Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I recently read this and enjoyed it so a new chapter is a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Latest Beware the Villainess is pretty good!

I thought the yuri flags were more coincidence and comedy, but Melissa really is spending a lot of time thinking about how pretty Yu-

...just realized she's actually named Yuri. Well. Still, I think Nine has a decent chance of being part of the equation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eponymous posted:

I thought the yuri flags were more coincidence and comedy, but Melissa really is spending a lot of time thinking about how pretty Yu-

...just realized she's actually named Yuri. Well. Still, I think Nine has a decent chance of being part of the equation.

You can do it Nine, I believe in you!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Saw this recc'd elsewhere and was curious if it was any good.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/im-the-evil-lord-of-an-intergalactic-empire/

It's by the same guy as World of Otome is Tough for Mobs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eponymous posted:

I was sure it was going to be Nine in the box until it was finally clear he was standing outside with Melissa early this chapter. This is good too though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it is of course liberating to make a character nasty and vindictive and supremely selfish and have them use that power for good

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sindai posted:

I was sure it was going to be Nine in the box until it was finally clear he was standing outside with Melissa early this chapter. This is good too though.

It's great to me because I'm sure Melissa knows she more or less cheated with her answer, but Peacock can't say a drat thing in front of Yuri so he's completely screwed into accepting his loss.

Also, I LOVE the fact that she explicitly points out how poorly written the characters were in the novels and that's why they're all such complete asses once the novels became real, when confronted with anything that's outside the author's narrative their personalities crumble into mediocrity.

Phobophilia posted:

it is of course liberating to make a character nasty and vindictive and supremely selfish and have them use that power for good

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is exactly why I like Otomege Mob. The protagonist is an rear end but only towards the people who deserve it (The spoiled noble children, the prince and his other harem members, etc). He's actually very decent to other people.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 4, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mangadex.org/chapter/949799/1

Oh come on now Katarina.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This spinoff is really getting good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is exactly why I like Otomege Mob. The protagonist is an rear end but only towards the people who deserve it (The spoiled noble children, the prince and his other harem members, etc). He's actually very decent to other people.

I have mixed feelings about Otomege Mob. On the one hand, the MC is great at playing the heel, and as you said he balances that by only dunking on people who deserve it. On the other hand the setting is pretty gross, and it really bothers me that basically every woman is lovely except for the few "good ones" who just happen to be part of the MC's circle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nemo2342 posted:

I have mixed feelings about Otomege Mob. On the one hand, the MC is great at playing the heel, and as you said he balances that by only dunking on people who deserve it. On the other hand the setting is pretty gross, and it really bothers me that basically every woman is lovely except for the few "good ones" who just happen to be part of the MC's circle.

It really, really comes off as being written by a misogynist, yeah,

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh man, flipping the avatar side is really disorienting. I get the joke, it's manga so right to left but I was not expecting that when I opened this one.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RareAcumen posted:

Oh man, flipping the avatar side is really disorienting. I get the joke, it's manga so right to left but I was not expecting that when I opened this one.

Can we you know...go back to normal on that? It's legit making me loving dizzy and feel unwell an disoriented.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jeffrey said he's going to disable it and eventually add it as an option

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I actually love this.

too bad I mostly post on the APP so I didn't understand what was being talked about until now.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Mors Rattus posted:

It really, really comes off as being written by a misogynist, yeah,
Evil Lord has the same issue. Author definitely appears to have some messed up views of women.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So the scanlator of Isekai Ojisan had a meltdown because someone else uploaded a chapter before them, and posted a chapter that is ahead of the translated chapters and also created a fake spoiler. (they also showed an image of all the translated chapters that they aren't uploading now.)

Scanlator drama is so dumb.

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

I have a general question since I never post and never read and also come to SA like once or twice a year: is there a thread for the villainess isekai subgenre, or is that just sort of lumped in here (which is what it looks like)? I was mostly hoping to just skim through a big list in an OP to see if there's anything I haven't read, but it looks like I've read all the villainess manga in this thread's OP.

Nemo2342 posted:

I enjoyed the part of Otomege Mob that was him dunking on idiots with his robot and that was basically it. In regards to the setting, I think the worst part of it is that it doesn't serve any purpose to have every woman be an awful person. You can have a matriarchal society with an expectation that men get married off without every woman being awful. You can still have the MC be under threat of being sold off as a husband to someone terrible without the default being that every woman doesn't give a poo poo about their husband and buys 20 big-dicked elf slaves or whatever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I binged ahead on the LM for Otomege and defened it before. I agree with the idea that good or bad, it certainly isn't particularly wholesome and that kind of takes it off topic. I'll say though that it didn't turn out like an incel revenge manga like we all feared when it first rolled under the grill of a Mitsubishi truck and onto Mangadex. I also particularly like the MC playing the heel and I give it credit for keeping the previous life as an important part of the plot. I'll take PMs about it if people want to get a little bit of spoilers and hit the LN translation or something.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Scanlator drama is so dumb.

This is an evergreen post.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think the comic is popular enough that someone will pick it up even if this team does drop it.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Jackard posted:

I think the comic is popular enough that someone will pick it up even if this team does drop it.

Every time I see Isekai Ojisan pop up in my feed I mentally subtitle it, "That Poor Elf".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that manga's pretty painful, mostly because all of his isekai adventures are over and done with and the dude is oblivious to how badly he hosed up.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I just checked and Otomege Mob was recommended here before. There were some posts trying to explain it's not incel-y because there's nuance in the setting, but others went "nah, these all sound misogynistic and 100% unwholesome, so why even bring it up in this thread for wholesome isekai?"

Myok posted:

Every time I see Isekai Ojisan pop up in my feed I mentally subtitle it, "That Poor Elf".

I liked how the uncle having to deal with a post-isekai life and finding out things have already moved on from his interests, and how the interactions between him and his nephew are wholesome. I just don't like how the extra chapters draws his interactions with the elf in a skeevy way, like that part where she got poisoned by an aphrosidiac.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kesshan posted:

I have a general question since I never post and never read and also come to SA like once or twice a year: is there a thread for the villainess isekai subgenre, or is that just sort of lumped in here (which is what it looks like)? I was mostly hoping to just skim through a big list in an OP to see if there's anything I haven't read, but it looks like I've read all the villainess manga in this thread's OP.

There is no dedicated thread. The isekai threads have kinda just collected all that stuff, as well as basic fantasy series in general (with or without the standard game elements). There is just so much cross-talk between the genres nowadays that I will, out of pure habit, talk about stuff like Slow Life Frontier, I Swear I Won't Bother You Again, That Other Slow Life One, The Soldier Sees a Dream About the Past, Magic? Muscle Is Stronger!, Retired Heroes, A Third Slow Life, etc, in this thread.

I'm personally in favor of just making a general "Fantasy, Isekai, and maybe a Villainess too" thread.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This is one is so dumb...I love it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

This is an amazing find.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in 80,000 gold pieces, mitsuha is just running an interdimensional scam now :allears:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eeepies posted:

This is an amazing find.

Not that I wasn’t already prone to binging new finds, but this one definitely kept me incredulously turning the page to see what insanity would happen next.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Captain Invictus posted:

in 80,000 gold pieces, mitsuha is just running an interdimensional scam now :allears:

Mitsuha is probably the most evil isekai protagonist because she's in it for CAPITALISM.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is incredibly good. Both main characters are such lovable goofs.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Eeepies posted:

Mitsuha is probably the most evil isekai protagonist because she's in it for CAPITALISM.

To be fair, she's at least engaging full-on so she can retire comfortably and doesn't really horde riches at the expense of everyone else. (The shop owner being a very notable exception.)

It is still full-steam-ahead fantasy capitalism (the impossible kind of fantasy, not the dragons and elves kind of fantasy), though, no disagreement there.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eeepies posted:

No, that would be the potions girl by the same author.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nemo2342 posted:

No, that would be the potions girl by the same author.

They're both basically the same person, really.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bremen posted:

They're both basically the same person, really.

Pretty much, yes. Though so far Mitsuha hasn't destabilized any countries or committed any warcrimes (yet).

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Here's a rare sci-fi meets fantasy isekai. Plus it actually explores the setting. The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer, even rarer it hasn't fallen into any of the bad-isekai pitfalls!

I wish the backstory was more star trek than starship troopers. Also magic trounced by nanomachines.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, it later veers really hard into japanese cooking wankery despite the mc not being japanese.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's seriously a scene where a chef had a bunch of soy sauce, but didn't know what it was used for and had never tried anything. then he was quickly wowed when the mc used it as seasoning in the most basic way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's seriously a scene where a chef had a bunch of soy sauce, but didn't know what it was used for and had never tried anything. then he was quickly wowed when the mc used it as seasoning in the most basic way.

...Where did he get the soy sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
There was another place that sold it, yet somehow they never said what it was actually for.

I had the distinct feeling that the writer was stalling his publisher for something.