Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mahomes is getting the kind of contract that tempts the gods to gently caress with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mahomes is getting the kind of contract that tempts the gods to gently caress with you

I mean, his kneecap was on the side of his leg and he missed three games in a Super Bowl season.

If the wrath of God comes down on him he's earned the shot to try to avoid it as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grittybeard posted:

This guy couldn't even win in college!

(seriously how did Kliff Kingsbury coach this man and not even manage to make a bowl game his last year in college?)

I haven't verified this but I heard someone on the radio saying you can only spread signing bonuses out for 5 years or something like that.

Texas Tech traditionally has a team that is full of people not good enough to go to OU, UT, or TAMU. Putting up 30+ ppg doesn’t matter if your defense gives up more. Also, Mahomes still set NCAA records and had one of the most incredible games of college football in a losing effort against the Baker Mayfield led Sooners.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Found this article that's rather interesting.

quote:

Donovan McNabb signed a 12-year deal with the Eagles in 2002 that had a maximum value of $115 million.

Brett Favre signed what was termed a “lifetime contract” in 2001 when he agreed to a 10-year, $100 million deal with the Packers in 2001.

Drew Bledsoe received a 10-year, $103 million deal with the Patriots in 2001.

Michael Vick signed a 10-year, $130 million contract extension with the Falcons on Christmas Eve 2004.

Daunte Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million contract extension that included $16 million in guarantees with the Vikings before the 2003 season.

The stories announcing the long-term contracts for those quarterbacks all point to the player finishing his career with the team that gave him the big deal. It didn’t work out that way.

All five quarterbacks finished their careers elsewhere.

Gonna be weird watching Mahomes struggle in a Raiders jersey ten years from now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
52-88, 734 YDS, 5 TD, 1 INT

That is an insane stat line and he lost that game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Something something Chiefs - Colts playoff game

https://aws.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200401110kan.htm

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This isn't even the Chiefs/Colts playoff game I was expecting!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Mr. Nice! posted:

52-88, 734 YDS, 5 TD, 1 INT

That is an insane stat line and he lost that game.

scrub rear end college quarterback throwing a pick for every five touchdowns

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoshMcCown12/status/1280218702307352578?s=20

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Intruder posted:

the Texans let the Chiefs set the market with Mahomes, now they won't sign Deshaun out of some sort of principle :lol:

Good, let watson go to a team that deserves him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spoeank posted:

the chicago bears traded up to draft mitch trubisky lol

:mad:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Congrats to the real winner in this deal.

Dak.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1280245527955812354

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

lol, nice

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

This isn't even the Chiefs/Colts playoff game I was expecting!

:same:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1280246859571789824?s=20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Now show me where Jameis is on that list.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Silly Burrito posted:

Now show me where Dak is on that list.

And where he would have been if Jerry took his previous highest demand

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eagerly awaiting Mahomes first ever bad game hell all he has to do is lose once and having people post 10 years 450 million :lol: over and over again.

I will be sanguine because Patrick Mahomes will be my team's quarterback.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

This loving game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I'm glad Philip will be protected finally

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

With my TV on ESPN, my laptop on my lap, phone, ipad next to me, and headphones listening to a streaming radio show my girlfriend goes I thought you were getting stuff done today and all of a sudden it's Mahomes Monday?

Welcome to Mahomes Monday at least in this house.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

OxySnake posted:

Congrats to the real winner in this deal.

Dak.

There's no way Dak gets close to that money though because Jerrah will say "He's won them a SB already."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do people really think Dak is gonna get 500 mil now or w/e? Not every QB contract has to exceed the previous one. Dak is gonna get something closer to Wentz than Mahomes

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Mahomes didn't set the market, he's the outlier.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I feel like this much hyperemphasis on one position is bad for the future of the NFL but what do I know.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
In case you were curious about QB deals, here they are according to Spotrac.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

In case you were curious about QB deals, here they are according to Spotrac.

Seeing QB contracts sorted by % of cap and including historical data would be cool, if that's easily findable on spotrac

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do people really think Dak is gonna get 500 mil now or w/e? Not every QB contract has to exceed the previous one. Dak is gonna get something closer to Wentz than Mahomes

I don't believe anyone thinks that, it just means he'll probably get more than before.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

:sickos: LETS loving GO :sickos:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

Mahomes didn't set the market, he's the outlier.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

From a market setting perspective I would have preferred he used his massive leverage to push for something like 5/$225m fully guaranteed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope the NFL folds in like 3 years now

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sourdough posted:

Seeing QB contracts sorted by % of cap and including historical data would be cool, if that's easily findable on spotrac

As far as I can tell at least with the free version, it's just active contracts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mahomes gave the Chiefs a hometown discount. Seriously, he could have gotten a lot more. I know it sounds crazy but this deal is great for both sides.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The ceiling is gonna go up

Dak was never making Mahomes money. Anyone who suggested he was after that is loving nuts. But there's been talk before that the Cowboys are gunshy on offering him a 5 year deal. Well now they gotta worry that it's the 4/5 year issue, as well as the asking price going up.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Tim Riggins saying 'KC forever' in a muppets voice.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No but he will get more than he would have if the Cowboys had signed him before the Mahomes deal

Same with Watson

e: Which talking head is going to be the first to say that number is meaningless until we seed the guaranteed money?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 6, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Intruder posted:

No but he will get more than he would have if the Cowboys had signed him before the Mahomes deal

Same with Watson

If Dak was asking for 140 before, I fail to see how Mahomes getting paid means Dak has leverage to ask for 150 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Same with Watson

I do not hate you Intruder, but I do hate how dumb your franchise is so it is difficult for me to not hope for a flat out war about Watson (as long as he wins in the end).