Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

jokes posted:

Vanilla would be an okay place to stop, narratively speaking. Mechanically getting 75 was/is a motherfucker, and you’d never see the same “what now” poo poo that WoW classic players have today. Plus the Dark Lord is actually still a pretty difficult boss, even if you’re not going in blind.

But hopefully, if there is a God, this would never happen. People should just play retail. You do all the same poo poo and it’s still slow but instead of 10 hours of grinding to level up after 3 hours of organizing a group, it’s like 30 minutes total with trusts. Instead of having to hoof it back and forth from the Dunes, you can just use the fast travel system which still requires you to dodge enemies and run out there at least once. Instead of having to kneel down and rest for MP for 5 minutes you can just have refresh on for an hour and rest a little bit here and there. You’ll still die, you’ll still get chased by goblins that kill you in 3 hits and make you delecel, etc. and you’ll still waste a lot of time just not NEARLY as much time.

It’s also, somehow, fun! I have never played FFXI endgame so I have no idea what that’s about.

It is also difficult to say what is "vanilla." FFXI wasn't released outside of Japan till the first expansion came out. The level cap was initially 50, but it was up to level 65 by the release of Zilart. People originally fought the Shadow Lord at level 50 when it was a real hell of a fight. I think of classic FFXI as being everything up to CoP, ToAU was a transition period where the game was getting a bit kinder and a little bit less of a grindfest (until Mythics anyways), and then WoTG and Abyssea bring us to the modern era of FFXI.

Classic FFXI is a poo poo game from any modern perspective I think, but I still feel the siren's call of CoP once in a while. That was a good time to play (probably because I was in high school).

(https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/The_History_of_Final_Fantasy_XI if anyone wants to see how FFXI has changed throughout the years, especially in the era before the Western release.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

blatman posted:

did they ever talk about a switch port

would that even work? I played this on a gpd win for awhile but good lord did that thing get hot after awhile. I assume the switch has better hardware but I also don't know what the wifi quality is like on the switch

They can't even move the PC client out of D3D8, there's no chance of it being ported to another system.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think most people identify CoP as Vanilla that I know and that’s deifnitely “Vanilla” to me.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Systematic System posted:

It is also difficult to say what is "vanilla." FFXI wasn't released outside of Japan till the first expansion came out. The level cap was initially 50, but it was up to level 65 by the release of Zilart. People originally fought the Shadow Lord at level 50 when it was a real hell of a fight. I think of classic FFXI as being everything up to CoP, ToAU was a transition period where the game was getting a bit kinder and a little bit less of a grindfest (until Mythics anyways), and then WoTG and Abyssea bring us to the modern era of FFXI.

Classic FFXI is a poo poo game from any modern perspective I think, but I still feel the siren's call of CoP once in a while. That was a good time to play (probably because I was in high school).

(https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/The_History_of_Final_Fantasy_XI if anyone wants to see how FFXI has changed throughout the years, especially in the era before the Western release.)

Yeah like I played the modern version in like 2018 and I let my AI teammates kill the shadow lord while I was looking at my phone. I just think it would be fun in a grindy old school mmo way to do the fight with 5 other players as intended

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Verbose posted:

Yeah like I played the modern version in like 2018 and I let my AI teammates kill the shadow lord while I was looking at my phone. I just think it would be fun in a grindy old school mmo way to do the fight with 5 other players as intended

Theres some private servers set to old era stuff but they all have their fair share of issues. You won't ever really get that same experience back but if an approximation is good enough eden is a pretty decent ffxi server set to aht urghan.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
SE has kind of been trying to implement the best parts of vanilla in the modern version, honestly. If you want to exp party, you can farm capacity points. If you want to do big hard boss fights, many of the classic ones like Divine Might, Ultima + Omega, etc all have fairly challenging i119 versions and most have endgame-relevant drops. poo poo, Dynamis divergence is basically old-school dynamis. There were some updated versions of old endgame events as well (salvage, limbus, etc) but they aren't really relevant or a challenge anymore - but it wouldn't surprise me if SE makes ilvl versions of those events as well - particularly salvage, einherjar, and nyzul I could easily see getting new versions, since the old ones are still relevant for making mythics.

Rather than needing to release a classic version that will die out in a few months when people realize they don't want to spend 3 hours grinding every night to make up for the one death that happened the other day, SE has chosen to recreate the best parts in the current game.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

CodfishCartographer posted:

but it wouldn't surprise me if SE makes ilvl versions of those events as well - particularly salvage, einherjar, and nyzul I could easily see getting new versions, since the old ones are still relevant for making mythics.

The very concept of "Item Level Nyzul" shakes me to my loving core.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dear FFXI thread, I quit back in like 2006 and I'm only here to ask if XI mobile is real, and if so, will it be single player plus the trust NPCs I've heard about, cause dear god would I ever play that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

blatman posted:

did they ever talk about a switch port

would that even work? I played this on a gpd win for awhile but good lord did that thing get hot after awhile. I assume the switch has better hardware but I also don't know what the wifi quality is like on the switch

I just got a GPD Win 2, other than the trash network card it runs this game way better than the original, I can even do the daily Domain Invasion.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dear FFXI thread, I quit back in like 2006 and I'm only here to ask if XI mobile is real, and if so, will it be single player plus the trust NPCs I've heard about, cause dear god would I ever play that.

Just some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/woGuUv5

Kazy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 7, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It keeps showing up as a future release in financial reports and stuff, so I'm sure it'll actually exist eventually

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I believe it's been said it'll be a different game than FFXI proper, I believe, but no idea if it'll be single player or what.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I believe it's been said it'll be a different game than FFXI proper, I believe, but no idea if it'll be single player or what.
I can dream. Game looks gorgeous, and I'd love to pay full price for a non-MMO XI. But maybe that's just the nostalgia talking.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can dream. Game looks gorgeous, and I'd love to pay full price for a non-MMO XI. But maybe that's just the nostalgia talking.

Honestly, current-day FFXI is non-MMO XI. You can play through every storyline solo fairly easily with any job, then just stop before doing any endgame poo poo that requires multiple people. The content will be very easy at max level, but it's fairly simple to difficulty-adjust by doing it at a low level, then if it's too hard solo just go spend a few minutes to grind out 5-10 levels and return. You can even ignore all the new fast travel options for the oldschool run-everywhere feel!

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I haven’t played this in years, I got blu to 99 and got some 117 gear then stopped. What kind of activities are there to do at cap that are solo friendly? The huge gear gate on group activities kind of overwhelmed me once I got to cap.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ort posted:

I haven’t played this in years, I got blu to 99 and got some 117 gear then stopped. What kind of activities are there to do at cap that are solo friendly? The huge gear gate on group activities kind of overwhelmed me once I got to cap.

Depends on your job. Jobs that are very good at soloing such as Red Mage, Ninja, Dancer, Beastmaster, Summoner, etc can solo quite a lot of endgame-relevant content with trusts. You obviously can't get the best-of-the-best gear solo, and doing things solo will be much slower than with a party, but it's possible.

As for "what kind" of activities are available - all storylines, a large variety of NM fights in Escha Zones and UNM fights, Ambuscade (a monthly-changing instanced boss fight), Omen (a series of challenge rooms where you're given randomized tasks, such as "do a magic burst of X damage" or "perform Y physical weapon skills"), and of course good ol' fashioned grinding for exp!

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 7, 2020

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I remember reading about some update in the last year that made one part of gearing up more solo friendly, was that a change to omen?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ort posted:

I remember reading about some update in the last year that made one part of gearing up more solo friendly, was that a change to omen?

Omen bosses are still extremely difficult to solo, but if you instead choose not to fight the bosses, the waves of enemies are fairly easy to farm solo for very good gil, and will get you cards for upgrading artifact armor (the usefulness of which varies from job to job)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Honestly, current-day FFXI is non-MMO XI. You can play through every storyline solo fairly easily with any job, then just stop before doing any endgame poo poo that requires multiple people. The content will be very easy at max level, but it's fairly simple to difficulty-adjust by doing it at a low level, then if it's too hard solo just go spend a few minutes to grind out 5-10 levels and return. You can even ignore all the new fast travel options for the oldschool run-everywhere feel!
...god, why would I ever do that?!

I would love to dust off my old account, and get some trust NPCs, and take BLM haha just kidding I would switch to BLU, gently caress my 14-year-old BLM75 from what I know about the new meta. A mobile port would presumably give you the fast travel options out of the gate and streamline item grinds a little, but the main attraction is not paying monthly honestly. I'd get sucked into the time sink either way.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 7, 2020

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Ort posted:

Take a look at Ambuscade because that is what I would be doing right now if I wasn't busy with City of Heroes for the next few months. I went through a lot of trouble taking the time to make reforged stuff and it seemed like the Ambuscade equipment was both better and easier to get quickly.

Last time I was playing I had finally gotten around to working on the ambuscade sword because eventually it enhances Savage Blade which is the Weapon Skill I love most. But it takes a lot more effort to upgrade it compared to the gear you wear so I would save it for last.

When I first reached 99 though I went through and finished all the main story missions and that was fun. Except Wings of the Goddess which I did parts of here and there and never finished because it's a giant pain in the rear end and if I'm going to do something I hate for long periods of time it's going to be for REMA weapons.

Since you're a Blue Mage you might want to look up any spells you could learn as you go along. I found that traveling to a place for mission story reasons feels a little more satisfying if you get to pick up some new blue magic while you're there. Beating Shinryu felt like the highlight of my Blue Mage's career thanks to learning Mighty Guard from him when otherwise I would have forgotten about that fight long ago.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Sigh, it was way easier to recover my account than anticipated. How do I get onto the right server with whatever transfer-player benefits matter? This Gold World Pass thing?

e: also what's the best way to get a key these days? 'cause I only have XI/RotZ/CoP/ToAU
e2: oh and is it still faster to download all the files via a torrent rather than use the official SE launcher to update a fresh install, or is that not the case now that PlayOnline is dead (rest in piss)
e3: and what's the goon LS? no further questions I promise

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 9, 2020

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sigh, it was way easier to recover my account than anticipated. How do I get onto the right server with whatever transfer-player benefits matter? This Gold World Pass thing?

if you're bringing a character from one server to another you pay for a transfer in your SE account. if it's a new character get a gold world pass.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

frodnonnag posted:

if you're bringing a character from one server to another you pay for a transfer in your SE account. if it's a new character get a gold world pass.
Bringing my char over, being level 75 looks like it'll save a bunch of time even if that time is "only" some leveling and free RoE progress and some mobility options and some storylines. I guess I did have RotZ/CoP cleared if I'm recalling correctly.

e:
:sickos:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 9, 2020

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Getting to 75 by yourself will probably take about 2-3 days. Getting to 75 with a goon to powerlevel you and to cheese you through the level cap quests would take you maybe a day, 2 if you all are feeling lazy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
But I have all kinds of teleport options available now!

(plus it's my lil taru from 2007 how could I not)

What's the goon LS?

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I don't know if there is a goon LS anymore, but I am playing again and I am bored. So if you need help with anything message "Muris". I am a master White Mage and master Summoner so I can get all the things done.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is a goon ls but its activity isn't

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Most goons just chat in the discord and encourage one another to bot and buy gil.
https://discord.gg/YjHAEU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gil has never been more affordable

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Botting has never been easier.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
New story content?

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/57098

I'm figuring it will be you do a side quest with Iroha where you look at plants so I don't get my expectations high.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The new story is 3 quests so far. It involves a newly reincarnated Galka child named Raebrimm which is super close to the Shadowlord, Roagrimm. So My guess based on that, and Resurgence being in the story name, is this will be a new Shadowlord type deal.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is anyone here playing on Eden?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

No because classic ffxi was bad

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Kazy posted:

No because classic ffxi was bad

Oh word?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Ive got a little static of 6 people on eden, in game name is tanners

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

I'm pretty new to Eden. Just hit 18 on my Red Mage. If anyone wants to help with that subjob quest...

Carmant fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 26, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Carmant posted:

I'm pretty new to Eden. Just hit 18 on my Red Mage. If anyone wants to help with that subjob quest...

Depending how impatient you are and if people are helpful, I would recommend just going to 30 so you can do the quest yourself.

Also my friends, our time is almost here for a single player edition of the game. The private server code has trusts somewhat working. Now they just need to fix bugs, jobs, storylines and few more things. With some RoV implemented and trusts I hit lv 30 in a day from scratch.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Private servers for xi are peak terrible. Don't drag people into that void.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
Decided to pick up FFXI since it's the one FF game I haven't played and I just like the grind of older MMOs. Does anyone have a link to an active discord or anything to join?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

ScolopaxMinor posted:

Decided to pick up FFXI since it's the one FF game I haven't played and I just like the grind of older MMOs. Does anyone have a link to an active discord or anything to join?

https://discord.gg/RJzZfy

here's one for you