Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

so, what does the absolute implosion of the film and theater industry for 9 solid months this year mean for us ever getting part 2 of this film,?? which was only in pre-production as far as I'm aware and probably quite dependent on ticket sales of part 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dune is a no-film and you can watch it and its sequel in no-cinemas

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm still not clear on whether principal photography was/is for both parts. Hope they dont end up doing something like slapping together a one-movie cut to burn it off or just make the first half

Villeneuve's Dune a documentary coming to Quibi 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If Dune is one of the 5 movies that actually releases this year...does that mean that it's automatically Best Picture? :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the year of Dune, Birds of Prey and Sonic the Hedgheog

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hard to see Dune winning against the competition tbf

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bubblyblubber posted:

My friend is slowly going insane with the quarantine restrictions and picked knitting back up, so I designed a pattern for a scarf:

I'll post pictures of the finished product as soon as quarantine lifts or Shai hulud cleanses the land of the failson taint, whatever comes first.

This is loving rad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sonic running along the back of Shai-Hulud

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

leto ii gotta go fast

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anne Frank Funk posted:

No I will never really explain what these mean

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Sonic was actually well-received

Turds of Prey not so much

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anne Frank Funk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-Kx5M-8Ak

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

I thought Sonic was actually well-received

In a exceeded comically low expectations sort of way, not an oscar contender sort of way lol

I think the competition is TENET actually

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Carrey's portrayal of Robotnik getting a nomination would be well deserved, and also funny as hell.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

threelemmings posted:

orange Catholic.

I do really wonder how that one went down in Northern Ireland back in the day :sun:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not keeping up on Dune news on a daily basis, but last I saw they were going ahead with filming additional scenes during post production, and the movie's still slated for a 2021 release.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sonic running along the back of Shai-Hulud

Sonic analysis: am moving at dangerous speed

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Twitch posted:

I'm not keeping up on Dune news on a daily basis, but last I saw they were going ahead with filming additional scenes during post production, and the movie's still slated for a 2021 release.

wasn't it slated for november/december 2020? or was it postponed due to covid? (I assumed it was)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

My friend is slowly going insane with the quarantine restrictions and picked knitting back up, so I designed a pattern for a scarf:

I'll post pictures of the finished product as soon as quarantine lifts or Shai hulud cleanses the land of the failson taint, whatever comes first.

That is loving dope and I would get a second mortgage to afford one

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I do really wonder how that one went down in Northern Ireland back in the day :sun:

I also had to think about this when I first read it. Is Orange Catholicism a sort of new synthesis of the various Christian denominations?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Xaintrailles posted:

Carrey's portrayal of Robotnik getting a nomination would be well deserved, and also funny as hell.

Say what you will about him, he does NOT phone poo poo in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

I also had to think about this when I first read it. Is Orange Catholicism a sort of new synthesis of the various Christian denominations?

The Dune Encyclopedia has the full story iirc, also one of the notes? It's more a supposedly universal holy text that apparently got adopted by the Empire at some point despite initial shenanigans. A lot of religions are implied to have merged somehow, like Zensunni. Not sure on the realism of that, but weirder things have happened.

priznat posted:

Say what you will about him, he does NOT phone poo poo in.

Continues the theme of Robotnik being the best part of anything Sonic.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Phlegmish posted:

yeah it's explicitly a combo of Orange order class protestantism and Catholicism, b/c herbert looked at the troubles and decided that would be a great way to synthesize a religion

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow I finally figure something out for myself in Dune, feel like less of a dumb-dumb now

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah it's explicitly a combo of Orange order class protestantism and Catholicism, b/c herbert looked at the troubles and decided that would be a great way to synthesize a religion

Maybe it's a reference as far as the name goes (and if you believe the words of the son who will not be named), but it's explicitly a text that incorporates various fusions of Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Phlegmish posted:

Wow I finally figure something out for myself in Dune, feel like less of a dumb-dumb now

Hey you’re one step ahead of brian so hold your head up high.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

No Pants posted:

Maybe it's a reference as far as the name goes (and if you believe the words of the son who will not be named), but it's explicitly a text that incorporates various fusions of Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism.

Kull wahad

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I only remember that because the stated reason for producing said book sounded stupid, and it kind of stuck out as something Frank didn't spend enough time thinking about.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

No I will never really explain what these mean

the dreaded no-post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's just as well they don't go into the details of how it actually got popular, though it is noted the scholars who brought it to the Emperor seemed to impress him until he found the lead one raping his wife (but in retrospect it may have been a consensual encounter) and executed them all, step 2 ???, and then suddenly it's the most popular holy book in the galaxy. It's more funny given way weirder things have happened in history, like Christianity going from a persecuted minority religion to the official state religion of the Roman Empire.

IIRC it's noted that the Empire is fairly religiously tolerant, since a bunch of weirdo monks on some distant planet aren't really a threat to the order, but the Fremen and followers of Paul do a shitload of atrocities during the jihad to spread their religion regardless of whether Paul wants them to or not, which Paul realises makes him worse than the status quo in the long run.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No Pants posted:

I only remember that because the stated reason for producing said book sounded stupid, and it kind of stuck out as something Frank didn't spend enough time thinking about.

I mean there's a whole appendix in Dune about how it was created and how it instantly caused more and more bloody religious wars than anything before

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sebmojo posted:

I mean there's a whole appendix in Dune about how it was created and how it instantly caused more and more bloody religious wars than anything before

I'm pretty sure this is basically how you measure the success of a holy book.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

George Lucas presents The Bible: Special Edition.

Matthew always intended to have a detailed scene showing exactly how the loaves & fishes fed 5000, but the technology just wasn't ready and it got shortened considerably. Now, for the first time...

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Too late for the FaceApp thread, quite problematic, and very lazily done, but here's Lynch's Dune for y'all:

https://imgur.com/a/sfiqvZk

A few examples:

Fake edit: FaceApp seems to think Linda Hunt/Shadout Mapes is masculine to begin with and wants to transform to feminine. Also, when the scene includes pugs, the app wants to turn them into hair.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rise of skywalker sequel’s looking pretty good

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

lmao

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

You are so beautiful, my baroness :swoon:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lovely feyd indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Beefswelling