Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh it already too late, but the sooner the better. We know it takes about 2 weeks after a lockdown for new cases to start going down and about a month for deaths to start going down. We're on a rocketship to hell

Your best bet now is to just stay home and avoid other people as much as possible for at least another year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Der Shovel posted:

Real dumb news here in Finland. Our national hobby are ferry cruises to Sweden or Estonia. People go to get drunk, eat at lovely buffets, stock up on tax free booze etc. It's loving awful, but for some inexplicable reason it's heaven on earth for a certain slice of Finnish people.

Well, literally the second the government allowed them to, the ferries started running again and people started going on them. COVID-19 seemed to be a beaten thing here in Finland with only under 50 new cases each week, no new cases in my town in close to a month etc. Well, now people are getting infected again, because they're cramming onto cruise ships with other people. Our bureau of national health says they've identified SOME of these families and are contact tracing them, but not all of them.

As dumb as this would be, here's the real kicker: the ship lines have identified "a number" of people who have gone on these cruises while knowingly sick with COVID-19 but "tried to avoid other people" or "stay to their cabins".

This poo poo should literally be illegal. These motherfuckers should be going to jail, and not the good Finnish jail either. Send them to loving Alabama to break rocks or something.

Silver lining is Nurge lives in your country, maybe he'll take a death cruise for the lols.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Silver lining is Nurge lives in your country

You know it’s bad when...

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

Your best bet now is to just stay home and avoid other people as much as possible for at least another year

Not even kidding. I go out rarely and super shop when I do. I wear a mask everyone and am always on the lookout for cool ones. My favorite is actually the washable one my dad gave me. I KN95s with a one way valve, surgical masks, and N95s but I am saving the ones I have left for uh when it gets worse than now, just imagine a month from now, it is going to be a hell zone.

schmug
May 20, 2007

lol

p.s. anyone else having issues with twitter embeds not showing up on the forums?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, I'm pretty sure I got Rona, I took a test a week ago still don't have the goddamned results back, but I still have this sore throat and cough

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Michael Corleone posted:

Yeah I guess I phrased it wrong because she laughed at me too, I mean life going to stores and stuff. She is a nurse, not an RN so I would hope she knows better, so yeah, gonna have to think it through. I won't lead her on I am ready to sit the next year out till their is a vaccine, but most people aren't so she could find someone else. I'll talk with her more. A relationship would be hard because then I have to worry about her giving it to me, but that's what talking is for.

Buddy, maybe don't casually hang out with a nurse during a pandemic.

I get it, I tried this too. I had the riskiest hookup of my entire life, in late march as things were getting really bad in NYC. I went overkill with the PPE, went there, and then isolated from everything for 2 weeks the next day while being convinced I was going to die the entire time from the dumbest choice.

The real kicker was when she hung out with her friends in a group without a mask, posted a photo series of it to instagram, then got drunk, called me and invited herself over. To which I said gently caress no.

Just accept that if you're single, you will be single for a while.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I salute the brave Americans willing to live test the Herd Immunity theory on a national scale and regret only that the chinless wonders running this side of the pond didn't have the political balls to stick it out and lie through their teeth about the casualties for a bit longer. We are all going to die anyway, so what greater cause could there be to die for than in the service of scientific and medical progress?? I will be patrioticly licking pint jars down the local until I can successfully perform my duty.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

Not even kidding. I go out rarely and super shop when I do. I wear a mask everyone and am always on the lookout for cool ones. My favorite is actually the washable one my dad gave me. I KN95s with a one way valve, surgical masks, and N95s but I am saving the ones I have left for uh when it gets worse than now, just imagine a month from now, it is going to be a hell zone.

Wouldn't the one way valve mean that you're still exposing people to your potentially infected breath?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

ponzicar posted:

Wouldn't the one way valve mean that you're still exposing people to your potentially infected breath?

It's for when you have to go to work with chuds who don't wear masks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ponzicar posted:

Yes. You can glue or tape it shut pretty easy though. Or if no one else is wearing masks in your area there is no social contract so go hog wild.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just as a data point, Nevada started phase 2 of reopening May 29th and Reno started going apeshit with new cases around 6/19 to 6/24 (~3 weeks later) depending on how liberally you want to interpret apeshit. Deaths look like they're starting to ramp up on 7/4 or so, about 2 weeks after the number of cases started increasing.

The new cases "curve" is now significantly worse than it has ever been.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 7, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

johncandy posted:

Canada has 1 tenth of the population. If they had the population of the USA, they'd be at a million cases. Canada hasn't done that great either.

Your math is off some.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehowie/status/1280524580801708032

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes. You can glue or tape it shut pretty easy though. Or if no one else is wearing masks in your area there is no social contract so go hog wild.

This and Weird Al avatar. I don't know how to multi quote despite being here fro years. But yeah, if you aren't wearing a mask you don't care about yourself or others, so on the off chance I have it, (knock on wood) despite doing nothing dumb and maybe overkill, then gently caress you.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Der Shovel posted:

Real dumb news here in Finland. Our national hobby are ferry cruises to Sweden or Estonia. People go to get drunk, eat at lovely buffets, stock up on tax free booze etc. It's loving awful, but for some inexplicable reason it's heaven on earth for a certain slice of Finnish people.

Well, literally the second the government allowed them to, the ferries started running again and people started going on them. COVID-19 seemed to be a beaten thing here in Finland with only under 50 new cases each week, no new cases in my town in close to a month etc. Well, now people are getting infected again, because they're cramming onto cruise ships with other people. Our bureau of national health says they've identified SOME of these families and are contact tracing them, but not all of them.

As dumb as this would be, here's the real kicker: the ship lines have identified "a number" of people who have gone on these cruises while knowingly sick with COVID-19 but "tried to avoid other people" or "stay to their cabins".

This poo poo should literally be illegal. These motherfuckers should be going to jail, and not the good Finnish jail either. Send them to loving Alabama to break rocks or something.

Why would they allow cruises to sweden? We're the covid capital of the North. I totally understand why other countries ban our tourists. I think most people are fine with not being allowed to go on holiday in another country this year except politicians and media who are really mad at not being allowed in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Michael Corleone posted:

Start wearing an N95 for everything whenever it starts trending up in your area. They don't get used up from running errands

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Fader Movitz posted:

Why would they allow cruises to sweden? We're the covid capital of the North. I totally understand why other countries ban our tourists. I think most people are fine with not being allowed to go on holiday in another country this year except politicians and media who are really mad at not being allowed in.

The greater concern at least in the field I work in is jobs leaving for safer areas globally. If production moves to canada people are going to try and abuse the system to get travel exemptions if their livelihood depends on it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Anne Whateley posted:

Start wearing an N95 for everything whenever it starts trending up in your area. They don't get used up from running errands

I have 7 left. I have a few that I washed (never do that) and one that I didn't wash. I wear the washed ones with a surgical over or under it depending on my mood. You have to let them dry out for about a week, but you are right, I will wear them and maybe not go to the store expect for once a week or rotate two. I guess a goon on here could hook us up but they are 5 bux each and he would source them from a tattoo shop I guess.

fe; 7 fresh never been worn

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/dbmAztM.gifv

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm switching to the respirator..it's gonna be annoying to find legit 95 disposables even more then it is sooner than later. At least this way a reusable mask will go further and have better protection on top of it.

Who knew I'd be forced into metal gear solid cosplay, drat you 2020.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bad map, the Canadian cases are not geographically represented other than a single point per province. But otherwise, yeah we don't want no drat yanks up here.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The biggest headache in my life right now is the disconnect between my wife's family and reality.

My parents are both staying home outside of groceries and grabbing takeout. We saw them last week for the first time in a long time, and my Dad told me he had to live through this (he has COPD) so we could go to the movies together again.

My wife's parents are divorced, and her mom is "over the mask" in her words. We visited them a while back and she said we were being "crazy" because we refused to hang out inside or to go to church with them. Her dad is completely loving bonkers and thinks this is all a political hoax, despite his new wife being a nurse. His wife also thinks it's a hoax despite the fact that she's treated people with covid-19 AND she has loving lupus.

I do not know how the gently caress we're supposed to deal with this insanity for the foreseeable future. We do a Halloween party every year and have already told people it's probably not happening unless it's all virtual, possibly we'll try and do *something* outside. But nobody is coming into our house, especially not people who think the virus is a hoax.

I'm sure a lot of people are dealing with much worse, but it is loving exhausting to have to explain why we wear a mask, why we carry hand sanitizer, why we aren't "going on vacation", why we can't just hang out all day long, why we don't want to see her aunt and uncle that just drove up from Florida, and why we don't want to hug people and shake hands. I knew they were pretty hard Republicans, but holy loving poo poo I'm trying to be a good son-in-law here and they just make it impossible.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Looking forward to two weeks from now when American refugees start storming the border en masse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Fancy Hat posted:

The biggest headache in my life right now is the disconnect between my wife's family and reality.

My parents are both staying home outside of groceries and grabbing takeout. We saw them last week for the first time in a long time, and my Dad told me he had to live through this (he has COPD) so we could go to the movies together again.

My wife's parents are divorced, and her mom is "over the mask" in her words. We visited them a while back and she said we were being "crazy" because we refused to hang out inside or to go to church with them. Her dad is completely loving bonkers and thinks this is all a political hoax, despite his new wife being a nurse. His wife also thinks it's a hoax despite the fact that she's treated people with covid-19 AND she has loving lupus.

I do not know how the gently caress we're supposed to deal with this insanity for the foreseeable future. We do a Halloween party every year and have already told people it's probably not happening unless it's all virtual, possibly we'll try and do *something* outside. But nobody is coming into our house, especially not people who think the virus is a hoax.

I'm sure a lot of people are dealing with much worse, but it is loving exhausting to have to explain why we wear a mask, why we carry hand sanitizer, why we aren't "going on vacation", why we can't just hang out all day long, why we don't want to see her aunt and uncle that just drove up from Florida, and why we don't want to hug people and shake hands. I knew they were pretty hard Republicans, but holy loving poo poo I'm trying to be a good son-in-law here and they just make it impossible.

:sever:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tipps posted:

Looking forward to two weeks from now when American refugees start storming the border en masse.

Can I come if I have stairs in my house

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we have to clear out of our house periodically because it's being shown to potential buyers, so Saturday we went over to Newport Beach to drop some stuff for Father's Day and whatnot at my inlaw's place. have not seen them since February.

father in law opens the conversation- held with us in the car and them standing outside- with 'im just warning you im really agitated and i can't take it any more' and despite my best efforts to keep my loving mouth shut he absolutely could not help himself from running down the greatest hits of Fox News Curated Talking Points:

I TALK TO DOCTORS. YOU DON'T KNOW THE MENTAL HEALTH TRAUMA PEOPLE ARE GOING THROUGH NOT BEING ABLE TO GO OUT. ITS VERY REAL
AREN'T YOU WORRIED ABOUT YOUR KIDS SOCIALIZATION IF THEY DON'T GO BACK TO SCHOOL?
I KNOW YOU DONT CARE ABOUT THE ECONOMY BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE RESTAURANTS THAT WENT OUT AND BOUGHT FOOD AND SPENT MONEY AND ARE NOW GETTING CLOSED DOWN AGAIN (that's capitalism right? you live by it, you die by it?) GRUMBLEHARUMPH WELLLLL
IM NOT WEARING A MASK (it's not for you) OH PFFT *HANDWAVE*
IM 84 YEARS OLD I GOTTA GET OUT AND LIVE MY LIFE (you dont even come to your grandkids' soccer games or school plays, what the gently caress life do you have to live, i think the implication is he's 84 and there's only so many more times he can get his car washed or hang out at 'the club' bitching with the other olds before he stops sucking up resources in the form of social security)
WHAT ABOUT ALL THESE PEOPLE ON UNEMPLOYMENT THAT WONT GO BACK TO WORK? (i'm one of them. there's no jobs for them to go back to) YAH, WELL...*trails off into nothingness while conveniently forgetting the two months he spent badgering my wife for updates about their stimulus checks 8 times a day*

all of this without a mask 4 feet away from my 13 year old who he knows is not going back to school in the fall. loving rear end in a top hat boomers and olds have got to go

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 7, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Michigan is starting to reopen now and it's not looking good. MI had one of the strictest lock downs and reduced the curve dramatically for a while, but now people are sort of going apeshit, eating in restaurants, no masks, etc, and poo poo's going to get bad again fast. Strange to see how people have become blasé about it so quickly, like the early success is going to sabotage everything now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are you worried about storing your mask in your pocket? Do you think your life would be improved by a lovely plastic wallet to store your mask? Then Mask Guard may be for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnglJnbl5Hk
This costs :20bux: I have no idea what the point is, because if your pocket is full of pocket sand or old cigarette butts or whatever this thing won't even keep it clean.

The one for storing cloth masks costs 35 dollarydoos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstak66bu90

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
^^^^^^^^^^^Don't.

That is an anti masker talking point, storing your mask in your filthy pocket all day and touching it and other poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Michael Corleone posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^Don't.

That is an anti masker talking point, storing your mask in your filthy pocket all day and touching it and other poo poo.

I thought it was obvious that I wasn't actually endorsing a product that looks like they did origami with a 50 cent plastic report cover. It looks cheap as hell and does nothing. Just a dumb thing that has ads on facebook. I was gonna post it to the bad kickstarters thread, then realized it's not even a kickstarter.

naem posted:

store your mask ON YOUR FACE pls thnks tia

:hmmyes:

naem
May 29, 2011

store your mask ON YOUR FACE pls thnks tia

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Tipps posted:

Its sort of a joke and sort of not. Its happening a bit already. Americans keeps showing up at Canadian tourist spots and its pretty clear they arent "On their way to Alaska" or whatever the hell other excuses they've concocted to hide out from their own governments total failure to control the spread of the virus at home.

Not that I can even blame them for it, if you're surrounded by plague carriers and across the border is a land of low infection numbers and vastly better healthcare of course some people are going to find a reason to go there.

The main worry now is that it continues to get worse and worse in the states, more and more people are going to want to flee to safety, and Canada doesn't want to get dragged down by panic struck Covid carriers from a country that turned health into politics.

America is turning into the person that flails around wildly as they drown and the best you can hope for is that they don't latch onto you and drag you down with them.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

boar guy posted:

:words:

loving rear end in a top hat boomers and olds have got to go

Don't worry we're on track for Coronavirus thinning the herd. Patience, grasshopper.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

I'm the single-color heatmap.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Der Kyhe posted:

They are also really salty about this issue and have beem saying that "they need to re-evaluate the level of trust and cooperation between Nordic countries because of this".

Maybe re-evaluate your approach to dealing with your lung plague pandemic before calling your neighbors assholes for locking you out?

Guys I know I poo poo and puked all over the apartment instead of controlling myself

But your lack of cooperation cleaning my toxic infested mess is REALLY making me reevaluate our friendship

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

zer0spunk posted:

Silver lining is Nurge lives in your country, maybe he'll take a death cruise for the lols.

FREE NURGE

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:five:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

beer gas canister posted:

Michigan is starting to reopen now and it's not looking good. MI had one of the strictest lock downs and reduced the curve dramatically for a while, but now people are sort of going apeshit, eating in restaurants, no masks, etc, and poo poo's going to get bad again fast. Strange to see how people have become blasé about it so quickly, like the early success is going to sabotage everything now.

This was Pennsylvania about 3 weeks ago. We completely hosed up opening. Bars were all packed without anyone wearing a mask or even standing a few feet apart. Bar owners just bitched "Well, what were we supposed to do?" like there wasn't a basic blueprint they could follow for this.

Cases skyrocketed in a few counties because of this, forcing bars and indoor dining to close again (thank God).

That seems to have actually helped already, so hopefully people are getting it thorough their thick skulls that this poo poo isn't complex. Just wear a goddamn mask and avoid big crowds, especially indoor ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003