Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

jokes posted:

I guess this is the dumb part to me. I’ve dealt with so many businesses whose first moves are to spend absurd amounts of money, time, effort, and goodwill to gently caress over employees or try to cash in on name recognition instead of just doing a slightly different thing. The safety is in the redundancy— it sucks making a video game or a product over a 5 year period. But if you did it, convert it into a “new” game a year later by changing assets and some gameplay. Or make the factory produce an actually in-demand product instead of just shuttering operations you fucks.

Epic made a pretty poo poo game, Fortnite, about defending burger kings or something and used about 90% of the game to steal the Battle Royale concept and most of the money. They just used the assets, the engine, and basically everything and peppered in some genre-specific things and they made trillions of dollars about it. Nobody knew battle royale was gonna be the absolute financial behemoth of a market that it was, but pivoting into it can really reverse fortune.

And the ARPG genre is sitting there untapped. Wolcen was released in a big-riddled, progress-wiping, broken pile of on-fire garbage with very little fanfare and still got like millions and millions of sales because people wanted to play a nicer, prettier version of PoE which is still very very janky and inaccessible for idiots. The closest analogue to ARPG gameplay is in MOBAs, why would Riot make a lovely shooter that costs billions? I’ve never even played LoL and think Riot is a piece of poo poo company but the fact that their hand isn’t in my pocket just disappoints me, I’m an easy sell!

In the case of Riot specifically, they kinda did. Like, after years and years and years of only making the one game, they've made two new games, one a ... whatever you call it, Auto Chess game, using LoL assets, and the other is a Hearthstone game, but with lots of new assets. The thing is, this came after they would do periodic new game modes in LoL, that tried out various different things. One of them was an ARPG version of the game, they did some sick videos for it, and it had a pretty awesome Guardians of the Galaxy reminiscent re-theme of the characters. That they didn't then do more with it, or even leave it in the game, despite the obvious effort that had gone into it, makes me think that it was them testing the waters for exactly that, and that for whatever reason it didn't take off. The fact that they've made new games and none of them are the ARPG despite them almost making the ARPG suggests that it's not the low hanging fruit we both think it should be.

Speaking of low hanging fruit that makes billions, I brought it up years ago, but, why isn't there a Harry Potter MMORPG? It designs itself, and makes billions day one? It wouldn't even have to be good, AT ALL. Like Olivander's alone would make a million, day one, with each wand costing 50 pence / cents each. (Although obviously you have to convert mugglebux into Enchanted Ingots to spend in game to obfuscate how much things are worth on a psychological level). Maybe it's not even an MMO, maybe it's just literally ANY kind of game (gently caress it, broomstick racing game? Bomberman clone replacing bombs with 'magic', Tetris but you're dropping potion ingredients?) that has microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like 'Why not a Pokemon MMO?' The answer is MMOs have kinda had their day and everyone knows the downsides- they're expensive as poo poo to make and run, you have to manage and retain a playerbase of whining unpleasable weirdos, all for what generally amounts to a lovely ARPG.

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad for a mobile Harry Potter themed Candy Crush clone, though who knows if that's official.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hell, the Star Wars movies make billions and the games typically sell like crazy, and the goddamn Star Wars MMO hit the dizzying heights of “did not go out of business”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hell, the Star Wars movies make billions and the games typically sell like crazy, and the goddamn Star Wars MMO hit the dizzying heights of “did not go out of business”.

One of them, anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the target for "would casually give money to an MMO" is completely dwarfed by "would spend 10 earth dollars gambling I can get a 2020 spring festival swimsuit Snape, gently caress it 10 more wont kill me"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of them, anyway.

The fact I forgot Star Wars Galaxies existed says a lot about the level of success you can get from making an MMO out of an existing IP.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The fact I forgot Star Wars Galaxies existed says a lot about the level of success you can get from making an MMO out of an existing IP.

My time playing SWG was I started it up and got a free speeder bike and picked up my first quest to go off into the distance and do something there, so I got on my free speeder and hit autorun facing the target, saw it would take like 4 minutes to get there so I started watching TV, then immediately uninstalled because I realized I could just be watching TV instead of babysitting a progress bar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A fun example of how they chased off basically their entire playerbase hoping to attract a new one that never materialised

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

well why not posted:

One potential issue is that ARPGs current design kind of requires a decent control scheme. ie: not a phone. Fortnite and PubG are available on phones, while something like, say, Diablo would require a new approach. Immortal is probably a reaction to that.

not that i've tried to play diablo with a touch interface but without thinking about it too hard, diablo is essentially pressing the left mouse button on enemies a trillion times interspersed with right clicks. i would think just hotbar plus touching screen a billion times would work.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best star wars videogame is Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

Actually maybe its awful, I've not sat and played it since I was 16 and even then I think I just turned on cheats and killed everyone with a lightsaber

so yeah, best Stars Wars game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

not that i've tried to play diablo with a touch interface but without thinking about it too hard, diablo is essentially pressing the left mouse button on enemies a trillion times interspersed with right clicks. i would think just hotbar plus touching screen a billion times would work.

diablo games are basically an advanced form of cookie clicker. it should be very easy to translate it to phones

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rutibex posted:

diablo games are basically an advanced form of cookie clicker. it should be very easy to translate it to phones

....? Is this irony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50KBNQe5hTM

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

There is literally a phone port of titan quest that's been out for years and plays just fine. I dont know where that guy got the idea that diablo just couldn't work on a phone interface.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

DebonaireD posted:

Gameplay is a nonsense word that only highlights how people who talk about games have no critical theory from which to grow their ideas. Itd be like if a critic said a movie had good lookfeel or a book had readplease. Like when someone says the shooting is "floaty" or the gameplay loops are "tight". It means nada.
Also ludonarrative dissonance is not a real thing and no one cares that Nathan drake shoots a thousand mooks.

Wow! A real stupid person.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wow! A real stupid person.

Turn on ur console

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gameplay is an imprecise term though, that's true at least, it's really broad but i don't think it's useless

i think the meaning of "floaty" is pretty clear: it means that you have a lot of "air time" during which you either have little player input or the input you have doesn't conform to the task you have to do. there was an explanation in here some time ago that showed that mario has fewer frames on the way down compared to going up, so that falling is faster and straighter than jumping. this article kind of explains it: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/RD_SMW_3.html . the effect of this is basically analogous to lowering the DPI of your mouse and being able to more precisely shoot something while sacrificing the speed at which you point your gun at something else: mario has less x-axis freedom on the way down so that you can fine tune where you land more easily, while the upward part of the jump is what you use to "get into position"

bad platformers don't do this and have boob-shaped jump arcs where going up and going down are the same thing, and feel floaty and weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9SO6WOnYY this 90's mario clone for dos kind of lets you see this effect, it copies the basic concept of mario but not the physics, going down takes about as long as going up, game sucks as a result

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 6, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

gameplay is an imprecise term though, that's true at least, it's really broad but i don't think it's useless

Yeah. If you like Morrowind, depending on your definition of gameplay, Morrowind either has great gameplay or really bad gameplay.

Shibawanko posted:

i think the meaning of "floaty" is pretty clear: it means that you have a lot of "air time" during which you either have little player input or the input you have doesn't conform to the task you have to do.

Oh I thought it might be like the difference between jumping in Banjo-Kazooie vs. Super Mario 64. Jumping in Banjo-Kazooie is 'floaty', and you can easily adjust your position in mid-air to hit the platform, while jumping in Super Mario 64 isn't and you have to plan the jumps a little better.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the most fun part of morrowind's gameplay is just finding things. you don't get a marker, the quest will just say "ask around in vivec for this one guy" and you get clues, or "go to these ruins with the weird name and walk west until you see a rock shaped like a cock and balls, then turn south", it has a detective, navigational sort of element that makes it a lot more fun even if the combat is lame

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Except the "dialogue" system in the game is beyond awful and the directions you get are inaccurate most of the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, there's a reason games developed things like icons and minimaps, because without them they got incredibly obtuse and tedious, and I imagine the graphical style didn't lend itself to easily identified landmarks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, there's a reason games developed things like icons and minimaps, because without them they got incredibly obtuse and tedious, and I imagine the graphical style didn't lend itself to easily identified landmarks.

i think it usually worked pretty well, it doesn't always give you completely accurate instructions but it does point you in the general direction, i thought it was satisfying to find a quest objective. in general the bigger the reward is, the less accurate the instructions become, like the final imperial cult quests or finding the mudcrab merchant. there's also bits in the game that you can just sort of stumble across by accident which i like

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i'll be damned if i'm going outside to an unfamiliar place without a GPS. minimaps rule

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want to have a map but i dont want a pinpoint-accurate quest pointer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
A lot of games these days allow you to turn that stuff off if you wish

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fridge corn posted:

A lot of games these days allow you to turn that stuff off if you wish

except they don't ever give you real directions or hints other than "follow the big glowing quest marker" so when you turn it off you're often just stuck

turning off parts of the UI does not magically fix bad design

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't think quest markers break immersion that much. Find Object is only a 2nd level spell in D&D and that predates all these computer RPGs

divination spells get things going!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

food court bailiff posted:

except they don't ever give you real directions or hints other than "follow the big glowing quest marker" so when you turn it off you're often just stuck

turning off parts of the UI does not magically fix bad design

Lol I never thought about that cuz I never turn that stuff off but lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hitman (2016) was the first game that really made me want to switch off all the HUD elements and really focus on the world and the detail of the maps

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rutibex posted:

i don't think quest markers break immersion that much. Find Object is only a 2nd level spell in D&D and that predates all these computer RPGs

They don't break immersion so much as sacrifice one potential way to make a small quest more interesting in order to make it a lot less frustrating.

Following lovely directions from NPCs in Morrowind still sticks with me as genuinely fun and deeply expanding how much I was engaging with the always boring activity of walking to the quest.

It's not wrong to have quest markers, but it does cost you something subtle

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rutibex posted:

you don't get second level spells until, at the earliest, level 3 - and if you used up one of your two level 2 spell slots on loving find object your party would rightfully kick you out of the group

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

theres a particular quest in morrowind that starts in a grazelands ashlander camp where some old tart has a prophecy so she tells you to walk west until you come to a rock shaped like fingers and find a white guar, which you're told to follow. as usual the directions aren't super precise but if you just walk west and look around a bit you will find the rock and the guar and you follow it, it leads you to a dead body under a big tree which is supposed to be the corpse of some missionary who died long ago but appeared again to you, or something like that. it's just a simple series of event triggers and dialogues but i liked that quest, it really does feel a bit like youre watching a weird religious miracle come true

oblivion didnt have things like that but at least it did keep some of the random weird quests and world details so that if you broke into a random house there'd be a 50% chance that the owner had been sucked into a haunted painting or whatever

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

ngl i hadn't thought about it before but touch screen is basically the ultimate tool for diablo alikes. however, diablo immobage is still trash

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

ngl i hadn't thought about it before but touch screen is basically the ultimate tool for diablo alikes. however, diablo immobage is still trash

the best part of diablo is the cool random loot, which means its impossible for a mobile developer to make a good diablo. it's ideologically impossible for their brain

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
People who get hyped up over a game when all that's been shown is cgi trailers give me the grumpy dumpies. Especially when it's over the course of a few years.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

DebonaireD posted:

Gameplay is a nonsense word that only highlights how people who talk about games have no critical theory from which to grow their ideas. Itd be like if a critic said a movie had good lookfeel or a book had readplease. Like when someone says the shooting is "floaty" or the gameplay loops are "tight". It means nada.
Also ludonarrative dissonance is not a real thing and no one cares that Nathan drake shoots a thousand mooks.

I agree with this.

But I'm also very stupid so, ymmv

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChazTurbo posted:

People who get hyped up over a game when all that's been shown is cgi trailers give me the grumpy dumpies. Especially when it's over the course of a few years.

the best games just come out of nowhere. if a game needs a year long hype campaign its rubbish

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ikanreed posted:

It's not wrong to have quest markers, but it does cost you something subtle

The most obvious thing they take away is the need to explore. I can't even help myself, if there is a quest marker on the map, I just line myself up with it and press forward until I get there. Whoever made the map made paths and rivers or whatever but they better hope they put all the good stuff along a straight line. Hell, I think most of us have brute-forced our way over a mountain in a game because the marker told us it was in our way.

RDR2 did it well - if you turned off the markers people would give you actual directions with landmarks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Manager Hoyden posted:

The most obvious thing they take away is the need to explore. I can't even help myself, if there is a quest marker on the map, I just line myself up with it and press forward until I get there. Whoever made the map made paths and rivers or whatever but they better hope they put all the good stuff along a straight line. Hell, I think most of us have brute-forced our way over a mountain in a game because the marker told us it was in our way.

RDR2 did it well - if you turned off the markers people would give you actual directions with landmarks.

Eh, give me a blank map to fill in and I'll explore every last corner. Of course I'm a broke brain 100%er so....

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Manager Hoyden posted:

They made a little bit of effort, but I wouldn't say they "did it well". Sometimes a mission will give you an objective, like "hide" and if you have map markers turned off you don't realize they don't actually mean "hide" they mean "hide in this specific hiding place that we are highlighting on your minimap".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I gave up on Conan Exiles on ps4 once I found out the dong slider was disabled on consoles. 0/10 would not recommend.
.01 hours playtime.