Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Ride it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

Ride it back.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh I would love to.

I have absolutely no way of getting to it that's not either driving myself or an overnight public transport nightmare that'll leave me in no state to ride 600km.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Oh I would love to.

I have absolutely no way of getting to it that's not either driving myself or an overnight public transport nightmare that'll leave me in no state to ride 600km.

You can get it in a van. The headlight cowl comes off pretty easy, and at worst, the handlebars are held on by 4 Allen key bolts. poo poo, take a bunch of towels or mover's blankets, and lay it sort of on its side if you have to.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, the bike's height is listed 119.5cm and I just measured the van and it's 127cm at the rear door, I just don't trust the listed measurement to be the actual tallest point. It felt like the intruder only just fit, but I can't remember if I took the mirrors off or not. Guess I'll just take tools and roll the handlebars back or forward if need be.

Don't really wanna lay a bike down in there, it's my wife's van and is a nice carpeted passenger vehicle that I sometimes use for hauling stuff around, and dripping bike fluids onto it's not an option. But I guess I'll be taking tarps and mover's pads anyway so if I gotta I gotta, I'm sure I can keep any potential leaks from reaching the carpet.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dont try to put a dr in the back of an odyssey please. Rent a uhaul van. I've done it twice for a 14 hour round trip (each time), and it was great.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nah, it's a vw multivan. Passenger trim but all the same tie down points as a transporter. I've hauled a bunch of poo poo in it without any issues, including my intruder and a couple of ride-on mowers, so if it fits it's cool, I just can't be leaking oil onto the carpet. I put mover's pads and a tarp (not pictured) under that kind of thing, but nothing's leaked yet like I assume a bike lying down would do.

e: Actually, just looking at that photo, the DR will fit for sure, and I might not even need to take the mirrors down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 1, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, youre fine.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've brought bikes home in my Odyssey, but it just barely fit a pregen Ninja 250 and I had to take the meres off the old Katana.

I'm sure a dualsport is right out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey man what’s wrong with Alabama

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you have horses on a motorbike in the first place??

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

He did that a few months ago and y’all got all bothered about it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Did I really? poo poo I'm repeating myself, and what's worse, someone noticed it.

Anyways, I just got new tars put on and

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I wouldn't have recalled it if people Sagebrush hadn't gotten bothered.

captainOrbital posted:

My little FZ, stripped of all that useless stuff like meres and turn signals

Sagebrush posted:

this better be ironic

Huh, in my memory it was more than one person. Oh well. Although it is funny that it was Sagebrush immediately both times.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 2, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm a college professor and I don't put up with that kind of poo poo in my thread

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well, I promise to never do it again, if only for the sake of remaining unpredictable and vibrant.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Your gonna do it again

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What's next, we can't say mirin?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your gonna do it again

God drat it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My doctoral thesis: Swamp rear end, measurement and prevention thereof

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Recent algae talk in the crash thread has me wondering:

If you're going to have to take your bike through an impossibly slippery area, like say algae covered smooth stones with water too, what's the best way to have as little chance of dropping it?

Waddle the bike forward while on it? Or walking alongside it? Something else? Does it depend on the height and weight of the bike?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
shorter stretches (crossing an aqueduct/waterway) i've just straightened up and coasted through with momentum in neutral. longer stretches? i don't see how you get past without falling even walking the bike unless you have cleats or some poo poo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Recent algae talk in the crash thread has me wondering:

If you're going to have to take your bike through an impossibly slippery area, like say algae covered smooth stones with water too, what's the best way to have as little chance of dropping it?

Waddle the bike forward while on it? Or walking alongside it? Something else? Does it depend on the height and weight of the bike?

for my crossings out here in TN I usually turn my traction control alllllll the way up and just hit it as straight as possible while maintaining speed. highly doubt those dakar bikes had TC and they also all came into that crossing at an angle on knobbies, so really it was going to happen no matter what

but if you're not going to just ride it I'd say just waddle it. walk the crossing first and see how slick it is with your boots, but I'd say waddling would probably be safest

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I think waddling might have more chance of staying upright than walking alongside, but if you're alongside you can avoid going over yourself, just let go and stand clear.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, I think waddling might have more chance of staying upright than walking alongside, but if you're alongside you can avoid going over yourself, just let go and stand clear.

agreedo. I just always recommend walking poo poo just so you know what a best case scenario is

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Algae is mostly an issue on uniform smoothish surfaces, like concrete in a dedicated water crossing. A "normal" river crossing does not have the algae issue because the riverbed is not uniform.
If you can flat foot the bike, it's not that heavy and your soles has traction i'd waddle over. if your soles has no traction, tossing on some sand/ small rocks/ earth is the only thing I can think of as a "fast" fix.

The problem is though that usually you don't know that it's that drat slippery. Coast straight across with a little steering input as possible if you happen across one you are unsure of.
The issue here is the front slipping, not the rear from too little traction vs power input.

Wooden bridges, cattle grids especially when wet is the same method. go straight over with no lean, with as little input as possible.

If it's an river/stream, you gun it more to keep momentum up vs rocks and to not sink into mud.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
In both Texas and Iowa there were "submerged bridges" that were always covered in algae. Stay off the brakes... drag your feet if you need to, steady as you go, constant even steady power. I've actually had Kuffs' brother drop his FZ6 on one of these in front of me and just "flintstone braked" and hald the clutch in. That was safer that getting on the brakes at either end.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I just noticed the new thread title. :D

You can't just rely on shoulder checks all your life.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As a resident off roader, I've ridden over a lot of slick poo poo and sometimes there's just nothing you can do. Wet/damp wood bridges are usually a gamble on a good day and if they're slimy, you can do everything right and still end up on your rear end. Waddle/stabilize with both feet down if possible. If you do drop your bike you can either save it, or prevent yourself from falling with your bike. Speed is a gamble, go fast and glide right over it but if you slide the fall is going to be worse, or go slow and the fall is probably not going to hurt but more likely to happen. Keep your bike as perfectly straight and vertical as you can, coast over. Don't turn, don't brake and don't accelerate. I've had a fun experience on a slimy bridge while mountain biking. It had a 45º left hand angled turn. I went down the second I tried turning, slid under the hand rail and dropped three feet into the creek.

You can do everything right and still go down. Sometimes the moto gods just want a blood sacrifice. God forbid its a wet/slimy wooden bridge that froze overnight and is just starting to thaw. Thats an impossible kind of hell. I lost my front tire on a wooden bridge and slammed pretty hard even at slow speed.

These things ... we have a few of them here in washington as well. Luckily the few I've been on have been pretty good traction wise. There's one that I'll power wheelie through/over because its not really slimy. I was crossing a different one that was really slimy and lost my back tire traction halfway and started to fishtail thinking I was about to go swimming. It grabbed once I crossed and I was able to stay upright by grabbing some throttle. My buddy behind me was pretty soaked though.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 6, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Verman posted:

As a resident off roader, I've ridden over a lot of slick poo poo and sometimes there's just nothing you can do. Wet/damp wood bridges are usually a gamble on a good day and if they're slimy, you can do everything right and still end up on your rear end. Waddle/stabilize with both feet down if possible. If you do drop your bike you can either save it, or prevent yourself from falling with your bike. Speed is a gamble, go fast and glide right over it but if you slide the fall is going to be worse, or go slow and the fall is probably not going to hurt but more likely to happen. Keep your bike as perfectly straight and vertical as you can, coast over. Don't turn, don't brake and don't accelerate. I've had a fun experience on a slimy bridge while mountain biking. It had a 45º left hand angled turn. I went down the second I tried turning, slid under the hand rail and dropped three feet into the creek.

You can do everything right and still go down. Sometimes the moto gods just want a blood sacrifice. God forbid its a wet/slimy wooden bridge that froze overnight and is just starting to thaw. Thats an impossible kind of hell.

lol speaking of pedal bike crashes some dumbass city planner in portland decided to make part of the sidewalk out of wood for like a half block in the pearl. I've almost eaten poo poo on it walking after a solid week or so of rain, but anyways:

riding on the sidewalk is HIGHLY ILLEGAL in portland, but I was doing it anyways cause it was during the last snowpocalypse we had and I had forgotten about that insanely slick wood sidewalk since it was covered in fresh snow. I wanted to stay out of the street because curbs will protect me from the morons in portland who can't drive in the snow. I remembered that lovely wood sidewalk as soon as I started falling :D

I miss pedal biking in the city so very much

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

You can't just rely on shoulder checks all your life.

Should be 'You need you're clothes, you're boots, you're meres, and you're motorcycle:New Riders Thread'

Though that might be too long.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

<:mad:>

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It took some doing but I got it

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It took some doing but I got it

Thank you for youre service :patriot:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Thank you for youre service :patriot:

o7

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
All this talk about water crossings and the inevitability of eating poo poo really highlights the importance of frame sliders/engine guards and armored boots.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I simply choose not to ride over water crossings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What the gently caress is a water crossing doing on a road? Build a fucken bridge or maybe not build the road in the middle of a stream or gently caress I don't know anything else besides that.