Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PowerBeard posted:

Is the Typewriter Swooshable?

It's more of a swoosh-DING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

MarxCarl posted:

There’s definitely a different feel to them. They are different plastic than LEGO, I think Mega is styrene or close as plastic model cement will melt it. The moldings on the finished pieces aren’t as nice, there are a lot of grip problems, solid colors aren’t consistent between pieces,and that marbling is annoying to me. They don’t use stickers any more, or don’t have you apply them, and most everything is printed. They make/use a lot of specialized parts, have multiple types of the same part, ex. there are 2 types of cheese wedges low and high, and they like odd sized widths1x3 and 1x5. Oh and the set bags aren’t numbered, though that is due to LEGO copyrighting that. Lots of sets are hard to find and I find it hard to spend more than $20 US on them, well that or any clone/competitor brand.

Their instructions are available on their website https://www.megaconstrux.com and they have some really interesting building techniques.
Jumbo Pikachu is a interesting one to look at as it uses a lot of their building techniques and specialized parts https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/pokemon/sets/jumbo-pikachu

I like to think Ellison is somewhere bugging the poo poo out of Roddenberry

Yeah Jumbo Pikachu is sick and I gotta get that Jumbo Eevee, the pokemon subline is real fun, the smaller Pokemon sets really make for good 'ok i just want to build without a commitment' material. It's a shame they're all so drat hard to get, especially outside the US, luckily most of what I wanted has shown up on Amazon as import items but some stuff is just unobtainable without paying outrageous amounts of shipping on ebay

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Other posted:

Yeah Jumbo Pikachu is sick and I gotta get that Jumbo Eevee, the pokemon subline is real fun, the smaller Pokemon sets really make for good 'ok i just want to build without a commitment' material. It's a shame they're all so drat hard to get, especially outside the US, luckily most of what I wanted has shown up on Amazon as import items but some stuff is just unobtainable without paying outrageous amounts of shipping on ebay

Is there a release yet for the Jumbo Eeve? I've also been eyeing up the new Pelican from Halo Infinite.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

It's more of a swoosh-DING!

oooie oooh, ooohhh ieeeeee.

"stephen j cannel productions"

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The Blacktron III Nightbird racer, with towing/pit trailer and hauling tug. This wasn't built specifically with Blacktron I in mind, I just really like the navy blue/yellow/black/trans red color scheme and then realized it was basically Blacktron with an extra color.

The racer: Spacey Nix. Former test pilot, andrenaline junkie and wildly successful singer.
The tug-boat pilot: Max Fleetwood. Organized the pit crew, plays the drums.
The pit crew: J'onn McVi on bass and Lightspeed B-ham on lead guitar. Spend a lot of time doing crosswords in the trailer between races.

first draft
Each vessel went through several versions as I made changes, thought of improvements and went back and tried new ideas. The tug and trailer were both rebuilt from the ground up a couple of times, and even the Nightbird was initially a much weirder build with a flipped cockpit before I decided using the two transparent red cockpit pieces on top was dumb if nobody could fit in the back.

This build was a ton of fun! Thanks to Brawnfire and Feenix for making up the space race. It's been forever since I built anything and this helped motivate me to rearrange the garage and the craft room so I could actually reach my LEGO collection.

Quoting because this is intensely rad. Over the top great.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That ring's actually pretty cool, and most of those parts have Lego equivalents (or pretty close to them) so you could definitely make that out of Lego if you wanted.

Here's the instructions, go hog wild!

E: gently caress there's a whole nother page.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 3, 2020

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
I made the giant Mega Blox Enterprise. That was a pain in the rear end without numbered bags, and the lax quality control means the plates on the saucer don’t completely align, but it’s an impressive model.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It annoys me they’ve got the Trek license and have done nothing with it since that except doing Picard and Data as their weird minifigs.

That TOS Enterprise came out in 2016!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It annoys me they’ve got the Trek license and have done nothing with it since that except doing Picard and Data as their weird minifigs.

That TOS Enterprise came out in 2016!

Their TOS playsets were really hit or miss too. The Guardian I mentioned was great but the Day of The Dove “Engineering” set was an extremely basic wall with one sticker. I kinda dig their little minifig guys too, it’s a shame those were pretty much the only thing they did well with the license. And even then, like you said, they only made a handful!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego should make a grab for the new stuff; Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, etc. STW and Disco would nicely overlap into that TOS bracket.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Lego should make a grab for the new stuff; Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, etc. STW and Disco would nicely overlap into that TOS bracket.

And they can make the La Sirena from Picard out of just rectangle bricks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

And they can make the La Sirena from Picard out of just rectangle bricks

Hey. Hey. There's a sloping window at the front too.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Looking for some more interactive Lego for my kids and came across WeDo. The set on the Lego store seems excessively expensive? $300 for 280 pieces. Its difficult to gauge what you actually get when you buy the set, it doesnt really seem like a product aimed at being sold to regular people, but more of an eco system to sell to schools?

Mindstorms is fairly expensive as well but nowhere near the same price per brick.
Boost is the cheapest of the 3 and has more of a «normal» price/brick ratio.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Ineptitude posted:

Looking for some more interactive Lego for my kids and came across WeDo. The set on the Lego store seems excessively expensive? $300 for 280 pieces. Its difficult to gauge what you actually get when you buy the set, it doesnt really seem like a product aimed at being sold to regular people, but more of an eco system to sell to schools?

Mindstorms is fairly expensive as well but nowhere near the same price per brick.
Boost is the cheapest of the 3 and has more of a «normal» price/brick ratio.

I deal with those kits for work, and I wouldn't recommend them for regular enthusiasts. They're kind of meant to be part of a broader lesson plan, so you'd just get a bunch of disjointed builds that are all pretty small.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

A+ would pet

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

I deal with those kits for work, and I wouldn't recommend them for regular enthusiasts. They're kind of meant to be part of a broader lesson plan, so you'd just get a bunch of disjointed builds that are all pretty small.

I guess Spike is the same thing?

Why does Lego need FOUR different programmable motorized themes...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh. I need to use my current Batmobile display, which is the top of a dresser for something else more functional and now I don't know where I am going to put it. It's such a perfect place to display it too. I could even put it at an angle it's such a big space. Was thinking of buying one of the little wall shelves I've been using for my Star Wars UCS, but it's so wide the back wheels sort of stick off. That set deserves the best possible display area cause it rules.

The flat surface real estate problems of collecting Lego...

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Ineptitude posted:

I guess Spike is the same thing?

Why does Lego need FOUR different programmable motorized themes...

They're designed for different learning levels and for different lessons. I'm not sure how other places do it, but here the school district buys enough for one science class and then sends it around to schools as they need it. The costs get broken up by the 12 or so schools that use the sets.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

veni veni veni posted:

Ugh. I need to use my current Batmobile display, which is the top of a dresser for something else more functional and now I don't know where I am going to put it. It's such a perfect place to display it too. I could even put it at an angle it's such a big space. Was thinking of buying one of the little wall shelves I've been using for my Star Wars UCS, but it's so wide the back wheels sort of stick off. That set deserves the best possible display area cause it rules.

The flat surface real estate problems of collecting Lego...

I've seen it mounted vertically on a wall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/fmoz9l/wall_mounted_the_1989_batmobile_with_my_3d/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I’ve seen that. there’s just something strange to me about mounting a car vertically though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It would make sense if it was the Batman Forever batmobile.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I’ve seen that. there’s just something strange to me about mounting a car vertically though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6tXQyVLmHo
There's a precedent set.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Thanks for sharing that, now I know how I can display all my star wars lego, mount everything to the walls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The solution to display space problems is every six months disassemble something that's sitting on a shelf, build something else and put it there.

That way you get to enjoy building the set over and over again as time goes on. Or for more fun, build a modded version that "improves" it in some way.

I've done some sporadic searches for single set storage solutions so I can avoid the Massive Pile problem, but never really came up with anything. So I just use ziploc bags and sort by part type.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The_Doctor posted:

It would make sense if it was the Batman Forever batmobile.

Or the Arkham Knight bat-tank!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed, flush with wall mountings looks garbage

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Hey, that's my post!

It still hasn't moved, and that included demoing the room on the other wide of the wall to the studs and hanging new drywall. I've got Benny's SSx3 and both the Solo and TLJ Falcons on that wall as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Certainly not as fun as being able to display it at an angle and spin it around 360 degrees like I could before but I don't think this wall shelf worked out half bad.

The Batmobile is a bit wider than the shelf but it doesn't bother me like I thought it would

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You did engineer some wheel chocks into that shelf, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am triggered.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You did engineer some wheel chocks into that shelf, right?

Looks like it’s still on the stand...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just superglue it to the shelf

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol, yeah it's still on the stand. It barely rolls anyways.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mine’s now on a narrow Hemnes so both sets of wheels are in the air, lol

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Been working on improving the knockoff AE86 I reviewed a few pages ago because I cannot leave anything alone ever.

Total changelog from factory model:

- Replaced stickers for grill and door handles with brick-built solutions (as seen in previous post)
- Changed water glass in cupholder to paper cup (as seen in previous post)
- Changed hood and headlights to white to appear more factory / earlier in the Initial D series.
- Changed interior colors to be predominantly dark red with black accents to match the appearance of the car in the show.
- Redesigned rear of cabin and bodywork to even out the belt line and add white C pillars. Side windows had to be changed to opaque black as a result.
- Added spoked wheels.
- Modified engine / engine bay: shortened intakes, added air filter, added headers, added spark plug wires, added battery w/ wires, added radiator hose.
- Replaced the generic car seats with more proper Toyota seats.
- Filled gaps in front of windshield, inside of B pillars, above license plate, in front of headlights, and in dash.
- Stabilized rear rocker panel to keep it from getting knocked out of alignment when the doors are closed.
- Fixed 40-tooth gear ratcheting when steering wheel is turned by replacing some internal support pieces.
- Fixed all illegal techniques relating to pieces placed sideways over studs without enough clearance.
- Strengthened rearmost suspension linkage and hood hinges.
- Changed side mirror angle.
- Removed spoiler mounts.
- Indexed the hinged part of the rear deck so it stays in form properly.

my mods will now cost me more to purchase than the entire car did

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Where's the custom Fujiwara Tofu Shop printing?

Seriously though, I would actually buy your version of the kit. Even at $19 and still being a fan of the show I'm just not sold on the original model.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no way to squeeze part 19212 in there to get some kind of windscreen?

I can't really tell how big the hole to fill is so it might not fit but the width looks doable.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

There's no way to squeeze part 19212 in there to get some kind of windscreen?

I can't really tell how big the hole to fill is so it might not fit but the width looks doable.
I'm using the windscreen that came with the set, for which there is no exact LEGO analogue. I just can't render it since it's not in stud.io. Same for the mudguards - I'm using the official LEGO 1 x 6 ones as a placeholder (hence the gaps), but the set comes with longer 1 x 8 ones.

edit: I'm also not totally done with it because part of me REALLY wants to make that roof a tiny bit lower and flatter. The heavy curve on it is not very AE86-like, but is currently needed for the geometry of the windshield. We'll see!

edit 2: something like this

Now that's looking quite a bit more proper.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've been waiting for this lighting kit for like 2-3 months, and god drat does it own. Now just to have a long-rear end USB in order to have it powered on all of the time...