Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of rear end creed, I thought I was in the mood for a new one of those so I tried Odyssey but I played it for like 2 hours and haven't touched it in weeks. I'm still on the first island, which among other things is just incredibly brown. I was expecting a game almost entirely full of blue seas.

My pro tip for Odyssey is to always remember: Kassandra will not die from fall damage, and eventually doesn’t even take fall damage. The game still has convenient hay piles but they’re more for show.

I don’t think the game ever really grabbed me at any specific point, but if you can eventually get into the groove it has going it’s a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, most of the game is beautiful Mediterranean environments and blue seas, so I think if you push on through the tutorial island you'll find what you were looking for.
I just stole the something whatever from the rich guy, how much longer before I get a freaking boat and off this shantytown island?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just stole the something whatever from the rich guy, how much longer before I get a freaking boat and off this shantytown island?

It's been a while so my memory of the precise timeline is fuzzy, but if you've met Barnabas you should be pretty close

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't watched the new gameplay footage but from previous E3 trailers I was hoping the game would be a Bushido Blade-style "one hit is lethal you're in the real poo poo now" combat system, I am prepared to be disappointed though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Samurai Sanders posted:

To clarify while you do in fact sail on blue seas 90% of the game will be you running around larger versions of the starting island doing similar quests. If the PC wisecracking their way through conversations and helping peasants with their bandit problem isn't grabbing you now I'm not sure you're gonna enjoy yourself in Athens either?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't watched the new gameplay footage but from previous E3 trailers I was hoping the game would be a Bushido Blade-style "one hit is lethal you're in the real poo poo now" combat system, I am prepared to be disappointed though

No one is going to do that in a mass-market AAA game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bushido Blade 2 was a AAA game :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never even got released here lol

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I vaguely remember an article from a month or so ago claiming that more lethal Bushido Blade style combat would be a difficulty option.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

To clarify while you do in fact sail on blue seas 90% of the game will be you running around larger versions of the starting island doing similar quests. If the PC wisecracking their way through conversations and helping peasants with their bandit problem isn't grabbing you now I'm not sure you're gonna enjoy yourself in Athens either?
While Cassandra is occasionally funny to listen to, most of the NPCs just talking to are as dumb as ever. Killing bandits isn't very satisfying either.

Yeah...I'm glad I got the game on sale for 80% off.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mr Hootington posted:

Finally Platinumed Fallout 76.

Such terrifying strength :negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bushido Blade 2 was a AAA game :colbert:

Honestly, I'm not even sure if the terms 'AAA' or 'Prestige' were even applicable to videogames prior to like... 2004. MGS2 feels like the benchmark title for what would be a continuing industry obsession with cinematic flair and visual fidelity, but even in 2001 it was a real odd duck imo

By the time Resi 4 came out in early 2005 there had been enough bigtime spendy games released in the previous 18 months that the trend of industry consolidation started to become quite visible, and when gen 7 was out the gate nobody had any clue how to design high-def assets for that poo poo so only large studio projects survived for a good while. Between 04 and 07 is when I started to hear the term 'AAA', and things only got dumber for the next decade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They were called 'killer aps' back then and there wasn't quite the association with massive budgets you get with AAA games (though they were likely higher than average) but stuff like Tomb Raider, FF and Resident Evil were considered system sellers in the same way. I wouldn't really count either Bushido Blade game though, they were both janky niche games lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I was being somewhat facetious lol, though this conversation reminded me of this choice ad from back in the day:

"If it were available on cartridge, it'd retail for $1200 :smugdog:"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of rear end creed, I thought I was in the mood for a new one of those so I tried Odyssey but I played it for like 2 hours and haven't touched it in weeks. I'm still on the first island, which among other things is just incredibly brown. I was expecting a game almost entirely full of blue seas.

Yeah that's just the tutorial area stuff, you get to do a whole lot of boat fighting in the game so just push on through that first part

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've heard a lot of people say that ghosts hasn't shown it's hook yet and uuh I think they have. Lots of people want assassin's creed old Japan and just because you don't doesn't mean the game doesn't have a hook.

It's a big serviceable saga of a story which plays like watching 5 seasons of a TV show which isn't too demanding after a long work day and half a bottle of wine. That's a BIG audience. Those people are why videogames is a billion dollar industry, everyone else was already around.

I am almost certainly not going to get it, seems like the kind of thing that will make my eyes glaze over - but I can see it's appeal. If it didn't have any Ubisoft wouldn't exist.
Infamous was never a trend setter - the first was poo poo, second firmly AA, and the third was a solid launch window title. Why is everyone acting like this game being a basic open world romp will somehow be a surprise/dissapointment?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 7, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ghost of Tsushima reads to me like feudal Japan Witcher 3 in a number of ways that make it hard to unsee. I'd be alright with that, even if the story and writing are inevitably inferior.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

cubicle gangster posted:

Infamous was never a trend setter - the first was poo poo, second firmly AA, and the third was a solid launch window title. Why is everyone acting like this game being a basic open world romp will somehow be a surprise/dissapointment?

I think it will be a straight forward open world game, but hopefully it will have a couple of mechanics that feel fun when repeated. I also think we should hold out some hope for great gaming since Sony's developers have been doing really neat work thus far. They're well supported and have a history of making OK games kind of like Guerilla. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

After having watched all 18 minutes of that ghosts of Tsushima video, it looks way too easy? I imagine that it’s just a dev playing it on tutorial mode or something but holy crap the enemy AI is bad (many of them standing there looking at a corner immobile while you swing around and make noises like a clown), four or five just slow walk up to you to die in one hit.. even the big armored dude around the fire goes down in one smoke grenade and hit. If the game is really like that it’s going to be so banal. It honestly kind of sucks they made this game because it does mean we will never get rear end creed Japan addition.

Honestly, the atmosphere feels like a western anime fan's idea of japanese history after watching Mononoke Hime a few times, but without enough eccentricity or mysticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnEgH5Bi0OU

One of the reasons Sekiro landed so well is because Miyazaki wrote and decorated it in a way that reflects not just the shifting political gambits of different clans from the era but also some of the dark, peculiar, and gross poo poo out of Japanese folklore that's particular to the island. The interplay between rivals of religious dominance, stagnancy, and corruption kind of feeds into an analysis of some of the whacked out notions of racial purity/inbreeding that course through Japan's history and its various wars of aggression. I know that Hidetaka Miyazaki is specially positioned within the industry to say those kinds of things about his own culture but yeah, without at least some of that flavor you end up looking kind of like a history channel game or whathaveyou.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 7, 2020

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If Ghost of Tsushima ends up being a letdown, do yourself a favor and get Nioh 2. It’s got Bushido Blade-esque combat and cute cats. Come on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

If Ghost of Tsushima ends up being a letdown, do yourself a favor and get Nioh 2. It’s got Bushido Blade-esque combat and cute cats. Come on.

love me them shinobi-nekos

meeee yowww

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ghost of Tsushima could be the blandest ubisoft clone ever but I will still buy it and play it to completion and possibly even enjoy it; when I can get it for £20

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also killed the Dancer in one go. Still embered from Aldrich. Three bosses down in a row without dying once on a first playthrough? What has happened to me?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bloodychill posted:

Wait, what?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cats have always been a big part of Nioh, op

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is the forest any good ?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, re Sekiro.. geez Sekiro did this genre So Well. It’s unbeatable. It was perfect. There’s no way anything can compete and they’ll always come in second to it.

Sekiro was too difficult for me to play because I couldn't get the hang of parrying. I'm not alone in that from the rate of trade ins it got at launch.

Ghost will be a hell of a lot more accessible to people who aren't good at video games, and they'll rank it higher as a result.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Also killed the Dancer in one go. Still embered from Aldrich. Three bosses down in a row without dying once on a first playthrough? What has happened to me?

My first death in DS3 was several hours and bosses into the game when I fell down an elevator shaft.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I was being somewhat facetious lol, though this conversation reminded me of this choice ad from back in the day:

"If it were available on cartridge, it'd retail for $1200 :smugdog:"

That owns

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't understand people's feelings about Bushido Blade. Was there some strategy, or at least consistency, to combat that I never found? With me and my friends we would just swing the swords at each other and sometimes the swords would go right through their body and do nothing, sometimes they would cause a random limb to get damaged, and sometimes they would kill. It was amusing for a couple of hours total.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't understand people's feelings about Bushido Blade. Was there some strategy, or at least consistency, to combat that I never found? With me and my friends we would just swing the swords at each other and sometimes the swords would go right through their body and do nothing, sometimes they would cause a random limb to get damaged, and sometimes they would kill. It was amusing for a couple of hours total.

The consistency was picking the guy who had two katanas but could throw one of them for an instant kill and you do that immediately when the fight starts, everytime

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't remember the strategy for actually being good at it. My main strategy was to run through every stage of the entire game, cut some bamboo on the way, and then hope I didn't get murdered in one stab at the end. It was a fun strategy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My first death in DS3 was several hours and bosses into the game when I fell down an elevator shaft.

I am just surprising myself really. I've never considered myself to be particularly good at video games and I'm still having flashbacks from playing bloodborne, my first FromSoft game ever, which left my crying huddled in the corner and I never touched another one for several years :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My only experience with Bushido Blade was playing it on the Final Fantasy 7 Demo disc. It was a mode where there really wasn't a winner, you just kept fighting over and over. It kept me and my friends' interest way longer than it probably should have.

Also, I think Ghost will be fine. I really just want to play a chill stealth game with some verticality to it in the vein of Dishonored 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I am just surprising myself really. I've never considered myself to be particularly good at video games and I'm still having flashbacks from playing bloodborne, my first FromSoft game ever, which left my crying huddled in the corner and I never touched another one for several years :v:

I think coming off the other Souls games, particularly BB, was a BIG help for DS3.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’ll never forget Sekiro. I couldn’t beat that first ogre and literally uninstalled the game after like 10-15 tries. Then, read a bit of the SA thread and grew a pair and reinstalled. I thought really hard about what I was doing right and wrong and practiced getting better on some of the low level dudes around and that first general. I beat the ogre the third or fourth try. I then went on to loving slay at that game. Every boss was such a dance and I would scream in frustration as I lost at the last second and lose all sense of vocal and gastrocolic control when I won. poo poo it was amazing and by the last fight I never wanted to end. I felt like I could do anything anywhere in that game.

I remember getting very far in dark souls III, but I never played any other From Software game until Sekiro and I have to say they know what they’re doing and they are genius programmers. The level of control and refinement and precision in a From game’s fighting mechanics are just outrageous and don’t exist anywhere else.

I wish blood borne had better AA or a remaster or something. Since getting the PS4 I wanted to play it but it feels really dated now. And yeah that werewolf at the very beginning is just stupid I have to fight everything with the blade of my hand?? I am sure I should give it a serious Sekiro-try but ugh.

Is..is From ever going to come out with another game? I would play a new From game in an instant.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got a decent way through Sekiro (I'm assuming, I stopped at the corrupted monk and its a great game, beating 2 bosses in particular gave me a bigger rush than anything in the Souls games but I just found it an easy game to get fed up with.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

How will Sekiro 2 match the atmosphere of Bugsnax Island is what I wanna know

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fit em all up in there posted:

Is the forest any good ?

I don't know if I'd call it good, but me and another goon played it for about a week and a half and had fun with it. It's very much one of those cheesy survival games like ARC or Conan Exiles, so if you are looking for more than that look elsewhere. For what it was I had a good time though. It's the only one of those games that has held my interest for more than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is..is From ever going to come out with another game? I would play a new From game in an instant.
They've released games regularly every one to two years for quite a while now. Not all of them are great or super famous though.