Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

The only people who think Trump is capable of literally any level of strategic thinking are insane Q-Chuds, deluded accelerationists and idiot op-ed writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Chinese Gordon posted:

The only people who think Trump is capable of literally any level of strategic thinking are insane Q-Chuds, deluded accelerationists and idiot op-ed writers.

and people on this forum* who keep posting about how Trump is about to pivot an crush Joe Biden

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chinese Gordon posted:

yeah pretty much. i think there are some moderates types like my folks who believe that he has to be somewhat smart because he is president but that kinda poo poo has died pretty fast.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

and people on this forum* who keep posting about how Trump is about to pivot an crush Joe Biden

Those are the deluded accelerationists.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I already mentioned those.

It's entirely possible that Trump will still manage to eke out an EC win, but if he does so it will have nothing to do with any good strategic decision on his part. He is simply incapable of making them.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Maybe someone can quote one of these people claiming a “pivot” is forthcoming? I’ve certainly seen people claim that the Trump campaign’s attacks on Biden will find more purchase among the electorate when more people are paying attention to the election, which sounds reasonable to me. That’s not a pivot, that’s just the usual pattern of election years.

It still won’t make much of a difference, especially if Trump stays focused on culture war issues I think the electorate as a whole finds exhausting. Biden is the warm blanket they’re asking for, an ample supply of wool for their tired eyes—and the Let Trump Be Trump strategy shows no signs of stopping. Plus, the media would need to validate those attacks, as they often did with his attacks on Hillary (or, for that matter, the Dem establishment’s attacks toward Warren and Sanders this year). They have shown exactly zero interest in doing that, so I don’t know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is really trying to lose Arizona

https://mobile.twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1280549130851495936

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

rko posted:

Maybe someone can quote one of these people claiming a “pivot” is forthcoming? I’ve certainly seen people claim that the Trump campaign’s attacks on Biden will find more purchase among the electorate when more people are paying attention to the election, which sounds reasonable to me. That’s not a pivot, that’s just the usual pattern of election years.

It still won’t make much of a difference, especially if Trump stays focused on culture war issues I think the electorate as a whole finds exhausting. Biden is the warm blanket they’re asking for, an ample supply of wool for their tired eyes—and the Let Trump Be Trump strategy shows no signs of stopping. Plus, the media would need to validate those attacks, as they often did with his attacks on Hillary (or, for that matter, the Dem establishment’s attacks toward Warren and Sanders this year). They have shown exactly zero interest in doing that, so I don’t know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Well a pivot would be changing course and Trump backing off of one or many of his dug in positions. The easiest for him to do would be on COVID but there is absolutely no evidence he or the administration is thinking or willing to do so. Doing so would require Trump not only to admit failure and he was wrong but to have a level of compassion and humility that would likely get him votes and turn public perception around for him.

What you will see is a continued mad dash down the path of pushing racism and attempting to find a new culture issue to try and get the focus off of everything burning around them. Such thinking works great in normal times but when you are dealing with a pandemic coupled with economic disaster and near riots in the streets over racism and state sanctioned brutality and oppression you it ceases to work.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Djarum posted:

Well a pivot would be changing course and Trump backing off of one or many of his dug in positions. The easiest for him to do would be on COVID but there is absolutely no evidence he or the administration is thinking or willing to do so. Doing so would require Trump not only to admit failure and he was wrong but to have a level of compassion and humility that would likely get him votes and turn public perception around for him.

What you will see is a continued mad dash down the path of pushing racism and attempting to find a new culture issue to try and get the focus off of everything burning around them. Such thinking works great in normal times but when you are dealing with a pandemic coupled with economic disaster and near riots in the streets over racism and state sanctioned brutality and oppression you it ceases to work.

I think the question is, "Who here, in D&D, is claiming that a significant Trump pivot is coming?" Because I haven't seen anyone make that claim either.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

and people on this forum* who keep posting about their urge to support ra*ists

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think a more interesting question is whose voters will be more willing to brave the Coronavirus in order to vote? I doubt we'll have it under control by then, but we might.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think a more interesting question is whose voters will be more willing to brave the Coronavirus in order to vote? I doubt we'll have it under control by then, but we might.

i mean the dem primaries have seen record turnout despite the virus

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

i mean the dem primaries have seen record turnout despite the virus

Yeah but those were mostly early on in the pandemic. It's tough to predict what things will be like by November.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hate to say this because it sounds doomsaying as all hell but Trump, and perhaps the GOP leadership too, absolutely seem like the types to let COVID run rampant in the hopes it'll keep Dems from voting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hate to say this because it sounds doomsaying as all hell but Trump, and perhaps the GOP leadership too, absolutely seem like the types to let COVID run rampant in the hopes it'll keep Dems from voting.

they're doing something similar but a little bit different: they are trying to end voting by mail, lie about the risks to their voters, and hope that creates a turnout differential

the wisconsin republicans ran that exact strategy. people were pissed, and they lost a key Wisconsin senate seat - but it might work in november to give trump an extra point or two.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey all. I haven't had much time to peruse SA in recent months and just found this thread, and I'm wondering: Was there talk of a VP thread? There have been fun ones in the past — 2008 comes to mind (granted, that featured two non-incumbents and Sarah Palin) — but as far as I can tell, nobody's bothered this year.

And that's fine, as I assume everyone felt one was not warranted. I still like the discussion, though. Is groupthink (goonthink?) that it's still likely Harris, even though in recent days we've seen a growing case made for Tammy Duckworth?

As an aside, the most recent 538 podcast centered on what Trump could theoretically do to improve his #s. Dumping Pence was the first talking point, and while I doubt that happens ...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Real Name Grover posted:

Hey all. I haven't had much time to peruse SA in recent months and just found this thread, and I'm wondering: Was there talk of a VP thread? There have been fun ones in the past — 2008 comes to mind (granted, that featured two non-incumbents and Sarah Palin) — but as far as I can tell, nobody's bothered this year.

And that's fine, as I assume everyone felt one was not warranted. I still like the discussion, though. Is groupthink (goonthink?) that it's still likely Harris, even though in recent days we've seen a growing case made for Tammy Duckworth?

As an aside, the most recent 538 podcast centered on what Trump could theoretically do to improve his #s. Dumping Pence was the first talking point, and while I doubt that happens ...

I think there's just very little to discuss. Pence is the most boring man in the world, horse-loving aside, and the Biden VP search is seemingly intentionally being as boring as possible to keep the news focused on Trump.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

I think the question is, "Who here, in D&D, is claiming that a significant Trump pivot is coming?" Because I haven't seen anyone make that claim either.

You have absolutely have made similar claims about how Biden would be crushed by Trump in a debate because Trump is good at bullying; this is a little disingenuous to focus on the pivot aspect and not the underlying concept of Trump turning things around somehow.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This did not work in Wisconsin. e: As EW already said.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 7, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If Trump comes out swinging bully-wise Biden will probably call him a nutsack and I doubt it'd move the needle at all.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

I think there's just very little to discuss. Pence is the most boring man in the world, horse-loving aside, and the Biden VP search is seemingly intentionally being as boring as possible to keep the news focused on Trump.

All true. I'm sure it'll ramp up as we get closer to the supposed Aug. 1 target date for Biden's pick.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

You have absolutely have made similar claims about how Biden would be crushed by Trump in a debate because Trump is good at bullying;

...after which I said, "...but that won't matter, because debates don't matter. Biden will likely win." If you're going to accuse me of something, at least try to get it right.

Pick posted:

If Trump comes out swinging bully-wise Biden will probably call him a nutsack and I doubt it'd move the needle at all.

Given his debate performances so far this cycle, doesn't seem terribly likely. He hasn't done a great job of retorting when someone goes on the attack against him. (see: Harris, lol)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Another great ad

This one is about what asian community has had to deal with due to Trumps racist rhetoric and fearmongering

https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/status/1280539729952247808?s=19

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

and people on this forum* who keep posting about their urge to support ra*ists

Let's not do this. If you wanna disagree with someone on something they specifically posted, then that's one thing, but shaking your fist at "everyone who disagrees with you" about "whatever strawman you're assigning to them" gets tiresome sometimes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
e: nevermind.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Lincoln Project also has another anti-Trump ad out.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1280457599884935168

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epicurius posted:

lol this is by far the most blatantly directed at trump himself, i gotta say the idea of directly trolling the president through his tv is genius

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

the problem is that there aren't enough republican controlled swing states where significant voter suppression will tip the race. also, its much harder to suppress vote by mail than in person voting, and trump's voting base is older and sicker than biden's, so republicans actually do want vote by mail (they just want to suppress information about availability). ironically trump whining about it because he doesn't understand what it is hurts them.

there's a certain level of voter suppression baked in, and that level can increase to some extent in certain states, but coronavirus is actually more damaging to republican voting prospects than democratic.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Every blue and swing state at this point has either all mail-in voting or no-questions-asked absentee balloting; we're not where we should be, but it could be way, way worse.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Seeing a whole lot of news, polls, and campaign strategy in the last page of posting about posters.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Never-Trumpers like the Lincoln Project are absolutely trying to get increased access to a future Biden Administration. We know this because Biden has already signaled that he would welcome them into his administration:

quote:

Biden also said he would consider Republicans for some top level positions within his administration.

“One advantage of being around a long time is you get to know an awful lot of people. In the private sector, in the public sector, people who are committed — first and foremost — are thoroughly honorable,” he said.

“I have had literally several hundred serious, serious players who have been held positions in every department in the federal government who have said, including some Republicans, who have said if you win, I want to come back. I’m ready to serve,” he added.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Epicurius posted:

loving lmao.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Another great ad

This one is about what asian community has had to deal with due to Trumps racist rhetoric and fearmongering

https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/status/1280539729952247808?s=19

It is very hard to square this with the claim that Donald Trump is the most dangerous president in history. Like, he can’t even keep an attorney general for 2 years. How can anyone possibly think of him as a threat?

More importantly, who is the target audience for this ad? It feels a lot like preaching to the choir, which can be useful, certainly. “Energizing the base” is important to improve turnout.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is very hard to square this with the claim that Donald Trump is the most dangerous president in history. Like, he can’t even keep an attorney general for 2 years. How can anyone possibly think of him as a threat?

More importantly, who is the target audience for this ad? It feels a lot like preaching to the choir, which can be useful, certainly. “Energizing the base” is important to improve turnout.

the target of this ad are asian americans and people who don't like racist rhetoric

trumps inability to keep an attorney general is part of the reason he's one of the most dangerous presidents in history

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

Never-Trumpers like the Lincoln Project are absolutely trying to get increased access to a future Biden Administration. We know this because Biden has already signaled that he would welcome them into his administration:

This is roughly equivalent to "I'll consider making green beans with dinner tonight" in terms of how binding a resolution it is, but okay.

It was also said back in like April, and a great deal has changed since then.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

and still I repeat myself: give me West Virginia polls dangit

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dems and independents (people you need to win) also generally like the idea of bipartisanship, so saying it has no downsides; it isn't at all a guarantee that he will do it though, because many Republicans will likely refuse on the basis of harming their own GOP career and many other well qualified Dems he will likely pick instead who are higher priority.

Not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with appointing a Republican who is well qualified and ostensibly will do what is being asked in terms of Biden's agenda, but considering Comey its probably a bad idea to trust a Republican as a Democrat and I don't think Biden will take the same risk Hillary & Obama did.

Its a good thing to say to win; but probably won't be done in practice without good reason, and we shouldn't worry about it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

and still I repeat myself: give me West Virginia polls dangit

Why? Trump's gonna win there by 20+ points.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is roughly equivalent to "I'll consider making green beans with dinner tonight" in terms of how binding a resolution it is, but okay.

It was also said back in like April, and a great deal has changed since then.

As I pointed out in USPOL, his (more-progressive) ex-boss appointed two Republicans successively as SecDef. Thinking that Biden won't appoint at least some conservative Republicans to important positions strikes me as engaging in wishful thinking, given the trajectory of his career in politics.

e: also, as YMB pointed out there, Obama appointed James Comey FBI Director. Besides being an important factor in why Trump is president today, Comey partially made his name in the FBI by entrapping young, mentally ill or drug-addicted men of Middle Eastern ancestry into fake terrorism plots.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

As I pointed out in USPOL, his (more-progressive) ex-boss appointed two Republicans successively as SecDef. Thinking that Biden won't appoint at least some conservative Republicans to important positions strikes me as engaging in wishful thinking, given the trajectory of his career in politics.

And kept Comey as DOJ, there's nothing wrong with this in principle. If there's anywhere to throw a token Republican I'd prefer SecDEF over DoS, maybe DoE is also (relatively) harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

And kept Comey as DOJ, there's nothing wrong with this in principle.

One can make the argument that there's nothing wrong with it in principle, true. I don't agree with that argument, but I'm much more interested in how it would likely play out in practice. As you yourself acknowledge, Obama kept Mueller (I assume that's who you meant?) on as FBI Director, then appointed Comey to replace him. But Comey was already notorious for championing "enhanced interrogation techniques," (ie: torture) not to mention the awful sting operations I mentioned above. If Obama made such an appointment after he was reelected in 2013, why shouldn't we believe that Biden, his more right-wing former VP won't appoint even more awful ghouls to important positions?

quote:

If there's anywhere to throw a token Republican I'd prefer SecDEF over DoS, maybe DoE is also (relatively) harmless.

I think there are a lot of people in Libya who would dispute how harmless having war hawks in positions of foreign policy influence can be.

e: transplanting from USPOL:

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You kinda made them both out to be Curtis LeMay reincarnated.

I did no such thing. I did, however, suggest that they were hawks who pushed hawkish policies in the administration. Gates, for example, loudly beat the drums for war in Libya.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 7, 2020