Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

The talk about the Sengoku Driver reminded me of the Ryouma Wärring debacle, which in turn made me wonder.

What's everyone's favorite toku-related meme? I don't know if "everything about Dan Kuroto" counts. If it does, cool, that's easy. If not, then... the same, Brown! Richaaaaard! Brown!

I mean the answer is simple

This must be a Golgom plot!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Burkion posted:

This must be a Golgom plot!

It can't be, because this is all Decade's fault.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Edit - Nevermind, I’m being a dumb person.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fred is on posted:

It can't be, because this is all Decade's fault.
But Decade... has no story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Edit - Nevermind, I’m being a dumb person.

I am genuinely curious what you asked/said

Also here's what I'll say for Ultraman Gaia. I love the action, I love the suits, I love the monsters, I think Blitz Blots is one of the best Tokusatsu villains period from design to presence to impact, I love the true villain, I love the physicality of the whole thing, I love the effects, I love the choreography, and I love the concept

gently caress Gaia. Gaia broke my heart.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what series did the Red King that was actually red appear in?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero, according to Ultra wiki.

Here's the actual video proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVPRD3rrpqc

And yes, it is a super dumb way for the producers to kill off a monster by throwing its suit off a cliff a kaiju to die.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

PMush Perfect posted:

What's everyone's favorite toku-related meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwjHMrCksW0

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

this ones also a personal favorite

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

I am genuinely curious what you asked/said

Also here's what I'll say for Ultraman Gaia. I love the action, I love the suits, I love the monsters, I think Blitz Blots is one of the best Tokusatsu villains period from design to presence to impact, I love the true villain, I love the physicality of the whole thing, I love the effects, I love the choreography, and I love the concept

gently caress Gaia. Gaia broke my heart.

I dunno, I just. I don't wanna go into all this looking for something wrong, if that makes sense.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

The talk about the Sengoku Driver reminded me of the Ryouma Wärring debacle, which in turn made me wonder.

What's everyone's favorite toku-related meme? I don't know if "everything about Dan Kuroto" counts. If it does, cool, that's easy. If not, then... the same, Brown! Richaaaaard! Brown!
I dislike it when they translate names, it hardly ever ends well.

I'm partial to the cake boss.

So many different inflections. :allears: Woz was really the best part of Zio.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

Out of curiosity, I read a little of Ninninger's summary on TV Tropes, and... okay, yeah, I can see why people wouldn't like it. Takaharu sound like a very bad Red (hot-headed, dumb, AND has a catchphrase?), but... the bit on Fuuka says that she has very little patience for his stupidity? Doesn't that mean that she calls him out on him being a moron? Shouldn't that mitigate it?

Who uses TV Tropes to look up info on a sentai rather than just reading the Power Rangers/Super Sentai wiki? or even just regular Wikipedia? Bizarre.

Geostomp posted:

If they do, they have to remake the suit. It looked great for what it was, but we can do better than an Ex-Aid kitbash with Zi-O’s belt.

I admit to liking the idea of Quiz, but worry that his gimmick would get old fast.

The gimmick would be one of those things that they'd lean heavily on in the first few episodes, but stop using as the series goes on. The big question is what the upgrades would be and would they all be shaped like punctuation?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What was the last Sentai where everybody equal play, more or less? (Bonus points if it was, you know, interesting equal play.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Timeranger/Time Force? Red Pink and Fire/Quantum all have interesting stuff going on and I remeber the other rangers being fun in TF, though Yellow was a little forgettable.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

PMush Perfect posted:

Redman. Anything Redman.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ultraman Taiga movie finally has a release date, August 7th! Due to the pandemic it was put aside indefinitely but now it's a go!

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvrAClBFHKA

Original trailer with Ultraman Taiga asking kids to do the "three pledges" in order to safely go to the movie during the pandemic to stay safe at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViKqGA_5XEg

Edit: the three pledges are a fun throwback in a way. In the 70s there were the "5 Ultra Oaths" that apparently were taught to Ultras in the Land Of Light that were passed on to the kids watching the show:

I will not go to school on an empty stomach
I will go out and play when the weather is good.
I will watch out for cars when watching the street.
I will not rely on others.
I will play and run around barefoot.

Edit 2: I just found out that there is a new set of 5 Ultra Oaths for kids during the pandemic :unsmith:

Do your best to stay at home.
Gargle and rinse your mouth properly.
Keep washing your hands until you sang your favorite song to the end.
Get what exercise you can at home and move your body.
Keep doing what you can and don't give up.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how is it being released in Japan (that is, theatrically, online only, or straight to DVD/BD)?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, how is it being released in Japan (that is, theatrically, online only, or straight to DVD/BD)?

Theatrically. The 3 pledges is for how to go watch the movie safely. (Get plenty of rest and make sure you are healthy, wear a mask, and wash your hands before and after the movie). Normally the movie is released just before the premier of the new series. This movie was really being pushed as a big deal as it was the end of the New Generation Ultras. I'm hoping that Mill Creek puts out Taiga and the movie as a set before the end of the year myself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Theatrically. The 3 pledges is for how to go watch the movie safely. (Get plenty of rest and make sure you are healthy, wear a mask, and wash your hands before and after the movie). Normally the movie is released just before the premier of the new series. This movie was really being pushed as a big deal as it was the end of the New Generation Ultras. I'm hoping that Mill Creek puts out Taiga and the movie as a set before the end of the year myself.

Ah, I wasn’t aware theaters were open in Japan currently. Though the state of emergency was lifted recently and pretty much every TV program over there is back on the air now so I guess it makes sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/spaceghosted/status/1280290089654988800?s=19

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
After watching more Beast Morphers and loving the Evox/Roxy/Blaze/Scrozzle dynamic, I have come to the conclusion that Sentai/Power Rangers villains are at their best when they are always sniping, snarking, undermining and feuding among each other

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also related to memes and Sevengar AND Redman, as proof that UltraSeven loves his children equally (except Zero)

https://jasonheichel.tumblr.com/post/144003765978/the-end-of-redmans-reign-of-terror-apologies

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Junpei posted:

After watching more Beast Morphers and loving the Evox/Roxy/Blaze/Scrozzle dynamic, I have come to the conclusion that Sentai/Power Rangers villains are at their best when they are always sniping, snarking, undermining and feuding among each other

"You spent 2,000 year looking for a tub of snot?!"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dawgstar posted:

What was the last Sentai where everybody equal play, more or less? (Bonus points if it was, you know, interesting equal play.)

Kiramager so far, except for maybe Sayo. Before that, Zyuohger was pretty good in giving everyone spotlight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LastGoodBoy posted:

"You spent 2,000 year looking for a tub of snot?!"

It's been too long since I watched that movie

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

It's been too long since I watched that movie

It's a lovely movie, but some of the trivia for it is fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kiramager so far, except for maybe Sayo. Before that, Zyuohger was pretty good in giving everyone spotlight.

Oh, cool. I'll give them a shot.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

PMush Perfect posted:

Clearly, this is all Decade's fault!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

PMush Perfect posted:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Gripweed posted:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
jeez, that Jirass fight in episode 10 of Ultraman. i was like "heh, this skeet shooting bit is fun" but then Ultraman tears off the monster's frills and plays blimmin' matador with them :stare:

(i realise i probably don't need to spoiler 54 year old episodes of television but :shrug:)

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 8, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
01 Ep37:
Naki is awesome. Good thing Gai grabbed his driver before they did that. Also Zaia underwear!

I guess this is the start of the rumored Gai rememption, which seems even more ridiculous considering he had planned to screw over all his customers by making them go crazy and attack people. Needing to be stopped by force. :psyduck:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

“I’m a frog.”

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

PMush Perfect posted:

Sentai roll calls in non-toku stuff. Ginyu Force, represent.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

"WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE, TACHIBANA!" is something my friends I have been yelling at each other in video games for about a decade.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

IAWE is very high on my list of Toku Things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a very specific NANI that comes up in Nexus that was hilariously preformed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I always pronounce "decade", the unit of time, like "decayed", like in Decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DoctorWhat posted:

I always pronounce "decade", the unit of time, like "decayed", like in Decade

Same here. I know it's wrong but my brain has already decided it is the right way to pronounce it and I can't change its mind.