Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only time I've ever had success with the bow is getting the more arrows on Special and a boon that does straight more damage on hit and using it as a melee to backstab. But then you're stuck in melee in a long animation.

It's not great. It needs some tweaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the bow is really strong but I'm only at heat 6. Maybe it gets rough with the 7:00 time limit? idk. I had zeus bolt on special, aphrodite attack, and jolted on a chiron bow and did not have much trouble with anything.

Bow's always been the easiest for me along with shield.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 5, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Judging from my bow wins the trick is to get the double shot hammer or triple shot hammer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The bow is a distance weapon, not a slow weapon. The point is to be constantly damaging your enemies while they're in no position to damage you. The power shot charge-up time -- which is, what, one second? Less than that? -- is virtually negligible if nothing is in range to actually hit you, and even in-range you'd be surprised how many things in the game just...stand there politely waiting for you to plink them down. Try to focus on one foe at a time. Whittle away. If you're able to win with the Rail, which is a less agile version of the bow that puts you in more danger, then you should be able to win with the bow.

For your main attack, go with Artemis for raw damage and crits, but my fav is to use Poseidon to play the spammiest keepaway games, Zeus for more crowd control, or even Ares for guaranteed DPS.

Zagreus aspect is the "weakest," but it's still completely workable and I've barely upgraded it at all. Here's a 10 heat run I just now finished
Zagreus special: Ares, Athena, Poseidon
Zagreus cast: Zeus, Poseidon, Dionysus

I've said it before and will say again, Chiron bow is easy mode. Just target something with your main and spam the special from a safe distance, dodging anything that gets in close. There's literally nothing more to it than that. My 14 heat run
Chiron special: Artemis, Demeter, Dionysus.
Chiron cast: Same as above, something AOEish.

I haven't used Hera Aspect enough recently, just because Chiron is such a surefire win, but I don't think it'd be too different from the default specs.

For hammer upgrades, Chain Shot should be a go-to for more AoE. Explosive Shot, which makes you shoot slower, is a lovely trap, avoid at all costs.
Relentless Volley is a must-have for Chiron aspect, obviously.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder how people build the bow. And I mean real bow builds, not picking the bow and then focusing on casting or weird dash builds. ...

There are lots of ways to make a good bow build, but it takes some thought and a little luck sometimes. This is particularly the case if you're speccing around the special, which is relatively weak until you pump it up on anything except Rama. Anybody who's struggling to come up with good bow builds or who thinks it's a slow weapon might want to check out some vids from Haelien. He does some gimmicky seeded runs for mega-high heat stuff, but there are plenty of regular speed runs too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I had a pair of good builds today

-Rail with autoaim and Ares doom effect on primary + special with slow effect + cast with Dionysius replacement. I would throw the aoe slow, then the three wine bombs on top that would cause dot + light stun, then pewpew the rest. It was the easiest I played through Elysium.

-This one, still "in progress" (this is after killing Hydra).

It's basically throw cast that makes a good amount of damage and at the same time deflect the enemy fire on its path (and potentially curse them), then hit them with the sword special with extra mg + 2x dmg, that disloges the cast stones and you can repeat gain.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 5, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Look I know that the bow is legit powerful; there's a reason why I got my first win with it. What I'm saying is that regardless of its power, it feels bad to use, contrary to every other weapon feeling very dynamic and fitting for the fast pace of Hades combat. Like how the Bone Hydra feels like the worst boss because it drags on with the additional heads and so on.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Personally, I enjoy the bow and getting into the rhythm of dash-powershot-dash-powershot ad-infinitum. Meanwhile, the shield and the spear are my least favorite weapons, while other people like them a lot.

edit: also I love explosive shot and take it all the time. even if it's impossible to get a power-shot with it most of the time, making everything explode with triple shot + explosive shot is hilarious.

siotle fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 6, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of the bow, I just had a Chiron run where I went Zeus/Poseidon, but ended up getting the Zeus boon on my attack and the Poseidon boon on my special, instead of ideally vice versa. Still murdered everything very well, funnily enough, because I lucked into both hammer buffs for the special.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

Look I know that the bow is legit powerful; there's a reason why I got my first win with it. What I'm saying is that regardless of its power, it feels bad to use, contrary to every other weapon feeling very dynamic and fitting for the fast pace of Hades combat. Like how the Bone Hydra feels like the worst boss because it drags on with the additional heads and so on.

Fair enough, though I'd rather fight the hydra than any other boss, with or without extreme measures. In fact I think Lernie and Hades are the only two boss or miniboss fights I genuinely enjoy.

I've defended the bow, but I do like the rapid shot hammer upgrade the best, which should probably tell me something. I wonder how often I actually land the power shot?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Ragnar34 posted:

Fair enough, though I'd rather fight the hydra than any other boss, with or without extreme measures. In fact I think Lernie and Hades are the only two boss or miniboss fights I genuinely enjoy.

I'd really like them to do something about Theseus/Asterius for 1.0 because it's such an enormous slog. I don't know what that something would be, maybe the ability to break Theseus' shield, or just lower their HP across the board. I love all the dialogue for that encounter but the actual battle is so exhausting, with or without Extreme Measures.

That's about the only major item on my wishlist, I think. There are other minor things, like maybe refunds for Titan Blood, or balance changes here and there. I'm curious what others in this thread would like to see added/changed for 1.0.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Glare Seethe posted:

I'd really like them to do something about Theseus/Asterius for 1.0 because it's such an enormous slog. I don't know what that something would be, maybe the ability to break Theseus' shield, or just lower their HP across the board. I love all the dialogue for that encounter but the actual battle is so exhausting, with or without Extreme Measures.

That's about the only major item on my wishlist, I think. There are other minor things, like maybe refunds for Titan Blood, or balance changes here and there. I'm curious what others in this thread would like to see added/changed for 1.0.

I picked up the game on sale 2 days ago, had my first escape today and I agree with this. This boss fight is so incredibly long and tedious compared to all others. I even beat Hades on the first try cause it's a less chaotic and well designed fight compared to these 2 meat bags.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I really like Thesseus as a character, his design, dialogue and VA are really good however the fight is truly a slog, even if it's not that difficult once you get the rythm of their moveset.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's also surprisingly unimaginative for a boss with two separate entities. It would be interesting if they could make the fight equally challenging but accommodating different approaches depending on which one you kill first.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
One other thing I'd like changed is for boons affected by Approval Process to not be displayed at all cause it just feels bad to see the one you wanted get crossed out. Just put two up there instead of three.

Although it's also a little funny, I suppose.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Imo the thing that would benefit the game the most are new bosses for act 2 and act 3 so that you pick from a pool the same way act 1 does (act 1 needs no changes, it's great). We're certainly not getting that tho. On minor things I'd like the Bone Hydra's invulnerability to disappear as soon as you destroy all the other heads rather than taking a few seconds for the barrier to disappear, and I'd like boiling blood's effect in the Hades fight to be a bit less visually dramatic and last a second or two less. Agree also that Theseus/Asterius health pool is just too huge and the shield is super frustrating.

Everything else seems minor and having Olympian Favor as an alternative to Privileged Status makes a lot of weapons usable.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This 5 seconds of alpha strike boon that Uncle Popo keeps offering sounds really useless considering how big some rooms are and the way boss fights work? I guess if your really gunning for every tick of the Hermes keepsake it might help.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Caidin posted:

This 5 seconds of alpha strike boon that Uncle Popo keeps offering sounds really useless considering how big some rooms are and the way boss fights work? I guess if your really gunning for every tick of the Hermes keepsake it might help.

Yep, it's awful. It should be 5 seconds from the moment you first attack, so you can plan out your target prioritization and budget your attacks for that window.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

After playing some more, here's my god tier list for privileged status builds:

1.) Aphrodite
Still the queen. Privileged status baked in with huge damage scaling, her passive is still incredibly strong, her support abilities that make weak stronger are really good (I don't know if the charm bug is fixed and I'm not going to risk testing it out again). Amazing that they nerfed her passive by 40% and she's still this good. Not a fan of her call though.

2.) Demeter
The only god in the same league as Aphrodite for generic attack/special buff. Applies privileged status with a nice damage buff out of the box and chill is imo the second most powerful effect behind weak (I can see the argument that it's even better tbh). If you get Demeter/Aphrodite on something like the Charon bow or the nemesis sword you are just good and you don't even need to go deeper into either god. I really don't like her call or cast.

3.) Athena
Putting Ares and Dionysus here would make more sense because they apply privileged status totally consistently. But I hate them. Athena requires a support talent to turn on privileged status (exposed) but her dash buff is so completely broken that even if you never end up getting exposed you don't feel sad. Excellent call as well.

4.) Zeus
Same sort of situation as Athena but without the broken dash buff. You often won't see both demeter and aphrodite early so you can find yourself putting athena or zeus on special/attack hoping to get more. Zeus is exceptional in how hard he scales with his own abilities, if I had to take a dozen abilities from a single god I'd choose Zeus every time. Ideally you find Zeus naturally in act 1 then force him in act 2 and pick up Jolted. Good call, good cast.

5/6.) Ares/Dionysus
These two gods do turn on privileged status out of the box with doom/hangover. I think these effects suck but if you're one effect away near a boss in Act 2 you really should pick one of these up because it makes a huge difference. There isnt much reason to force either of these when Demeter and Aphrodite are just better. Ares' call is decent, I don't like Dionysus'.

7.) Artemis
Nice to have but never essential. Usually you just want to go deeper into the gods you already have but if you already have privileged status up and running and aren't looking for anything from your main gods she's quite decent to splash into.

8.) Poseidon
Terrible god. His damage numbers look good but you need an extra talent for rupture and rupture is awful compared to jolted and exposed. His support talents like "find a fishing spot" and "get metaprogression" are atrocious. If he applied rupture by default his priority would shoot up but I think he'd still be worse than demeter and aphrodite which shows just how bad he is. You can get stuck with him if he's your first pick in which case chasing rupture isn't the worst thing in the world. But you really don't want to be taking him. On the plus side his call is pretty okay so Poseidon picks don't have to be a total wash.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 6, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I actually think rupture is really good. It ticks 5 times a second, hangover is 2 per second for reference, so the damage is pretty respectable. But I feel like you can't count on getting the boon for rupture and you're going to be pretty weak without it. If rupture just came with all knockback effects without needing a second boon he would easily take first place.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

8.) Poseidon
Terrible god. His damage numbers look good but you need an extra talent for rupture and rupture is awful compared to jolted and exposed. His support talents like "find a fishing spot" and "get metaprogression" are atrocious. If he applied rupture by default his priority would shoot up but I think he'd still be worse than demeter and aphrodite which shows just how bad he is. You can get stuck with him if he's your first pick in which case chasing rupture isn't the worst thing in the world. But you really don't want to be taking him. On the plus side his call is pretty okay so Poseidon picks don't have to be a total wash.

All this is true but I still love his stuff for turning a room into a pin ball machine of death.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fishing bonus % is the bad meme, knockback in Styx is the good meme for sure.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Poseidon knockback + all support boons is to slow weapons what Zeus lightning + all support boons is to fast weapons.

Unfortunately Poseidon's resource boons are pretty disappointing where Zeus's call supplementing boons are great so he's a bigger gamble than most gods.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 6, 2020

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Excalibur might be my new favorite weapon, feels good to have something that hits like a truck with or without any boons.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For the mirror - I go all red but am thinking about Golden Touch and Dark Foresight. Thoughts? I wasn't blown away by Dark Foresight when I used it and golden touch seemed much worse than I thought it would be (gold in act 4 isn't worth a whole lot after the first 500 or so).

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

No Wave posted:

For the mirror - I go all red but am thinking about Golden Touch and Dark Foresight. Thoughts? I wasn't blown away by Dark Foresight when I used it and golden touch seemed much worse than I thought it would be (gold in act 4 isn't worth a whole lot after the first 500 or so).

Fated Persuasion is much better than Fated Authority in my experience. Being able to reroll the boons offered by a specific god or the Well of Charon vendor is going to result in a positive outcome pretty reliably.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

No Wave posted:

rupture is awful compared to jolted and exposed

Rupture whoops rear end on Hades himself, though - blood just pouring out of Pops like you cut an artery in his thigh, whereas Jolted is just dece.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

No Wave posted:

I like using Golden Touch, if only because I feel like it really doesn't take much to surpass Deep Pockets, and I'm also always finding myself at like 0 money by the time I finish buying out the Styx Shop anyways. Dark Foresight I think has the potential to be extremely good; I haven't tested this out yet, but I think a maxed Dark Foresight might work really well with a maxed out God's Pride. If you're getting a lot of Epic boons, it should help mitigate the lack of rares from not running Olympian Favor.

Other good ones: I swear by Ruthless Reflex. Everything can be dodged with just one dash and the damage bonus is excellent. High Confidence would be extremely good if I were good enough at not getting hit (I'm not). Family Favorite I think is something that has a higher average case than Privileged Status, but a lower best case. At any rate it's fun to try out if only because it lets you try out builds that don't work quite as well on Privledged Status. Oh, and Fated Persuasion is pretty good when you really need to fish for certain boons.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Magitek posted:

Fated Persuasion is much better than Fated Authority in my experience. Being able to reroll the boons offered by a specific god or the Well of Charon vendor is going to result in a positive outcome pretty reliably.
Hm... it probably is yeah. I only can afford one rank so I didn't even pay attention to it but I should.

John Lee posted:

Rupture whoops rear end on Hades himself, though - blood just pouring out of Pops like you cut an artery in his thigh, whereas Jolted is just dece.
Hades stands still a lot, I'm not sure yet (also not sure what the interaction between jolted and hades lasers is).

Arzaac posted:

I like using Golden Touch, if only because I feel like it really doesn't take much to surpass Deep Pockets, and I'm also always finding myself at like 0 money by the time I finish buying out the Styx Shop anyways.
I think you could really go for either, neither one is really a game changer. But I do think money earlier is stronger so that you never have to pass up opportunities (the Styx shop is so much worse value than early shops).

Arzaac posted:

Dark Foresight I think has the potential to be extremely good; I haven't tested this out yet, but I think a maxed Dark Foresight might work really well with a maxed out God's Pride. If you're getting a lot of Epic boons, it should help mitigate the lack of rares from not running Olympian Favor.
Yeah it's hard to tell so far. I'll keep using it.

Arzaac posted:

Other good ones: I swear by Ruthless Reflex. Everything can be dodged with just one dash and the damage bonus is excellent.
RReflex I conceptually hate but turning down damage in this game is probably always irresponsible. I already was getting mad when I didn't get hermes dashes so I don't like exaggerating the importance of it but you're right it's probably too good to pass up (I'm still at heat levels where Hades is the hardest part of the run and I imagine RReflex can make the fight much faster if you can handle him).

Arzaac posted:

High Confidence would be extremely good if I were good enough at not getting hit (I'm not).
I find the health buff so impactful. I'm sure there are lots of runs where it wouldn't matter but taking on the furies with 50 health is not something I'm interested in. This will probably become a bigger factor once I start using 7:00 boons.

Arzaac posted:

Family Favorite I think is something that has a higher average case than Privileged Status, but a lower best case. At any rate it's fun to try out if only because it lets you try out builds that don't work quite as well on Privledged Status.
I've been avoiding weapons where I can't get P. Status for free (ie I do not play spear or rail much) but I'm going to have to suck it up at some point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The bow is a distance weapon, not a slow weapon. The point is to be constantly damaging your enemies while they're in no position to damage you. The power shot charge-up time -- which is, what, one second? Less than that? -- is virtually negligible if nothing is in range to actually hit you, and even in-range you'd be surprised how many things in the game just...stand there politely waiting for you to plink them down. Try to focus on one foe at a time. Whittle away. If you're able to win with the Rail, which is a less agile version of the bow that puts you in more danger, then you should be able to win with the bow.

It's also possible to miss, which is just annoying, but also just the fact that your bow aiming and movement now are in conflict makes the weapon unfun to choose. It's also pretty annoying when you get an enemy down to almost-no health and still gotta fire off another arrow to wrap it up.

However, I've also never given a shot with the "stand back from safety snipe" strategy. Makes sense, sounds easy, and if it beats me some heat levels, it's worth a shot (lol).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seconding the damage/dodge on evade trait, the window for triggering the buff is fairly generous, teaches you to be more disciplined with your dashes, and when you get good you can even intentionally dash through attacks/projectiles for the buff.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I did a Rama bow aspect run the other day, wound up with duel and exploding shot layered into it with the Artemis boon on the primary attack. It took like 4 full seconds to charge but drat if it couldn't blow out huge drat numbers on even a half draw.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm finishing in upgrading the 'side B' of the night mirror, and I was going to ask what are good combos in there, what people like in each of the two options.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm finishing in upgrading the 'side B' of the night mirror, and I was going to ask what are good combos in there, what people like in each of the two options.

Slow is insanely good so I always get that on my casts.

I take either more legendary and duos or more good stuff, never both because having all grey boons is painful to me.

Stacking alpha strike on rail is nice.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 6, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

More purples is really insanely strong. Very hard to turn that one off.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I finally started playing this game and have had a huge blast. It's basically the Supergiant game I didn't know I wanted (especially since Pyre was such a letdown for me). I even got my first clear today with the shield, with a lot of Demeter on my Special with the dash to special attack upgrade! Looking forward to doing even more difficult runs.

Question for content: What are some tips for fighting the two heroes with the melee weapons? I can beat them with the shield predictably (and nearly did with the bow if I didn't screw up that one time), but it is basically running around throwing my shield like Captain America. I am not looking forward to doing them with the sword or fists since I will actually sort of need to figure out good attack windows.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The bull's patterns will become second nature after a few tries (especially if you run into him as a miniboss). Theseus has a sound queue for his spear so you'll eventually just be able to whale on the bull whenever he does a jump slash then dash behind a pillar when Theseus is about to let go of his spear.

The bull's main trick is he will often slash you quickly if you stand next to him attacking for too long so you can only do a little at a time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Once the Minotaur is down the easy way to fight Theseus, even with a melee weapon, is to stay out of melee until he does his throw, dodge (or deflect if you have any Athena boon,) then dash in and punch him in the back as he turns around and walks away from you. Repeat.

Dodging his melee is much more difficult but on the other hand could be considered practice for the final boss's most dangerous attack since they're pretty similar.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 7, 2020

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm starting to get a little cranky at how Dark Thirst keeps picking the Railgun; I wanna do higher heat runs with the Spear and Fists, both of which I've only gotten three runs combined with.

I'm wondering if I can ignore it but I've been using Dark Regeneration lately because, combined with Dark Thirst, it's been awesome to pick up Darkness chambers and troves for healing. With it, I've been consistently getting through each floor with full HP minus Tartarus, which is easy enough that I don't care.

I just got a 10-win streak so maybe it's time to mix things up anyway.

Sindai posted:

Dodging his melee is much more difficult but on the other hand could be considered practice for the final boss's most dangerous attack since they're pretty similar.

Getting the pattern down for the spin with Ruthless Dodge is great practice, and makes Theseus go down like a rock.

It is interesting how Heroes share major attacks with the Hades fight. Asterius' slashes are also from Hades' phase 2. Maybe that's why I find Heroes boring to fight now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Poseidon's not good in general but I started with a Poseidon boon and got two zeuses in act 1 which meant I got to go all in on the most broken combo in the game. If you ever get the opportunity, do it!!!!