Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

101 posted:

They break (and Twitter itself refuses to load images) whenever I use a VPN. Could that be the issue?

I don't think it's Awful

Ohhhhh poo poo they work? Not on a vpn...

Edit: wait wtf my setting for it was turned off which Is something I’d never do. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Test:

Another test:

Neat!

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 7, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s copying the URL for the page, not the image, I think.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You’d be correct. Gotta check the direct link option for the imgur portion of the shortcut. Also it turns out that you can roll your own shortcut flows in my work policy so that’s nice.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rinkles posted:

If SA's not quite dead, I'd like to suggest a minor feature for Awful. Would it be a lot of work, and something others don't mind, to make pressing the bookmarks button when already viewing bookmarks scroll the page to the top? Just a way to make refreshing the tab more convenient.

I’d just like to second this idea if it’s feasible, as it seems handy if you have a long bookmark list.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fartknocker posted:

I’d just like to second this idea if it’s feasible, as it seems handy if you have a long bookmark list.

you can just tap the status bar at the top of the screen. works on any iOS scroll view

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

carry on then posted:

you can just tap the status bar at the top of the screen. works on any iOS scroll view

For me it's a question of comfort, especially with a larger screen. YouTube and Twitter and probably others work this way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rinkles posted:

For me it's a question of comfort, especially with a larger screen. YouTube and Twitter and probably others work this way.

Yeah, I think we added re-tap-refresh to the FB app when the first big phone screens started to happen. Would you want it to refresh, or just scroll?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Think scrolling is enough.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I think we added re-tap-refresh to the FB app when the first big phone screens started to happen. Would you want it to refresh, or just scroll?

If you're not at the the top of the list: scroll to top
If you are at the top of the list: refresh?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m into that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The iOS 14 beta was telling on Awful saying it was accessing the clipboard when you have something there. Don’t know if there is a bug or other reason but does it specifically need to read the clipboard when you swap back and forth?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is that tied to the feature where it can load a thread that's on your clipboard?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

Is that tied to the feature where it can load a thread that's on your clipboard?

Yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I’m sure a bunch of those apps do innocent things like that. Useful check to have though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

URL-sniffing is probably the most common legitimate sniffing case.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It’s toggleable in setttings if you don’t use the feature and the prompts are annoying. We might have to start defaulting to Off because complaints will be coming once iOS 14 releases.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i can’t see the forums

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

John Romero posted:

i can’t see the forums

Same. Hopefully there’s a fix.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Same. Hopefully there’s a fix.

mods??????

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

It’s toggleable in setttings if you don’t use the feature and the prompts are annoying. We might have to start defaulting to Off because complaints will be coming once iOS 14 releases.

I think 14 also added an API that will actually let you check if the clipboard contents match some pattern before reading it, so theoretically Awful could ask iOS if it’s an SA url and then only actually read it if that check comes back true.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I think 14 also added an API that will actually let you check if the clipboard contents match some pattern before reading it, so theoretically Awful could ask iOS if it’s an SA url and then only actually read it if that check comes back true.

Well we use imgur urls too for stuff.

Is setting per app or a global one?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Well we use imgur urls too for stuff.

I’m talking specifically about when Awful automatically reads your clipboard when you open the app, not when a user manually tells it to paste. Only SA urls are relevant there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Small request and not super important, but can the app pass on the &noseen=1 tag from the Lepers Colony URLs? Not a high priority thing obviously.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Charles posted:

Small request and not super important, but can the app pass on the &noseen=1 tag from the Lepers Colony URLs? Not a high priority thing obviously.

Yeah, this is a nice thing that the forums changed, would be great if the app could

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

John Romero posted:

i can’t see the forums

If you have a bookmark for a thread in a forum you want to check out, you can open that thread and then click the “parent forum” button at the top and see the forum that way.

But the forum list is lost.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you have a bookmark for a thread in a forum you want to check out, you can open that thread and then click the “parent forum” button at the top and see the forum that way.

But the forum list is lost.

alright if it isn’t gonna be fixed is there any other app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

John Romero posted:

I can’t fix what I can’t reproduce and don’t understand. As soon as it happens to me I can try to figure it out but right now I don’t have the time to teach myself every line of code and try to guess how it might be going wrong with no ability to check.

The website should still work from your phone. If it doesn’t that would be very interesting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John Romero posted:

Yeah your post is incredibly vague.

Did you try reinstalling?

What version of iOS? What phone? Like give us something to go off here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

John Romero posted:

john romero's about to make you his bitch.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

I’m sorry guys it just seemed like this was a known issue that wasn’t being fixed judging by the posts on it. There’s no forums listed and I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John Romero posted:

I’m sorry guys it just seemed like this was a known issue that wasn’t being fixed judging by the posts on it. There’s no forums listed and I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times

What iOS version are you on? You aren't jail broken are you?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

What iOS version are you on? You aren't jail broken are you?

I’m not jail broken and I’m on 13.5.1

It is really weird that I can get to individual forums with the parent forum link. I can also add bookmarks from the web and see them in my bookmark list. But really I exist in a handful of threads so it’s livable for now.

Can I help troubleshoot somehow?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Is it perhaps an issue with the FaceID style layouts vs the older TouchID etc? I think maybe all the complaints in the thread so far (including Fool of Sound's screenshot, and mb someone else's phone specification too) have been from iPhone X and similar, not iPhone 8 and similar.

This'll be easy to disprove if it's not the case, too! I haven't experienced this issue, and I've got an iPhone 8+.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My iPad lost the forums list. My iPhone 11 Pro Maxxxx whatever still has it. Both are up to date and are configured the same way except for the dark mode option.

I guess I could uninstall and reinstall awful on my iPad?

Minkpan
Dec 2, 2003
To tell the truth, my brother doesn't really do much of anything

heated game moment posted:

Mine’s been doing this for a few days as well

Mine has been doing this for weeks.
Someone above my original post about it discussed working around the issue by bookmarking a thread in each forum you want to visit. In my case (and theirs), bookmarks are still visible, and the parent forum buttons are accessible from there. It is a cumbersome workaround, though.
Same weird authentication issue discussed above, too. It won’t let me log in, but quitting and relaunching lands me in a logged in state, even though the app tells me it refuses the credentials.
iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13.5.1

Minkpan fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 15, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is weird and I’m going to assume everyone has tried clearing the cache in the app?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Are we talking about being able to browse non-bookmarked threads?

I can browse through them no problem. No having to do all this "parent" stuff.

I have an XS Max, iOS 13.5.1, Awful 4.3 to add a data point.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding and Kramer'd in on a different issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Are we talking about being able to browse non-bookmarked threads?

I can browse through them no problem. No having to do all this "parent" stuff.

I have an XS Max, iOS 13.5.1, Awful 4.3 to add a data point.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding and Kramer'd in on a different issue.

Yeah I am going to assume that is what they mean from their description. I'm not having the issue either on my iPad or iPhone 11 Pro Maxxxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No issues on my iPhone X running 13.5.1.