Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

RockyB posted:

Don't worry everyone, Chuka is here to save us from Capitalism by joining a bank PR Firm. Along with Luciana Berger too so it's a non-political CUKTIG reunion.

ESG = Environmental and Social Governance, dontcha know.

E: Oh I see, they're PR dickheads. Eh, better than facebook I guess.

hahahahaha the idea of anyone tangentially related to CHUK working in branding ahahahahahahahahahahaah

231 AD March - August – Battle of Mount Qi: The Chinese state of Shu Han gains a tactical victory, and the state of Cao Wei a strategic victory.
e: cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Camrath sobbing, frantically trying to make ten grand's worth of fudge as government stimulus vouchers pour through the letterbox

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SpaceCommie posted:

Submitted a complaint to the party, including a screenshot of the tweet.

I started a fight in our CLP whatsapp group by calling JKR the replacement Glinner and 100% transphobic when someone posted one of her threads last week.

Having to avoid the temptation to bring it back up again now ...

https://twitter.com/The_West_Trad/status/1280235854858825731?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Angepain posted:

The specific kind of oppression that Gilead delivers to women, that the book spends most of its time going into, would probably be delivered based on assigned gender at birth, thus remaining consistent with the terf view that oppression against "biological" "sex" is the only one that matters. The book doesn't go into it, but I assume terfs imagine that trans women would be able to live as men, and that this would be perfectly fine for all concerned with absolutely no problems of a) the trans person having to deal with living as the wrong gender b) the society allowing a person with Bad Gender Thoughts to even exist, because they have no idea what being trans is and think we're all making it up.

I haven’t read the Handmaid’s Tale, but I have watched most of the show with my wife. And since Atwood was a producer and supposedly hands on her involvement with the show, I think the show is a good representation of her work.

One of the thing that comes up a lot in the background is the constant mentions of executions. You see hanged bodies in the streets of Gilead all the time.

When it comes to their crime you get listings like child killer (IE was a doctor who performed abortions.) adulterer (had an affair) and gender traitors. (Which I think is anyone who was LGBTQA and couldn’t reproduce.)

So, I’m fairly confident that in THT, Transgender people were being horribly oppressed and murdered along with most people in that totalitarian regime.

Also, if you are an expectant parent,THT is not a great TV show to be watching as it caused my wife and I tons of stress. Granted in hindsight it was immaterial, but still. It’s a good TV show, but not everybody’s cup of tea.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'm like 80% sure I went to uni with Calum Campbell, who wasn't super involved in student politics stuff but was very anti-war and pro-palestine. I also vaguely remember him joining in with chucking stuff at the young conservatives on election night 2010.

Would be disappointed if he's now gone a bit alt-right.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Seems like they might cut stamp duty at least (not that helps 95% of people)

Honestly I can't think of anything worse to cut, lets inflate the property market a little more while helping people who are able to buy/sell houses at the start of probably the worst recession in history.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoy that account.
https://twitter.com/The_West_Trad/status/1279225370487615489

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
A recommendation for something to add to the OP: David Harvey's 'A Brief History of Neoliberalism' is a pretty decent introduction to the political theory that centrists love to pretend doesn't exist. It's relatively short (200ish pages), mostly accessibly written, and very critically engaging. Worth a read for sure.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm like 80% sure I went to uni with Calum Campbell, who wasn't super involved in student politics stuff but was very anti-war and pro-palestine. I also vaguely remember him joining in with chucking stuff at the young conservatives on election night 2010.

Would be disappointed if he's now gone a bit alt-right.

He's not gone alt-right, he's just gone alt-centre.

Went out wearing a mask earlier, it's not mandatory until the end of the week but need to get used to it. Anyway, the masks I have are clearly too small & barely cover my mouth & nose, so that rocks. And when they do cover my nose my glasses steam up and I can't loving see. So this is going to be a blast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the glasses thing has been a real issue for me. I've tried three different masks including the standard disposable ones and they all do it. Gonna get hit by a bus avoiding the 'rona.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The masks my sister sewed for me have a bit of pipecleaner or something across the bridge of the nose to make it fit better and when that's in place I find I have much less of a problem with my glasses fogging up. Think I'm going to try making some myself because having to wash them every time I come back inside means they're sometimes still damp when I need them.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

stev posted:

Gonna get hit by a bus avoiding the 'rona.

If it's any consolation, the bus will be full of the 'rona.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tom Watson is just so poo poo.

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1280494993640247296

You'd think that he'd have to choose a side between the TERFs and the guy who invites 16 year old girls into his dressing room but apparently not.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

A recommendation for something to add to the OP: David Harvey's 'A Brief History of Neoliberalism' is a pretty decent introduction to the political theory that centrists love to pretend doesn't exist. It's relatively short (200ish pages), mostly accessibly written, and very critically engaging. Worth a read for sure.

He also has a pretty good podcast called David Harvey’s Anti-Capitalist Chronicles.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

And when they do cover my nose my glasses steam up and I can't loving see. So this is going to be a blast.

I was troubled by this and also feeling my eyelashes ruffled by breath escaping upwards until I made a mask with foam padding at the top. I put a single twist in the foam where it goes over the nose, and elsewhere it just moulds to my face shape and forms a nice barrier.

I have a flattish nose, however.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gonzo McFee posted:

You'd think that he'd have to choose a side between the TERFs and the guy who invites 16 year old girls into his dressing room but apparently not.

Is the guy David Walliams?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

floofyscorp posted:

The masks my sister sewed for me have a bit of pipecleaner or something across the bridge of the nose to make it fit better and when that's in place I find I have much less of a problem with my glasses fogging up. Think I'm going to try making some myself because having to wash them every time I come back inside means they're sometimes still damp when I need them.

You should try and have all your masks have some sort of nose seal, by the by, it makes them a lot more effective and less annoying to wear. both the ones I made do, one is a paperclip the other is a bag tie, I think.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is the guy David Walliams?

Yes although that photo is heavily airbrushed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

forkboy84 posted:

Probably now I'm excited by the idea it'll come with so many caveats like I can only spend it in loving Wetherspoons or on a Dyson.

Would love a new vacuum cleaner tbh, one of those cordless stick ones, phwoar!

Sounds like insulation grants might be coming back which would also be Quite Nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who would have thought tom watson would have dodgy views about noncing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tarnop posted:

At 12 I was firmly in the "my parents won't let me rent horror films, but the library will let me borrow Stephen King books" phase.

Never did me any harm!

Yeah I think I was reading stuff like irvine welsh at that age. Jimmy Savile inspired necrophilia stories and hard drug abuse.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Reading that Tweet has reminded me of something I was thinking about.

I honestly believe/hope that in 10-20 years time, we will look back on media now and feel it’s problematic for all it’s fatphobic content in the same way we are doing that with media with problematic racial/sexist content.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

ThomasPaine posted:

Camrath sobbing, frantically trying to make ten grand's worth of fudge as government stimulus vouchers pour through the letterbox

You joke, but after the amount you guys ordered this month I’ve already had to buy new pans etc so I can cook in larger batches.

Got 5kg of dark chocolate cooling on the shelf right now, and my arms are /killing/ from the stirring/beating/pouring. Makes me feel a bit less bad about not working out today..

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The man who went after the one tory who isn't a nonce

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Question IRL posted:

Reading that Tweet has reminded me of something I was thinking about.

I honestly believe/hope that in 10-20 years time, we will look back on media now and feel it’s problematic for all it’s fatphobic content in the same way we are doing that with media with problematic racial/sexist content.

Same but with gingers

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/foreignoffice/status/1280159816493731841

https://twitter.com/NoGoodLandlords/status/1280514351808602116

Words mean nothing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jippa posted:

Yeah I think I was reading stuff like irvine welsh at that age. Jimmy Savile inspired necrophilia stories and hard drug abuse.

I got my local library to order in Bill Drummond's book about going to the north pole via a Nazi werewolf castle. I think I read about it in NME. I didn't discover Irvine Welsh until after the Trainspotting movie got made.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oh but they do. It's just:

Murder of a journalist or a tax assessor, or another person that the Tories could conceivably see as "just like them"? That's worth two dozen sanctions for some of the "gravest human rights violations" imaginable.

Murder, torture and starvation of tens of thousands impoverished people, including children? That's Tuesday.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tarnop posted:

I got my local library to order in Bill Drummond's book about going to the north pole via a Nazi werewolf castle. I think I read about it in NME. I didn't discover Irvine Welsh until after the Trainspotting movie got made.

I was trying to think did "young adult" stuff exist back then? Most people I knew read fantasy stuff or tom clancy (lol) which were nerdy but definitely aimed at adults.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't saudi arabia chop a journalist into little pieces and then get a guy who looked nothing like him to walk out in his clothes or something?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't saudi arabia chop a journalist into little pieces and then get a guy who looked nothing like him to walk out in his clothes or something?

Yeah that's one of the two "gravest human rights violations and abuses in the world", the other being corrupt Russian government officials murdering an accountant for exposing government corruption.

Nevermind all the other terrible stuff they do. That's just "potential" human rights abuses.

e:And perfectly fine to help out with of course, they're allies.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 7, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jippa posted:

I was trying to think did "young adult" stuff exist back then? Most people I knew read fantasy stuff or tom clancy (lol) which were nerdy but definitely aimed at adults.

There were definitely YA-styled fantasy novels (the majority of David Eddings' canon comes to mind) but they weren't realyl marketed that way.

Harry Potter was really the kickoff of the category, though you could argue its roots go back as far as the hobbit.

That or things like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and so forth, the latter in particular was old when I was reading them as a kid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

There was tons of the stuff. The ColSec trilogy is indistinguishable from the likes of The Hunger Games. It just got called things like Teenage Fiction instead of Young Adult, because adults weren't reading it and thus not in need of an excuse to be reading kids books.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

thespaceinvader posted:

There were definitely YA-styled fantasy novels (the majority of David Eddings' canon comes to mind) but they weren't realyl marketed that way.

Harry Potter was really the kickoff of the category, though you could argue its roots go back as far as the hobbit.

That or things like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and so forth, the latter in particular was old when I was reading them as a kid.

There were (are?) also a fair few novels marketed as YA that don't really fit that mold and feature copious sex and violence. See Twilight and the like.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Camrath posted:

You joke, but after the amount you guys ordered this month I’ve already had to buy new pans etc so I can cook in larger batches.

Got 5kg of dark chocolate cooling on the shelf right now, and my arms are /killing/ from the stirring/beating/pouring. Makes me feel a bit less bad about not working out today..

Have you ever considered making flapjacks?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Jedit posted:

There was tons of the stuff. The ColSec trilogy is indistinguishable from the likes of The Hunger Games. It just got called things like Teenage Fiction instead of Young Adult, because adults weren't reading it and thus not in need of an excuse to be reading kids books.

Maybe it was just me and my friends then I have never even heard of any of them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Strangely, while several papers are running a story on people calling Walliams' books poo poo, I haven't seen any reporting on the dressing room stuff. Even if they don't want to call him a nonce straight up, you'd think something equivocal like 'Walliams accused of "inappropriate" relationship' wouldn't be too much of a stretch to defend printing given all those photos and text logs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jippa posted:

It's pretty much always been around. I remember reading stuff like the Tripods books as a kid (if you're old enough to remember the TV series). Heinlein's 'juveniles' like Citizen of the Galaxy were intentionally written for kids and that was back in the 40s.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

One particular YA series I liked as a young teen was "The Sten Chronicles" which was an intentionally letist(-ish) milhist-inspired sci-fi. Has about 4 sex scenes per book.

But no swearing; it was sold in the US after all. Plenty of prostitution and drugs though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-53315702

quote:

A number of pubs in England have shut after customers tested positive for coronavirus.

At least three establishments announced they had shut their doors again just days after reopening at the weekend.

Here is my shocked face: :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

big scary monsters posted:

Strangely, while several papers are running a story on people calling Walliams' books poo poo, I haven't seen any reporting on the dressing room stuff. Even if they don't want to call him a nonce straight up, you'd think something equivocal like 'Walliams accused of "inappropriate" relationship' wouldn't be too much of a stretch to defend printing given all those photos and text logs.

They don't want to frame that sort of relationship as inappropriate because it would result in every single newspaper owner being faced with the same accusation.