Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If "the presidents were old bad men who enslaved people and largely treated everyone like trash" is news in 2020, I don't know if I can actually explain how disappointed I am in the US.

That isn't why I like HoP. It's because it's such a neat slice of where we were and where we're going. It calls us out time and again for mistakes we've made and ones we continue to make. It's educational and it's absolute neutral.

And changing it now makes me feel like we're letting the right win. It gives them a way to laugh and go "Trump was too much for those snowflakes! We won! Ha ha!" and I hate that so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chitoryu12 posted:

Not as good as removing his animatronic while he's still alive to see it.

I can tell you he does not give a poo poo. He couldn't bother to record dialogue for it, so they had to listen to his speeches and try to find the parts where he monotone reads the script and find the few parts of non-partisan filler. All he cares about is the stupid amount of money he is making off the job, and the only threat to that will be if they use RICO to go after him and tear his assets away.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It gives them a way to laugh and go "Trump was too much for those snowflakes! We won! Ha ha!" and I hate that so much.

While there are worse presidents (Jackson, Coolidge, Hoover) they didn't exist in the media context we have now. People's only real news was a few sheets of paper printed every now and then, possibly not even daily if you didn't live in a big city like New York or Chicago. The show opened just in the wrapup of the Vietnam War so it has had to deal with problems right from the get-go. Nixon was "the worst President" for decades because of his audio recordings, but Disney put up with that because he was a Friend Of Walt for a very long time. It's kind of hard to put a rosy picture on these guys who have so many hours of TV footage.

There's no problem with "letting the right win" if it means diminishing the significance of an institution they have shown will not be held completely sacred. Those people are the same ones who post "you can't express a conservative opinion here" on Reddit, ignoring that their administration are run like an online trolling operation and their leader gives speeches about how the country's most pressing threats are everyday people who not members of the party.

An attraction about a shared history and putting aside our squabbles as insignificant trite issues of the day is kind of hard in the context of a White House that lives off trite squabbles.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 6, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

I can tell you he does not give a poo poo. He couldn't bother to record dialogue for it, so they had to listen to his speeches and try to find the parts where he monotone reads the script and find the few parts of non-partisan filler.

This disappoints me. I really hoped he read it and was too stupid to read between the lines about "better days ahead."

Then again I can't imagine Trump having anything to do with Disney. Like, watching an animated film or being at the parks experiencing joy and happiness like a normal human.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Empress Brosephine posted:

Imagine if they use the parts from trumps animatronic for Tiana :newlol:

Though with his body type, he'll have to be an overly-pudgy Louis.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think the obvious thing to do with Splash Mountain is retheme it after Tron. Just think of the cool lighting effects from putting ultra-bright sequenced LEDs under the splashy bits.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As others pointed out, HoP worked when the awful parts of presidents weren't on full public display all the time. I will also add that the incredibly polarized state that the country is in doesn't strengthen the case to keep it around. I honestly didn't go on it much because I didn't feel like hearing that one obnoxious dude get up and flip off the Obama animatronic and shout "BENGHAZI" or something equally dumb.

I will praise it for being a technical marvel as well as a chill place to take a break in MK (of which there are few). I do think painting a rose colored glass version of American history is disingenuous and lovely, but I also don't think Disney parks is a great place to get into the nitty-gritty-lovely of our past. If they can straddle a line, I'm all for it, but there will never be something that pleases everyone to fill in the void.

Except muppets.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Okay if they replace it with Muppets Take Murica or some poo poo, I'm all for that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anarchist Eagle screaming "ALL COUNTRIES SUCK, BUT MOSTLY AMERICA"

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I think it should open when MK opens with a Hamilton sing-a-long overlay on the screens. No animatronics, just words on the screen for 15 mins. Maybe with Leslie Odom Jr dancing around gracefully in the background.

For like a month long run.

And then at the exit they try to get you to sign up for Disney+ so you can see the whole thing.

Don't pretend it wouldn't be super popular.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You sold me on the first line and I'd be there singing the whole time gently caress you for exposing how basic I am

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

I think it should open when MK opens with a Hamilton sing-a-long overlay on the screens. No animatronics, just words on the screen for 15 mins. Maybe with Leslie Odom Jr dancing around gracefully in the background.

For like a month long run.

And then at the exit they try to get you to sign up for Disney+ so you can see the whole thing.

Don't pretend it wouldn't be super popular.

Is Hamilton still that popular? Like, I have absolutely no idea and it's not like I can go see if tickets are sold out. I know it was huge a few years ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The release on Disney + is like the biggest entertainment event of the summer. If it had been in theaters it would have dominated the box office for weeks.

But also we’re trying to get away from lionizing racists here with HoP!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Apparently Disney+ app installs increased by something absurd like 72% this week.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The release on Disney + is like the biggest entertainment event of the summer. If it had been in theaters it would have dominated the box office for months.

Neat. I dunno. You probably could do a sing-a-long with minimal effort. If it's that big (I know it was trending, I've seen it before it a few years ago before it was on D+, I didn't know it was that big), it'd be a neat thing to put in the theater for a bit while they debate HoP's long-term plans.

Even if they keep HoP as it is and simply replace Trump (hopefully in November), I do think we should probably not let the Trump animatronic ever speak again considering some of the poo poo that's gone down over the past few months. He's always been garbage but I mean, he's really amplifying it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is Hamilton still that popular? Like, I have absolutely no idea and it's not like I can go see if tickets are sold out. I know it was huge a few years ago.

I tried to watch the Broadway movie on Disney Plus a couple of days ago and couldn’t. Kept erroring out. Other shows/movies worked fine. Somehow Disney Plus didn’t have enough capacity to stream precisely one movie.

Yeah, it’s popular.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And changing it now makes me feel like we're letting the right win. It gives them a way to laugh and go "Trump was too much for those snowflakes! We won! Ha ha!" and I hate that so much.

They're going to do that no matter what we do. If we leave the animatronic up, it's a tactic statement of "I don't think he's that bad." Is that the image you want to leave for people that his administration is actively hurting when they go to Disney?

Like this dude ain't a theoretical. He's directly harming innocent people right now. He doesn't deserve to be honored. Take his poo poo away.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Meh, I'll wait until Mandalorian S2 drops before getting another month.

I notice no theatre chains have threatened to boycott Disney like they did Universal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

They're going to do that no matter what we do. If we leave the animatronic up, it's a tactic statement of "I don't think he's that bad." Is that the image you want to leave for people that his administration is actively hurting when they go to Disney?

Like this dude ain't a theoretical. He's directly harming innocent people right now. He doesn't deserve to be honored. Take his poo poo away.

My opinion will change significantly if we're stuck with him for another 4 years but right now I kinda like the Hamilton sing-a-long idea until we find out what happens in November.

Also I am one of those folks. I still love HoP and I was curious the first time. After that, ugh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m surprised the Trump robot hasn’t met the same fate the Hitler wax figure at Tussaud’s in Berlin did.

Edit: wax autocorrect to was.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 7, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

The release on Disney + is like the biggest entertainment event of the summer. If it had been in theaters it would have dominated the box office for weeks.

But also we’re trying to get away from lionizing racists here with HoP!

Hamilton in no way lionizes racists :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

Hamilton in no way lionizes racists :psyduck:

...what?

EDIT: To add context; Hamilton married into the slave trade and bought and sold slaves for his in-laws. LMM himself acknowledges this. “And while, yeah, Hamilton was anti-slavery and never owned slaves, between choosing his financial plan and going all in on opposition to slavery, he chose his financial plan. So it was tough to justify keeping that rap battle in the show, because none of them did enough." Burr owned slaves. The entirety of our founding fathers is a legacy of colonialism and slavery and any work that does not confront that directly and truthfully lionizes our past and is exactly why we have people defending Jefferson statues and Confederate flags one in the same.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 7, 2020

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Beachcomber posted:

Meh, I'll wait until Mandalorian S2 drops before getting another month.

I notice no theatre chains have threatened to boycott Disney like they did Universal.

It's probably a) Nobody wants to look like they're setting up to fail like AMC did, and b) The Hamilton Broadway Film was schedule to release next year, well before cinemas would have even considered negotiations to play it. Trolls 2 was like 2 months out when lockdown hit, so AMC was probably banking some quarterly earnings on the film. And then were hoping to push their projections into another quarter once lockdown lifted. Now they're doing $0 on a film they promoted for like a year.

Please note, I do not condone feeling sorry for the capitalist pigs at AMC. Instead, I reccomend laughing at them like the dirty swine they are.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 7, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

...what?

EDIT: To add context; Hamilton married into the slave trade and bought and sold slaves for his in-laws. LMM himself acknowledges this. “And while, yeah, Hamilton was anti-slavery and never owned slaves, between choosing his financial plan and going all in on opposition to slavery, he chose his financial plan. So it was tough to justify keeping that rap battle in the show, because none of them did enough." Burr owned slaves. The entirety of our founding fathers is a legacy of colonialism and slavery and any work that does not confront that directly and truthfully lionizes our past and is exactly why we have people defending Jefferson statues and Confederate flags one in the same.

Yeah exactly. Hamilton in no way supported slavery despite marrying into the Schuylers because he saw it as more important to the bigger picture to do his job in the treasury. It was absolutely a lovely thing to do morally, but you’re being pretty disingenuous saying LMM praised and lionized him for it. Meanwhile, slaveowners Burr and Jefferson are both played as villains in the musical.

HoP is far more guilty of glossing over the uncomfortable lifestyles of the founding fathers than Hamilton, which at least took a stance in saying slavery was and is unequivocally bad and so are the people who support it.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 7, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If we are gonna get into Hamilton and how it treats its characters, I think you need to consider that the show doesn't treat Hamilton as a saint. In it, he is portrayed as a lovely father and husband, selfish, brash, and unfaithful. There's a meta theme that runs through the entire show about legacy and how you're remembered and defined and how that determines if you end up as the villain or the hero. We could have just as easily been seeing Burr the musical if he had been shot instead and having the same discussion about how Burr shouldn't be praised.

And this is without opening the argumentative can of worms that is holding folks from over 200 years ago to the same moral standards we have evolved to today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

but you’re being pretty disingenuous saying LMM praised and lionized him for it.

I didn't say that though? I said LMM himself was conflicted with Hamilton's action vs greed and the inclusion of parts of the show because it was hard to ignore the reality vs how it played in the musical. The show as a whole absolutely lionizes that era and the founding fathers as a whole, this has been a huge conversation since the debut, mostly because it pleases liberal audiences to think they're watching a woke portrayal of history that still cares about the accuracy so they just take things at face value. Someone said it well; "Hamilton was perfect for Obama era America" but obviously we're beyond that in every way.

couldcareless posted:

And this is without opening the argumentative can of worms that is holding folks from over 200 years ago to the same moral standards we have evolved to today.

Yeah, it's a mix of this and people refusing to accept that almost every "great man" in history was lovely in some way.

But to get back on topic, I was just joking about how Hamilton in place of HoP would be just as problematic because as someone else said, Disney can't and won't do justice to a topic as heavy as American history in the parks so I'd rather they not even try.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 7, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don’t disagree with any of that. I just balked because it seemed like we were heading down the old shitposter path of “Miranda just wanted to suck the dicks of founding fathers to collect cash from wealthy libs yearning to feel woke” when it’s pretty clear he did nothing of the sort and actually put a lot of thought and care into how he portrayed the characters, both good and bad.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Change the animatronics into Hamilton cast animatronics. Forget the Shaman of Songs, I want a dancing Aaron Burr AA

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hamiltonvison 3D

:unsmigghh:

The ending shot still features some 90's as hell outfits.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
just get rid of HoP already

Replace it with Rise of the Republic. You’re a patriot spy recruited in Bostuun trying to make your way to New York when your ship is intercepted by Loyalists and the evil British Empire...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dren posted:

just get rid of HoP already

Replace it with Rise of the Republic. You’re a patriot spy recruited in Bostuun trying to make your way to New York when your ship is intercepted by Loyalists and the evil British Empire...

As someone who works at the Hall of Presidents, unironically this would rule.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
It should just be a big dark room where the lights go dim and they play very cozy disney tunes softly in the air conditioning for 35 minutes and then usher that set of nap-takers out, and the next nap-taking set in.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Just turn that corner of Liberty Square into Haunted Square, and make the show Dead Presidents: A Spooky Revue of Amercan's Haunted Past. And then turn it into a throwback, vaudevillian style comedy starring the especially obscure presidents. Washington and Lincoln heckle from the balcony. Andrew Jackson gets boo'd off before he can say anything. Taft comes out with a tiny guitar singing 'Blood on the Sand'.

I am only 50% joking.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

make it a Muppets show. now.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Cast member preview for Magic and Animal Kingdom is happening now. Lots of twitter photos, and this running photo gallery https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/gallery/07jul2020-magic-kingdom-reopening-from-covid-19-closure/38078.htm

This is how they are handling Flight of Passage:

https://twitter.com/OurFLProject/status/1280483713030197251

They have a lot of those plexiglass dividers in other queues at other places as well.

Monorail dividers:

https://twitter.com/OrlandoInformer/status/1280492954281545728

One live stream in Magic Kingdom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYk-Vykfq0

Atricks fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 7, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

alg posted:

make it a Muppets show. now.

This.

Disney has owned the Muppets IP for however long and failed over and over with it. This would be the best thing ever. Please, give me my Kermit and Gonzo!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Nanigans posted:

This.

Disney has owned the Muppets IP for however long and failed over and over with it. This would be the best thing ever. Please, give me my Kermit and Gonzo!

Yeah, a stronger Muppets presence in the parks is sorely needed, and this would be a great way to do it. Sam the Eagle tries to give a serious, educational presentation on the presidents, and the other Muppets derail it in their usual wacky Muppet fashion! It practically writes itself.

Disney has really had no idea what to do with The Muppets for almost a decade at this point. I thought that first revival movie was quite good, Most Wanted was okay, and then that god-awful sitcom tanked and seemed to scare them off from trying anything else. Hopefully this new Disney + show is all right, or at least opens the door for more/better projects.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Could you seriously not just scale up Great Moments in American History? Because that show was charming as hell. And imagine doing a live muppets puppet show at Magic Kingdom.

Additionally, they could probably make it a really neat Sleepy Hollow overlay for the Halloween Party (when it comes back in 2021).

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Haunted Mansion doesn't have a stretching room. You just go right to the ride for now. Didn't think about that but makes total sense.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Haunted Mansion doesn't have a stretching room. You just go right to the ride for now. Didn't think about that but makes total sense.

Dumb stuff like this isn't going to save lives and Disney is going to kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Make it the full scale 4 hour version of Sam Eagle's A Salute to All Nations but Mostly America.