Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

I worked a side gig at a theater before the pandemic hit, have seen Hamilton probably ~50 times, and can confirm with authority that it loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Listen to DJ screw instead

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Pew Die Pie is the definitive Trump Era Literature.

Post edited just in case some poo poo head mod from Deb and Dis fucks me over.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Mar 22, 2022

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Eat from the trash can, learn from the trash can, going to see a movie with friends is not a good time to inform your friends of the trashcan of ideology.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Pew Die Pie is the definitive Trump Era Literature.

Does anyone else read that with die and pie rhyming with buy

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Re Search Party:

mysterious frankie posted:

It gets better as it gets worse; I stopped tonight around middle of season two and I wish I could tell you where the story has gone. It’s not what I was expecting (quirky people learn quirky lessons about their quirky lives) and keeps aggressively dismantling the trope.

Now you have me intrigued enough to consider watching again. To be clear, I'll certainly watch things with unlikeable characters (Seinfeld and House of Cards, etc.) but something about Search Party just hit me viscerally, a bit when cringe comedy (say, Peep Show) hits too close to the bone - it was all too awful and I had to look away. It was too real. Silicon Valley or Louis sometimes get a similar reaction from me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

nonathlon posted:

Re Search Party:

Now you have me intrigued enough to consider watching again. To be clear, I'll certainly watch things with unlikeable characters (Seinfeld and House of Cards, etc.) but something about Search Party just hit me viscerally, a bit when cringe comedy (say, Peep Show) hits too close to the bone - it was all too awful and I had to look away. It was too real. Silicon Valley or Louis sometimes get a similar reaction from me.

I finished season three last night. I feel like it could have ended just fine with season 2, but 3 is pretty great still. HBO has requested a fourth season; personally I'm hoping it's the last one, because while the writers always could keep stretching it out, part of the show's charm is that, unlike a lot of prestige television, they've largely resisted the urge to pad.

On the plus side, if you do want to give it another go, each episode is 20-22 minutes long and there's only ten episodes each season, so it's not a huge commitment to at least get to end of season 1, beginning of 2 and see where it makes its big departure from the original premise.
---
I've started on Alex Garland's Devs. The creepy tech cult does their mysterious work inside a giant hellraiser puzzle box located in Heaven's Home Depot, and episode two has both Dark Souls and the music of Low, so I'm down for now. Really, sound and visual design are 100% on point.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Farm Frenzy posted:

beyond the politics the actual music is just straight up embarrassing. epic rap battles of history poo poo

It's like if you gave a high school assembly troupe actual funding.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So Tiger King is just a Facebook argument set to film?

I mean, the doc does touch on some things, like worker exploitation, animal exploitation, the not so benevolent nature of Non-profit orgs, and other issues, but they are put aside to laugh at the crazy people with tigers.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yeah you pretty much just figured out why pop culture is useless for pedagogical purposes no matter how well intentioned the entire accepted documentary genre norm of pretending like you dont have an ideological bent just leads to weird poo poo like joe exotic coming off sympathetically because his gay campiness makes him seem cooler than carole baskins being a karenesque buzzkill

i still find it very funny how the entire american exotic animal scene plays off like a distorted parody of what people think chinese wet markets are like yet even in the middle of a pandemic no one stopped to ask whether these private zoos are a public health risk

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

tiger king is a high budget glossy version of a trashy true crime documentary. "did this woman kill feed her husband to the tigers? her house had a SEPTIC TANK buried BENEATH THE FLOORBOARDS!" etc etc. but the production values make you want to take seriously these characters like "bitter reality tv producer in a cowboy hat", "man who wiggles his eyebrows when you suggest he's a paid assassin".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1280262917506641922

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
None of those people have literally ever read any Atwood book not assigned in school

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

T-man posted:

Eat from the trash can, learn from the trash can, going to see a movie with friends is not a good time to inform your friends of the trashcan of ideology.

thats why you get a shirt that can do it all for you

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably posted this already, but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNATvJMPZaA

jesus gently caress watch perry mason already

this is the best television has been in decades oh my lord

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

lol no

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has Hamilton Burger showed up yet?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if Perry Mason ever felt bad for the prosecutors and let them convict an innocent defendant because he knew they were decent folks and needed a win.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Man, Devs really beefs a very basic part of its own story.

So Forest doesn't want the Devs system to use many-worlds interpretation to solve its problems with creating clear projections. Then, in episode 4, Lyndon uses many-worlds in order to solve the issues he's been working on with sound and is fired. Then, by episode 5, the whole system is apparently using many-worlds, and Katie is using it to see & hear things clearly. Forest also sees a clear image of his daughter. Also, Forest & Katie have been watching how the confrontation between Lily & Forest plays out over and over again for days now. But then, episode 8, Stewart catches Forest off guard by telling him the system is complete and is using the many-worlds interpretation, even though Forest would have to know this- or at least would have had to question how they got the system working so well so quickly with the De Broglie–Bohm theory- since he has been watching projections with a huge jump in clarity for a while now. Also, Forest is shocked when Lily throws the gun away, even though if the system is using many-worlds then he should have understood all the projections up until now are not necessarily accurate in our specific existence. Around episode 4 you can see Garland's interest in rewriting drafts waning and elements essential to the basic premise begin to unravel. Looks and sounds great throughout, but the story kinda falls apart and around episode 6 it starts doing this weird thing where characters start speaking directly to Lily, or to one another, about all the various ways Lily is an amazing person. Weird stuff.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah that show really tripped over its laces in the home stretch there.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Yeah that show really tripped over its laces in the home stretch there.

Still an incredible piece of TV and really clever, one of the best shows I've seen for the target it's aiming for, but drat if it didn't fumble the landing a bit more than it needed to.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

probably posted this already, but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNATvJMPZaA

jesus gently caress watch perry mason already

this show sucks rear end actually and is boring as poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

It's maybe one of the prettiest things I've seen made for television and for a while there it is strongly written, but around episode 5 I started going "Wait, if that... but that means... that doesn't" and that reaction only gets stronger right up to the end where falling out of the elevator apparently caused Lily and Forest to get downloaded into the Matrix... and while we're on that, why would Stewart think disengaging the maglevs would somehow stop Devs? Did he think it would cause physical damage? It obviously didn't, since Katie later shows the senator the system, so did he think killing Forest would fix things? Lyndon specifically points out to Stewart earlier that Forest is just an entrepreneur obsessed with seeing his daughter and is making no technical contributions, and is therefore incidental to the project. Killing Katie would make more sense, since she's the lead dev, but even then... you're not getting rid of the information at this point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's maybe one of the prettiest things I've seen made for television and for a while there it is strongly written, but around episode 5 I started going "Wait, if that... but that means... that doesn't" and that reaction only gets stronger right up to the end where falling out of the elevator apparently caused Lily and Forest to get downloaded into the Matrix... and while we're on that, why would Stewart think disengaging the maglevs would somehow stop Devs? Did he think it would cause physical damage? It obviously didn't, since Katie later shows the senator the system, so did he think killing Forest would fix things? Lyndon specifically points out to Stewart earlier that Forest is just an entrepreneur obsessed with seeing his daughter and is making no technical contributions, and is therefore incidental to the project. Killing Katie would make more sense, since she's the lead dev, but even then... you're not getting rid of the information at this point.

He knows that is his role, and the whole DEVS team believe that they cannot change their roles even when presented with evidence otherwise. It's a decent allegory.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/purplechrain/status/1280475143823929344

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Somfin posted:

He knows that is his role, and the whole DEVS team believe that they cannot change their roles even when presented with evidence otherwise. It's a decent allegory.

Upon reflection, it could very well have been because of Lyndon. When begging Stewart to help him get his position back, Lyndon says something like "Should an entrepreneur that wants to resurrect his dead daughter with Devs be in control of it?" Then Stewart goes ahead, applies the many-worlds interpretation to the system, sees a video of himself killing Forest, takes it as confirmation that his final answer is no, does it. He seems more or less out of it by this point, possibly (presumably) hearing about Lyndon's apparent suicide.

I do like the examination of the rot at the heart of tech specifically, and startups in general; that tendency to cult up, to make a god out of your "mission" and eventually exist to serve it. That said, some gods are lamer than others. It'd almost be cool, in an unsettling way, to serve a prescient quantum computer that lives in Tarsem Singh's pool house; think about all the dopes out there right now, worshiping and toiling in the temple of Soylent.

Still wish Garland hadn't lost track of his own timeline and goofed the ending, but there's a lot of good stuff there.
And I have to mention how beautiful Devs is every time I post about it, Jesus Christ. No youtube clip would do a scene like the one in episode five where they perform the first projection justice. The whole show is shot and scored so well.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Laterite posted:

Also, not exactly a ground-breaking comment, but that cast photo is basically nepotism.png.

L-R: Brian Williams's daughter, Simon Kirke's (drummer for Free) daughter, daughter of NYC art scions, daughter of David Mamet & Lindsay Crouse

About ten years ago I read a Mamet book about making movies. Maybe he was being facetious, but there was a section where he talks about there being so many Jews in Hollywood because they have bigger brains than everyone else thanks to centuries of rigorous religious study

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Fleetwood posted:

About ten years ago I read a Mamet book about making movies.

reminded me of this, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO_iSI87iBQ

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Fleetwood posted:

About ten years ago I read a Mamet book about making movies. Maybe he was being facetious, but there was a section where he talks about there being so many Jews in Hollywood because they have bigger brains than everyone else thanks to centuries of rigorous religious study

That's a pretty big tell for antisemitism in general.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7RocWHi_UQ

I haven't watched any of stewart lee's new stuff in a few years so im catching up and i'll be damned if "dolphins in a small tank being driven mad by their own sonar" doesn't sum up social media

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
fuckin hell lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImavjtFL9Zw

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Morrissey's let himself go

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

And I have to mention how beautiful Devs is every time I post about it, Jesus Christ. No youtube clip would do a scene like the one in episode five where they perform the first projection justice. The whole show is shot and scored so well.

The phone call scene is so loving beautiful and it so perfectly encapsulates how someone might break in that particular way, and the "ah-ha" of realising how much it explains about the character is about as good as anything I've ever seen.

What is it with Netflix and having the big glorious moment happen like halfway through, Haunting of Hill House had the same problem of a holy poo poo midpoint and then a pretty weak ending; it's on the level where I say "the first nine episodes are worth the cost of the tenth."

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Hodgepodge posted:

That's a pretty big tell for antisemitism in general.

iirc he's Jewish, but his point was that Jews are a master race

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Mamet, much like Frank Miller, had signs of brainworms years before, but 9/11 really pushed him over the edge.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Fleetwood posted:

iirc he's Jewish, but his point was that Jews are a master race

The difference between how proud Jews and antisemites talk about Jews is the adjective.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

when i was 11 or so my dad very proudly showed me a website with a 'list of famous jews' and then we got to the bottom of the page and it was full of spinning swastika gifs

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I’m at issue 111 of Cerebus and, at this point, it’s ridiculous to think Sim takes a turn for misogyny. This whole Tarim/Terim speech Cerebus is receiving on the moon thus far has been an excoriation of the patriarchy. This comic is wild, Sim is wild.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the misogyny turn comes after the author got divorced? There are a lot of cases where a seemingly or even genuinely woke author is understanding and insightful until suddenly he has a relationship go sour and runs screaming into the comforting embrace of misogyny rather than face his own mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I know right?