Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

so i'm discussing this with jeffrey and squizzle and we think there could be a mod pod where every week the mods read one chapter of the brothers karamazov and watch one episode of the simpsons, and discuss how the two illuminate and contextualize one another -- and the forums. each mod has to read one chapter and has to summarize it for the mod reading the next chapter.

cumulatively.

and that would be great because maybe three chapters in people will start summarizing things with ms paint renderings or a video of geese or whatever.

i love all of this

especially using ms paint renderings and videos as part of a purely audio medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

everytime i've tried to read brothers karamazov i get like 200 pages in before i get tired of all the monologuing

like its one thing when the dipshit dad won't shut up but i got to a part where one of the brothers starts going on and on about a girl he likes for 20 pages and he's saying nothing, just shut the gently caress up dude

Zook
Oct 3, 2014

so i'm discussing this with jeffrey and squizzle and we think there could be a mod pod where every week the mods read one chapter of the brothers karamazov and watch one episode of the simpsons, and discuss how the two illuminate and contextualize one another -- and the forums. each mod has to read one chapter and has to summarize it for the mod reading the next chapter.

cumulatively.

and that would be great because maybe three chapters in people will start summarizing things with ms paint renderings or a video of geese or whatever.

cringe

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

everytime i've tried to read brothers karamazov i get like 200 pages in before i get tired of all the monologuing

like its one thing when the dipshit dad won't shut up but i got to a part where one of the brothers starts going on and on about a girl he likes for 20 pages and he's saying nothing, just shut the gently caress up dude
and imagine if you heard goon voices reading it!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm honestly astounded that the Chapos think there will be less culture war stuff if a Democrat's in office when practically all of the culture war stuff they hate started under Obama.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The culture war poo poo has been around as far as I can remember, especially the loving Bush years was rife with it

Citations Needed still the best podcast

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Freedom Fries, bitch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cheese-eating surrender-monkeys

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

The culture war poo poo has been around as far as I can remember, especially the loving Bush years was rife with it

Sure, but the liberal idpol stuff about being concerned about everything you watch is a product of the Obama years. Bringing back Biden will only make that more relevant since it's the only way for liberals to seem like they're doing something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MizPiz posted:

Sure, but the liberal idpol stuff about being concerned about everything you watch is a product of the Obama years. Bringing back Biden will only make that more relevant since it's the only way for liberals to seem like they're doing something.

And they're going to double down on ignoring material problems and completely failing to even try to deal with the fascists.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And they're going to double down on ignoring material problems and completely failing to even try to deal with the fascists.

Which is kind of my point. The culture war stuff is only going to get ever more prevalent with a Biden administration since it's literally the only thing they have that isn't explicitly right wing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

i can't find it now but i watched some interview with roger ailes on some bizarre conservative t.v. show during the george h.w. bush administration that was also on a stage in a theatre and it was exactly the same thing you hear today in terms of the culture war.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i can't find it now but i watched some interview with roger ailes on some bizarre conservative t.v. show during the george h.w. bush administration that was also on a stage in a theatre and it was exactly the same thing you hear today in terms of the culture war.

was it this? i put this on a good timestamp, the host doesn't understand the difference between journalism and entertainment and ailes corrects him lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHYa9IupxRs&t=1343s

edit ohhh hw, dang that would be cool to watch

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Jul 7, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
no it was way older, i mean h.w. bush, 1992. it was wacky as hell.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is interesting and a little horrifying that serious right-wingers really do believe that the left has won an almost total victory over the last few decades and that this is why everything is going to poo poo

not even talking bizarre throwbacks like peter hitchens, this is a pretty common attitude among the hard right

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

V. Illych L. posted:

it is interesting and a little horrifying that serious right-wingers really do believe that the left has won an almost total victory over the last few decades and that this is why everything is going to poo poo

not even talking bizarre throwbacks like peter hitchens, this is a pretty common attitude among the hard right

This is one of the key beliefs they share with liberals, which gives the right a sense of urgency and liberals the idea they already won and don't need to put in any more effort

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

V. Illych L. posted:

combined with a kind of fervent nationalist revanchism even though no territory has been lost and all America's blunders have been entirely self inflicted and cosmetic.

I think John Dolan makes the point that everyone always has to believe that they're the victim - all nationalism is wounded nationalism. it just seems red America is taking it to new heights of insisting they are mortally wounded and disenfranchised whilst ruling the world from a rascal scooter.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Often Abbreviated posted:

combined with a kind of fervent nationalist revanchism even though no territory has been lost and all America's blunders have been entirely self inflicted and cosmetic.

I think John Dolan makes the point that everyone always has to believe that they're the victim - all nationalism is wounded nationalism. it just seems red America is taking it to new heights of insisting they are mortally wounded and disenfranchised whilst ruling the world from a rascal scooter.

Dolan is a really interesting guy. I've been very much enjoying RWN, it's really my speed. Lots of good insights, not so many constant interruptions. Dolan and Ames have a good flow and plenty to say.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

MizPiz posted:

Which is kind of my point. The culture war stuff is only going to get ever more prevalent with a Biden administration since it's literally the only thing they have that isn't explicitly right wing.

even the cultural media of the liberals is right wing. every liberal creams their jeans over Hamilton but if you strip away the woke poc rap musical paintjob on it the ideology of the show is completely indistinguishable from some libertarian crank.

I both do and don’t want to see a chapo ep on Hamilton now that the movie is out.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Gee It's almost like running on the animus of like a screencap of a Seanbaby's Probe article or an Internet Archive snap from a Gaping Maw piece from Rotten.com, over a VHS filter with the words "THEY TOOK THIS AWAY FROM YOU" is a myopic as hell idea.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

V. Illych L. posted:

It's because the Liberals have pretty much dominated the culture war for the past 40 years, give or take a blip post-9/11.

Economically and politically the right has never been stronger, but they have no cultural clout and can never be considered "cool" and they're mad as hell about it.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Retromancer posted:

even the cultural media of the liberals is right wing. every liberal creams their jeans over Hamilton but if you strip away the woke poc rap musical paintjob on it the ideology of the show is completely indistinguishable from some libertarian crank.

I both do and don’t want to see a chapo ep on Hamilton now that the movie is out.

Didn't they do a long bit on Hamilton in one of the early episodes?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

The latest ALAB is a real banger.

it really hooked its claws in me

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Retromancer posted:

Economically and politically the right has never been stronger, but they have no cultural clout and can never be considered "cool" and they're mad as hell about it.

there is right wing cultural clout, not so much in overt racism and xenophobia but in every small town white dad cop/farmer/troop/small businessman protagonist in every movie. even if the script demands they be some poindexter scientist or engineer, the movie will go out of it's way to show they're a cool, tough, roughneck scientist who lives in the COUNTRY and owns GUNS. city slicker professionals by contrast are pretty universally despised in culture, even if they too are white dads. the age when a professional white guy with shirtsleeves, a combover, and a pocket protector could be a hero ended generations ago.

my pet theory is that even though that rough ridin', country music lovin', coal rollin' tough guy aesthetic is still massively popular and well-served by culture, it's such an odious personality type to be that the people that follow it end up mad as hell because no-one likes them. any white dad that takes seriously the idea of becoming the Movie White Dad, who can always solve any problem with cars and guns and a badass don't-gently caress-with-me attitude ends up mad and isolated because even those guys can't stand being around each other.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

Didn't they do a long bit on Hamilton in one of the early episodes?

I vaguely remember them doing riffs on it back in like 2016 but that is the before time.

Also, the show is probably going to get another surge of popularity now that people don't need $800 to see it.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
The perfect goon podcast is the Andy Dick podcast where he got kicked off his own podcast and it became a podcast about Dino Stamatoplous eating old food shipped in from out of state

E: somewhere I have saved the episode where Uber calls Andy Dick to inquire about him sexually assaulting his driver

Hardon Crime has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Jul 7, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Often Abbreviated posted:

there is right wing cultural clout, not so much in overt racism and xenophobia but in every small town white dad cop/farmer/troop/small businessman protagonist in every movie. even if the script demands they be some poindexter scientist or engineer, the movie will go out of it's way to show they're a cool, tough, roughneck scientist who lives in the COUNTRY and owns GUNS. city slicker professionals by contrast are pretty universally despised in culture, even if they too are white dads. the age when a professional white guy with shirtsleeves, a combover, and a pocket protector could be a hero ended generations ago.

jeff goldblum's character in independence day owned but you're right that it was shown clashing against will smith

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

cumulatively.

I loving love Dostoevsky and would love this, although I like The Possessed more

started listening to Ballin' Out Super again, it's both real annoying and real good at the same time

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Dunno, I mean, I agree with a lot of them on where we're headed, but not all of them have a complete worldview like that, and those who do blame "leftists" usually just mean democrats/liberals/jews/any politician they're not a fan of. Communists are a bigger boogeyman among neolibs and libertarians than with the right proper in my experience.

The left heading off the worst of the coming eco-disaster and resulting race/class war is a dead dream. I would argue that the losses of Bernie and Corbyn was not just the last chance for something like that, but demonstrated that meaningful victories for the left are impossible in a liberal democracy; the conditions make it very difficult to start with, and capital is willing and able to tip the scales should the need arise.

Being a leftist is still the better choice though; the base for the right will not be spared the horrors that are coming, not for long. The right has demonstrated that the in-group is amazingly small, and lumpen "middle class" white dudes are most decidedly not getting on the ark. Realistically, even the Bezos of the world will be brought low eventually due to plagues or whatever. As a leftist you will at least have the moral high ground and a logically sound ideology, for what that is worth. Maybe we can build something from the ashes.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Matt hit it right on the head early on in this episode that the vast majority of anti-trump conservatives only started opposing him because they couldn't get jobs in his administration.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think that a lot of them have realized Trump is a dead end. He doesn't help anybody electorally, he has no successor, and he apparently does drive off suburban of voters in numbers that aren't made up by the hooting freaks he brings in. And biggest of all, everybody knows the current situation is very bad and it's gonna get laid at Trump's feet. So they lose nothing by cutting themselves off from him, and might even be able to escape some damage to the reputation of the Republican party.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lady Militant posted:

Matt hit it right on the head early on in this episode that the vast majority of anti-trump conservatives only started opposing him because they couldn't get jobs in his administration.

Remember Romney's embarassing dinner photo when he was begging for a job?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

there are goon podcasts

chapo trap house

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

four ex lf posters and a girl talking abotu the politics of the day with their signature 'extremely online' wit

except the girl sucks and is dumb as hell

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

5-4 has replaced citations needed as my podcast of choice

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

zegermans posted:

actually I have been following the girl on twitter for years and let me tell you

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zegermans posted:

Shut up zegermans.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it’s be slashie/tinybrontosaurus and she’d be hijacking the pod to do struggle sessions for 1.5 hrs each time

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MizPiz posted:

Anyone have that tweet of Conway's daughter making fun of him?

can’t find a screencap but it went something like:

quote:

you’re just mad that i’m finally getting my voice heard. sorry your marriage failed 💅🏼

— CLAUDIA CONWAY (@claudiamconwayy) July 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

zegermans posted:

5-4 has replaced citations needed as my podcast of choice

It's awesome