Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah but those are hard and I don't think they even drop new loot boxes anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sekenr posted:

Didn't it work for them for a while financially with issues and cosmetics shop?

TSW's story content was incredibly expensive to produce and every Issue was made at a loss. The only thing that actually made money were those cosmetic bags. South Africa, as far as I know, suffered the same fate - expensive as hell and made no money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's a shame considering how many reused models there were. And also a filth Trex that didn't fit in at all but hey it exists let's use it

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The ending of Tokyo felt like an ok place to leave off if there was no more content. Loose ends remain, but winkingly acknowledged in game by saying these things are bigger than one person and will continue with or without you. But then SA has an actual "coming soon" ending and now the story feels unfinished. I don't know if they actually expected to followup or if they made any progress in that direction. Seems like they could finish it with an agent quest series that's just text based, then after the final agent mission give you a mission to teleport to a boss fight and wrap it up yourself. Kind of like the valentine's event.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ossipago posted:

The ending of Tokyo felt like an ok place to leave off if there was no more content. Loose ends remain, but winkingly acknowledged in game by saying these things are bigger than one person and will continue with or without you. But then SA has an actual "coming soon" ending and now the story feels unfinished. I don't know if they actually expected to followup or if they made any progress in that direction. Seems like they could finish it with an agent quest series that's just text based, then after the final agent mission give you a mission to teleport to a boss fight and wrap it up yourself. Kind of like the valentine's event.

*looks at the name of the thread*

I have absolutely no idea who to blame for that, it's a total mystery

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Monet. That bastard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The high point of Secret World: South Africa was stealing a cultist's bucket of crops and getting into a fistfight over it.

I like the narrative aspect and lore of this IP quite a lot but SA was something of a smelly fart on arrival. Shame.

Need more spinoff games like Moons of Madness. Wouldn't object to a souls-like game where you play a bee-touched.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
As someone who bought Lifetime after Secret World went buy to play I'm at this point just pretty done with Funcom in general. How they hosed up Conan Exiles just shows how little of a poo poo they give about their community, actually doing right by them, or anything really besides extracting more money. Not like any of this is new but I still liked their games to some extend and it makes me sad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Morglon posted:

As someone who bought Lifetime after Secret World went buy to play I'm at this point just pretty done with Funcom in general. How they hosed up Conan Exiles just shows how little of a poo poo they give about their community, actually doing right by them, or anything really besides extracting more money. Not like any of this is new but I still liked their games to some extend and it makes me sad.

What happened with Exiles? I haven't played it in like 2 years

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
A bunch of things but in general they cancelled the promised sorcery system, broke combat and movement, had a poll on their site, people voted to go back to the old system so they tweaked it slightly, another poll, same outcome, they told people to gently caress off, this also made harvesting more tedious, and the once good combat system where you could just weave in and out of range, dodge and avoid all damage is now one where heavy armor and shields are the only way to avoid taking damage which also doesn't do much since you often get swarmed and will just get sunlocked so essentially what you do now is get a Thrall to do all the work and just sit back because they're murdermachines although archery thralls may or may not still be broken. So the combat is now worse than Ark only instead of some cool dinos all you get is one dude and you do only get one instead however many you like because of course there's a limit on how many you can have. The movement nerf naturally impacts climbing and your ability to break your fall which makes getting around more tedious too. They did promise a toggle for the combat and movement system for the private servers when the heat was on and everybody hated it but of course that went out the window as soon as people stopped paying close attention to it.

Purges still don't work right and I think they've just disabled them with no word when they will be back, same goes for religion features, mainly avatar summoning. Pretty sure they never made archery viable without mods either. They also promised a new map ages ago and nothing has come from that yet, not even previews or anything.

There's a few other, smaller things I remember not being happy about at times but I'm too lazy to dig into it again and make a comprehensive list. Bundle all of that with their tendency to just flat out censor criticism and you get a company I don't want to give money to anymore. I remember a guy I used to play with back in the day getting forum banned for "excessive bug reporting" or some poo poo like that and there's people who got banned from the SWL beta for giving feedback too.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Anyone that claims they were banned just for 'giving feedback' was likely doing anything but, hth

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

novaSphere posted:

Anyone that claims they were banned just for 'giving feedback' was likely doing anything but, hth

Look, just because my feedback also involved telling them to stop being bad and fix their poo poo doesn't make the feedback less valid. Joel Bylos got to mock players who were experiencing a game breaking bug but got real defensive when called out for being a piece of poo poo dev

Source of being bad: the dev team couldn't kill Haughbui Mother before she exploded to recreate the bug where you got no loot if beat her

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Anniversary event is live. No new content (unless you count a shirt and a sprint cosmetic) but if you're playing the game for the first time the login rewards might be helpful.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i have such fond memories of this game. especially new england. it was so cozy

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
https://forums.funcom.com/t/a-balancing-act-open-beta-on-the-weekend-of-july-4th/128254 :piss:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does this mean all my healing gear is actually going to have a purpose again? When I reinstalled it finding out that healers didn't exist anymore pretty much out me off group content

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
We'll find out on saturday but it looks very much like my decision to keep a full set of legendary tank gear in the bank for 3 years finally pays off.

I can wear it for the coming forum war about the death of sustain tanks :v:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I spent a good chunk of time acquiring and leveling mythic BiS gear for both DPS and sustain tank metas and have had it for so long now, and there's no new content to really motivate me to re-gear if that's what this ends up necessitating. Like there's just no way I'm doing even half that grind again just to replay stale content. Hopefully they also make the gearing process drastically faster or I can see this burning out a lot of people.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Did they ever add scenarios to SWL? I remember beating them on nightmare and it at least made me feel like my diverse gear was worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Did they ever add scenarios to SWL? I remember beating them on nightmare and it at least made me feel like my diverse gear was worth it.

If by scenarios you mean the exact same batch from the original game only cut into smaller intervals yes

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
And if you mean a new type of scenario that doesn't suck from the ground up, then also yes :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

If by scenarios you mean the exact same batch from the original game only cut into smaller intervals yes
Oh man scenarios.

Remember when taking away people's cheevo reward skins they got from exploiting Funcom's precious scenarios was a priority for the devs because reasons :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
https://forums.funcom.com/t/rebalance-open-beta-july-4th-weekend-preliminary-patch-notes/128609
There's a lot of notes here, main takeaway so far (I've not finished reading them all) is that they've done away with keys for all the various chests :toot:

Edit: safe to say they're not tinkering around the fuckin edges here lol

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 4, 2020

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Who is still playing this game that they are doing a balance update?

There's one person streaming it on twitch with no viewers, a handful of active users on the forums, only a handful of people on reddit (a poll on who is attending the anniversary event only got 150 responses and only 49 accepts), and it averages 150 players at a time with 300 peak on steam for over a year.

The playerbase is more dead than Destiny on Stadia.

I'm shocked they even make enough from the few whales left to maintain the servers much less do new development.

Edit: There's like 10 people total giving feedback on the rebalancing forum. They have to be keeping it up at this point for some bizarre reasons completely unrelated to profitability like maintaining trademarks, training new developers, etc.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 5, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I don't know what to tell you, Agartha is honestly never short of people despite the endless claims that it's never had more than six concurrent steam users since 2018 :v:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I have no idea what the ratio of players using the steam client to the standalone client is, but it's never been exclusive to steam in either of the game's incarnations.

They still keep Conan and Anarchy on life support, so I'm not seeing an inconsistency in keeping Secret World's braindead corpse around.

Also, I'm really enjoying the post/avatar combo there.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Hello Sailor posted:

I have no idea what the ratio of players using the steam client to the standalone client is, but it's never been exclusive to steam in either of the game's incarnations.

It's pretty certain that most of the playerbase doesn't use the steam client. I don't think the re-release was even available on steam initially -- they had to work out a bunch of stuff re: microtransactions through steam in a relatively early-but-well-after-release patch.

In any case, I don't get the plan here either, but I still log into this game habitually to open my daily cache because of grandmaster :cripes: .

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hello Sailor posted:

They still keep Conan and Anarchy on life support, so I'm not seeing an inconsistency in keeping Secret World's braindead corpse around.

Also, I'm really enjoying the post/avatar combo there.

Yeah, I’ve been on both merry-go-rounds of this (making the op included each time) to bounce at pretty much the same point both times. Lifetime as well. I was honestly pretty hopefully for the reboot because surely they had a content roadmap after spending all the effort rebooting.

But they always Funcom it up. Just like with AoC. It’s really unfortunate because their games always have good story and concepts. They just suck at execution and post-launch support. Partially because of the ridiculous things they do to make developers hit the launch dates.

Tencent owning them now might actually be a good thing if it means they develop games with something resembling a full staff rather than a skeleton crew that all goes on PTO after launch.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
You have a lot of fundamental misunderstandings of what Funcom's problems are.

Most of their MMOs haven't made enough money to support further development properly, that's it, that's the problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah, I’ve been on both merry-go-rounds of this (making the op included each time) to bounce at pretty much the same point both times. Lifetime as well. I was honestly pretty hopefully for the reboot because surely they had a content roadmap after spending all the effort rebooting.

But they always Funcom it up. Just like with AoC. It’s really unfortunate because their games always have good story and concepts. They just suck at execution and post-launch support. Partially because of the ridiculous things they do to make developers hit the launch dates.

Tencent owning them now might actually be a good thing if it means they develop games with something resembling a full staff rather than a skeleton crew that all goes on PTO after launch.

Remember Christmas 2012 or Issue 6?

That Issue 6 bug pretty much killed the goon community because about half of the regulars suddenly couldn't play for a couple months

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

theflyingorc posted:

Most of their MMOs haven't made enough money to support further development properly, that's it, that's the problem.

AoC had some ridiculously large amount of players at launch though. If that count being too small is the reason devs fizzled out, then just what kind of player base did it need to be properly supported?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Most mmos got huge numbers at launch during the heyday of the genre but they only lasted for a month because everyone had a wow account and they weren't going to pay for two subscriptions at the same time :v:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

theflyingorc posted:

You have a lot of fundamental misunderstandings of what Funcom's problems are.

Bingo. I remember in Funcom’s first investor report after Secret World launched they said they had projected for 2 million users and ended up with only about 500k. It doesn’t take an economics expert to see why the budget suddenly got slashed.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Ossipago posted:

AoC had some ridiculously large amount of players at launch though. If that count being too small is the reason devs fizzled out, then just what kind of player base did it need to be properly supported?

AoC definitely had the massive crunch pre-launch followed by no support for months after launch. It released a broken mess and did not get fixed so it just hemorrhaged players. A reminder of some of the best bugs:
-Men and Women did drastically different damage because damage was tied to animation time and they had different animation length. Which gender was better was better for which class depending on build and a number of other factors.
-The majority of talents did absolutely nothing or gave bonuses so small they did not matter.
-Raid and dungeon bosses often had their scripted mechanics work correctly only on the first pull.
-Enemies could get permanently aggrod on you even through death. They would just camp your corpse. This was a major issue in some areas with unkillable enemies you were supposed to avoid.
-Loot drops were a small chance even from bosses
-Hard modes of open world zones were available in which all “bosses” dropped upgraded loot. This loot sold for huge amounts, the bosses respawned near instantly, and were super easy to kill. Many people had absolutely broken amount of money early on.
-Lol, Sieges

AoC was not a launch size problem. It was Funcom released a broken mess and did nothing to fix it for 6+ months.

I’ve never bought Funcom’s lines about not enough players at launch even with TSW. TSW did not have that big of a Dev team. The same few devs were handling way too many features. And just like AoC, minimal post-launch support/fixes. TSW had lots of issues in beta and about 3 months before launch, they pushed a patch that addressed many issues but there were still many bugs and missing content. Minus really minor changes, that was the version that made it to live. The first few issues just unlocked pieces of content but did little to address bugs and often introduced more.

Len posted:

Remember Christmas 2012 or Issue 6?

That Issue 6 bug pretty much killed the goon community because about half of the regulars suddenly couldn't play for a couple months

Yup. I had some real life poo poo that pulled me out a bit before that and I was just trying to come back during Issue 6.

I also remember Beaumont being 100% broken for people during the final quest for a while at launch.

Funcom games always struggle to retain players because of rampant game breaking bugs and no fixes for them. Yes, there are other contributing factors like lack of content updates but those lose people much slower than “I can’t play the loving game because my mandatory story mission boss is completely broken.”

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ossipago posted:

AoC is notorious for sucker punching you in game quality after a certain level, no?

Doesn't it suddenly go from high quality, voice acted quests to "get six rat tails" in plain text?

That's a recipe for those initial numbers cratering.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

With Conan they basically polished up the Tortage starter area that got you to level 20 to be genuinely impressive and then it dumped you out into a totally unfinished regular MMO after that.

Though my favorite part is they told everybody that they hadn't shown sieges in the beta to keep them "a surprise" and that they'd been thoroughly tested internally and were good to go and they hadn't.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

theflyingorc posted:

AoC is notorious for sucker punching you in game quality after a certain level, no?

Doesn't it suddenly go from high quality, voice acted quests to "get six rat tails" in plain text?

That's a recipe for those initial numbers cratering.

Yeah. At launch there was a small drop in quality after 20 and a massive drop at 50ish. There was an infamous stretch of levels in there where you had to grind a kill bounty in a cave for hours. The later zones were much prettier and better then the caves but still grindy and nothing like the early game.

By that point you also generally released all your skills are broken and stats don’t work at all (or reduced your damage lol). So you just ended up naked AoEing poo poo for hours. And your reward at the end of that were completely broken instances and raids with terrible drops that no one used.

AoC was a onion made of different flavors and consistency of poo poo that got worse every time you got to a new layer.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I can't think of many other companies that have such great, beloved IPs and squanders them so thoroughly. Like they really seemed to "get" the world of Conan, and SWL is an amazing spin on Lovecraftian poo poo. How do they attract so much talent and then mismanage it so badly? AoC did finally get sort of fixed over a period of several years, so it seems someone figured out what needed to be done and did it, but just too late. There's a great Harvard case study of how not to manage a business, somewhere in there.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cheston posted:

I miss running 18's and Slaughterhouse.
Me too.

Been hankering to reinstall the game and wander around by myself, but now my login info doesn't work on any of the Funcom websites and attempting to recover my password just tells me the username I already know, so... RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Entering your email into the lost password site sends you the username, entering the username sends you a temp password for that account (site only, not the game)

If you still can't log in then :shrug: