Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

This is dumb for a lot of reasons.

If your metric for determining whether or not a faction deserves new models hinges on players having unfinished kits, then no faction deserves new models because many players have unfinished kits.

Guy with 8000pts of grey plastic that deploys by tipping a Tupperware container onto the board spotted.

edit: oh poo poo, top of the page tax:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
How often does GW restock stuff? I want to get some jump jets but they've been out of stock for months and ebay prices seem pretty dumb.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

SerCypher posted:

Painted a commissar as practice before painting my new wanna-be eldar Inquisitor lady.

I still need to figure out how to paint faces instead of just using flesh wash, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

I even tried out contrast paint on the red pants, but I have mixed feelings about it. It kind of has a glossy texture that I'm not in love with, but after using nuln oil it looked pretty good.

Commissar looks pretty good, the base is like old school warhammer though (which is fine).

Personally I find that static grass works best in little clumps if you want to go for a open field sort of look.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Empire-Crossbowmen

If you look at their bases that's basically how I did my Fantasy bases and I think it gets you that sort of churned up mud of a battlefield. It's basically sand or small stones stuck on with PVA glue, painted brown and dry brushed with a lighter brown, and then just put little blobs of PVA on one or two open spots on the base and put the static grass on there.

As for painting faces:

https://youtu.be/wCL_r1Xn_zA

This is basically how I've painted faces for ages, though I use ratskin flesh tone as the base rather than bugmans glow.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How often does GW restock stuff? I want to get some jump jets but they've been out of stock for months and ebay prices seem pretty dumb.

In normal times it's been fairly quick, for now though I would say it could take ages, they only have one factory and all their orders were sort of backlogged and placed together, and presumably they have had to use some of their factory time to make stuff for new releases (Indomitus may have been mass produced ages ago but whatever is being released for all. Their games after the 9th edition launch needs to be made too).

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

SerCypher posted:

I even tried out contrast paint on the red pants, but I have mixed feelings about it. It kind of has a glossy texture that I'm not in love with, but after using nuln oil it looked pretty good.

Some of the contrast paints are amazing but they all need a little bit of playing with to figure out what works. Watching this thread I've gotten some great insights and quick tips. There's no great resources for this on the internet though. Feels like most of the contrast paint stuff out there are general reviews and post release critiques.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Maneck posted:

Just awesome and now I realize the lore has always been missing an assassin house which is specialized in assassination through paperwork.

There is. The Vanus Temple. You don't see them on the tabletop for extremely obvious reasons, but they're a thing.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Vanus_Temple

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Supply chains are very chaotic at the moment so it has hard to predict.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Deptfordx posted:

There is. The Vanus Temple. You don't see them on the tabletop for extremely obvious reasons, but they're a thing.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Vanus_Temple

One of the things I found really neat from the Song of Ice and Fire wargame is you use both fighting troops and non-combat characters in a game. I wish 40K had something like that. Experienced generals directing the battle from off field, covert units infiltrating to get Intel, diplomats, priests, all these things could form an entire new section of stuff you can bring to the table but not have to have them literally bashing each other with sticks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Not sure if they'd ever do anything like that if they couldn't sell models for them. Just have 'em in a small area off the board somewhere as tokens or something. An extra, optional Strategic Command/Supplies layer would be kind of dope but it absolutely would have to be optional since games can be long enough as it is.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Commissar looks pretty good, the base is like old school warhammer though (which is fine).

Personally I find that static grass works best in little clumps if you want to go for a open field sort of look.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Empire-Crossbowmen

If you look at their bases that's basically how I did my Fantasy bases and I think it gets you that sort of churned up mud of a battlefield. It's basically sand or small stones stuck on with PVA glue, painted brown and dry brushed with a lighter brown, and then just put little blobs of PVA on one or two open spots on the base and put the static grass on there.

As for painting faces:

https://youtu.be/wCL_r1Xn_zA

This is basically how I've painted faces for ages, though I use ratskin flesh tone as the base rather than bugmans glow.

Oooh thanks, that tutorial looks good, I'll give it a shot.

Also, yeah fluffy grass bases are oldschool but I still like them. Makes the guard feel more cheerful to me. Though I guess 'Cheerful' isn't really a common Guard Motif.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Babe Magnet posted:

Not sure if they'd ever do anything like that if they couldn't sell models for them. Just have 'em in a small area off the board somewhere as tokens or something. An extra, optional Strategic Command/Supplies layer would be kind of dope but it absolutely would have to be optional since games can be long enough as it is.

I don't know the specifics but in the ASOIAF wargame there's some sort of track where you put your support characters and they are actual models.

There's tons they could do. Imperial nobles, poncy guard generals, priests, diplomats, spies, tech priests.

SerCypher posted:

Oooh thanks, that tutorial looks good, I'll give it a shot.

Also, yeah fluffy grass bases are oldschool but I still like them. Makes the guard feel more cheerful to me. Though I guess 'Cheerful' isn't really a common Guard Motif.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Anyone starting Orks or want deffkoptas? I am selling on SA Mart

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931932

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
By the way, whoever it was that mentioned using metallic sharpies for detail, you're a loving genius.

I got a 3 pack of Gold, Copper and Silver at the art store. It's amazing just doing every little shiny eagle in 3 seconds with a gold sharpie.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SerCypher posted:

By the way, whoever it was that mentioned using metallic sharpies for detail, you're a loving genius.

I got a 3 pack of Gold, Copper and Silver at the art store. It's amazing just doing every little shiny eagle in 3 seconds with a gold sharpie.

I've been doing this w/ my entire Slaanesh army (gold Sharpie, dark wash) for extensive amounts of gold details and it's both easy and looks fantastic. I guess it rubs off easier than paint unless you varnish it, or something?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Anyone starting Orks or want deffkoptas? I am selling on SA Mart

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931932

:argh: I really don't want to get back into this game but those Black Reach Deffkoptas are approximately four million times cooler than those poo poo metal ones on GW's site.

Like I said in my post yesterday I just want to run a bunch of Meganobz, bikes, Koptas and some of the cool vehicles from last Orktober

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I've been doing this w/ my entire Slaanesh army (gold Sharpie, dark wash) for extensive amounts of gold details and it's both easy and looks fantastic. I guess it rubs off easier than paint unless you varnish it, or something?

To be honest I've started varnishing all my models now I've put effort into painting them. Too often you're eating greasy good then touching your models

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sab669 posted:

:argh: I really don't want to get back into this game but those Black Reach Deffkoptas are approximately four million times cooler than those poo poo metal ones on GW's site.

Like I said in my post yesterday I just want to run a bunch of Meganobz, bikes, Koptas and some of the cool vehicles from last Orktober

now's your chance!!!! these prices are insane!!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Kitchner posted:

To be honest I've started varnishing all my models now I've put effort into painting them.

It's always been a default for me. Just a quick spray of testors when you're done painting is quick and seals it

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Meow Tse-tung posted:

It's always been a default for me. Just a quick spray of testors when you're done painting is quick and seals it

The only reason I never bothered much before is basically because I did "battle ready" before it was a thing and I wouldn't want to seal in their paint job for all time. I'm nearly done with my infantry squad in my crusade force, so when they are done I'll do a side by side photo.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Well, I'm starting to need a real storage solution for my hammies. I guess magnetizing the bottoms and sticking them in a case is the way to go. So here are my questions:

• Magnets on minis or washers on minis with a magnet case? The washers seem like a simpler solution to me, but does this add much weight? What's better practically?

• What do you use for a case? Metal toolbox? Plastic tub with shelving inserted?

• Is magnetizing the miniatures just a stupid idea? Should I be considering something else?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Last I knew, https://www.krmulticase.com/ is pretty much the gold standard. I think Battlefoam is a bunch of nazis or something.

If you want to go the budget route, I'd say any old plastic container with some sheet metal glued to it and magnets on your bases. I tried this with my old AoS army but I bought some budget magnetic "paper" off Amazon (something like this but cheaper) and it didn't work very well. It wasn't strong enough to really keep things planted. I also had issues with my magnets popping out from underneath the bases :shrug:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I just found the goonhammer article on building your own case solutions (here's the link for all the lurkers). I'll *probably* go with a professional solution just because I don't want to be bothered. Good tip on the battlefoam though. The magna rack seems like the standard recommended magnet solution.

For anyone who's built their own magnet case, did you eventually reach the point where you decided to drop the money on a real one?

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Gameko posted:

Well, I'm starting to need a real storage solution for my hammies. I guess magnetizing the bottoms and sticking them in a case is the way to go. So here are my questions:

• Magnets on minis or washers on minis with a magnet case? The washers seem like a simpler solution to me, but does this add much weight? What's better practically?

• What do you use for a case? Metal toolbox? Plastic tub with shelving inserted?

• Is magnetizing the miniatures just a stupid idea? Should I be considering something else?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

I add washer to the bottom of my minis and magnetic tape to simple plastic boxes/tub from biglots and it works great to and from game store in car. Even werid delicate minis transport safely. Vehicles like tanks have some weirdness since I can't really get washers on them but they ussally sit nicely and don't move much anyway.

It does add some weight to the mini but I kind of like that over the weightless plastic feel and it helps keep the mini standing up right.

I don't magnetize the minis since they tend to snap together when you do that and put them next to each other on the board. Or near metal terrain.

Here is sort of a bad image of what I mean

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sab669 posted:

Last I knew, https://www.krmulticase.com/ is pretty much the gold standard. I think Battlefoam is a bunch of nazis or something.

Battlefoam is a litigious rear end in a top hat but not quite a nazi, that impression came from his laser-etched FoW foams.

He did individual logos for a whole bunch of SS units, while some nations only got only one or two symbols.

It was... questionable but not enough to be like hey gently caress him forever.

Meanwhile KR is just awesome and deserves your business.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally caved and bought a game mat, double sided at that.

With Indomitus this its going to be a heavy hobby month

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I have a magnarack, and FWIW I hate it. Way too heavy.

The problem with magnetic storage is that you have a weird little balancing act - the magnets have to be strong enough to keep the minis in place, but weaker than the glue holding the mini to the base, or the part of the mini you grab to the rest of the mini. That means both finding medium-strength magnets, and also not using simple sheet metal as there’s that much more metal for the magnet to grab onto. Even if it seems to be a good balance at first, repeated stress will often crack the glue bonds over time. If you use resin bases, sometimes the magnets will simply break off, and you end up having to use thick, ugly, gunky solutions like hot glue or gorilla glue.

I use wire-mesh racks from Container Store, like these:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elfa/components/drawers-accessories/platinum-elfa-mesh-drawers/123d?productId=10009304

Not too expensive, and it holds onto magnets lightly, so even if you use strong neodymium magnets you won’t end up breaking minis every few times you go to get them out. Also light, and you can stack them up if you buy the plastic cover for them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think I'm going crazy. I'm seriously considering getting a Sigismund model from FW to convert into an Emperor's Champion.

I already own GW's version, but it's a pretty bad finecast sculpt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have 500 points of Genestealer Cults now. :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dawgstar posted:

I have 500 points of Genestealer Cults now. :smith:

My brother did that. Did some drunk eBaying and woke up as a GSC player. :rolleyes:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

All it takes is one night absent the Emperor's vigilance to let an infestation take root.

Still, he likely purged in the morning....

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

moths posted:

Battlefoam is a litigious rear end in a top hat but not quite a nazi, that impression came from his laser-etched FoW foams.

He did individual logos for a whole bunch of SS units, while some nations only got only one or two symbols.

Thanks for the clarification, it's been years since I thought about it :)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I'm pretty sure that doing that, on top of being a litigious rear end in a top hat, on top of being a dick to the organizers of nova is plenty of excuse to tell him to gently caress off forever, especially when other people make better product.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

I'm pretty sure that doing that, on top of being a litigious rear end in a top hat, on top of being a dick to the organizers of nova is plenty of excuse to tell him to gently caress off forever, especially when other people make better product.

And not just that others make a better product. Battlefoam carries a premium because it's supposed to be better, and it most definitely is not.

I bought a Battlefoam bag for Warmahordes before learning of the debate about precisely what kind of a jackass the owner is. The pre-cut laser pieces, which is the main selling point of the Battlefoam line, are bad. A model built slightly differently what they expected, or even built as expected but positioned poorly, will probably break when you try to get it out of the foam. The trays pre-cut into chambers? The published dimensions will not necessarily match the actual dimensions. Which is a problem since a tight fit is desirable for foam. I've ended up having to add cuts to fit models which should have fit, but the dimensions were off.

The pick'n'pluck stuff works fine, as it's pick'n'pluck. But there's no reason to pay a premium price for it. The generic pick'n'pluck waterproof cases I bought at the hardware store are cheaper and actually offer better protection than the battelfoam bag.

Easily the most disappointing hobby purchase I've made.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 8, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah absolutely - please don't think there's any reading of that where BFoam is a good guy who deserves your money.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
I'm almost done with my new mini storage/transport method which is a home made magnarack. It's some cheap modular shelves I got from where i work that are 12"x24" and galvanized steel sheeting cut to size with a dremel and JB welded into place with tiny magnets on model bases. As for dealing with magnets on bases breaking the super glue, my method is a dot of super glue to hold the magnet in place initially followed by a coat of JB weld(seriously this stuff is magic) to fully keep it in place.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

the moose posted:

I add washer to the bottom of my minis and magnetic tape to simple plastic boxes/tub from biglots and it works great to and from game store in car. Even werid delicate minis transport safely. Vehicles like tanks have some weirdness since I can't really get washers on them but they ussally sit nicely and don't move much anyway.

It does add some weight to the mini but I kind of like that over the weightless plastic feel and it helps keep the mini standing up right.

I don't magnetize the minis since they tend to snap together when you do that and put them next to each other on the board. Or near metal terrain.

Here is sort of a bad image of what I mean

How do you find strong enough magnetic tape? I tried a couple of different ones and they didn’t really hold down my the minis enough, so I ended up going with magnets underneath. I’ve been really happy so far, and they’re incredible secure. I can literally throw my bag across the room and the minis will be intact. I use a slanted/curved medium sized baking tray with a plastic lid (two can fit securely in normal backpack vertically) and the only two minor inconveniences is that they’re so secure that picking them up from the metal is a hassle (I can slide them off, hence the slant) and they can stick together on the table. It’s super rare for them to stick together if I place the magnet in the middle of the base though.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Someone shared a metal toolbox setup that looked pretty easy to do with just some magnets on the bases. I'd find the image again but I'm at work

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Someone shared a metal toolbox setup that looked pretty easy to do with just some magnets on the bases. I'd find the image again but I'm at work

I made a similar setup. I found these stackable containers at Target. Bought steel sheeting at Home Depot, cut the sheets in half to fit, taped them down in the box. I glue a magnet to the bottom of each base. I figured that for taller models I can get one of the sections and cut the bottom out so it becomes a hollow spacer also. The only downside to magnets on model bases is occasionally there is enough magnetic force for the models to attract. That is mostly where the magnet isn't centered. 40mm GW bases are the worst for this because of all those little circles on the bottom where you could drill out pegs for models prevent you from centering the magnet.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Imagine inventing the gun from portal. The endless possibilities. Probably the technological turning point of the millennium and

Perfect.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 8, 2020

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Revelation 2-13 posted:

How do you find strong enough magnetic tape? I tried a couple of different ones and they didn’t really hold down my the minis enough, so I ended up going with magnets underneath. I’ve been really happy so far, and they’re incredible secure. I can literally throw my bag across the room and the minis will be intact.

I found some off Amazon. The minis will slide around or fall off if you tip it upside down. Their not super secure inside but as long as you're not throwing your boxes across the room it works great. So far I haven't had any issues with it in the 3 or so years ive been using it. The only time my minis break is when my cat sneak into the painting room and start jumping on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't have a picture either, but this really is the way to go. Whether you use a metal toolbox or somehow (firmly) put metal sheets into a different container, as long as you slap some strong-rear end neodymium magnets on those bases, your minis aren't going to so much as slide around inside the box.