Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Christ, that looks like an Onion Editorial Cartoon.

Nice of them to censor the "poo poo" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lmao I missed the " Where were you when we were poo poo"

Thats amazing, do they really think that ffp was brought in just to gently caress city over?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Well it sort of was, wasn't it? Not just for that, of course, but the situation at City at the time was undoubtedly a factor.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Well it sort of was, wasn't it?

It was to stop teams doing what Chelsea did again and technically to stop teams overspending and going broke...

Otoh. City knew the rules and still loving broke them so they can gently caress right off.

And they still didn't manage to win a CL

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 5, 2020

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Otoh. City knew the rules and still loving broke them so they can gently caress right off.

Ohh absolutely, but it's no coincidence that the rules came in shortly after the City takeover.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FFP is 100% to stop things like Portsmouth and Leeds crashing and burning and loving creditors over and wrecking football’s financial reputation, I doubt people at UEFA or any other org seriously care about inflated transfer prices etc since some of that money flows up to them in the end

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

FFP is 100% to stop things like Portsmouth and Leeds crashing and burning and loving creditors over and wrecking football’s financial reputation, I doubt people at UEFA or any other org seriously care about inflated transfer prices etc since some of that money flows up to them in the end

That's the official line, but I thought it was assumed that it was backed if not initiated by the same clubs that want automatic entry into the Champions League because they were good once. Yes, it helps stop things like Portsmouth or Leeds, but it also ring fences the "top clubs."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FFP rules overwhelmingly favour the clubs at the top who are already involved in lucrative competitions, and do nothing to stop clubs at the middle-to-bottom from going bust. Half the clubs that have been promoted to the PL in recent seasons have broken the rules and the eventual fines pale in comparison with the rewards of success.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

FFP rules overwhelmingly favour the clubs at the top who are already involved in lucrative competitions, and do nothing to stop clubs at the middle-to-bottom from going bust. Half the clubs that have been promoted to the PL in recent seasons have broken the rules and the eventual fines pale in comparison with the rewards of success.

That's EFL FFP though, isn't it?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
FFP was always a knee jerk reaction to the Chelseas and City's of the world muscling in on the established order of big European clubs, wrapped in a thin veneer of protecting small clubs from going bust. The knee jerkness meant it had loopholes a mile wide and City (and others) exploited them. The where were you when we were poo poo is directly calling out the fakeness of the idea that it's to protect small clubs.

This is a completely separate issue to UEFA caring more about City fans disrespecting the Champions League anthem than City players being racially abused.

The banners are embarrassing but, football fans gonna football fan.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

FFP is 100% to stop things like Portsmouth and Leeds crashing and burning and loving creditors over and wrecking football’s financial reputation

complete nonsense lol

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

jesus WEP posted:

It was always implemented badly and just created to keep the status quo going.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It's funny how PSG and City bitch about getting hosed by FFP yet neither have faced any serious sanctions.

Also neither of them have managed to win a CL yet even after spending billions

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

CyberPingu posted:

and long may it continue

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
e: actual wrong thread

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

It's funny how PSG and City bitch about getting hosed by FFP yet neither have faced any serious sanctions.

it's called working the refs

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

greazeball posted:

it's called working the refs

Maybe they should have bought some refs as opposed to players then...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

PSG complaining about FFP is pretty rich considering who introduced FFP and his relationship with PSG, frankly.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

oh my god lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Despite Liverpool Football Club triumphantly winning the World Cup (?) for the first time in 30 years, it's somehow been almost a month since anything was posted in the WW thread, pretty sure this qualifies.

From the GBS Cursed Images thread:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I can't believe Taff became a Liverpool supporter.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I can't believe Taff became a Liverpool supporter.

The. Worst.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

w00bi posted:

The. Worst.

Hello m8

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

Hi. Just dropping by with the Covid-Liverpool Apocalypse to make sure people were okay.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/newbridge_wolf/status/1282023362466914311?s=20

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The biggest club in the championship lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The biggest club in the championship lmao

Not even that, "The only club of our size to ever play in the Championship". "The last truely big club before us was....us"

Lets ignore Newcastle, Blackburn, Leeds, Fulham, Birmingham even at a stretch someone like Middlesbrough, Sunderland.

Or to put it another way: "Too big to fail"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Not even that, "The only club of our size to ever play in the Championship". "The last truely big club before us was....us"

Lets ignore Newcastle, Blackburn, Leeds, Fulham, Birmingham even at a stretch someone like Middlesbrough, Sunderland.

Or to put it another way: "Too big to fail"

The biggest lol is that Forest are in the Championship right now, a bigger club than Villa

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

The biggest lol is that Forest are in the Championship right now, a bigger club than Villa

Lmao yep.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there have been bigger clubs than villa in league one (or equivalent) since 1998, never mind the championship. man city, wednesday, forest, sunderland

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Villa are a bigger club than all of those bar Forest tbh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

winning league titles in the nineteenth century has zero bearing on how big a club is today

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What about European Cups?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Shrapnig posted:

What about European Cups?

Forest have European Cups, Villa have European Cup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Strawman posted:

Forest have European Cups, Villa have European Cup.

I'm aware of this, it was in reference to forums poster jesus WEP.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

winning league titles in the nineteenth century has zero bearing on how big a club is today

Pray tell us what makes a club big then forums poster jesus WEP

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

Clubs that were in the top division when I was an early teen = big
Clubs that weren't = tinpot

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

Clubs that were in the top division when I was an early teen = big
Clubs that weren't = tinpot

gently caress me that makes Bolton and Charlton big clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Shrapnig posted:

I'm aware of this, it was in reference to forums poster jesus WEP.

I don't think anyone won european cups in the 19th century tbf

CyberPingu posted:

DZSIBOT imo

CyberPingu posted:

gently caress me that makes Bolton and Charlton big clubs.

Entire generations believing that Wigan and Bournemouth are big :negative: