Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Like we already know they had Akira and Galaxy models, just chuck a couple of them in the fleet and it's suddenly "oh poo poo, Starfleet has really stepped up their shipbuilding game!" instead of "oh look, the effects guy found copy and paste :effort:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

Like we already know they had Akira and Galaxy models, just chuck a couple of them in the fleet and it's suddenly "oh poo poo, Starfleet has really stepped up their shipbuilding game!" instead of "oh look, the effects guy found copy and paste :effort:"

And waaaaay in the back, a lovely old Miranda, which explodes for no other reason than old times' sake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, a standardized fleet makes perfect sense but it's TV and it looks bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, a standardized fleet makes perfect sense but it's TV and it looks bad.

If they're standardizing because they're more military or whatever, they should have different ships for different roles.

Toss in some defiants or whatever, give them a cool formation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
or, check it, just because it's 2020 and we have the render power to throw up a hojillion starships, doesn't mean we have to

maybe that scene would have been a lot more tense with one federation starship and one romulan starship. or even just a handful of ships on each side. make it so that all the orchids got used up dragging down a loving borg cube.

Timby posted:

It's literally the Sovereign class with the nacelle pylon directions reversed.

Timby I know you've got a beef with John Eaves, lord knows I loathe his stupid bolt-on torpedo launchers and poo poo, but the Sov looks way better than those loving turds

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Timby I know you've got a beef with John Eaves, lord knows I loathe his stupid bolt-on torpedo launchers and poo poo, but the Sov looks way better than those loving turds

Look at this poo poo:

It's a slightly flattened Sovereign, with the pylons reversed from a backwards direction to a frontwards one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That is a supremely ugly vessel.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It reminds me of some dumb macho pickup truck design

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfwiy9JQ-PI

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

These tempos are all wrong and it makes me mad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Look at this poo poo:

It's a slightly flattened Sovereign, with the pylons reversed from a backwards direction to a frontwards one.

Apparently this was the concept art.

Star Trek Online did a ship based on that years ago but changed it more from concept and honestly I think did it better.

Like, it actually has a shape. When STO does a concept better than the TV show it's kinda sad.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 6, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Like, it actually has a shape. When STO does a concept better than the TV show it's kinda sad.

If I had the time and patience, I'd Photoshop this, but basically you don't need to do much besides make the neck taller and move the saucer farther forward and it would be a perfectly logical design evolution of the Excelsior class.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nm.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, what was the newest Federation ship class we saw before Picard? Was it the Prometheus? The Nova debuted after it but it had been around for at least a few years by then.

(future ships notwithstanding)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 6, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Enterprise J :smug:

e: drat you!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Look at this poo poo:

Hang on a gently caress.

During the launch era of star trek online, before they managed to get slightly less awful designers and revamp a lot of the game, a lot of the ships had really really bad alternative skins. A lot of the time with newer versions of the ships you can't even use those parts, they were terrible, and they've kinda been forgotten about.

Anyway, one of the alternative sovereign class deisigns was the Imperial class.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Why would the UFP call a ship design 'Imperial'?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, so it looks like there were three classes of ship in Riker's fleet. The Seeker-class, the Inquiry-Class, and the Equity class.

Years ago, John Eaves did a bunch of concept art for Star Trek Online back when it was being made by a different company that flopped before release, and it looks like the same concept art must've gotten reused for Picard.

So this concept art:

Was used to make this, in Picard:

As well as this in Star Trek Online.

While presumably another piece of concept that they must've taken from STO was responsible for these two shitbergs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 6, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Hang on a gently caress.

During the launch era of star trek online, before they managed to get slightly less awful designers and revamp a lot of the game, a lot of the ships had really really bad alternative skins. A lot of the time with newer versions of the ships you can't even use those parts, they were terrible, and they've kinda been forgotten about.

Anyway, one of the alternative sovereign class deisigns was the Imperial class.

Much as I loathe Eaves, he's off the hook for this one. The forward pylon sweep was in his Sovereign concept sketches for First Contact.

Thom12255 posted:

Or "Sovereign" for that matter. That (and about 50 other things in the design) always rubbed me the wrong way.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 6, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know, I was talking about the entire engineering section ribbing and deflector, they're identical to Zhang He, far too much to be coincidental.

Thom12255 posted:

Well the ship was a variation of the Sovereign, so...

Of course, Sovereign isn't a great name either.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 6, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I know, I was talking about the entire engineering section ribbing and deflector, they're identical to Zhang He, far too much to be coincidental.

Well the ship was a variation of the Sovereign, so...

Of course, Sovereign isn't a great name either.

Ohhh, hurf I wasn't even looking at the rest of the ship. Though now that you mention it, I knew the nacelles on this one

looked familiar

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Them's some gently caress ugly ships.
When did everything start looking like poo poo drawn in a highschooler's math book?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Lizard Combatant posted:

Them's some gently caress ugly ships.
When did everything start looking like poo poo drawn in a highschooler's math book?

Modern Tech has made people get lazy when designing stuff with CGI I thinks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My guess is:

"It has to look new and different."

"No, not like that! Where's the Star Trek Enterprise?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

For all we know, Zelda Ann Imperial was the third President of the Federation and saw it through some difficult transitional years.

McSpanky posted:

Or "Sovereign" for that matter.

Bob Sovereign, inventor of the GNDN conduit. :buddy:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Obviously, it was designed at the Andorian Imperial Shipyards.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m going to post this again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

https://youtu.be/OlNIxW_2l4E

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The_Doctor posted:

I’m going to post this again.

Doug Marcaida-rear end space station

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ryan North set up a GPT-3 bot to come up with new summaries for trek episodes based on input titles. Hits most of the same notes as TNG seasons 8

https://twitter.com/StarTrekAI/status/1280115540560719872

https://twitter.com/StarTrekAI/status/1279446525328801799

https://twitter.com/StarTrekAI/status/1279432504038965254

sometimes it overfits a little

https://twitter.com/StarTrekAI/status/1280172655799304193

or just comments on it

https://twitter.com/StarTrekAI/status/1279807499764260865

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hot take: from the limited angles I've seen it at, I really like the Ambassador-class.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hot take: from the limited angles I've seen it at, I really like the Ambassador-class.

The Ambassador is neat, I wish we'd seen some derivatives of it in the Constitution-Miranda manner. Didn't care for the Yamaguchi modifications though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Edit: after re-reading I saw you said Ambassador and not Nebula as I somehow read it.

It looks silly and kitbashed to the extent that you wonder why Starfleet didn't just pay the extra to just add a neck and make another Galaxy class.

That's why I love it, because all those ship variants fit perfectly into my view that Starship design is a big make-work program for their engineers. The A-teams pump out Galaxy, Sovereign, and Intrepid class designs. The B-teams pump out stuff like the Nebula class.

Edit resume:

In my head the Ambassador class is the original concept art, now that was a beautiful ship.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Edit: after re-reading I saw you said Ambassador and not Nebula as I somehow read it.

It looks silly and kitbashed to the extent that you wonder why Starfleet didn't just pay the extra to just add a neck and make another Galaxy class.

That's why I love it, because all those ship variants fit perfectly into my view that Starship design is a big make-work program for their engineers. The A-teams pump out Galaxy, Sovereign, and Intrepid class designs. The B-teams pump out stuff like the Nebula class.

Edit resume:

In my head the Ambassador class is the original concept art, now that was a beautiful ship.

In my head canon the Nebulas are reinforced for planetary landings, per the stocky rearrangement of the main components and the thick spoiler piece to shift the center of gravity so the saucer doesn't tip the ship over.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Edit resume:

the Yamaguchi refit's not bad either

ST:O has this weirdo listed too, the Narendra refit:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ambassador class, best class.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ST:O has this weirdo listed too, the Narendra refit:

That's Andrew Probert's original Ambassador design, which is pretty baller in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

McSpanky posted:

In my head canon the Nebulas are reinforced for planetary landings, per the stocky rearrangement of the main components and the thick spoiler piece to shift the center of gravity so the saucer doesn't tip the ship over.

It's a hatchback. Can't honestly call smaller than the Galaxy-class sedan, but it's more compact.