are running through the usual support bullshit like rebooting, etc. Does anyone know anything? I'm on a Pixel 4 XL and my Bose QC35s work for calls and I've tested on a Pixel 1 and an iPad as well. My friend has my exact set up (Pixel 4 XL + Jabras) and his works fine. :mad:

My Jabra Elites are such little bastards. Sometimes the sound will go so low in the right bud that it's practically off. The only solution I've found is just holding the left bud's buttons alternately until it starts working, which seems to be the only type of solution I see with any of the Jabra models.

On a similar subject, does anyone know any good wireless buds where I can use either the left or right bud? I ask because I work a 12 hour shift where we're allowed to have one bud in at a time, and it sucks that I can only use the right bud with my Jabras. It'd be cool if I could just alternate using one side while the other charges.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The Klipsch ones allow that. You connect either bud to bluetooth and then when you pull the other one out, it switches to stereo for both buds. If you put the other bud away, the remaining one will stay on and connected.

They aren't perfect. Sometimes they freak out and refuse to connect or turn on. But you can usually fix with a quick reset by holding down the buttons while they're in the charging case.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only issue I've had with my jabras is occasionally the right ear would lose sound but its only when I'm running and I dont know if its my sweat getting in them or my canal shifting around and causing the plug to cover itself. Usually removing it and resetting them on my ear fixes the problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm surprised Jabra is still in business do they make anything that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Their wireless earbuds consistently get good reviews and I see them alot at work.

They're headsets are pretty good too. I've got a wireless one I really like that work paid for.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wheeee posted:

No idea about Sennheiser, but in your research did you stumble upon the AKG K371? It's a relatively recently released headphone, came out last year, and is tuned almost exactly to the current Harman OE target which is close to perceived neutral with a large sub-bass boost; it's commonly recognized as the best closed headphone near that ~$150 price range by those who've heard them, and I'd agree having owned a pair.

There's also the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro in that price range, which I've talked mad poo poo about due to Beyer's weird tuning making them polarizing, but having had a pair in the past they are also in my experience better sounding than the M50X, which when I briefly listened to it sounded muddy with harsh treble. Personally not a fan of the DT770 but lots of people are.

I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet, but check those two out as well, especially the K371, and if you can't try before you buy always buy from a store with a return policy since audio gear is highly subjective. Between the two I mentioned the K371 will have a harder time getting a good seal with glasses, which may be an issue, whereas the DT770 has large ear cups that are easier to get a seal with.

Also in general pads actually have a fairly large impact on sound quality, and in a lot of cases aftermarket pads will gently caress up the sound of a headphone; exceptions exist but you'd have to research to find them.

Thanks for this. I ended up getting the ATH M50X from a store with a good return policy, but luckily I find them to be pretty comfortable even with my glasses.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wormil posted:

I'm surprised Jabra is still in business do they make anything that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Their USB speakerphones are quite good.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

My DT770s were kinda crushed in an accident and I'm looking for a replacement. My husband has Sennheiser 599s which are really nice but they look to be sold out. What's a good 150 range headset, preferably open this time.

(Previous headphones were M50 and DT770s)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Stretch a little and buy a 58x?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dogen posted:

Stretch a little and buy a 58x?

This

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is my best bet for (wireless) over the ear (ear piercing, on-ear is no bueno/no way José) to get a regular wireless over the ear headset and glue a ModMic to it?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is my best bet for (wireless) over the ear (ear piercing, on-ear is no bueno/no way José) to get a regular wireless over the ear headset and glue a ModMic to it?

Basically all wireless headphones have mics built in of varying quality. A built in one might work for you, worth a shot anyway. Then if not, yeah, you could get a midmic or a desktop mic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Basically all wireless headphones have mics built in of varying quality. A built in one might work for you, worth a shot anyway. Then if not, yeah, you could get a midmic or a desktop mic.

They what? lol

I'd be looking one with a boom arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
My Sennheiser HD215 are on the way out and I'd really like to replace them with the equivelent pair from the same brand because I used and loved the HD's for over a decade - what are the threads opinions on the Sennheiser HD 599?

My use case is Gaming/General and the HD599 are sort of the budget I'm looking at.