Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

snake and bake posted:

Yeah, there's a subreddit for covid+ people to discuss their symptoms. An alarming number of posts from people claiming their symptoms have lasted for months. More recently, I've been seeing posts about possible reinfections too.

That forum is absolutely crammed full of people insisting they’ve got super covid despite testing negative 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the hell happened with America? It seemed like they were on the same page as the rest of the world for a short while and then after putting in a bit of effort just gave up and now everything has gone to poo poo? It's like the world was playing Mario Kart and everyone was alongside each other and then the States got hit by a red shell so they just put down their controller and said "Whatever" and went to get a beer and then came back and is looking at everyone lapping them and now they're saying "It's fine, it doesn't matter, the controls are stupid and different than I'm used to"

Do you think Bowsette will be in the next Mario Kart?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sweden is begging Finland and Norway to open the borders and that's not loving happening.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lodin posted:

Sweden is begging Finland and Norway to open the borders and that's not loving happening.

I hope it doesn’t happen

I hope that the same thing happens with Americans being denied entry to every other country

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

What the hell happened with America? It seemed like they were on the same page as the rest of the world for a short while and then after putting in a bit of effort just gave up and now everything has gone to poo poo? It's like the world was playing Mario Kart and everyone was alongside each other and then the States got hit by a red shell so they just put down their controller and said "Whatever" and went to get a beer and then came back and is looking at everyone lapping them and now they're saying "It's fine, it doesn't matter, the controls are stupid and different than I'm used to"

https://mobile.twitter.com/theonion/status/1060564829365301248

THOUSAND OAKS, CA—In the hours following a virus rampage in California in which a lone attacker killed 12 individuals, including a police officer, and seriously injured at least 12 others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Thursday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Kansas resident Carrie Grant, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass outbreaks have occurred in the past 50 days and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of coronavirus than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from not wearing a mask and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly 100,000 infections have occurred every day for the past eight days were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lodin posted:

They are also really salty about this issue and have beem saying that "they need to re-evaluate the level of trust and cooperation between Nordic countries because of this".

Maybe re-evaluate your approach to dealing with your lung plague pandemic before calling your neighbors assholes for locking you out?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Are people still triumphantly writing articles about Sweden doing so well without the high level of lockdown?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lodin posted:

How do you even close those borders? That's hundreds (thousands?) of miles, much of it more remote than the US/Canada border that you can basically walk across in most places.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do you even close those borders? That's hundreds (thousands?) of miles, much of it more remote than the US/Canada border that you can basically walk across in most places.

Well, you close the border crossings on the like, 10 roads that lead out of the country, and if some insane people want to walk into Norway to do ?, then they can. Closing off road and air travel routes blocks 99%+ of all human traffic. There isn't some mass exodus of impoverished, diseased Swedes waiting to cross empty tracts of National Parks just to get into Norway with what they can carry on their backs.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fallom posted:

That forum is absolutely crammed full of people insisting they’ve got super covid despite testing negative 10 times.

It's the false pregnancy/morgellon's phenomenon. I don't know what causes it but they're plain loving crazy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are only so many roads you need to post up on. Nobody's hiking through miles of alpine wilderness to evade border controls unless Sweden gets like, America-level bad.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Fallom posted:

It's definitely not a reliable source of information by any means. There's no way to verify any of these posts. Some are made up for attention, some are exaggerating, some are written by hypochondriacs utterly convinced that their panic attacks are covid, etc.

But taken in aggregate, it's interesting to skim through occasionally without putting too much faith into any one particular post. I frankly hate Reddit, but I don't know of another place on the internet where so many people are relating their own personal experiences with this poo poo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Marmaduke! posted:

Are people still triumphantly writing articles about Sweden doing so well without the high level of lockdown?

Not for a while. Rand Paul was the one raving about Sweden's response in Congress but predictably he's been silent about it since then and nobody's called him on it because our journalists suck.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Professor Shark posted:

What the hell happened with America? It seemed like they were on the same page as the rest of the world for a short while and then after putting in a bit of effort just gave up and now everything has gone to poo poo?

There was a poll a month or so back that showed that 70% of Americans were in favour of locking down and getting the pandemic under control, but that other 30% just wouldn't shut up about how it was all a hoax or it was just the flu or it was just China's fault and letting the virus ruin their way of life was exactly the same as surrendering their freedoms (all all three at once) egged on by lovely dumb media, a lovely dumb president and lovely dumb social media, and there was zero or less than zero leadership at the federal level and on the state level they ran out of funds and couldn't afford to shut down for long so they had to reopen whatever happened and so the responsible 70% got ignored, or they were forced to go back to work, or they got crisis fatigue. There's probably a large percentage of them still trying to do the right thing but stuff like wearing masks pretty much only works if most people are doing it so they're going to get dragged down into the poo poo show regardless.

Meanwhile the graph of the US infections is going ballistic but the graph of the COVID deaths is still falling so people who know basic math/health studies are going "OH gently caress" and the idiots are all going "Deaths are going down so stop worrying, WHOO JULY 4TH FIREWORKS GO BOOM"

Also the only way to combat it is for everyone to show some discipline and consideration for others and accept a certain amount of personal discomfort and limit your consumption/socializing and also allow the government to exert a small amount of control and surveillance over everyone for the common good, all of which is complete anathema to a whole lot of Americans. The fact that people will die if they don't follow those simple rules absolutely will not sway them.

A large percentage of Americans would be perfectly capable of dealing with the virus calmly and competently but a large percentage of them are completely incapable of dealing with it, plus their leadership and the way their financial/medical systems are constructed are also incapable of handling the situation, so they're all hosed.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I work for a pretty huge company that's headquartered in the South. Up until a week ago they were planning to send people down to HQ for training. A month ago on a huge webinar somebody that makes at least 6 figures said that corona was "almost over".

We still have no official company policy on working from home in my department, except "well, maybe you can do it? But not too much."

We've been forced to figure this poo poo out ourselves locally, which is kind of a perfect microcosm of the US in general.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do you think if Americans angrily exclaim that COVID is OVER enough that it might actually disappear ala latent Ork Psychic powers?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Do you think if Americans angrily exclaim that COVID is OVER enough that it might actually disappear ala latent Ork Psychic powers?

Red ones go faster!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saalkin posted:

Red ones go faster!

If someone’s lungs have burst from covid, they will indeed die a bloody mess very quickly

Them orks is right

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Professor Shark posted:

I’m pretty sure Trump believes he can just wish it away like the Boogeyman

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
America has a president who doesn't even like DACA. That's like the least orky thing ever.
DACA DACA DACA!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Professor Shark posted:

Americans seem to be really really good at picking a narrative they believe in (either personally or as a subgroup of the population and sometimes as an entire nation) but really really really bad at changing the narrative even when it becomes blisteringly obvious that it's wrong and damaging. Partly that's because the political divide has deepened to the point where people aren't capable of admitting they were wrong on any issue because that would be betraying their political affiliations, plus the fact that the pandemic has become deeply politicized and even gendered (wearing a mask isn't manly!) so people are making a point of ignoring it as a way of supporting Trump.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The nordics are used to operating under the honour system.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Canada has had just over 100k cases the entire pandemic. Seeing the numbers from some of these states is loving insane

To be fair the US has 10 times the population, so we'd expect them to have 10 times the cases.

Wait, they've had how many cases? Oh. oh no

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Americans seem to be really really good at picking a narrative they believe in (either personally or as a subgroup of the population and sometimes as an entire nation) but really really really bad at changing the narrative even when it becomes blisteringly obvious that it's wrong and damaging.

This isn't an American thing, but rather a human psychology thing. When people adopt a belief as part of their identity and are presented with conflicting facts, they are more inclined to double down on that belief rather than changing it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

The nordics are used to operating under the honour system.

Under normal conditions those borders are completely unguarded. Some areas have camera surveillance, and border patrols, but their main job is usually to ensure that people wondering around there in the wilderness are not lost, and know what they are doing.

You can also take a boat across the Baltic sea between Sweden and Finland at your own leisure; on non-stormy conditions you only need something that preferably has a cabin but some crazy people are also known to row from Turku to Åland islands to Stockholm.

So yeah, honour system.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Professor Shark posted:

That's an optimistic take on it.

A more accurate one is that we were also holding our controller upside down while trying to play with everyone else. When everything but essential services shut down in my area I discovered that selling people cars and letting people golf were "essential."

Our lockdowns were half assed so hard, all while the media praised the brave workers being forced to contribute through economic factors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There Bias Two posted:

This isn't an American thing, but rather a human psychology thing. When people adopt a belief as part of their identity and are presented with conflicting facts, they are more inclined to double down on that belief rather than changing it.

I don't believe you. :colbert:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A Fancy Hat posted:

I work for a pretty huge company that's headquartered in the South. Up until a week ago they were planning to send people down to HQ for training. A month ago on a huge webinar somebody that makes at least 6 figures said that corona was "almost over".

We still have no official company policy on working from home in my department, except "well, maybe you can do it? But not too much."

We've been forced to figure this poo poo out ourselves locally, which is kind of a perfect microcosm of the US in general.

Tale of two companies:

My previous employer started staggering office shifts and handing out PPE in late May, no work from home, still doing in person meetings.

My current employer went mandatory work from home for non-production staff with strict rules around masks/gloves/cleaning in early March.

The lack of a single, federal response to this is stunning.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lazyfire posted:

My previous employer started staggering office shifts and handing out PPE in late May, no work from home, still doing in person meetings.

Mine had most of the office go work from home late march. Dragged their feet about my department before making us go every other day in early April. Then forced us all back to the office in early May, of course the people who got to WFH first, also got to come back in last.

PPE consisted of a single box of 20 masks.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hey you guys remember that mask order Texas' governor Abbot finally made, way too late to prevent anything?

A bunch of sheriff's departments are publicly announcing they won't enforce the order. Like not just quietly adopting an internal policy, but using money and time making sure everyone in their county knows they don't really have to wear a mask.

Great job fellas.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sweet, and Abbott will do nothing. TX is going to be the worst outbreak in the world (maybe second to Brazil) within 1 month. My parents are gonna die. I'm gonna die. We Are All Gonne Die.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hey you guys remember that mask order Texas' governor Abbot finally made, way too late to prevent anything?

A bunch of sheriff's departments are publicly announcing they won't enforce the order. Like not just quietly adopting an internal policy, but using money and time making sure everyone in their county knows they don't really have to wear a mask.

Great job fellas.

Not really shocked. I only know folks in smaller places near the border like brownsville and the vibe they had was hoaxy hoax lemme get some drat haircuts. One of my best clients is in texas and I'm pretty sure he's boned.

The idiot brigade that is the vocal minority has the power to kill us/spread this thing continuously because the universe loves irony. The dumbest kid in the classroom locked all the doors and started a fire.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

zer0spunk posted:

Not really shocked. I only know folks in smaller places near the border like brownsville and the vibe they had was hoaxy hoax lemme get some drat haircuts. One of my best clients is in texas and I'm pretty sure he's boned.

The idiot brigade that is the vocal minority has the power to kill us/spread this thing continuously because the universe loves irony. The dumbest kid in the classroom locked all the doors and started a fire.

Let's be real here. There wouldn't be nearly as many of them and the government wouldn't have capitulated in the slightest to them had they not been egged on by federal, state and local governments for literal months

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I asked this back when Oregon or whatever had a bunch of chud sheriffs who did the same thing, and I don't think it was ever answered:

Hazo posted:

I know sheriffs are locally elected, but does the governor or AG have any sort of oversight to discipline them for dereliction of duty like they’re doing now? What the gently caress do you even do?

“You swore an oath to protect public safety and uphold lawfully issued mandates. Your refusal to do this for political reasons shows you are unfit to carry out your duties and as such are immediately relieved of your office.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

zer0spunk posted:

That's unfair. The fire already exists, they're just carrying it around on a stick claiming oxidation is a liberal hoax.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Splicer posted:

That's unfair. The fire already exists, they're just carrying it around on a stick claiming oxidation is a liberal hoax.

wielding fire is what sets us apart from the animals!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hazo posted:

I asked this back when Oregon or whatever had a bunch of chud sheriffs who did the same thing, and I don't think it was ever answered:

The answer is no. In nearly every state an elected sheriff operates autonomously and the state government has no authority or procedure to fire them. They can only be removed through special election or if they commit a felony (state laws do not count because guess who enforces those).

I know this sounds like a joke, but the only states who have taken issue with sheriffs having so much authority could only do anything about it by creating a super sheriff. I am not kidding.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FoolyCharged posted:

Let's be real here. There wouldn't be nearly as many of them and the government wouldn't have capitulated in the slightest to them had they not been egged on by federal, state and local governments for literal months

Oh for sure, the state we're in is a direct reflection of who is running the country. I mean we're in an irony rich 2020 so of course, the same voters who gave us our current political climate are the ones dying off from it.

I'm still pissed that when my state had 1000 people dying a day the senate majority leader gave no fucks and called it a blue state problem. Weird how silent that guy is now that the situation has completely flipped though.

quote:

Mitch McConnell is effectively telling New York and other coronavirus-stricken states to drop dead.

The iron-fisted Senate majority leader announced Wednesday that his Republican caucus won’t support federal bailouts for New York and other states under enormous economic pressure because of the coronavirus pandemic, drawing harsh backlash from both sides of the aisle.
(april 22nd)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 6, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My mother wants to come over to MA from Iceland in August for a visit and we're trying to convince her not to. She doesn't seem to realize how bad it is here and that she'll probably get stranded here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My mother wants to come over to MA from Iceland in August for a visit and we're trying to convince her not to. She doesn't seem to realize how bad it is here and that she'll probably get stranded here.

"You will be stranded in a place where we'll likely have freezer Van's full of the dead outside the local mortician. They literally wont let you return home from here" seems like a pretty good argument.