Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

lol they megasized the magical disappearing Kaepernick contract

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1280283087688077314

well that's stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

D-LINK posted:

1 player : 25% of the cap

A cap that is sure to grow

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--or for the cap to dramatically outgrow what I believe it will, which is possible.

Spoeank posted:

lol they megasized the magical disappearing Kaepernick contract

2027 is hilarious.

I honestly believe Brett Veach thinks Mahomes is the second coming (and I am not inclined to disagree with him), but this is sorta structured for him to be fired before things go sideways here and the next guy having to cut or freeze out the franchise savior.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don’t think Lamar Jackson is a chud necessarily, but he’s exhibiting chuddy behavior with this rona idiocy and puffing up Trump.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pat Mahomes could now fund a single year of a top end F1 team's budget with his entire guarantee

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

kiimo posted:

A cap that is sure to grow

They're gonna have to borrow against future cap money to cover this year without fans, if they even get a full season of t.v. The cap might go down or stay static for years depending on how the plague shakes out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

^^--or for the cap to dramatically outgrow what I believe it will, which is possible.

2027 is hilarious.

I honestly believe Brett Veach thinks Mahomes is the second coming (and I am not inclined to disagree with him), but this is sorta structured for him to be fired before things go sideways here and the next guy having to cut or freeze out the franchise savior.

If Veach turns around and signs Chris Jones in the next 9 days they're gonna build Veach a statue

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lamar's always been kind of a dumbass tbh. Hopefully he grows out of it (before he gets himself or someone else killed)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

overthecap has details up, usually they take a day or two to get the info but this was quick:

https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

positive cap savings after 2022, 0 dead money after 2024.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

kiimo posted:

If Veach turns around and signs Chris Jones in the next 9 days they're gonna build Veach a statue

He can have a statue right now. The way he turned the defense around in 1 year was so remarkable and one of the best bursts of GMing I ever seen

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think anybody has talked about how Leigh Steinberg virtually came out of forced retirement for alcoholism/bankruptcy and one of his early clients on the way back in was Mahomes.

Have to think this skyrockets him right back to the top of the list.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

D-LINK posted:

1 player : 25% of the cap

Just curious, what % of a team's success would you place on an elite QB?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ScottHanson/status/1280295541184720897

crosby universally beloved

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

are we really that hasty to say Mahomes is "elite"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People are universally indifferent to Trout does that count?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

are we really that hasty to say Mahomes is "elite"

I thought I might have been underselling it tbh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/StoneColdJones/status/1280294840597712901

I mean he needs to say this. But still. I think something is brewing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love him

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

anybody that knows more about baseball than r be eyes appreciates the gently caress out of our Mickey Mantle.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

anybody that knows more about baseball than r be eyes appreciates the gently caress out of our Mickey Mantle.

he keeps getting better and idk how

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

There's been an infographic passed around for several years now that no team that's spent more than 21% of their cap on a QB has ever won a SB with the recent examples being Rodgers, Wilson, Brees and Ryan, and historically P manning. QBs only started getting paid way more than other positions starting with PFM

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Also the thing about KC's sala

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

D-LINK posted:

There's been an infographic passed around for several years now that no team that's spent more than 21% of their cap on a QB has ever won a SB with the recent examples being Rodgers, Wilson, Brees and Ryan, and historically P manning. QBs only started getting paid way more than other positions starting with PFM

I've seen this. So Pat's new contract kicks in after two more seasons and the Chiefs have everybody but Jones under contract. Theoretically they have a SB winning team for the next two years and could get three rings before the contract takes off.

I'd gladly only get 3 superbowls and 12 years of watching Mahomes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
r/nfl seems to be settling on this being a bad deal for Mahomes. Now I need the "greedy player" takes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Just re: the elite talk, if Mahomes puts up another season comparable to the last 2 is it even premature to start talking generational talent?

Imo elite QBs are like 1-3, maybe 1-5 depending on the year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was sayin this is a hometown discount. He got 63m today. He'll get another 103m by next March. It's still a team-friendly deal.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Universally beloved means never won poo poo. Be hated because you win. Don't be Barry Sanders or Joe Thomas

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think anyone would hate an offensive lineman even if he won every super bowl ever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

kiimo posted:

I don't think anybody has talked about how Leigh Steinberg virtually came out of forced retirement for alcoholism/bankruptcy and one of his early clients on the way back in was Mahomes.

Have to think this skyrockets him right back to the top of the list.

what list? the poo poo list?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alaois posted:

I don't think anyone would hate an offensive lineman even if he won every super bowl ever

Kyle Turley

Richie Incognito

J'Marcus Webb

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hifi posted:

what list? the poo poo list?

This does seem like an appropriate name for the best agents list

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Alaois posted:

Matt Birk

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1280300229556940800?s=21

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kyle Turley

Richie Incognito

J'Marcus Webb

nobody hates those guys because they're really good at being offensive linemen, they hate them because they're horrible shithead people

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

I've seen this. So Pat's new contract kicks in after two more seasons and the Chiefs have everybody but Jones under contract. Theoretically they have a SB winning team for the next two years and could get three rings before the contract takes off.

I'd gladly only get 3 superbowls and 12 years of watching Mahomes.

That's fair enough. It's just an astounding amount of money. He brought a championship to a team with a 50 year drought, and the way it seems is that he could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow, and that sets the price of a SB win at $140mil. That does seem reasonable to me, I guess

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Speak for yourself gently caress that guy GOMS

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

This is my point, that guarantees suck, the signing bonus sucks, and what good is it if you have 60MM in salary coming in in 2027 when you can get cut before that with 0 dead money

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Speak for yourself gently caress that guy GOMS

Trout and Ohtani BFFs

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

D-LINK posted:

That's fair enough. It's just an astounding amount of money. He brought a championship to a team with a 50 year drought, and the way it seems is that he could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow, and that sets the price of a SB win at $140mil. That does seem reasonable to me, I guess

10 years ago our QB depth chart was Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle and Tyler Palko.

KC is gonna hero worship Mahomes worse than the state of Nebraska did with Tom Osborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On this same direction kinda, Connor McDavid is arguably (probably) the best player in the NHL right now and no one cares at all other than pointing at highlights he single handedly puts together on an awful team and going 'oh that's cool.'

Oh hey, just looked at the last standings and they weren't so awful this year, good for the Oilers. I never pay attention until the playoffs.