Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also Shalquoir sells the ring that lets you pick a god to limit whose summon signs you see, if you have any problems finding each other. Though DS2's online is quiet enough you'll probably be all right, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is the Iron passage worth it? I’m getting mobbed and slammed and if I try to go Brave Sir Robin to the boss I get a fatroll curse and murdered.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Depends on what you mean by worth it. I did it out of a sense of completing all areas/bosses in the game, but I didn't enjoy despawning all the enemies leading up to the boss.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Is the Iron passage worth it? I’m getting mobbed and slammed and if I try to go Brave Sir Robin to the boss I get a fatroll curse and murdered.

Short answer: not really, no.

Slightly longer answer: it's possible to haul rear end through the passage to the boss room even with the weight curse in play, but the boss is nothing to write home about and killing it just gets you a joke item and a variant of a basegame sword. The passage is its own little cul de sac that doesn't lead anywhere else, so it's fine to just skip the place if you're not having fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Imo none of the co-op areas in the DLC are fun enough or have good enough rewards to be worth doing

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The memory of the old iron king is legitimately worth it for the boss fight, imo, even though the actual area itself is bad. Can't really argue with you on the others though

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If your on pc I had good luck finding summons via the dark souls 2 discord to help me with all those dlc passages

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

axolotl farmer posted:

Really depends on how much you value getting your face wet.

I guess you could also get the magic Smelter Sword, I dunno. The co-op areas are really weird and only worth it for the strange items at the end, and even then just barely.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The sword you get from the two cats is fantastic.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The gimmick for getting to the two cats is fun.

Once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

The memory of the old iron king is legitimately worth it for the boss fight, imo, even though the actual area itself is bad. Can't really argue with you on the others though

I always forget that one counts as one of those. Yes it's the exception.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

I always forget that one counts as one of those. Yes it's the exception.

Between the boss being fun enough to be its own reward and the existence of the Iron Passage as another co-op area, the Memory is definitely a strange exception to the rule.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Lud and Zallen as a fight is really fun, especially if you have a human or two to coordinate with, but the Frigid Outskirts are a miserable hike.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

i am tim! posted:

To get into co-op quickly, you’ll need to go to the Forest of the Giants. You’ll get your usual white soap stone from Pate after you go through the area behind the gate he warns you about. There’s also a Small White Soapstone you can get behind a locked door above the Cardinal Tower bonfire, and you can break the door down!

The large stone is the usual business that’ll last until the boss, while the small last until a number of enemies are defeated/time passes/boss beaten.

Cool, made it to the small soapstone. Not to far from Pate now, so I should be good.

Good grief it's hard getting in the groove for DS2. In DS1 the beginning is the best part of the game. DS2 is such a slog to get past the ADP tax. And I should not have picked Sorcerer as my starting class. I've never done a pure magic build, but all I can wield is a gotdam dagger and I'll need 7 STR 12 DEX just to use a shortbow. My man starts with 3-6. Yikes. At least souls arrows are pretty strong starting out and I can get a second stack from Melania's shop. Right now I'm aiming for a poison rapier secondary weapon. What some other good weapons for an INT build as an alternative to spells?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The "Mace" and "Rapier" :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

FoFG has a Fire Longsword early on. Later the Moonlight Greatsword is awesome.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Look Sir Droids posted:

What some other good weapons for an INT build as an alternative to spells?

The Dragonrider's halberd and twinblades are a nice int-scaling ones. Blue Flames are excellent swords but you won't get them until the back portion of the main story. Watcher's Great Sword is great but in the same boat as the Blue Flame.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

All set up for co-op now. Beat Pursuer on the one shot platform with a summon. Got invaded twice in Heides (one was a hacker, cool), but managed to get my ring of binding. So I'm all set up.

Not sure I like the rapier. The thrusts are good, but I get a lot of whiffs through the legs on larger enemies. That's gonna be bad for Sentinels, but I should be fully decked out with spells by them. IIRC most everything in the base game melts to magic. I will uh, re-spec for the DLC.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Look Sir Droids posted:

All set up for co-op now. Beat Pursuer on the one shot platform with a summon. Got invaded twice in Heides (one was a hacker, cool), but managed to get my ring of binding. So I'm all set up.

Not sure I like the rapier. The thrusts are good, but I get a lot of whiffs through the legs on larger enemies. That's gonna be bad for Sentinels, but I should be fully decked out with spells by them. IIRC most everything in the base game melts to magic. I will uh, re-spec for the DLC.

The rapier has really high DPS but a so-so moveset. Once you upgrade it enough the moveset matters less because you can just R1 spam through almost anything. Don’t forget to use the stone ring so your attacks (and spells) stagger enemies more.

For sentinels you can cheese a lot of the fight as a sorcerer, once the first guy is dead you can stay up on the starting platform and rain spells down on the other two while they slowly amble over to you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You can still be effective in the DLC without respeccing. Direct spell damage gets hit by across-the-board boss resistances but weapons and buffs are unaffected. If you want to fight the Fume Knight with the MLGS - nearly all magic damage - the game won't fight you.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Look Sir Droids posted:

One very important downside of weapons like the rapier and mace, 2 of the best weapons in the game, is that they're boring as poo poo. If you don't like the moveset, then pick a fancier weapon with a more varied moveset because every single weapon in the game is viable all the way until the endgame, you can even make the garbage gimmick weapons like the ladle and the broken straight sword work well if you use them right.

The biggest strength of ds2 in my opinion is the massive variety of viable options, so don't feel chained down to any specific weapon or playstyle just because it's effective, and don't feel like you need to change up your playstyle to tackle something if you're still enjoying it. A good magic build can definitely take on the dlc pretty handily, even though resistances are very common.

A good way to augment a magic build is a melee focus if you do want to change it up. A quick low stat requirement upgraded weapon that you can buff up with magic or a specifically magic focused weapon goes a long way for increasing your sustainability in the long stretches between bonfires in the dlc.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Finally got around to getting plat on this and god I love this game but ng+2 was an absolute slog. I thought ng+ was a pretty fun challenge, fairly smooth but a definite spike in difficulty that felt fun and killed me a few times. Ivory King Ultra Greatsword served me well on the bosses.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Cross posting with an edit from the Remastered thread because I didn’t realise there was still a DS2 thread:

Playing SotFS for the first time! I got excited because I thought I’d defeated my first human invader. I realised he was an NPC when another guy popped up later in a silly hat and underpants with an explicit name, effortlessly dodged all my spells and backstabbed me from fifteen feet away while facing the opposite direction. It was a real ‘ahh, there we go’ moment

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SotFS has some absolutely wild NPC invaders. It's great.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Wish I was as cool as Bashful Ray is.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ha ha, I hosed Armorer Dennis UP (the Forest invasion). Also gank squaded his rear end and got a backstab on him. Almost was able to kick him down the hole.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Oppression posted:

Wish I was as cool as Bashful Ray is.

He really is the best! Personally, I love Sellsword Luet as my favourite summon since his name tells a funny story.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Playing through the ascension mod on this further... it's really fun but hard.

Getting kitted up at the beginning was hard and easy at the same time, it's weird. So you have to start at the beginning with beginning gear, but you can jump 5x as high and 5x as far so you can just hop over a lot of dumb poo poo at the beginning and grab what you want. Like you can jump onto the cat store then jump into the building that you usually need to get the key for another flask shard to start with. Every consumable drop, except for things like branches, all drop at 5x at a time so you can pick up like 45 effigies at least from the skeletons in there if you manage to live through it. The gear has all been retooled to add additional resistances or stat boosts, so if you can respec your gear and live through some bosses easier. All the vendors sell boss/invader gear from the start, and no limits on how many spells you can buy, so you can get going right away on some builds if you want

Some bosses have 2 copies of the boss with better stats, 3 copies if you dare to bring a NPC with on some bosses. 2 pursuers in the forest are so hard, took forever even with parries. The ones the creator has 'fixed' aren't just 2x the boss. Like The Rotten's arena changed to contain mostly green statues shooting poison at you the whole time from all angles, and is a huge pain in the rear end that you kind of need to bait the big guy into destroying for you. The funny thing is how hard some of the easy bosses from SOTFS are in the mod. Mytha in Earthen Peak took me like 20 tries and it was just a 2x boss. Just finished the Old Iron King after maybe 25 tries, the arena was reduced in size and he now has a flame shield to limit even more movement.

Right now stuck on trying to even enter Pharros. There are 4 Mastadon guys, a rat, and a double avelyn invader in the first room, and there are so many rats in the next room that running away from them isn't viable either.

Here's the Mytha fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBVhmXwF6Uo&t=899s

Oppression fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 18, 2020

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So it just doubles boss entities for the most part?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

tbh stuff like that is why I haven't tried most of the Dark Souls mods out there, even though I'd love to play through a remixed DS2. I'm not that interested in "but what if it was numerically harder".

My dream DS2 mod is one that revamps the magic system to work like it does in DS3, where you have to find sets of spells in the world and bring them back to an NPC to have them teach the spells to you.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The one Scholar mod that everyone was talking about earlier in the year, Augur of Darkness, is so hilariously bad. I made a post about it a few pages ago, but I also made a video to show some of these changes.

Play it for a laugh but don't expect anything remotely sanely balanced.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

Bogart posted:

So it just doubles boss entities for the most part?

It's not just a boss tweak mod. I'm finding it similar to the Scholar update with how it has moved where items are found, or added enemies from later areas to earlier areas. That's making it a blast to play through by itself. All items come pre-enchanted with a elemental resin type applied already (wish I could mute the lightning one), and you can still infuse them. You don't need a branch to make it through to the shaded woods, and a lot of starting gear has the cat ring enchant on it so it just opens up the game right away. That plus the insane jumping ability makes some levels easier than you think. Like Iron keep wasn't that bad when I could just jump over to the boss gate without having to drop any bridge.

It's a work in progress so the bosses that haven't been "fixed" yet are 2x. Even the ones that are just doubled have their stats and elemental weaknesses tweaked. I'm often having to swap around weapons because some types do zero damage to certain bosses. Like the Last Giant is completely immune to fire damage. So it's a lot more of a RPG than the base game.

Trying to think of the ones that were fixed... The dragon rider and slayer fights are updated with new adds in the room, and both are a lot more aggressive. Executioner's chariot was a seriously hard fight, tons more mages/skeletons and the chariot didn't kill them on each pass. Then once you pulled the lever, the horse was super hard and filled the arena with black clouds very quickly. Mentioned the old Iron king changes already. Last sinner was super hard due to the stat tweaks, but I think the 2 pyromancers in the arena with him are in NG+ so it's not too different.

Some areas are harder because they added more archers or w/e, some areas are harder because you don't know that a Pursuer will spawn after you pull a lever that never spawned a pursuer before.

Here's the updated The Rotten fight with all the poison (sorry this guy is pretty annoying, but he's running the latest version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by1UaEWdoY0&t=285s

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are there any well-regarded mods for dark souls games, outside of item randomizers and such? I could go for a mod that changes things up in SOTFS-like fashion, but most of these seem designed around giving streamers something to put their rage face thumbnails on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Appoda posted:

Are there any well-regarded mods for dark souls games, outside of item randomizers and such? I could go for a mod that changes things up in SOTFS-like fashion, but most of these seem designed around giving streamers something to put their rage face thumbnails on.
I've tried Daughters of Ash, Augur of Darkness and Cinders for 1, 2 and 3 respectively and enjoyed all of them. Yes, there's some unfair, unbalanced and rage-inducing moments in each of them, but I wouldn't call any of them "made for rage" overall. For example, I don't quite get what DoubleNegative's issues are with the clips he showed off. He obviously had no issues dealing with the mid-game enemy in Things Betwixt (and I just ran past it), and we both got swarmed and killed in the passage to Heide, but I thought it was great that this otherwise completely boring and meaningless corridor now has some bite to it.

It's really about what you expect. The base games had plenty of gotcha moments and traps, but by now you know them. If the mod introduces new ones, maybe ones that go beyond "there's an enemy hiding behind this corner also", do you feel annoyed at being tricked, or commend the modder's cleverness? Does it change if the new trap is really hard to deal with even if you know it's coming, or do you figure out a way to out-shoddy the shoddiness and cheese it in a way that you would never consider using in the base game, and now enjoy your own cleverness?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTntdQQfuG0

Weedle
May 31, 2006

decided to get started on this after 2.5 playthroughs of dark souls remastered (good game imo). i got sotfs in some bundle like three years ago and played about 45 minutes before shelving it, but now that it's not my first souls game and i kind of know what to expect i'm more into it

still a pretty rough start though. once i realized what was going on with the hollowing hp loss i decided that my first order of business would be to stop giving a poo poo about that so i put a bunch of points into vigor and got the ring of binding from the tower of flame. turns out i should probably have done the forest of fallen giants first (poked my head in, saw the ogre and turned right the gently caress around) because getting that ring was harder than it looked. once i figured out the best way to pull the giants i could get to the chest pretty easily but trying to kill that white knight guarding it was really tough. then of course after i got the ring i decided to celebrate by beating the dragonrider. gee thanks!!! at least between the ring of binding, the regen ring and the evil eye ring i don't have to worry so much about healing

anyway judging from the tables of contents on walkthroughs and such i seem to be about a third of the way through the game and my current options are shaded woods, harvest valley, and grave of saints. i ran through some fog woods and picked up a couple of items that i randomly happened across but i didn't stay in there long enough to see what happens if you stick around. harvest valley seems mad nasty but i can't wait to explore the big windmill tower thing

i made a knight and she uses a bastard sword and shield + utility bow. people say shields aren't as good in this one but they're still a crucial part of my playstyle, and now that i finally found one with 100% physical block i can really get in the poo poo. i've never learned to parry but the rhythm of block-counterattack-roll-block is intoxicating. hard to name a series with better medieval melee combat

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shields are totally fine in DS2. From where you currently are my advice would be to continue on the Harvest Valley path at least for a while because there are a lot of weapon upgrade materials and stuff in that area - not really a spoiler but just in case you don't want to hear reasons.

Being hollow is fine and the max HP loss is capped. If your max HP is getting super low just use a human effigy and turn human again. There are some areas where you'll get invaded by NPCs if you're human and some of those fights are cool, or they have good drops and so on. Don't forget you can also use lifegems if you are healing between bonfires and have a minute to breathe, they heal slowly but if you can just stand somewhere safe for 30 seconds it is a way to save your Estus for more immediate healing needs midfight

One of my favorite things about DS2 are the different paths, if you get stuck on something you can flip to another path and come back later

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Finally beat Blue Smelter Demon. Got help from a human phantom wielding dual Dragons teeth :getin:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

If you lose more than 15% of your health bar, just pop an effigy. They're everywhere and if you don't use them then you're gonna end the game with like 60 of the things.

Alternatively, plop down a small white soapstone. Population isn't what it used to be, but clear out some monsters in someone else's world and you'll get it all - humanity, hp/estus refresh, weapons repaired, spells recharged, you name it.

You get a million different healing items too. Not just lifegems, but spell refreshers also tend to have healing effects, so they're useful even if you don't use spells. There's no magical moment where hoarding all that stuff pays off, so use it when you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Anyone have a good guide or checklist for SotFS to help get all the achievements? I beat it guideless a month ago and started a new game with the intent to use a guide to see what I missed, but quickly stopped due to burnout.

I’m on DS3 now and nearing the end, so I’d like to go back to SotFS and complete it. 100%’ing DS1 was some of the most fun I’ve had in a game.

Edit: NPC quests too, if possible. I never summon NPCs on my first DS run-through so I’m sure I missed a lot.

Dremcon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 28, 2020