Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Stephen Baxter's NASA series (Voyage, Titan, and Moonseed), or his Xeelee Series
Awesome

The billionaire worship thing's common throughout his novels. He loves it. (It's distracting, but I guess he works well with it) His main characters are usually comically well-connected.

I agree on the nuclear strike thing. It also highlights my favorite part of Sci-Fi (Also Carl Sagan's, if my memory and reading comp is working): His concepts in the MOAB section about a post-truth world, armies of influencing bots, the internet and tribalism. It's so relevant, and I think we're living in a turning point of it. It's the type of writing that makes me want to just start coding my own apes, and see how much karma on reddit I could get. If I could make bots in the D&D section of this forum and have them learn from and parrot various talking points, to turn the discussion one way or another. And to think how much of this is actually happening now, and how much isn't, but could be. We're so dependent on media, the internet etc for what we think about, how we think etc. Social pressure etc. The potential (Realized, not realized, or yet-to-be realized) is thought-provoking. How much we depend on the opinion of our peers is evolutionary baked in to us, but we now live in a time when we can't be sure our peers are real. Right now, I'd argue most people don't question it, but will have to soon. (IMO should already be)

More broadly, and perhaps a stretch: It got me thinking about what's the purpose of the internet? Why do we use it? What are the evolutionary triggers? Why do we compulsively check our email, Facebook, etc? What are we getting out of it? We can make it what we want, but what do we want? I've applied this to my own hardware devices I'm working on. I've decided to make the latest one deliberately internet-free. The trendy solution, and one existing similar products take, is to connect it to the web (aka The Cloud, aka IoT), use your smartphone touchscreen etc, but I've made it offline, its own screen etc.

I have a vision where bucking the trend of the internet/IoT/cloud, combined with cheap hardware (display etc) will open up a world of smart, task-specific devices that don't suffer from the problems our current phones and computers have... ie spam and distractions everywhere, powerful hardware grinding to a halt due to security software, email taking 10 mins to load, popups stealing your attention etc. Personal assistants that can solve the hard problem of interpreting speech, but must have constant connectivity, and have crippled functionality. Taking a step back in some ways, but augmented in a way to be more useful. Inspired by Fall.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

If I loved mason & Dixon, would I also like against the day?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yes! It is written much in the same way encompassing different genres depending on which characters are present. Its a much easier reading experience as it is not written in old english, but its long. Really long. It also incorporates a lot of scientific principles which made sense in the context of its time period it takes place, like aether and bi location, which have since been disproven by more modern theories like quantum physics.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dominoes posted:

Awesome

The billionaire worship thing's common throughout his novels. He loves it. (It's distracting, but I guess he works well with it) His main characters are usually comically well-connected.

I agree on the nuclear strike thing. It also highlights my favorite part of Sci-Fi (Also Carl Sagan's, if my memory and reading comp is working): His concepts in the MOAB section about a post-truth world, armies of influencing bots, the internet and tribalism. It's so relevant, and I think we're living in a turning point of it. It's the type of writing that makes me want to just start coding my own apes, and see how much karma on reddit I could get. If I could make bots in the D&D section of this forum and have them learn from and parrot various talking points, to turn the discussion one way or another. And to think how much of this is actually happening now, and how much isn't, but could be. We're so dependent on media, the internet etc for what we think about, how we think etc. Social pressure etc. The potential (Realized, not realized, or yet-to-be realized) is thought-provoking. How much we depend on the opinion of our peers is evolutionary baked in to us, but we now live in a time when we can't be sure our peers are real. Right now, I'd argue most people don't question it, but will have to soon. (IMO should already be)

More broadly, and perhaps a stretch: It got me thinking about what's the purpose of the internet? Why do we use it? What are the evolutionary triggers? Why do we compulsively check our email, Facebook, etc? What are we getting out of it? We can make it what we want, but what do we want? I've applied this to my own hardware devices I'm working on. I've decided to make the latest one deliberately internet-free. The trendy solution, and one existing similar products take, is to connect it to the web (aka The Cloud, aka IoT), use your smartphone touchscreen etc, but I've made it offline, its own screen etc.

I have a vision where bucking the trend of the internet/IoT/cloud, combined with cheap hardware (display etc) will open up a world of smart, task-specific devices that don't suffer from the problems our current phones and computers have... ie spam and distractions everywhere, powerful hardware grinding to a halt due to security software, email taking 10 mins to load, popups stealing your attention etc. Personal assistants that can solve the hard problem of interpreting speech, but must have constant connectivity, and have crippled functionality. Taking a step back in some ways, but augmented in a way to be more useful. Inspired by Fall.

I don't have anything interesting or productive to add but I enjoyed this post. Thanks for writing it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I loved blindsight and some short story about planets silently trying to kill each other with meteors so don't invent radio. Im looking for more like that.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Harold Fjord posted:

some short story about planets silently trying to kill each other with meteors so don't invent radio.

I would like to know more. This sounds fantastic.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just got laid off. I’m wondering if there are any actually good books about determining a career path besides What Color Is Your Parachute. I’d really like to avoid corny self-helpy bullshit, and an author that can clearly explain how to figure out a way to find a job that doesn’t make you want to play in traffic. I find myself at a career crossroads and am fortunate enough to have a little less pressure in determining my next move, so anything that could help me organize my thoughts to that end would be really helpful.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

It's safe to assume you're going to like every other Pynchon novel.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

If you're looking for recommendations, the Book Barn discord might be a good place to ask:
https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006
I've been playing around with the recommendation engine on Goodreads and LibraryThing, and I like how they play off the books you rate. Sometimes I just have no specific desire for anything in particular and need a bunch of options thrown at me that I wouldn't have otherwise known about.

Since I really like clicking through the "what's related" tab and discovering random stuff, are there any other places that are a good source of "automatic" recommendations?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

I was hoping for some guidance on choosing a non-fiction about poker. I already know how to play, but would like to learn more and improve. I would normally just dive in at the library, but the VIRUS has taken that pleasure from me. If I am going to be buying one or two blind, I would love any manner of direction.

I swear there used to be a poker sub-sub-forum, but I cannot find it.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Matlack Radio posted:

I was hoping for some guidance on choosing a non-fiction about poker. I already know how to play, but would like to learn more and improve. I would normally just dive in at the library, but the VIRUS has taken that pleasure from me. If I am going to be buying one or two blind, I would love any manner of direction.

I swear there used to be a poker sub-sub-forum, but I cannot find it.

Theres a thread now. not super busy but youll still get good recs there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504125&pagenumber=93&perpage=40

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Muchas gracias.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Can’t remember if I’ve asked this before but does anyone have recs for books set in or about 19th working class scotland? Fic or non fic.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I’m looking for some fluffy sci-fi/fantasy, preferably with a gay/bi male lead? Something really escapist. Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet’s been suggested several times in this thread and it sounds like something I’m looking for.

I guess I’m also trying to find some stories with a big cast of fleshed out supporting characters, possibly with a really well-realized setting. I’ve been reading through the Gaunt’s Ghosts series by Dan Abnett and that’s kind of been hitting me with the feeling of what I’ve been wanting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Have you read Murderbot yet? Go read Murderbot

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Circutron posted:

I’m looking for some fluffy sci-fi/fantasy, preferably with a gay/bi male lead? Something really escapist. Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet’s been suggested several times in this thread and it sounds like something I’m looking for.

I guess I’m also trying to find some stories with a big cast of fleshed out supporting characters, possibly with a really well-realized setting. I’ve been reading through the Gaunt’s Ghosts series by Dan Abnett and that’s kind of been hitting me with the feeling of what I’ve been wanting.

I recently started rereading Diane Duane's Middle Kingdom fantasy series (The Door into Fire, The Door into Shadow, The Door into Sunset) and you might enjoy them.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
I have just finished reading 'Hunt for Red October'. Highly recommend it. If you are interested in Cold War politics, military, espionage then it is a great book. I watched the movie straight after and it definitely wasn't as good as the book.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

NGC773 posted:

I have just finished reading 'Hunt for Red October'. Highly recommend it. If you are interested in Cold War politics, military, espionage then it is a great book. I watched the movie straight after and it definitely wasn't as good as the book.

Red Storm Rising is a pretty great book too. Really captures the 80's Cold War flashpoint vibe.

Clancy is generally categorized under "chud" and most books/games/movies/shows with his name on them are pretty bad, but his early stuff is fun to read if you're into late 20th century military history.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NGC773 posted:

I watched the movie straight after and it definitely wasn't as good as the book.

I have never understood why so many people back then said "This character would absolutely positively not have a Scottish accent. I know, let's cast Sean Connery!"

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

My one weird trick for Clancy is to stop after Clear and Present Danger. That's still the one I like best from early Clancy, I feel it did the best job at the things he was good at

Or you can do the Dune thing and stop whenever you get bored because after a certain point each book gets worse.

Khizan posted:

I have never understood why so many people back then said "This character would absolutely positively not have a Scottish accent. I know, let's cast Sean Connery!"

Wasn't that made in the 80's? If I recall correctly Highlander was another 80's classic where Sean Connery played... an Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The general rule of thumb in my opinion at least is that Clancy was good when he was writing during the Cold War. Once the Soviet Union fell things get real iffy

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sarern posted:

My one weird trick for Clancy is to stop after Clear and Present Danger. That's still the one I like best from early Clancy, I feel it did the best job at the things he was good at

Or you can do the Dune thing and stop whenever you get bored because after a certain point each book gets worse.

Wasn't that made in the 80's? If I recall correctly Highlander was another 80's classic where Sean Connery played... an Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard.
I remember lots of articles at the time quoting Connery about how his accent was so thick as a young man, people mistook it for Russian or Polish. But really I think it fits right in with that whole era of "all 'bad guy' accents sound British".

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

“shome thingsh dont react sho well with bulletsh.”

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Does anyone have any recommendations for historical fiction that doesn't take place in either Europe or the US?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for historical fiction that doesn't take place in either Europe or the US?

Shogun from James Clavell is the obvious recommendation if you haven't read it yet.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Haven't gotten to Shogun yet, but it is on the to-read list.

And now because I think this might come up as the other obvious recommendation, I will note that I've already read (and enjoyed) Pachinko.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" is really good, though has a strong European undercurrent. It takes place in the Dutch trading zone of Japan in the 1700s. The first half of the book is from the POV of the titular character, but despite the setup it does a good job of avoiding the "White Savior" trope as the 2nd half breaks away. It's more fiction than historical as it leans into some fantastic/mystical cult stuff that fits into the larger world that Mitchell writes about. It's a good starting place for him though.

Not exactly what you were asking for but it's a really good novel and I am a big Mitchell fan so I like to butt in with recommendations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

IBroughttheFunk posted:

How about mysteries?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dee

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

If you get past the first 200 pages, The Egyptian may be enjoyable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Haven't gotten to Shogun yet, but it is on the to-read list.

And now because I think this might come up as the other obvious recommendation, I will note that I've already read (and enjoyed) Pachinko.

Shogun is good but it's *extremely* western-perspective, like, oh god so much it hurts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

loving westerners, always writing from a western perspective. And don't get me started on Ahmad ibn Fadlan, writing about other cultures from his Arabic perspective. What a bum.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

loving westerners, always writing from a western perspective. And don't get me started on Ahmad ibn Fadlan, writing about other cultures from his Arabic perspective. What a bum.

This is a hell of a take with that redtext.

The person is specifically asking for books that aren't about Europe, noting the western perspective seems reasonable.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Do you consider Russia European?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The Years of Rice and Salt is about the fictional historical destruction of Europe so... does that work?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk is set in the 16th century Ottoman empire. Starts off kinda like a crime novel then turns into something else.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Aztec by Gary Jennings is some wild poo poo and fairly historically accurate from what I've read.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Life and death are tearing me apart by Mo Yan, a (current government approved) critical eye at chinese society from the rise of Maoism to the 1990s from the perspective of a feudal lord that’s killed and subsequently resurrected as a bunch of different animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Lockback posted:

"Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet"

Fruits of the sea posted:

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Human Tornada posted:

Aztec by Gary Jennings

ulvir posted:

Life and death are tearing me apart by Mo Ya

Thanks so much for all of the recommendations, everyone! These look great.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Shogun is good but it's *extremely* western-perspective, like, oh god so much it hurts.

Yeah, I could kinda feel that when I read Tai-Pan a while ago, which is one reason that Shogun has lingered on the to-read-later list for a while.

cda posted:

Do you consider Russia European?

I do, but I am still happy to hear any title(s) that you want to suggest.

tuyop posted:

The Years of Rice and Salt is about the fictional historical destruction of Europe so... does that work?

I wasn't necessarily thinking about alternate history at the time, but this looks really interesting, so I appreciate the recommendation!

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 7, 2020