Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is this plant growing in a patch of wildflowers that looks like a dead tarantula?

It was the only one in the entire area that I could see. What is it and why was there only one?

E: I was too afraid to touch it so no idea what it felt like. It’s fuzzy and looks like pea pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is this plant growing in a patch of wildflowers that looks like a dead tarantula?

It was the only one in the entire area that I could see. What is it and why was there only one?

Those are seed pods

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Those are seed pods

I figured as much. Any idea what plant it is and why I didn’t see any others? Location NL, found the other day.

E: they were about the length of umm, maybe a bit smaller than my pinkie.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I figured as much. Any idea what plant it is and why I didn’t see any others? Location NL, found the other day.

E: they were about the length of umm, maybe a bit smaller than my pinkie.

I believe it’s lupine. I wasn’t positive at first, but those dead leaves on the plant look like lupine leaves.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Roundup is the nuclear option, not really ideal at all for clearing out little dinky weeds that are surrounded by grass that you want to live. It will kill whatever plant it touches indiscriminately

There are some herbicides out there that target specific plants to the exclusion of others, will have to do a little research on what would be most appropriate for both that type of weed and that type of grass

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Oil of Paris posted:

Roundup is the nuclear option, not really ideal at all for clearing out little dinky weeds that are surrounded by grass that you want to live. It will kill whatever plant it touches indiscriminately

There are some herbicides out there that target specific plants to the exclusion of others, will have to do a little research on what would be most appropriate for both that type of weed and that type of grass

Yeah. Generally you can tell what type of grass based on what grows where you live. As for weeds, post pics!

If grass safe, 2,4D will most likely do the trick, Triclopyr will cover a lot of the others, but affected species will be listed for all the herbicides. You may have to do several applications, and you will want to do them when temperature is below 85'F (or ideally 80'F) to or the herbicides will start to volatilize and could harm surrounding plants even if not directly sprayed (eg your roses).

Some (dandelions) you will need to use a weed tool/screwdriver and remove the whole taproot by hand (or hit it with some roundup). Mixing with a non-ionic surfactant will help stick to the leaves, and using some marking dye can help you with coverage.

If you want to get more hands-on, Tenacity (aka mesotrione) is super cool and OMRI-listed, but it must be applied with a tank sprayer and you have to be somewhat practiced at getting even applications so as to get enough active ingredient to be effective everywhere without so much that it burns the grass as well as the weeds. We are talking teaspoons per gallon per 1k sqft.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Composting goons, I’m doing a bucket based setup but I’m worried I may have missed a step. I’m alternating wet and dry compost and doing daily mixes via rolling the bucket around, but I’m seeing sort of a mix of info around whether or not I should toss in some garden soil to help seed microbes and whatnot. Can someone comment on if this is needed and if so, how much?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I like alternating high carbon/high nitrogen, and sometimes that means throwing some soil in the mix. I wouldn't stress much about how stuff rots, as long as it's not going anaerobic it'll turn into a dirt like substance eventually. I think some people go all out and seed it with the same microbes that's in their no-dig permaculture garden but I'm of the opinion that if it's going in the garden anyways then it'll seed itself just fine.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Almost anything you are going to be composting should be covered to small degrees in something that can compost it. At most I'd consider seeding it with a small portion of a previous batch of compost, as you'll get microbes that also work well in your environment.

I keep a bag of cheap shredded/fine pine mulch and just toss that in every so often as my "brown" source.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

First batch, but I’ll keep that in mind for later. We get little mini newspapers that I use to light my grill so I’ve been shredding those by hand and tossing them in.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I believe it’s lupine. I wasn’t positive at first, but those dead leaves on the plant look like lupine leaves.

I can confirm this. All the flower stalks on mine turned into those fuzzy seed pods. When dry, the pods will spring open once cracked. Apparently if you cut them back before the whole thing goes to seed they will flower again.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

First batch, but I’ll keep that in mind for later. We get little mini newspapers that I use to light my grill so I’ve been shredding those by hand and tossing them in.

Cardboard boxes will also work well (just don't use pieces with tape/labels on them). Also, I just toss used paper towels into my compost bin as long as they aren't soaked in animal products or cleaning agents of some sort (which ends up being quite a lot with a 2- and 4-year old around).

Also a really great way to dispose of old potting soil (which is going to be high in composted peat, a really great "brown" additive).

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Novo posted:

I can confirm this. All the flower stalks on mine turned into those fuzzy seed pods. When dry, the pods will spring open once cracked. Apparently if you cut them back before the whole thing goes to seed they will flower again.

I have some drying in my kitchen :)

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I have some drying in my kitchen :)

Do you know if they will all produce the same color flowers as the parent? I have a huge pile of seed pods that all came off one plant and it would be awesome if that's the case.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

The tips being dried out like that is very common with newly purchased Haworthia fasciata. I think it's potentially from them getting sunburned at nurseries but I'm not entirely sure what causes it.

Your aloe looks like it may be well on the way to rotting, unfortunately, but it's impossible to tell for sure from a photo. Succulents on the shelves at places like supermarkets and big box stores often have some/all of their roots rotted out from the store overwatering the poo poo out of them while they wait for them to sell. The soil you have them in also looks dangerously organic (there's some posts about what to grow succulents in within the last page or two).

There are an incredible number of succulents out there so you'd probably have to give people more to go on. You could try browsing around a site like this and seeing what jumps out at you.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I can confirm that growers definitely don't grow succulents in proper soil for the most part. Worse still are those little drat plugs they sometimes use.

Although I tell people not to go gung ho with changing pots too soon, I think it's important to replant smaller succulents into a sandier soil, maybe in terracotta if at all possible, just for the porosity.

You might like to try out some Kalanchoe species. Some are stupidly easy/borderline weedy but there are a amazing variety of leaf textures. K. Orgyalis has beautiful copper leaves, K. tomentosa is fuzzy.are

Oh wow, thanks for this. I'll do my best tracking down some succulent mix and transplanting them. I hope the aloe will be ok! Can I just leave it out of the pot and let the roots dry out??

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hubis posted:

Cardboard boxes will also work well (just don't use pieces with tape/labels on them). Also, I just toss used paper towels into my compost bin as long as they aren't soaked in animal products or cleaning agents of some sort (which ends up being quite a lot with a 2- and 4-year old around).

Also a really great way to dispose of old potting soil (which is going to be high in composted peat, a really great "brown" additive).

Oh that’s a great idea! We have a ton of boxes from amazon that I can break down without filling up the recycling bin.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Novo posted:

Do you know if they will all produce the same color flowers as the parent? I have a huge pile of seed pods that all came off one plant and it would be awesome if that's the case.

From my understanding, they hybridize easily. You may get a different color.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

Oh wow, thanks for this. I'll do my best tracking down some succulent mix and transplanting them. I hope the aloe will be ok! Can I just leave it out of the pot and let the roots dry out??

I would pull it out of the soil it's in and check if its roots are doing okay. Rotten roots are mushy/soft and dark brown generally, while healthy roots should be firm and light colored. If it has root rot you'll want to wash as much of the soil off of them as you can and then remove any rotten roots (with scissors, preferably); replant it in something well draining and don't water it for a while.

Novo posted:

Can confirm that they can/will flower multiple times if you cut them back after the petals start falling off the first time around.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What can I do to encourage my lavender to bloom? Is it just too late for it to happen this year? Details: 3 plants of some sort of stocky, shrubby lavender that I can't find seed info on in my emails, went about 180 days in my aerogarden, transferred very successfully to a container on my west-facing balcony where it can get more sun about a month ago. The leaves smell great but I want flowers, dangit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Something super cool happened! Last year, my wife grew some hollyhocks from seed. The plants did very well, and the colors that happened to come up were red and white. They came up again this year, alongside a bunch of new plants from the seeds dropped by last year's flowers. I was going to go weed them out of the garden bed, but my wife stopped me with an idea. What if the new plants were a hybrid? What color would their flowers be? Red? White? Some of both? Striped? Pink?

So we decided to let them grow. This past weekend one of the offspring finally blossomed!

It's pink! loving wild, man! Genetics in action.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

Oh that’s a great idea! We have a ton of boxes from amazon that I can break down without filling up the recycling bin.

The boxes also work great as a biodegradable weed barrier under mulch. I threw down a ton of our accumulated boxes along the paths of our vegetable garden and covered them with some cedar mulch.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

ColdPie posted:

It's pink! loving wild, man! Genetics in action.

That's awesome.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We dug up some old timey roses bushes that were growing wild all over an abandonded rural property next to my parents place. Man it was overgrown as heck had to use a scythe to get in there. I remember when I was a kid in the 80s it was sorta semi kept in in trim despite the owner dying in the 1960s. The old guy who lived there was a weird one they said, moonshiner and smuggler, several times in and out of prison, then became a lawyer in prison.

Oh well some digging later we got 4 plants

Put them in a row here next to a modern breed of rose. They've already flowered for this year but they should be white or pinkish in color and have a strong scent.

They ought to look something like this when in bloom

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Looks like a 'Blanc de Coubert' Rosa rugosa.

We think of roses as dainty flowers that need extra care and attention but then there's the rugose roses which can somehow survive an assault against a backhoe and regrow like a hydra.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I can only guess but I think it's latin name might be rosa pimpinellifolia plena or rosa spinosissima Plena, or some variant of that breed. They also produce fruits.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 12, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One of my Gala apple trees is dying and/or dead and we can’t figure out why. :(

This is one of the two middle-most trees in the row, and it’s the only tree in the entire row that is having problems. All of my other apple trees are thriving — all 18 of them — including the two on either side of this one.

(yeah I still need to mulch them... poo poo’s been a bit weird at my house lately)

Unfortunately I only just noticed this last week, since I haven’t been outside to check on the trees in several weeks. Otherwise I might’ve been able to stop it, or at least get some kind of photo record on how it got this way to help diagnose whatever is wrong.

What the gently caress is going on here? What is killing this tree, and why is it only affecting this one tree? What do I need to do to keep whatever is wrong with this tree from spreading to all of the others? And what should I do to make sure a new Gala tree planted in this same spot won’t meet the same fate?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It looks like it just got cooked from not getting enough water and the weather getting hot. Probably some combination of not enough water/not enough root growth (didn't you plant late IIRC?)/ heavy soil/no mulch. You might have noticed droopy, limp leaves a week or three ago?

It could also be fire blight, but I'm not familiar enough to say for sure. I just now it makes brown leaves and it's a major reason more apples aren't grown in the SE.

I'd say its 90% chance it got cooked, 10% chance it's fire blight. The other trees look happy and healthy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It looks like it just got cooked from not getting enough water and the weather getting hot. Probably some combination of not enough water/not enough root growth (didn't you plant late IIRC?)/ heavy soil/no mulch. You might have noticed droopy, limp leaves a week or three ago?

It could also be fire blight, but I'm not familiar enough to say for sure. I just now it makes brown leaves and it's a major reason more apples aren't grown in the SE.

I'd say its 90% chance it got cooked, 10% chance it's fire blight. The other trees look happy and healthy.

It didn’t get cooked. It got the exact same amounts of water, sun, and heat as all of the other trees, and is in the exact same mix of soil, and it’s still the only tree out of the bunch that is suffering. If it had been cooked, then several of the other trees would’ve had the same poo poo going on too.

Likewise, I feel like if it got hit by a fungus, then some of the surrounding trees would’ve also started showing signs of problems by now, but I don’t know how fruit tree fungii work so maybe I’m wrong about that.

EDIT: Maybe cat poo poo is involved somehow, I dunno. :shrug:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 15, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've seen that happen when one tree becomes the pissing tree. It changes the chemistry of the soil in that one particular spot. You got dogs or other animals that get into pissing contests? Small children?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

It didn’t get cooked. It got the exact same amounts of water, sun, and heat as all of the other trees, and is in the exact same mix of soil, and it’s still the only tree out of the bunch that is suffering. If it had been cooked, then several of the other trees would’ve had the same poo poo going on too.

There might have been pretty clear signs of what was going wrong a couple of weeks ago but it's kind of hard to tell now. It could be an animal or whatever specifically damaging that tree, but it could also be that all of the trees experienced the same stress this one did but it wasn't as able to deal with it. It seems pretty common to get multiple plants of the same species from the same source and find that some of them don't do nearly as well as others or take much longer to settle in. Plants that are already weak are less able to defend themselves from pests, and it looks like even before it withered away that tree didn't have nearly as much foliage as the trees to either side of it (unless you pruned it since it died).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I've seen that happen when one tree becomes the pissing tree. It changes the chemistry of the soil in that one particular spot. You got dogs or other animals that get into pissing contests? Small children?

I hope this is the issue. If it is, then all I have to do to fix the soil for the next tree is correct the pH/nutrients/etc and install those two other motion sprinklers I got a few weeks ago. Unless there are parasites in cat piss that I need to worry about.

Is there a test you can do to check for parasites/diseases or cat piss in your soil? Or do I need to send a soil sample off to my local ag extension and have them test it?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have no idea. If it were me I'd leave it as a sacrificial tree

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

no way, that poo poo ain’t happenin

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there a test you can do to check for parasites/diseases or cat piss in your soil? Or do I need to send a soil sample off to my local ag extension and have them test it?

You could just test the PH of it and compare to the surrounding soil. That obviously won't tell you about parasites but it seems sort of unlikely that anything parasitic in the soil would have killed that plant but have ignored all of the other ones.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hold up, does mulch serve a purpose other than aesthetics?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbird posted:

How doesn’t it serve a purpose?

Mulch helps the soil retain moisture, helps moisture enter the soil instead of pooling on the surface or running off and causing erosion, suppresses weeds, and as it breaks down it provides nutrients and improves the condition of the underlying soil.

Inorganic mulch (rocks, rubble) does some of those things, and not particularly well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Also protects pathogens from splashing up from the soil during watering onto plant

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
That fuckin apple tree has fire blight

Warbird posted:

Really lolling at the idea of looking at every garden ever planted and thinking “drat, this whole mulch look really caught on”

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 16, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

To be fair, a nice thick layer of bark mulch really makes whatever is growing there pop against the dark ground. It's a good look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

That fuckin apple tree has fire blight

Really lolling at the idea of looking at every garden ever planted and thinking “drat, this whole mulch look really caught on”
Dang I called it a year before I. M. Gei even planted them! I thought it might be, but I wasn’t sure. I’ve never tried growing apples so I’ve never seen it in person, but I’ve read it is very bad in this climate and makes growing apples basically impossible.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/peach/fig1.html

It looks like Gala's only need 500ish hours. Apples in the south like to get fire blight, so watch out for it.

This might help you too:
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/apple/apple.html

I. M. Gei posted:

no way, that poo poo ain’t happenin
E: To be more helpful, there is no cure-from what I can tell, prevention is everything. I think if you watch for signs of it starting and cut out the effected wood, you can limit the damage and keep the tree healthy, but I think yours is already toast. Read up on it and keep an eye out for any signs on it's neighbors. Since it didn't make it a year, the nursery may give you a refund. Looks like there are some resistant varieties (Empire, Enterprise, probably others) but idk if they will work for you chill hour-wise or not.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 17, 2020