Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If I correctly understand the legal mechanisms being used for the mask thing here in OR, it's an OSHA requirement upon the businesses, requiring employees to specifically approach people who aren't wearing masks and hassle them about it.

In reality, this is how you get your 19 year old stockers and cashiers screamed at by angry hicks, so everyplace I've actually been into is just posting the signs and NOT having their employees get involved. Which is reasonable, dumping all that on them is actual bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Shoulda tied the various "phases" to mask rates.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-02-20-intl/h_d9bab911fa1e213337defa5b2a787233

some folks gonna lose their poo poo.... lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Inslee is going to approach this one month at a time because he wants this free ride to end as badly as the rest of the other cold, calculating "balance the budget" dems.

Thankfully, our state's high unemployment rate kicked in a law that allows extended benefits for an extra 20 weeks to the unemployed. I should qualify for that soon, but they aren't saying if that includes the extra 600 per week we've been getting from the PEUC.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Javid posted:

If I correctly understand the legal mechanisms being used for the mask thing here in OR, it's an OSHA requirement upon the businesses, requiring employees to specifically approach people who aren't wearing masks and hassle them about it.

In reality, this is how you get your 19 year old stockers and cashiers screamed at by angry hicks, so everyplace I've actually been into is just posting the signs and NOT having their employees get involved. Which is reasonable, dumping all that on them is actual bullshit.

They should just call the cops on anyone not wearing a mask, and the cops should come to arrest them. Of course, that would require that cops not be garbage, but here we are.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sure, if you actually believe

A) stores will just dutifully call the cops on entire families with children who are grocery shopping
B) the cops will show up to a "person without mask" call and arrest entire families with children who are grocery shopping
C) they won't find reasons to murder people while in the process

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

I don't think it's going to be possible to achieve that level of lockdown :shrug:

New York did it less than 6 weeks ago you loving doomer

Edit: Close all in-person office work. Keep schools closed. CLOSE GYMS AND RESTAURANT DINING ROOMS AND PATIOS FOR gently caress'S SAKE. We had an Rt under 1 in King until they started walking these extremely basic precautions back.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 6, 2020

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Especially now that they're all snippy because people are getting mad at them over that whole "regularly murdering people in cold blood" thing

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Oldest Man posted:

New York did it less than 6 weeks ago you loving doomer

Edit: Close all in-person office work. Keep schools closed. CLOSE GYMS AND RESTAURANT DINING ROOMS AND PATIOS FOR gently caress'S SAKE. We had an Rt under 1 in King until they started walking these extremely basic precautions back.

I think think it would have been possible if we'd stayed locked down in the first place. With as much unidentifed community spread as is happening right now, and with the attitude that other people here in Oregon seem to be exhibiting, I really don't see another lockdown being successful.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Another hitch in getting coronavirus to stop is the fact that people still feel it's fine to have large gatherings. Last week the city I live in was in the news because someone that attended a house party of around 40-70 people turned out to be corona positive.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Portland Nazis. I HATE Portland Nazis.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

logger posted:

Another hitch in getting coronavirus to stop is the fact that people still feel it's fine to have large gatherings. Last week the city I live in was in the news because someone that attended a house party of around 40-70 people turned out to be corona positive.

Multiple neighbors hosted large parties for the 4th. Feel like things are gonna get real weird in about two weeks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

I think think it would have been possible if we'd stayed locked down in the first place. With as much unidentifed community spread as is happening right now, and with the attitude that other people here in Oregon seem to be exhibiting, I really don't see another lockdown being successful.

It seems like your view is just myopically looking at Oregon, noting that things have gotten worse since shelter in place orders were softened, and declaring defeat. Look elsewhere at states that had worsening outbreaks and got them under control at least temporarily.

The first lockdown in WA was successful because it modified the effective reproduction number from 2+ to <1. Now it's ~1.1-1.8 (source: https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/data/key-indicators.aspx). So - to recap - we went from zero lockdown with massive community spread (Re 2+) to full lockdown (or as full as is possible for a gov to practically order without federal aid) with a shrinking COVID caseload (Re <1). Now we're in a 'soft' lockdown and have an outbreak between those two extremes with a Re worse than it was a month ago but not as bad as it was 3 months ago.

So tell me how re-employing the exact same strategy that worked not 4 months ago a second time is not going to work. We've got the same virus, the same population susceptibility, the same government, same everything.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

People are broke and fatigued. They aren't going to be as compliant the second time around, and federal help is probably ending, so they'll be even more broke. And yeah, I'm talking about Oregon as well as Washington, because Oregon is also part of the PNW and I live here. This isn't the Seattle thread.

The rural areas of both states never really complied in the first place. But because they were more spread out to begin with and most of the cases were in population centers, that wasn't as big of a problem. With reopening people from the cities flocked to the rural areas and now there are significant increases in the number of cases in those areas. Those people probably still won't be shutting stuff down because a liberal Governor tells them to.

I think it would have been a lot smarter to stay locked dow. In the first place but LOL if you think it's going to go as well the second time around.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

The Oldest Man posted:

So tell me how re-employing the exact same strategy that worked not 4 months ago a second time is not going to work. We've got the same virus, the same population susceptibility, the same government, same everything.

Because people have gotten a little taste of normalcy again after being denied it for a couple months. They're not going to treat a 2nd lockdown the same way they treated the 1st one. Yeah it's the same virus, same people, blah blah blah, but the attitude has changed like therobit mentioned. Some people will respect it. Most business might be forced to close again. But people will not react the same way to a lockdown order as they did the first time.

That's just my take though from talking to a lot of my customers (retail/entertainment type of business) about how things have progressed over the last couple of weeks. I think it's insane how little people trust the science and statistics that have come out and prefer to just do their own thing and hope for the best. It's especially crazy to me how the MAGA types don't see our national failure as an actual failure. Aren't we supposed to be the best loving country on the face of the Earth? How can that kind of competitive mindset deal with such a massive failure? Pure delusional thinking I guess is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It's also NOT the same virus. The European strain that now comprises most of the new infections in the US doesn't make you any sicker but is anywhere from 2-8 times more virulent than its Chinese strain counterpart. Infection rates will be higher.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well unless you have another suggestion for avoiding the "hospitals get overwhelmed" point, lockdown is gonna be the thing we try.

The disadvantages compared to April are fatigue and a federal government even less forthcoming with aid. The advantages are that we have a better understanding of masks and the difference between indoor and outdoor spread, which might allow for some more long-term-usable lockdown strategies.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
rent..... frrrrreeeezzeeee..... :sickos:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Then it needs to be a lockdown + actual material support for everyone being locked down, so it's sustainable.

part of that is funding the things you're demanding people do, like not work, or buy masks, or buy all the stuff to homeschool. stuff costs money and people are already severely short on funds from the last lockdown. demanding another one without actually making it possible just makes more people hate the state/the lockdowns and not care anymore.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, we'd better get some financial aid pointed at this poo poo real quick. You're right "just starve to death without work" isn't an option. Not calling for a lockdown isn't really an option either, because it doesn't lead anywhere -- we can wait until the hospitals fill up and every other health hazard gets worse as a consequence, further increasing the stakes while we'll still be facing the same problem.

We're stressing fruitlessly between two non-options, while all the actual options seem to be off the table due to our country's refusal to let the government spend money to solve problems.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 8, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, we'd better get some financial aid pointed at this poo poo real quick. You're right "just starve to death without work" isn't an option. Not calling for a lockdown isn't really an option either, because it doesn't lead anywhere -- we can wait until the hospitals fill up and every other health hazard gets worse as a consequence, further increasing the stakes while we'll still be facing the same problem.

We're stressing fruitlessly between two non-options, while all the actual options seem to be off the table due to our country's refusal to let the government spend money to solve problems.

Yeah this is pretty much the bottom line here. Either we figure out a way to keep people out of superspreading environments like offices and restaurant dining rooms, or we start digging mass graves.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah this is pretty much the bottom line here. Either we figure out a way to keep people out of superspreading environments like offices and restaurant dining rooms, or we start digging mass graves.
So... what I'm hearing is we either have faith in the most basic competence of the people running the country, or should start investing in shovels?

*goes to buy shovels*

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

So... what I'm hearing is we either have faith in the most basic competence of the people running the country, or should start investing in shovels?

*goes to buy shovels*

Backhoes and dozers, actually.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Looks like chud favorite Culp is having some issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/05/washington-governor-candidate-loren-culp-faces-law/%3Famp-content%3Damp

quote:

In a long-running lawsuit, a woman accuses police and deputies in Ferry County of failing to properly investigate when she reported a pattern of rape and molestation spanning 12 years of her childhood.

Among the defendants is Loren Culp, who is now the police chief in the town of Republic and a Republican candidate for Washington governor. The lawsuit alleges Culp and two other law enforcement officers intimidated the victim, threatened to charge her with making false claims and failed to report her allegations to child welfare authorities as required by law.

Be sure to throw that in the faces of every rear end in a top hat that whines about Inslee making folks wear masks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Looks like chud favorite Culp is having some issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/05/washington-governor-candidate-loren-culp-faces-law/%3Famp-content%3Damp

Be sure to throw that in the faces of every rear end in a top hat that whines about Inslee making folks wear masks.

Buried the lede:

quote:

“We both felt strongly that the allegations were made up and the decision was made to not make an arrest,” Culp wrote.

The victim was sent to stay at Beard’s home that evening. The lawsuit alleges he “took advantage of the distraught and vulnerable 17-year-old and ultimately engaged in sexual relations with her,” a claim his attorney denied in a court filing. Later that night, the victim went to her grandparents’ home.

Beard is now a deputy with the Gilliam County Sheriff’s Office in north-central Oregon.

:stare:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seattle City Council appears to have an emerging veto-proof majority in principle for a 50% funding cut to SPD. Morales, Gonzales, Mosqueda, Sawant, Strauss, and Lewis have all publicly said something to that effect in the last two days in support of the Decriminalize Seattle 4-point plan.

Honestly never thought I'd see the day. SPOG is going to go absolutely nanners.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Oldest Man posted:

Seattle City Council appears to have an emerging veto-proof majority in principle for a 50% funding cut to SPD. Morales, Gonzales, Mosqueda, Sawant, Strauss, and Lewis have all publicly said something to that effect in the last two days in support of the Decriminalize Seattle 4-point plan.

Honestly never thought I'd see the day. SPOG is going to go absolutely nanners.

The issue will be the rubber meeting the road. There's a difference between saying "I support the goal of a 50% cut" and how it happens. If the council passes a budget that phases in SPD cuts, and cuts them by 25% this year and 50% by 2022, will advocates count that as a win or will they be mad it isn't happening faster?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

gohuskies posted:

The issue will be the rubber meeting the road. There's a difference between saying "I support the goal of a 50% cut" and how it happens. If the council passes a budget that phases in SPD cuts, and cuts them by 25% this year and 50% by 2022, will advocates count that as a win or will they be mad it isn't happening faster?

Ha ha Portland did, what, 3%?25% would still be a gigantic win and I sure as poo poo HOPE people would see it as a win because it would be a super awesome thing to be accomplished. Which is not to say things should stop there but holy poo poo any type of progress needs to be acknowledged and celebrated.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gohuskies posted:

will advocates count that as a win or will they be mad it isn't happening faster?

Both! At least from me.

Also Seattle Times Editorial Board with this gem today:
https://twitter.com/SeaTimesOpinion/status/1280991631072690183?s=20

Let's read it shall we!

quote:

The Seattle City Council passed its latest iteration of a payroll tax Monday, a brazen move out of touch with the economic crisis facing the city.
Raising revenue to preserve services in the face of massive shortfalls: it's bad! We should just let our transit, human services, parks, and so on crumble into dust instead. Jobs are fickle creatures and hate cities with functional infrastructure.

quote:

Under the political cover of the COVID-19 emergency, the council voted 7-2 to push through a long-term tax on the city’s richest employers for paying high-income jobs.
"Under political cover" is Seattle Times code for "there's a 300 million dollar hole in the budget" I guess.

quote:

Once again, the council machinated toward a tax while still brainstorming its goal along the way. But setting bad governance aside, taxing employers for providing high-income jobs within city limits could be ruinous for the city’s, and region’s, struggling economy.
The goal is to replace regressive tax revenues with progressive ones to the extent that our backward state constitution allows that but let's not talk about that. Also it's always punitive when we tax the rich (so unfair and anti-job) and never punitive when we tax the poor (sales taxes apply to everyone! don't look at any share of income graphs, they're communist propaganda!)

quote:

The 800 or so businesses subject to the payroll tax — Amazon preeminent among them — now have incentive to take their highest-paying jobs across Lake Washington, or further.
Amazon was already moving jobs across the lake or further so this seems like a good opportunity for some historical revisionism to blame a payroll tax for poo poo that is already happening.

quote:

That revenue is siphoned from businesses, which will manage their balance sheet losses in ways that could hurt Seattle.
Plus all taxation is theft so this is tantamount to robbery.

quote:

Restaurateur Tom Douglas permanently shuttered two once-bustling South Lake Union restaurants the same day the tax was announced. More closures will surely follow.
The ongoing pandemic is unrelated to restaurant closures. Any business that moves or closes from now on - and even some that were already planning to - are because of this tax.

quote:

Councilmember Alex Pedersen, who along with Debora Juarez voted against the tax, rightly characterized the rush job as “taxing first, asking questions later.” Disappointingly, the other council members showed they were willing to overlook thoughtful governance to strike an activist pose. They should reconsider the consequences for the city’s residents and workers.
We should wait until budget cuts cripple and eliminate major functions of city government, thus making it a fait accompli that we will not replace that revenue. Anything less is a rush job.

Ed: bonus scare word inventory:

Brazen!
Out of touch!
Political!
Machinated!
Bad governance!
Ruinous!
Punitive!
Murky!
Flimsy!
Rush job!

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 10, 2020

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I’m guessing everyone here from Washington has seen those Matt Larkin for AG adds but holy poo poo the dog whistling.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 16, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’m guessing everyone here from Washington has seen those Matt Larkin for AG adds but holy poo poo the dog whistling.

What are you talking about? After the city parks reconquista, "those" people will simply go back where they came from.

:stare:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/GregoryMcKelvey/status/1283801687472214016

The PPB has been inspired by the feds

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That person was about six inches from getting their head run into that light pole and probably never waking up again. loving psychopaths.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Oldest Man posted:

The ongoing pandemic is unrelated to restaurant closures. Any business that moves or closes from now on - and even some that were already planning to - are because of this tax.

Call me selfish, but Tom Douglas losing 2 of his gazillion restaurants are the least of my loving concerns at the moment. Feel bad for the workers, but they were screwed anyway.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmao america is a police state and has been my entire life

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmao america is a police state and has been my entire life

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

That person was about six inches from getting their head run into that light pole and probably never waking up again. loving psychopaths.

I'm not going to link the video here because it's absolutely horrifying and because the only source I can find for the original clip is on noted Atomwaffen fan Andy Ngo's twitter, but the video of Donavan La Bella getting shot in the face while holding a boombox over his head with both hands is "demonstrator executed by security forces"-level.

Latest update:

quote:

Donavan LaBella is being treated at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, his mother told KPTV. She said he suffered shattered bones in his face, but it’s not yet clear if he suffered brain trauma or permanent eye injuries. She said he is expected to survive and is no longer in critical condition.

Desiree LaBella told KOIN her son underwent facial reconstructive surgery and had a titanium plate put in his head. She said she spoke to him by computer. She told The Oregonian, “He still has a tube in his skull to drain the blood.”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not going to link the video here because it's absolutely horrifying and because the only source I can find for the original clip is on noted Atomwaffen fan Andy Ngo's twitter, but the video of Donavan La Bella getting shot in the face while holding a boombox over his head with both hands is "demonstrator executed by security forces"-level.

Latest update:
Oh, see, it reminded me of this much older horrifying incident of police violence. Unsurprisingly, according to his LinkedIn, not only does the deputy who did that still work for the Sheriff's office, he's also been promoted to Sergeant.

So many different horrifying acts of police brutality that current horrifying acts of police brutality can remind us of.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/SCC_Insight/status/1284531029173125120

Hey you can't just take away the cops' weapons of mass violence. That violates our consent decree to reduce cops' use of mass violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

https://twitter.com/SCC_Insight/status/1284531029173125120

Hey you can't just take away the cops' weapons of mass violence. That violates our consent decree to reduce cops' use of mass violence.

Jenny Durkan is very anti-Trump. Just because she sides with him on most of the major issues of the day doesn't mean she's not against him... somehow...