Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The car doesn't actually kill anything though?

Running something over so it ragdolls, hopping out and beating it up before it gets up, then repeating, is a perfectly valid strategy, however.

It's possible to park the car/truck/etc on top of the big fire demons and whack them to death while they're helpless. Or at least it was the last time I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

I'm really liking this game, except for one thing; I'm having horrible mouse jitter.
It's like the mouse (and to a lesser extent my xbox controller) is operating on a smaller 'grid' than the play area, so any camera movements are jerky and not smooth. Running using WASD is totally smooth.
Almost feels like tearing but it happens with vsync on or off. Getting 80fps+ on ultra settings.
Mouse and gamepad work absolutely fine in other games, just tested Alien Isolation and EDF 4.1.

Things I've done to try and fix it:
Changed ingame settings such as lowering graphics to low, and changing from fullscreen to windowed, no dice.
Checked windows settings such as mouse accel is off, checked drivers.
Updated graphics driver
Changed .ini settings to turn off smoothing (no effect) and changed 'bexpectedscreensize' to match monitor.
Overidden DPI scaling options for the .exe, as well as set high DPI settings to program controlled.
Installed Logitech software. Ugh.
Changed install location to the other SSD that doesn't have the system on it (this solved stutters in for Forza Horizon 4).

I'm now pretty much out of ideas. Surely I can't be the only one with this problem? I can't find anything online either for this game or UE4.
Please help :(

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

IffyNewtz posted:

I'm really liking this game, except for one thing; I'm having horrible mouse jitter.
It's like the mouse (and to a lesser extent my xbox controller) is operating on a smaller 'grid' than the play area, so any camera movements are jerky and not smooth. Running using WASD is totally smooth.
Almost feels like tearing but it happens with vsync on or off. Getting 80fps+ on ultra settings.
Mouse and gamepad work absolutely fine in other games, just tested Alien Isolation and EDF 4.1.

Things I've done to try and fix it:
Changed ingame settings such as lowering graphics to low, and changing from fullscreen to windowed, no dice.
Checked windows settings such as mouse accel is off, checked drivers.
Updated graphics driver
Changed .ini settings to turn off smoothing (no effect) and changed 'bexpectedscreensize' to match monitor.
Overidden DPI scaling options for the .exe, as well as set high DPI settings to program controlled.
Installed Logitech software. Ugh.
Changed install location to the other SSD that doesn't have the system on it (this solved stutters in for Forza Horizon 4).

I'm now pretty much out of ideas. Surely I can't be the only one with this problem? I can't find anything online either for this game or UE4.
Please help :(

Do you mean the sensitivity is way too high? I have had to set the ingame mouse sensitivity to 1.7 ish to get smooth camera movement... I note that you didn't mention adjusting that in the 'things done'.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Do you mean the sensitivity is way too high? I have had to set the ingame mouse sensitivity to 1.7 ish to get smooth camera movement... I note that you didn't mention adjusting that in the 'things done'.

Mine is set at 2.4. Pretty sure I messed with it already but will check using 1.7 thanks

Edit: I love you. It's not perfect but a hell of a lot better. Any way to increase the tracking speed without touching that setting?

Toxoplasmid fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 5, 2020

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

BisbyWorl posted:

Yes. Specifically you need the recipes for Diluted Packaged Fuel, Turbofuel, Heavy Oil Residue, and Compacted Coal.

So actually pulling something like this off takes a bit of hard drive RNG.

Don't need favorable RNG if you just get all the HDDs :colbert:

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah the only byproduct that has to be dealt with in this setup is a bit of polymer resin.

If I want to make stuff using oil, I still have two normal nodes in the patch I found that I can tap whenever.

I just set up an overflow smart splitter on the polymer resin output leading to a ticket sink. That way it doesn't ever get backed up and keeps the generators on.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Also worth always taking from HD:

-Synthetic fabric; only way to manufacture fabric without hunting mushrooms and making it manually. You'll need this to play around with poison clouds (esp. poison cloud crash sites) and later, uranium.

-The first one of the "deeper pockets"-upgrades. HDs can give two of them and I take the first one always when it is offered, but IMHO the second one isn't that necessary if it is available at the same time with something I would actually need right now. The game at this stage simply has too much small stuff to lug around at Tier 7, especially if you like to keep also all your tools with you at all times.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I never really considered the synthetic fabric valuable because so many tree and tree like things give mycelia when cut down with the chainsaw that I always had excess. Fabric is only used for filters and parachutes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Smiling Demon posted:

I never really considered the synthetic fabric valuable because so many tree and tree like things give mycelia when cut down with the chainsaw that I always had excess. Fabric is only used for filters and parachutes.

Its currently the only recipe which completely removes manual labor from a production process for number of items. I am such a lazy person that I actually use tickets to buy filters, since I hate the aspect of hunting mushrooms. The desert sponge-things do not give *that* many to begin with, and the conversion rate to fabric is abysmal. In fact, I'd say that synthetic fabric should be MAM-unlockable, not an alt.

EDIT: ...and automatible biomass harvesting, and automatible generators before coal, and solar or wind turbine which gives very low output but doesn't need anything, besides maybe high enough altitude. Similar to geothermal, which is endgame stuff.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 5, 2020

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Do you get more equipment slots ever? I love the jetpack but I wish I could combine it with the jumpy shoes

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Do you get more equipment slots ever? I love the jetpack but I wish I could combine it with the jumpy shoes

You can get the exosuit mod

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Oh jeez

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What's that square to the north?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fangz posted:

There's a ton of oil nodes in that area so probably refineries or power.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How have map updates worked? I only started playing with the steam release and I understand that the eastern desert got added/updated at one point. Have they added new space, or has it just been overhauls? In either case have major updates invalidated old saves?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Fangz posted:

I’m using two of the many oil nodes in the shallow waters there to run 12 diesel generators each; that’s with all default recipes. Presumably a factory that size is even thirstier.

Oxyclean posted:

How have map updates worked? I only started playing with the steam release and I understand that the eastern desert got added/updated at one point. Have they added new space, or has it just been overhauls? In either case have major updates invalidated old saves?

A long time ago, they changed ore node locations and I believe it caused miners on now-invalid locations to stop producing; like the time when an update wiped the fuel boxes for all of my trucks a year ago it creates a scenario where I’d rather not track everything down to fix it, but doesn’t corrupt or wipe old saves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh yeah, that was great when the last big update happened and it deleted all oil barrels I was storing.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

As other have said already, they did mess around with node locations a few times, and there's also been some changes to level geometry - your stuff will still be there, but the miners might no longer be able to mine anything and half your base might now be inside a cliffside (while still operational). A lot of people got stuck with indestructible trees everywhere when they reworked the red forest in the center of the map.

And then there's things like the last big update introducing liquids, which meant that basically all power generation was rendered inoperational.

So while I never outright lost a save, it's still better to expect a restart (or at least some serious redesign) with every major update, especially if you built a lot of stuff in the more unfinished areas of the map.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Fangz posted:

150 fuel generators fed by a single oil node and a single sulfur node

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
HOLY poo poo! Really nice.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Game can be really overwhelming. I just got to tier 3 and 4 and i'm looking at jumping to 5 and 6... the amount of resources, planning, and logistics are getting real. I want trains and a jetpack though.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

When you get jetpacks and trains, the game turns into a platformer :mario:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As someone who just got both, can confirm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Trucks are so buggy, I wish the tiers for trains and trucks was reversed. Besides, historically, we got trains long before we got off-track personal automobiles.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Schedenfreude is the feeling you get when you unlock trucks, set up automated supply routes, and watch a tractor on autopilot plow right through a pack of those annoying little spider shits at 50kph.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

so what's the deal with fluid dynamics in this game. i had a water extractor with a pipeline heading to a pump that then split for my 3 coal extractors. when i realized I could probably have 6 coal extractors using the 2 coal nodes I added another pump & split to the pipeline, but now it seems like there's not enough water pressure to actually push poo poo through, and it keeps breaking my power grid. do I need more pumps? or a fluid buffer or something? or is this pipeline at capacity?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

CharlesThunder posted:

so what's the deal with fluid dynamics in this game. i had a water extractor with a pipeline heading to a pump that then split for my 3 coal extractors. when i realized I could probably have 6 coal extractors using the 2 coal nodes I added another pump & split to the pipeline, but now it seems like there's not enough water pressure to actually push poo poo through, and it keeps breaking my power grid. do I need more pumps? or a fluid buffer or something? or is this pipeline at capacity?

Pipes have a maximum flow rate of 300, so if you're trying to jam more than 300/s through a single pipe it won't work.

The typical arrangement is apparently 3 water extractors to 8 coal generators (because that's how the water ratio works out). Two water extractors have their own pipes that feed 4 each, and the third is split evenly between the other two pipes (I use a pair of pumps for this in my layout). That way each pipe has 180 water flowing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does your extractor push out enough water to supply that many pipes? Extractors can only put out so much volume, and if you try to split into too many pipes, the pipes won't get filled. You can add another extractor to put more water into the pipes.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Here's a convenient diagram.

Note that you have to power the miner and water extractors with something that isn't connected to the main grid - otherwise when you blow a fuse, the coolant water stops, too. I just made a cluster like this and I have the first plant in the line on its own circuit, dedicated to powering the miner and extractors - if you don't need any additional pumps, that one plant is just enough to run 3 water extractors and a T1 miner without issues.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Drake_263 posted:

Note that you have to power the miner and water extractors with something that isn't connected to the main grid - otherwise when you blow a fuse, the coolant water stops, too. I just made a cluster like this and I have the first plant in the line on its own circuit, dedicated to powering the miner and extractors - if you don't need any additional pumps, that one plant is just enough to run 3 water extractors and a T1 miner without issues.

Pfft. real engineers live on the edge

You can just use a biomass generator to kickstart your water extraction in an emergency. This is assuming your generators run entirely dry, vs if there's still water in the pipes.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 7, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Paint Edit for how I set it up

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
You can also do two 75% extractors per four coal generators

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
So I spent 12 hours yesterday dicking around with coal power. I got the 16 coal power plants set up on a pure coal node and built the 8 water plants to keep them going and now I have 1200 mw of power to use.

I am at a bit of a crossroads now though. I'm set up in the northern forest/desert border area where there are good pure nodes for iron, copper, and limestone. I'm not really sure how I want to do things now that I have all of this power.

My main concern is setting up the more advanced production chains efficiently. I'm not sure if I should bring all my resources to one central node and then primarily produce there, or have separate factories creating more advanced stuff which then ships around. I'm just dipping into the stuff that can be made with steel and I haven't done anything beyond the basic pipes and beams. I also need to go back and re-make my basic iron stuff now that I have new extractors and alternative recipes for stuff like screws.

Then there's quartz, caterium, and sulfur I have to contend with... I'm not sure how those will even be involved with my production yet since I haven't gotten much recipes that use them.

Is it feasible to ship this stuff all to one central base that produces everything or should I make several smaller bases that make stuff then ship it to a central location to assemble it? Ugh. So many choices.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I've added a section of my base dedicated solely to making beacons. (which will get used for rifle ammo once I get the supply chain for that figured out.)

Sorta silly how you need all this just to automate something you have from the very start of the game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The fact bullets take beacons to make is hilarious to me. Like Ficsit is tracking every drat shot to make sure you’re not the one shooting the space elevator when you’re bored.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bussamove posted:

The fact bullets take beacons to make is hilarious to me. Like Ficsit is tracking every drat shot to make sure you’re not the one shooting the space elevator when you’re bored.

It used to be that Nobelisks required them, and that made sense - they're remote-detonated, the beacon is an antenna to pick up the signal. And nobelisks were required for bullets as an explosive charge.

Then the tree got rebalanced, without really thinking about what that means in-world.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

vandalism posted:

So I spent 12 hours yesterday dicking around with coal power. I got the 16 coal power plants set up on a pure coal node and built the 8 water plants to keep them going and now I have 1200 mw of power to use.

I am at a bit of a crossroads now though. I'm set up in the northern forest/desert border area where there are good pure nodes for iron, copper, and limestone. I'm not really sure how I want to do things now that I have all of this power.

My main concern is setting up the more advanced production chains efficiently. I'm not sure if I should bring all my resources to one central node and then primarily produce there, or have separate factories creating more advanced stuff which then ships around. I'm just dipping into the stuff that can be made with steel and I haven't done anything beyond the basic pipes and beams. I also need to go back and re-make my basic iron stuff now that I have new extractors and alternative recipes for stuff like screws.

Then there's quartz, caterium, and sulfur I have to contend with... I'm not sure how those will even be involved with my production yet since I haven't gotten much recipes that use them.

Is it feasible to ship this stuff all to one central base that produces everything or should I make several smaller bases that make stuff then ship it to a central location to assemble it? Ugh. So many choices.

I've been wrestling with something similar (I'm still pre-coal but I'm thinking ahead) and I'm leaning towards a general principle of moving things around in their most 'condensed' form. So for example, 2 iron plates are 'worth' 3 iron ore, so you may as well craft iron plates at the node and then move those around since they take less space. On the other hand, 2 copper wire are equivalent to 1 copper ore, so move around copper ore and only make wire where you need it for something else.

Ultimately there would be some central storage of every item for crafting purposes, but central production would only be used for items where (A) it's less dense than its inputs, (B) there hasn't been a remote node dedicated to its production yet, or (C) it needs inputs from multiple nodes that aren't nearby each other in your network.

The downside to this is that you have to look at every item individually, the math is affected by moving items by belt vs. by truck (assuming trucks are affected by stack size), and alternate recipes can affect the equilibrium. On the other hand I'm going to be fiddling and tweaking with something, and it may as well be production logistics!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

It used to be that Nobelisks required them, and that made sense - they're remote-detonated, the beacon is an antenna to pick up the signal. And nobelisks were required for bullets as an explosive charge.

Then the tree got rebalanced, without really thinking about what that means in-world.

I think we should rather use 50 black powder, 50 steel pipes, and 1 computer, to make 100 bullets. I want my bullets to contain a one-hundredth of a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Copper ore is 50 stacks while wire is 500 so that might affect your transportation valve if you’re using trains or trucks.