Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just got my very first blue rose, yay!

Thanks very much to all goons who watered!

Details of how I got there for people who are interested:

It's really important to understand how the genetics work, how cloning works, and how breeding works (specifically how flowers choose whether to breed or not, and how they choose a breeding partner, or clone if there is no partner). If you don't, I recommend reading a good guide like this one: https://yuexr.github.io/acnh/garden.html#cloning and also using the flower breeding calculator here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalCrossing/comments/g31nbw/i_made_a_complete_hybrid_flower_probability/

DO NOT JUST USE RANDOM GUIDES YOU FIND, THERE IS A LOT OF MISLEADING INFORMATION!! This guide I linked above is absolutely 100% correct as far as I can tell, and other goons have used it to good results.

And for layouts I just used "Isolated pairs" and "2x2" from this guide: https://yuexr.github.io/acnh/garden_layouts.html

For reference I used the Asteriation 4-step method from here: https://yuexr.github.io/acnh/bluerose.html - I was ready to go into the "Asteriation Genepool method" which takes any reds/blacks/oranges you get from the hybrid reds, clone them, and breed the clones with themselves, but I got lucky and the first day I had any decent number of hybrid reds out breeding with themselves (~24 pairs) I got a blue directly!

I started out with purples + seed reds (I already had the purples from a failed attempt at using another, faulty method - and I had checked that potentially unsure genetics of my purples would not mess me up) and from that stage, planting 30 pairs, it took me 12 days in total, with near-full visitor watering. I suspect it would have added on maybe 3-4 days if I'd started with whites->purples. I'd have planted 30 pairs of whites. When I started out I planted a bunch of seed yellows in a spot away from my breeding area so that they could mature and be ready for breeding with special pinks later.

At some stages I did more of a "cloning day" where I set out the results from one stage and cloned them to get more, so once I had a number of the special pinks from the purple+red stage, I cloned them, then once I had ~12 hybrid reds I cloned them and doubled up.

Also I had a "watering area" by the airport which I asked people to water, and at its largest I think it had around 60 pairs to water (I was doing purple pansies at the same time so not all of those were roses), and then when I moved flowers out of the main area I replanted them somewhere else - so I had pink+purples, watering them myself, still spawning hybrid reds at a lower rate to feed into the main breeding zone - I did get at least a few reds out of this.

Once you understand how it all works, it's still a lot of work. Each day is a process of:

- Go to breeding area, dig up any unwanted breeding results and trash them (keep a garbage bin nearby).
- Dig up new desired flowers from breeding results and cloning, redistribute.
- Make sure that the right flowers are kept separate from others - so that you know which flowers come from which type of breeding pair (e.g. you might have some purple and reds breeding to give you special pink, and then because you already got some special pinks from previous breeding, some of those plus seed yellows to give hybrid reds... SO any pinks you get from the purples and reds are good and wanted, but any pinks you get from the yellow & special pinks are unknown genetics and therefore trash, so it's VERY important not to mix otherwise you're gonna end up with unknown genetics at one stage of your breeding process and basically have to start over).
- Generally dig and replant flowers to make sure you know exactly what you're getting, that you're cloning the right things, etc.
- Also make sure flowers are arranged in a way which makes it easy for visitors to water - visitors, in the aggregate, are bad at watering. They will miss stuff if you don't lay things out and make it very easy for them. Unless you have very few flowers in a very simple arrangement, count on it taking 8-10 visitors before most of your flowers have the gold sparkles which mean they are fully watered.

And then I also made sure I gave people lots of reasons to come to my island - I listed which DIY was being crafted, gave people a free gold watering can for coming (I bought 30 gold nuggets off Nookazon for 1m bells), put out some free crafted DIY items like Ironwood kitchenettes/cupboards, Tall Lanterns, Hyacinth Lamps, Stone Lion-Dogs, cool stuff like that (all of which people might not have the recipe and/or materials for, or which use a lot of materials like stone), which I would replenish each day. Plus I set up a cataloguing area which I expanded a few times with new items to get people coming back. I also listed any interesting items at Nooks and Ables, plus things like if there was a meteor shower, if Saharah was here (I would trap her in one place), and listing any good free DIYs I had out and asking people to bring cool ones - this was great because people often brought Ironwood/Golden DIYs which are quite a draw to people who need them.

Seems excessive but I had separate people tell me that they came for the villager DIY, that they came for the dresses in Able's, that they came for a particular DIY I had listed which was out on the ground, for the gold watering cans, for the cataloguing stuff, or for a specific free/DIY crafted item I had made - so everything makes a difference.

I would say all of this took me a couple of hours each day, plus then time opening the island up and waiting for visitors (but you can be mostly AFK for that).

So all in all, I recommend the Aster 4 step method - it doesn't require testing and messing around with that stuff and then when you get to the end-stage you can just brute force it by getting loads of hybrid reds, if you're willing to take up a little space, OR you can then continue it into more targeted breeding to get higher chances (by turning it into the Aster Genepool method, which is really just a continuation of the 4-step one).

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
growing flowers seems unnecessarily complicated for a game like this

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it rained 6 out of the last 7 days on my island and as a result i have completely lost control of my flower situation

My island is just trashy with flowers. In the beginning I was so happy, planting them where I wanted them, accidentally getting hybrids from rain or villagers watering them, and moving those where I wanted. Then before I knew it the things just sprouted everywhere, all my dirt paths are covered in flowers, trees are so surrounded by flowers nothing will drop from them, flowers all the way down. I'm going to buy a bunch of shovels and dig them all up and sell so many, then I'll plant the ones I want into fenced-in areas.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
Renewing the call for the following two users who requested Blue Roses:

Sriracha Tiger
Hobo Clown

Please respond with a time to get these to you!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Will flowers spread on days where you don't open the game?

night slime
May 14, 2014
The otter guy sucks...gives me nothing but pearls that I can't use because he only gave me a DIY the first day and today he gave me some lovely tiara. gently caress off dude I'm gonna lace your (sea)weed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it rained 6 out of the last 7 days on my island and as a result i have completely lost control of my flower situation

I'm considering putting patterns down around all the flowers I don't want to grow at the expense of how my island looks for a bit becasue it keeps raining so I can't control which flowers specifically get priority. It also sucks because I like the rain IRL so I find the rain in this game relaxing... except how it messes up flower growing

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Macaluso posted:

I'm considering putting patterns down around all the flowers I don't want to grow at the expense of how my island looks for a bit becasue it keeps raining so I can't control which flowers specifically get priority. It also sucks because I like the rain IRL so I find the rain in this game relaxing... except how it messes up flower growing

You can put down a fully transparent pattern if you want to block flower growth without any visual impact! The final colour in the custom designer (with the angled lines) is transparent.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Waffle! posted:

Since the swimming update, people have been able to circumvent airport barriers by jumping off the dock. It doesn't matter on my island, but if you have turnips laying around or rare hybrids you don't want people messing with, you're going to have to reassess your island's security.

Legit question, are there that many scammers online that arrive on islands and try to circumvent barriers people put up for trade and just go like...pick flowers or something? Or hope that they have items laying all around? And can't people stop them by simply hard resetting their game if they go straight for jumping off the docks?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Some people like to open their island and go afk, so wouldn't notice people jumping the barriers. And yes, some people, will grief you in this game if they can.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Some noob shook a bunch of my roommates money trees that he had left around decoratively. So yeah, people wreck poo poo. luckily this game doesn't have a leaderboard so there's no real loss other than maybe a few days worth of growing a new tree.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Willsun posted:

Legit question, are there that many scammers online that arrive on islands and try to circumvent barriers people put up for trade and just go like...pick flowers or something? Or hope that they have items laying all around? And can't people stop them by simply hard resetting their game if they go straight for jumping off the docks?

If I had gold roses and some rando showed up to trample and pluck them, I'd be pissed! Same if they scooped up my item dump just to sell everything off in my shop. That's rude.

On the other side, gently caress all of those turnip market trolls that demand high tributes just to visit their shops. I hope Nintendo never patches it.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 6, 2020

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this really is the month of bugs

I feel like I have captured like a million different beetles and cicadas, and yet somehow I still have four left

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

and also, gently caress the time window for that scarab, I’m actually considering time travelling just for that one

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Across fish/bugs/sea creatures there are ~~~seven~~~ new ones in August. Much better than this month's....uh, like 50+. Granted I think there is supposed to be a second summer update around August 3 so who knows what we'll get then

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Last night I managed to complete my museum collection of rare beetles. I think that means I've basically won, right?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I think it's kinda neat that flower breeding is basically just a high school biology lesson in practice. Blue roses are really the only colour that require meticulous attention, though, the other difficult flowers are mostly just a function of time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Except that none of it is intuitive and requires a datamined guide to accomplish what you want.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

He left it in your wetsuit.

Sometimes it's a recipe, sometimes it's mermaid shoes or a mermaid dress. It can also just be a pearl.

Is there a secret for getting it out? Changing isn’t working.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems like they just made a couple of the flowers ridiculously difficult for the people who get real into the flower breeding minigame. I'm ignoring it because I have a million other kinds of flowers and there's no such thing as blue roses.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It seems pretty intentional that in each thing to do, they put in 95% to be super accessible and fun and easy, then 2-3 things that suck and require real dedication. Like 100%ing the fish probably requires farming hundreds, if not thousands, of bait, but if you just catch what the game gives you your museum will LOOK awesome.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it, like everything else in the game, is supposed to be a delightful surprise when you run into your first special flower by happenstance on week X0 of playing and not data-mined and min-maxed like a monster

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Is there a secret for getting it out? Changing isn’t working.

It should just appear in your inventory like the stuff everyone else gives you.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

Nessa posted:

It should just appear in your inventory like the stuff everyone else gives you.

Huh. Nothing.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh god damnit, of course

'K.K's not here, man.'

Off the back of this, my quick attempt at Earache My Eye:

http://nooknet.net/tunes?melody=b-a-g-z-b-a-g-z-d-s-d-s-b-s-s-z&title=Earache%20My%20Eye

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Huxley posted:

It seems pretty intentional that in each thing to do, they put in 95% to be super accessible and fun and easy, then 2-3 things that suck and require real dedication. Like 100%ing the fish probably requires farming hundreds, if not thousands, of bait, but if you just catch what the game gives you your museum will LOOK awesome.

100%ing the fish requires exactly 0 bait because running around a nook miles island scaring off the shadows you don’t want is just as (if not more) efficient than all that digging and crafting.

Still takes a lot of effort for some fish, no disagreement there.

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Huh. Nothing.

You’re absolutely sure you didn’t get a mermaid DIY, mermaid item, or a pearl (which would stack if you already have one btw)?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I've had blue roses since basically the beginning. I have a whole section filled with them. I didn't realize till today that they meant anything. The black roses are the ones I can't get to grow worth a poo poo. Is there some special recipe you need with blue?

But here's my real question. Can I invite a villager to my campsite if they're already living on my island? Basically so I can use an amiibo to gift a villager to someone else.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

benisntfunny posted:

I've had blue roses since basically the beginning. I have a whole section filled with them. I didn't realize till today that they meant anything. The black roses are the ones I can't get to grow worth a poo poo. Is there some special recipe you need with blue?

But here's my real question. Can I invite a villager to my campsite if they're already living on my island? Basically so I can use an amiibo to gift a villager to someone else.

The flowers have hidden genetics which influence what can breed from them.

Yeah so if you start from just seed reds/whites/yellows it is at least a case of 5 breeding steps to get to blue - simplest path is:

Seed White + Seed White = Purple (25% chance)
Purple + Seed Red = Special Pink (50% chance) - note the other 50% kicks out a "bad red" which is not useful, and the pink that results from this has different genetics than the "basic pink" you get directly from Red + White.
Special Pink + Seed Yellow = Special Hybrid Red (1/8 chance).
Special Hybrid Red x2 = Blue (1/64 chance).

Most other methods can kick out "bad" versions of a colour - i.e. ones which are the colour you want, but have genetics which will never lead to blue (so e.g. there is a method which gives you a 50% chance of a "good" and "bad" purple).

Blacks are easy - Seed Red + Seed Red = Black (25% chance) - note with the 25% chance that is, if you have 2x seed reds next to each other, and one of them decides to breed (% chance based on how many visitors have watered) then the offspring of that pair will, 1 in 4 times, be a black.

Note however if you use reds which aren't from seeds, they may have different genetics which make black roses as a result less likely.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

runchild posted:

100%ing the fish requires exactly 0 bait because running around a nook miles island scaring off the shadows you don’t want is just as (if not more) efficient than all that digging and crafting.

Still takes a lot of effort for some fish, no disagreement there.

You’re absolutely sure you didn’t get a mermaid DIY, mermaid item, or a pearl (which would stack if you already have one btw)?

I got one the first time. Seen him three since then.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

benisntfunny posted:

If you need black roses I have a poo poo-ton that I need to get rid of. Would be happy to donate several tens of the things.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seems like they just made a couple of the flowers ridiculously difficult for the people who get real into the flower breeding minigame. I'm ignoring it because I have a million other kinds of flowers and there's no such thing as blue roses.

You can just do what I did and breed everything yourself except the "gently caress you" complex ones, and then shamelessly beg for those.

And then have your island taken over by blue roses please halp. :supaburn:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Blue roses are important for helping to recreate flags in a rose garden...

Also they're worth just as much to sell as gold roses while being able to self-replicate. They generate as much value as a foreign fruit tree, while requiring less space. Just gotta box in their fields with paths. I'm definitely going to use the transparent path trick to start boxing in flower fields

The Door Frame posted:

Hod up, flowers are worth selling? Those fuckers are consuming my island

Blue/Gold rose worth 1k/2days vs fruit tree 1.5k/3days
Black roses and some other hybrids are around 220 I think. Most flowers aren't really worth much.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 6, 2020

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Hod up, flowers are worth selling? Those fuckers are consuming my island

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Dom sent me a piece of art in the mail yesssss.

Oh it's the one authentic statue I already have. T-thanks Dom. Anyone have a spare authentic artwork they'd wanna swap for an authentic ancient statue? Hell I'd even swap it for a fake ancient statue.

I got a few spares (Common painting for sure) of legit paintings if you might want one of them in exchange. I can peep what I've got in a bit!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i sent you a friend request, toss open those gates and i can be right over

Sorry. Got caught up in some work poo poo. I can open up now if you’re around. Otherwise we can catch up later.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How many times do I have to hit a villager with the net to get them to want to leave my island? I know you have to do it 3 times, but like how many sets of 3?

I'm trying to get Antonio to move. Tom Nook moved him onto my island without asking me and I already have a jock type that I like (Coach).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's random

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

x

Chronicler of Dongs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 7, 2020

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

benisntfunny posted:

Share them blues, bro!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

redcheval posted:

I got a few spares (Common painting for sure) of legit paintings if you might want one of them in exchange. I can peep what I've got in a bit!

Sure just tell me which ones when you get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

How many times do I have to hit a villager with the net to get them to want to leave my island? I know you have to do it 3 times, but like how many sets of 3?

I'm trying to get Antonio to move. Tom Nook moved him onto my island without asking me and I already have a jock type that I like (Coach).

It's random but slightly influenced by your friendship level with your villagers. Hitting them three times with a new lowers friendship by 3 points. If you clobber them until they no longer allow you to give them a gift in conversation then you'll be at the lowest friendship level, but even then it can take a frustrating amount of time for them to ask to move.