Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's peak boomer to imagine that things are going to continue getting better for future generations

Nah, that's more of a general liberal outlook. Peak Boomer is adding "unless we put a stop to it now!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Brief clarification for non-British-isles people, magical boarding school has been a staple of British children's/YA books going back to at least the 70s. One of the :rolleyes: things about the HP fandom for my age group or older is all the people who seem to think she invented the genre.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The second woman author was Anne Rice. So Rowling is third at best.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AlbieQuirky posted:

The deal is that in the English-speaking world, writing books for children and teens has been mostly “women’s work” since the 18th century. Of course, as in all “women’s work” fields, the dudes who choose to do it get more money, attention, and respect, but still.

This was all started off by someone who implied in a tweet that there hadn't been any women authors before JKR, so we need to respect her for pushing the feminism field forward. As you point out, not only is this bullshit, she didn't even break into a new genre or anything

an idiot on social media, if you will

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

The second woman author was Anne Rice. So Rowling is third at best.

the first actual author was a babylonian priestess

so rowling is really loving up the long tradition of her gender

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's like we're in the middle of the dumbest plagues of Egypt imaginable. First suffering under the worst president the US has ever seen, then all the authors on Twitter turn TERF, then a virus cripples the economy. What's next? 12 years of nothing but badly written erotic fiction being published?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/birdrespecter/status/1280036377854275585?s=21

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think you'll find JK Rowling invented these things called "books." Not that you'd know what they are. :smug:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

I was a 90s kid and there were definitely a lot of children's and YA books by women authors floating around back then. I heard of Beverly Cleary, Lois Duncan, K.A. Applegate, and Jane Yolen before I ever heard of J.K. Rowling. This person's full of poo poo.

E: Oh, and Judy Blume. How could I forget Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing?

Most of those authors peaks were in the 70's when YA was just starting to become a subgenre separate from general children's lit. Which ties into what Rowling's actual accomplishment was, revitalizing YA as a genre after a decades-long slump and forcing new and better standards for what qualified onto publishers. Stephanie Meyer deserves some of that credit as well, and a little further down Suzanne Collins.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like we're in the middle of the dumbest plagues of Egypt imaginable. First suffering under the worst president the US has ever seen, then all the authors on Twitter turn TERF, then a virus cripples the economy. What's next? 12 years of nothing but badly written erotic fiction being published?

I read that as a cripple viruses America and immediately started trying to figure out what world leader you meant.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can't remember if it was Diana Wynne Jones or Susan Cooper who were all 'where's our billions damnit'. They probably deserved it, or at least better film adaptations than what they got. Jones was my Rowling, and as far as I know, a good person.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I am now 100% straight and cis. Thanks, jerk.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Chubby Henparty posted:

Can't remember if it was Diana Wynne Jones or Susan Cooper who were all 'where's our billions damnit'. They probably deserved it, or at least better film adaptations than what they got. Jones was my Rowling, and as far as I know, a good person.

I will always stan Diana Wynne Jones and her weird rear end ya books. The novel version of Howl is stranger than the anime movie

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chubby Henparty posted:

drat right, both immeasurablely better writers than terfkrowling. Check out the hounds of the morrigan by pat o'shea for really excellent ya fiction for irish kids.

I love Susan Cooper so much, I nicked a Dark is Rising compilation from the school library when I was finishing primary school. I was the only one who read it :colbert: (I still have that copy)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Jul 6, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bony tony posted:

I will always stan Diana Wynne Jones and her weird rear end ya books. The novel version of Howl is stranger than the anime movie

The book is how Sophie remembers it, the movie is how Howl tells it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pookah posted:

I love Susan Cooper so much, I nicked a Dark is Rising compilation from the school library when I was finishing primary school. I was the only one who read it :colbert: (I still have that copy)

I can decide if dark is rising would make great or terrible movies

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/RealiaAmelia/status/1279967979460050944?s=20

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

hmm someone needs to tell this lady about mcaffrey who made middling but enjoyable ya books and was also a huge pos when it comes to the lbgt community.

i see now that i should of refreshed the thread but who ever said this has always been a womens profession and the men doing it got more money and praise is spot on. i cant think of many pre 2000 ya writers that were men besides ender and the author there is also a pos.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

snergle posted:

hmm someone needs to tell this lady about mcaffrey who made middling but enjoyable ya books and was also a huge pos when it comes to the lbgt community.

i see now that i should of refreshed the thread but who ever said this has always been a womens profession and the men doing it got more money and praise is spot on. i cant think of many pre 2000 ya writers that were men besides ender and the author there is also a pos.

David Eddings comes to mind(just saw a article from the 70s about some pretty horrendous child abuse there)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

snergle posted:

Take a look at Marion Zimmer Bradley for that matter.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

RFC2324 posted:

You may have missed this one: The Dark is Rising, so avoid it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

yeah, I missed it, and that is worse than I expected.

even a good version of it seems like there would be too much weird poo poo going on to make a decent visual experience

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

RFC2324 posted:

David Eddings comes to mind(just saw a article from the 70s about some pretty horrendous child abuse there)

aww man really? His stuff was my favorite trash reading as a kid.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

And as much as they love being oppressed, they still can't help but take shots at people: the leg stubble on the people burning Rowling at the stake.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Speaking of people who want to be victims, what’s astrology twitter up to lately?

https://twitter.com/msariesmoon/status/1279815568808280065?s=21

Ah, I see.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

Speaking of people who want to be victims, what’s astrology twitter up to lately?

Ah, I see.

What about the other times?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

They made one, it was awful, just Hollywood trying to snap up licenses during potterhobbitmania.

Good call on hounds of the morrigan, I remember reading that and I'm sure at least one more series steeped in celtic folklore with a returned merlin with a funny name (except it was post apocalyptic and the hero kid controls the weather?)

Chubby Henparty has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Jul 6, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Aw man, I just noticed the burning books in the background!

In case you forgot, Nazis famously burned the archives of the first trans-affirming clinic, setting LGBT research and activism back by decades. gently caress TERFs who compare trans people to Nazis forever

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RFC2324 posted:

It needs to be made as a multi-parte show, no part of it is the right shape for a movie. Same feeling for The Hounds of the Morrigan: serial TV show, not a single movie. Seriously good funny fantasy book. Puddeneen Whelan the frog is worth anything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ambienvalent/status/1280193503067242496?s=21

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hey em is the idiot imo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ah, I see.

The best part is that almost all of the replies are "Oh my God so THAT'S why my ex was appearing in my dreams for 5 months straight! It was actually his fault the whole time!" And you suddenly realize that's what this whole thing was about from the start.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

snergle posted:

Mcaffery's books are loving wild, and a high recommend for any bad book connoisseur to revisit as an adult, especially the non-Pern books.

Also they weren't YA, but regular scifi genre fiction which gets into why there are/were relatively few men writing in YA. A lot of the books people have mentioned were considered adult genre lit and have only been recategorized as Young Adult relatively recently. Biases about who writes what kind of book meant genre fiction by men was more likely to get the adult treatment, rather than put in with kid's lit. You didn't find Ender's Game shelved next to Fear Street. I think most of the male writers I saw when I was reading YA and stocking bookshelves were standard fiction, which at the time meant a lot of morality tales about the problems Kids These Days face. And R.L Stine as mentioned.

Garth Nix! That's one guy explicitly writing fantasy for teens.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Jul 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

And as much as they love being oppressed, they still can't help but take shots at people: the leg stubble on the people burning Rowling at the stake.

Famously a thing Real WomenTM never get. Ask second wave feminists.

there wolf posted:

Mcaffery's books are loving wild, and a high recommend for any bad book connoisseur to revisit as an adult, especially the non-Pern books.

Also they weren't YA, but regular scifi genre fiction which gets into why there are/were relatively few men writing in YA. A lot of the books people have mentioned were considered adult genre lit and have only been recategorized as Young Adult relatively recently. Biases about who writes what kind of book meant genre fiction by men was more likely to get the adult treatment, rather than put in with kid's lit. You didn't find Ender's Game shelved next to Fear Street. I think most of the male writers I saw when I was reading YA and stocking bookshelves were standard fiction, which at the time meant a lot of morality tales about the problems Kids These Days face. And R.L Stine as mentioned.

Garth Nix! That's one guy explicitly writing fantasy for teens.

Garth Nix is great, also Phillip Pullman wrote some very good books but I dunno if he's a bit melty in his dotage.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Personally I can't stand YA whatsoever but most people don't like that my favorite books come with appendixes on physics so gently caress it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
my favourite books come with appendices on the royal lineage of cormyr, so there

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's peak boomer to imagine that things are going to continue getting better for future generations

Tenebrais posted:

Nah, that's more of a general liberal outlook. Peak Boomer is adding "unless we put a stop to it now!".
The liberal view is adding "therefore we don't need to do any work to ensure it".

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

OwlFancier posted:

Famously a thing Real WomenTM never get. Ask second wave feminists.

Preaching to the choir here but it never raises eyebrows for those supposed feminists that they’ve essentialized being a “real” woman” to having ovaries, bearing children, and shaving your body hair. Nor do they seem to care about cis women being kicked out of bathrooms for having shaved heads or something.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Preaching to the choir here but it never raises eyebrows for those supposed feminists that they’ve essentialized being a “real” woman” to having ovaries, bearing children, and shaving your body hair. Nor do they seem to care about cis women being kicked out of bathrooms for having shaved heads or something.

I'm a cis woman, but I bet if you gave my photo to a TERF and said, "This is a trans woman," they'd be all like, "Yes, the jaw gives him away. I can always tell!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

my mom is cis but she'd fail the "REAL WOMEN HAVE WOMBS" test because she had to get hers removed ten years ago because she was growing tumors in there.

and according to jkr i'm not a woman because i don't have periods (thanks, PCOS) even though i was born cis. :v: